Options

Three 4G Rollout | Free 4G for ALL!

Comments

• Options
    eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take it that the 800 band would stand alone in some areas whilst working with the 1800 band in others? Surely a rollout of the 800 band has to be imminent for some of the major networks.
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eljmayes wrote: »
    I take it that the 800 band would stand alone in some areas whilst working with the 1800 band in others? Surely a rollout of the 800 band has to be imminent for some of the major networks.

Yeah I imagine a lot of rural areas will get solely 800MHz as economically it is better to do it that way need less masts. In cities I imagine it will be both 800MHz and 1800MHz which I imagine Three will likely look into using both bands for LTE-Advanced later on in there rollout probably around October next year when they will get there other 2x5MHz of 1800MHz spectrum.

Using 800MHz has already happened both Vodafone and O2 are using it as there main band. Only Three and EE haven't used yet probably won't either till VoLTE happens.
  • Options
    randolf105randolf105 Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Could the WiFi app work over 4G as a temporary measure until VoLTE is up and running?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    randolf105 wrote: »
    Could the WiFi app work over 4G as a temporary measure until VoLTE is up and running?

In theory yes that wouldn't be a problem if it was designed that way. It might not work if it isn't allowed though.
  • Options
    eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    Yeah I imagine a lot of rural areas will get solely 800MHz as economically it is better to do it that way need less masts. In cities I imagine it will be both 800MHz and 1800MHz which I imagine Three will likely look into using both bands for LTE-Advanced later on in there rollout probably around October next year when they will get there other 2x5MHz of 1800MHz spectrum.

Using 800MHz has already happened both Vodafone and O2 are using it as there main band. Only Three and EE haven't used yet probably won't either till VoLTE happens.
    Ah ok thanks- didn't know that O2/Vodafone were using the 800 bands.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing I about new wifi app, will it be good for incoming calls? with an iphone the wifi disconnects when it goes into sleep mode?

It depends if your settings tell wifi to go to sleep, if you do then it won't work.
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eljmayes wrote: »
    Ah ok thanks- didn't know that O2/Vodafone were using the 800 bands.

They are and that's why their building penetration is very good. Lower frequencies get through better. Vodafone are using 2600MHz in some areas now I have heard but that is likely to be for urban coverage although they can also use that to provide additional bandwidth for data in areas where they have heavy usage.

3 UK won a share of the 800MHz frequency range in the UK 4G auction (which they don't use presently) but use 1800MHz for 4G LTE.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    I've used Vodafone's femtocell before and Oranges UMA service. Both worked very well. Especially Orange's solution. It's a real shame Orange only did it on some really crappy phones and doesn't still use it today. That was a third party app though, albeit as a system app, so maybe it didn't fancy paying them to use it?

I wouldn't describe the Galaxy S2 as "really crappy", at least at the time. It was integrated into the phone's ROM (which was annoying because you couldn't debrand, and was beholden to Orange for updates).

I wish all the networks supported UMA and that phones did too. Nice, generic standard, just insert SIM and you're away. Full integration with the phone's applications. No crappy apps needed.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise the Galaxy S2 had it. I was thinking of those cheap Huawei and ZTE models, and not the San Francisco.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Galaxy phones had it and so did blackberry models.

But yeh, I think the S2 was the last recent phone to support UMA on Orange.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure what to make of this...

My town is listed on the 4G list for this year, my local cell site only had maintenance 10 days ago on a Saturday that was said to last for 4-6 hours, sure enough Saturday morning I noticed the signal had gone from 5 bars to 1 and the local site was obviously off. 2 hours later it came back, but my usual H when no data is actively being used changed to 3G just like I've noticed happen in 4G areas.

Now I look on the coverage map and more work is planned in just over a week, again for 4-6 hours. I suspect that I could be getting 4G'd due to the amount of work that seems to be going on.. we can only hope!
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    That sounds like normal maintenance

Very hard to say if that means a 4G upgrade. Do EE have 4G at your local site? Noticed any physical changes to the site?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    That sounds like normal maintenance

Very hard to say if that means a 4G upgrade. Do EE have 4G at your local site? Noticed any physical changes to the site?

The site is in a farmers field, I did go for a walk through there once and the farmer stopped me for a chat, but was actually quite friendly as there are some footpaths nearby. He didn't seem to mind me walking through his land - no shotguns out!

I'll take another wonder up soon and see if I can spot anything, although I wouldn't know what's new as I didn't really pay attention before!

EE coverage checker says "There's no 4G in this area*, but we're planning to switch it on within the next 6 months." so maybe this interruption is to put EE cells up on the site - damn them!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had maintenance on my mast about ten times in last year and a half still no 4g sadly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are they doing to them so frequently!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    What are they doing to them so frequently!

No idea it's a really old mast I think it just keeps failing so they do temporary fixes. Though by now if they had just replaced the stuff on it think it would of been more cost effective.

It's been saying EE within 6 months for around 10 months so would take that with a pinch of salt if I were you.

It's DC-HSDPA with a solid backhaul so not sure what is causing delay.

Even O2 has got 3G in the area now lol.
  • Options
    denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slowly it's coming to the end of five weeks of maintenance in my area. And if I don't get 4G at the end, I will scream like a little girl! :p
  • Options
    mupet0000mupet0000 Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My area is undergoing maintenance atm too. I've been complaining about poor service in my post code (dropped calls/texts not sending/data speeds of under 0.5mbps during peak). I live in a residential area like any other, as soon as I leave my area and go to another, my speeds improve dramatically. Literally 5-10 mins up the road I can get 8mbps compared to less than a meg.

Had maintenance on the 2nd for 6-8 hours and during the day I noticed no difference, my signal and speed was exactly the same, which was worrying as I thought I'd see some kind of change. They are now telling me that my area has capacity upgrades planned and going on until the 22nd.

Today I've noticed my signal is slightly worse than usually (1-2 bars rather than 2-3 bars) and it's idling at 3G rather than H. It was interesting when I went roaming in Italy on Three, their network always idled on 3G and switched directly from 3G to H+, I never once saw it go to H. They had some horrible hard caps on encrypted traffic though, any HTTPS was 35KB/s max.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm noticing a few more blackspots on the rail line I regularly use. I hope it's due to some 4G upgrades...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    planned maintenance in my area from 10th june till 16th june but i doubt it will be anything to do with 4G as on the coverage checker its saying no availability :(
  • Options
    mupet0000mupet0000 Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coverage checker has updated today, for my area at least. There's no difference in the map, but in areas where 4G coverage is shown it's now saying Very Good Service for 4G as opposed to 4G in the next 3 months. Previously, it was showing the 4G coverage on the map but the text said next 3 months.

Anyway, that's pretty disappointing as it's not very good service at all, considering I can't connect to it without forcing my phone into LTE only mode, and then I still get 0 bars with about -120dbm to -131dbm signal. And yea, that's in areas with supposedly "Very Good Service" for 4G.
  • Options
    Prof-xProf-x Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    Stafford town centre now has 4g as i was in town with a decent signal and 40Mbps downlink today. Uplink quite poor though at only 3-5Mbps.

No update to coverage check i suspect that will only come when most of the masts are done.

Then fingers crossed they come to stone to fill in the hole between stafford and stoke.
  • Options
    MinardiMinardi Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mupet0000 wrote: »
    My area is undergoing maintenance atm too. I've been complaining about poor service in my post code (dropped calls/texts not sending/data speeds of under 0.5mbps during peak). I live in a residential area like any other, as soon as I leave my area and go to another, my speeds improve dramatically. Literally 5-10 mins up the road I can get 8mbps compared to less than a meg.

Had maintenance on the 2nd for 6-8 hours and during the day I noticed no difference, my signal and speed was exactly the same, which was worrying as I thought I'd see some kind of change. They are now telling me that my area has capacity upgrades planned and going on until the 22nd.

I've also got Three chasing the same issues in my area. It was a problem when I first joined, then a new mast went up a couple of villages away (converted Orange site on a farm) and things were sorted. Now we're back to data speeds of 0.2Meg at peak (tested outdoors at 16.30 today) and alot of dropped calls and Network busy, it's been a gradual decline. Hoping they can get it sorted. I suspect it's congestion, as in the same spot at 05.30 last Sunday I got a test of 8.3Meg.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mupet0000 wrote: »
    Coverage checker has updated today, for my area at least. There's no difference in the map, but in areas where 4G coverage is shown it's now saying Very Good Service for 4G as opposed to 4G in the next 3 months. Previously, it was showing the 4G coverage on the map but the text said next 3 months.

Anyway, that's pretty disappointing as it's not very good service at all, considering I can't connect to it without forcing my phone into LTE only mode, and then I still get 0 bars with about -120dbm to -131dbm signal. And yea, that's in areas with supposedly "Very Good Service" for 4G.

I noticed that, but the coverage map is a bit of a mess at the moment. It hasn't been updated with the new overlays - it tells you 4G with no shading. Also if your browser isn't open wide enough to load the map it doesn't load. I hope they fix these issued.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Although not shown on the coverage map yet, Three have added 4G to at least two of their masts in Bristol City Centre.

The coverage map shows that you can get 4G in Bristol City Centre and the Broadmead area - however, you couldn't unless you had an Android and forced it to 4G only. For example, I have an iPhone and although there were traces of weak 4G signal in the Centre, my phone would pick up the strong 3G signal.

But yesterday, I noticed I had full 4G signal in Castle Park, Bristol - this has never happened before. (The spot where only GPRS signal is available on Vodafone...)

http://i.imgur.com/cycVgcf.png

I could also pick up a 4G signal in Broadmead - again, this has never happened before.

http://i.imgur.com/DLYsGCX.png

...and finally again for another place, 4G is now available in Clifton Triangle.

http://i.imgur.com/3u58UA2.png

The coverage map shows the City Centre, Broadmead and Clifton Triangle area as being blue (outdoor coverage). However, although the signal was available there, you could never pick it up. There has definitely been masts turned on in those areas. I suspect on the next coverage map update, there will be pink (indoor coverage) in those areas, now bringing 4G to very large parts of the city :)

Someone said early on in this thread that Bristol is fully covered in 4G - it's not. Go into a blue outdoor area, and you'll find your phone prefers the stronger 3G signal... even if you're outdoors. Basically, 4G is only properly available in the pink areas.
This discussion has been closed.