Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 27)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,062
    Forum Member
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    ^This. I wouldn't dream of turning up at someone's house without arranging it first.

To clarify, visitors were unexpected in the sense they turned up a day early - having driven from England. Obviously not tennis fans as who would drive from England during a Wimbledon final!

But I do often have people turning up out of the blue anyway. Comes from living in a central location, fairly close to the airport, and thus being on people's route. It doesn't usually bother me. I like seeing folk.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When did Federer shed that tear?
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    When did Federer shed that tear?

Yesterday on court during the trophy presentation.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jewels501 wrote: »
    A then new friend invited me for lunch on the Sunday of the 2008 Wimbledon final. She was astonished and shocked that I politely declined citing the tennis....:blush: She now knows me well enough to not make that mistake again. Although she still calls Rafa, "Raf".:D

Record the tennis, go to lunch. It will still be going strong after you have had your lunch. Dont do it again.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yesterday on court during the trophy presentation.

I meant when exactly during the presentation.
  • Options
    Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10k posts in a month, wow. We'll need a new part for the US Open.

On the subject of equal prize money, I don't agree with it. Some of the women have stated that they would be willing to play BO5 in slams, but there doesn't seem to be enough slack in the schedule to allow it (three forms of doubles, junior events, wheelchair events, seniors events).

Gutted that Fed lost the men's final. He served well but he wasn't consistently threatening off the ground, too content to rally for much of the match. It was as if he was playing with Gasquet's spinny FH.

Only in the fourth set did he actually unleash the FH. Not enough variation on the BH wing - 80% of them seemed to be topspin and CC. A mixture of those and slice/topspin DTL would've been more effective and kept Nole off balance.

As Fed was serving second in the final set, it was imperative that he got an early break. There were chances at 2-2 and 3-3 when Nole couldn't buy a first serve, but Fed was annoyingly timid on return. Also a smash failure at 4-4, which would've given him 15-30. Then Fed's serve deserted him and Nole hit some telling returns to take it.
  • Options
    odz1odz1 Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    You're too kind. I simply would have ignored the door, even if it was obvious someone was home. People really should phone first before descending on folks. :(

Happened to me as well. Cousins came down for a suprise after me watching match for over 3 hours and had to entertain them as rest of family out.

Missed last few games pretty raging wish they would phone first
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,580
    Forum Member
    denver23 wrote: »
    Maybe not - but I bet it is celebrity free. It is a part of Wimbledon I really dislike and I wish they would stop it. They won't but I wish they would. I don't mind former great tennis players being invited as they have contributed to the good of the sport but outside of that no. What the heck as Jack Nicklaus done for tennis? I know he was a top golfer in his day but what does he do for tennis. I know Sir Chris Hoy was a great cyclist but again what he does he do for tennis - or is he really that interested?
    I really doubt that 95% of these so called celebrities that are invited have any real interest in the sport let alone do anything for grass roots tennis. I don't mean to come across as bitter and I know that is just the way it is - but still.
    Has it ever occurred to Wimbledon to invite ordinary people who volunteer to give up their time for the good of their club and to to help the grass roots of the game across this country or in anyway help the sport? This a bit like what the FA do when they invite volunteers or give a supply of tickets to the FA Cup Final each year who help the grass roots of football. But then again these people don't really do it for any personal reward so even if they were invited they may not necessarily accept. But it would be an improvement than Ellie Goulding, Pippa Middleton and the like.

It happens at all the other slams, Wimbledon aren't guilty of doing anything that hasn't been going on for years around the world

What have Oz tv stars whose names I don't know got to do with Aus Open?
    What have Prince or Bill Clinton got to do with French Open
    What have Kevin Spacey, Will Ferrell, Ben Stiller or Sean Connery got to do with US Open?

Even the MS events have football players from Continent in the stands watching clay court matches. BBC may be guilty over increasing the number of shots to the Royal Box in recent years, but this isn't a new thing.
    Shappy wrote: »
    Unless you're a Brit, last year's men's final was a bit of a damp squib - straights sets with Novak hardly making a challenge. It wasn't sets won to love but it was all one way traffic and no one complained about that being a boring match.

Novak was playing well enough to win second or third sets, but Andy resisted and faught back. It was weird straights sets victory in that it didn't feel like one, especially with that long final game.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish Sampras would visit Wimbledon during the time it's on.
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10k posts in a month, wow. We'll need a new part for the US Open.

On the subject of equal prize money, I don't agree with it. Some of the women have stated that they would be willing to play BO5 in slams, but there doesn't seem to be enough slack in the schedule to allow it (three forms of doubles, junior events, wheelchair events, seniors events).

Gutted that Fed lost the men's final. He served well but he wasn't consistently threatening off the ground, too content to rally for much of the match. It was as if he was playing with Gasquet's spinny FH.

Only in the fourth set did he actually unleash the FH. Not enough variation on the BH wing - 80% of them seemed to be topspin and CC. A mixture of those and slice/topspin DTL would've been more effective and kept Nole off balance.

As Fed was serving second in the final set, it was imperative that he got an early break. There were chances at 2-2 and 3-3 when Nole couldn't buy a first serve, but Fed was annoyingly timid on return. Also a smash failure at 4-4, which would've given him 15-30. Then Fed's serve deserted him and Nole hit some telling returns to take it.

Is this a Novak gives up gluten moment, Cherry_Choc?

A post with NO multi-quotes?! :D

PS Agree on the match. Thing is, Djok is like a brick wall and everything comes back. Fed had to play like the old days to get anywhere, especially taking the ball as early as possible. It was play of the highest quality. Think it was Djok's returning which may have been the thing which eroded Fed's resolve???
  • Options
    denver23denver23 Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by denver23

Maybe not - but I bet it is celebrity free. It is a part of Wimbledon I really dislike and I wish they would stop it. They won't but I wish they would. I don't mind former great tennis players being invited as they have contributed to the good of the sport but outside of that no. What the heck as Jack Nicklaus done for tennis? I know he was a top golfer in his day but what does he do for tennis. I know Sir Chris Hoy was a great cyclist but again what he does he do for tennis - or is he really that interested?
    I really doubt that 95% of these so called celebrities that are invited have any real interest in the sport let alone do anything for grass roots tennis. I don't mean to come across as bitter and I know that is just the way it is - but still.
    Has it ever occurred to Wimbledon to invite ordinary people who volunteer to give up their time for the good of their club and to to help the grass roots of the game across this country or in anyway help the sport? This a bit like what the FA do when they invite volunteers or give a supply of tickets to the FA Cup Final each year who help the grass roots of football. But then again these people don't really do it for any personal reward so even if they were invited they may not necessarily accept. But it would be an improvement than Ellie Goulding, Pippa Middleton and the like.
    It happens at all the other slams, Wimbledon aren't guilty of doing anything that hasn't been going on for years around the world

What have Kevin Spacey, Will Ferrell, Ben Stiller or Sean Connery got to do with US Open?

Even the MS events have football players from Continent in the stands watching clay court matches. BBC may be guilty over increasing the number of shots to the Royal Box in recent years, but this isn't a new thing.

What you say is very true Mike - not that it necessarily means that they have to follow suit but yes it does happen at other slams.
    But Wimbledon seem to feel that they have to be different in a number of other ways - manipulating the seedings - which imho is just totally unnecessary, all white rule, other traditions - some if which are unnecessary (inviting other sports people on Middle Saturday - total waste of time - should be replaced with people along the lines that I have suggested - volunteers/charity workers who are doing something for the good of the game or even society in general and those that benefit).
  • Options
    denver23denver23 Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    tennisman wrote: »
    Spot on.

Put celebrities on there who ARE doing something for the game like Tony Hawkes whose Tennisforfree.com is providing FREE tennis for kids across the country on public park courts every Saturday morning.

Of course, to recognise Hawkes would show up the LTA and the AELTC who should be doing this.

While the tournament is without doubt the greatest in the game, the AELTC is the personification of elitism which bubbles underneath the surface of the sport in this country.

Tony Hawkes - that's who I was trying to think of when I was typing my initial rant!!. Thanks tennisman
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 116,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What you say is very true Mike - not that it necessarily means that they have to follow suit but yes it does happen at other slams.
    But Wimbledon seem to feel that they have to be different in a number of other ways - manipulating the seedings - which imho is just totally unnecessary, all white rule, other traditions - some if which are unnecessary (inviting other sports people on Middle Saturday - total waste of time - should be replaced with people along the lines that I have suggested - volunteers/charity workers who are doing something for the good of the game or even society in general and those that benefit).

Without knowing the identities of all the people in the Royal Box it may well be that they already do that.

The Beeb & press photographers will only show the famous faces.
    The Royal Box has 74 seats. They are dark green Lloyd Loom wicker chairs.
    British and overseas Royal Families are invited as well as heads of government, people from the world of tennis, commercial partners, British armed forces, prominent media organisations, supporters of British tennis and other walks of life.
    Invitations come from the Chairman of the All England Club, taking into account suggestions from members of The Championships’ Organising Committee, The Lawn Tennis Association and other relevant sources.

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/about_aeltc/201205091336583247824.html
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quote:

Originally Posted by denver23

I could not care less about them constantly flashing to the celebrities after every single point.

The constant camera shots of the celebrities are not the thing that brings the high TV audience figures. It's what goes on on court that's wholly responsible for the TV audience figures.

And all these celebs probably get a free ticket in as well. Disgraceful to say the least.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TBH, I'm kind of getting more bored with people complaining about the slebs, than the slebs themselves.

Yet it's not particularly a Wimbledon-thing, it's done all over the world, or even a sleb-thing. It's a TV-thing, they don't trust the audience to be able to concentrate for 5 minutes. It's the same as everything, flashy camera angles, busy screens. TV thinks we're all idiots.

I was watching a bit of Bucharest yesterday, lo and behold they were panning to the crowd constantly. I don't think they were royalty or A-Listers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,062
    Forum Member
    TBH, I'm kind of getting more bored with people complaining about the slebs, than the slebs themselves.

Yet it's not particularly a Wimbledon-thing, it's done all over the world, or even a sleb-thing. It's a TV-thing, they don't trust the audience to be able to concentrate for 5 minutes. It's the same as everything, flashy camera angles, busy screens. TV thinks we're all idiots.

I was watching a bit of Bucharest yesterday, lo and behold they were panning to the crowd constantly. I don't think they were royalty or A-Listers.

It happens at the French Open too, though to a lesser extent I think. I can't say I've noticed it at the US or Australian Open. It is irritating though. I don't care who's watching and it does somewhat interrupt the rythmn of the match. But that's something the BBC seem to have no knowledge of anyway, as they switch happily from crucial moments in one match to take you to another match happening several courts away. Watching match point when you haven't been following the match is meaningless and in the meantime you've missed things in the match you are following. Another of my bugbears I'm afraid.
  • Options
    natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theres some interesting pictures of Tomas Berdych from a photoshoot for a magazine doing the rounds :o:D:p

http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/11112104/how-tennis-star-tomas-berdych-stays-shape-mentally-physically-espn-magazine-body-issue
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 116,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

At some tournaments the director just cuts to shots of sexy women in the crowd.
  • Options
    computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope Murray wins the US Open to prove he's not done. I mean losing to Dimitrov? That's just disgraceful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope Murray wins the US Open to prove he's not done. I mean losing to Dimitrov? That's just disgraceful.

Seriously? why is that disgraceful?
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    rita1 wrote: »

Thanks Rita. Nice silhouette photo of Roger. You can recognise him straight away. :D
  • Options
    Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    natalie77 wrote: »
    Theres some interesting pictures of Tomas Berdych from a photoshoot for a magazine doing the rounds :o:D:p

http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/11112104/how-tennis-star-tomas-berdych-stays-shape-mentally-physically-espn-magazine-body-issue

There's also one of the gorgeous but mad Fabio that I've seen I would post it but the thread might spontaneously combust!:p
  • Options
    TheTrader78TheTrader78 Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me that was a better final than 08....again with the result I didn't want.

Would have been great to see Fed win it one more time but well done to Nole (hope he wins the French one day).
    Anything Fed wins in this stage of his career is a bonus....getting to another Wimbledon final was a bonus....hope him and Stan win the Davis cup later this year.

When he was trailing 5 - 2 in the fourth and won those 5 games on the spin that was Federer from 2007...it was great to see.

Andrew Castle. Magnificent hair, rubbish tennis bloke.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jewels501 wrote: »
    There's also one of the gorgeous but mad Fabio that I've seen I would post it but the thread might spontaneously combust!:p

Oh yeah I've seen that picture :D
This discussion has been closed.