Options

"Poor cow"

Comments

• Options
    Forget-me-notForget-me-not Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gilliedew wrote: »
    Is it just a saying which some people use as an insult and others use in daily use as if it is nothing.

My sister moved to London and came home saying it but meaning no insults, whilst we were shocked.

But it is a strange thing to call the love of your life when they are ill in hospital.

Exactly, certainly doesn't sound like someone in the first flush of 'lurve'. In fact everything he says about her seems to out of the tick box manual of how to be a BB lover but spoken with less emotion than he shows his toast. At this rate he will never get the 'poor cow' up the aisle for the Hello spread.
  • Options
    ucra girlucra girl Posts: 19,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clivefield wrote: »
    Let's all get the violins out for poor Steven. If he does not walk because Kimberly has gone it will just prove what a liar he is

Exactly it is all petty around here:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awww, the language of love. :blush:

I ffind it very strange that Steven cant even joke?I bet even the air he breathes is unacceptable eek.That was a coment in jest seriously.Next he will be villified for saying he loves her:confused::o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is it sexist? What on earth. Maybe where you live but up here it's just a sarcastic way of saying the poor sod, poor love etc. My mum's friend says it all the time when she's talking about her sister (her husband is a miserable tw-at) and her dog is sick at the minute, and she says it all the time. She's really nice and not some monster, so no idea what you are talking about.

I don't get why Steven said it though, it didn't really make much sense for him to do it, but if another HM had said it, particularly one of the girls, it would make more sense. It isn't really something guys say as it sounds bizarre. It's like a man calling another man love or hun, it's weird.

Exactly,how people dont see that was injest is beyond me.If any one else other than Steven said it there wouldnt be a thread.It is getting ridiculous:o
  • Options
    kezabellakezabella Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim Stark wrote: »
    Clearly we have quite a few holes in your elementary education to fill. (Which must be pretty embarrassing for you.)

First of all: it's a gendered insult. Which means it can be validly cited as a sexist comment. Further exploration as to whether the specific context in which it was used help qualify or compound it as a sexist comment might also be valid. But to dismiss it prima facie as not being sexist is quite strange. . .

Unless you're not even familiar with your farmyard animals. Which begs the question: just how early did you stop paying attention in school?

The gender neutral term is "cattle." Individually they're counted by head. A male is a bull. A female is a cow. They both go moo. Stop me when any of this is starting to sound familiar.

In short: feminist/gender relations theory is challenging. Animal gender really shouldn't be. Attempt to attain a firmer grasp on the latter before stumbling over the former.

Wow. Could you possibly be more patronising if you tried? :o Whilst you may see yourself as more educated than the poster, you certainly didn't learn any manners!
  • Options
    sherisgirlsherisgirl Posts: 2,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was born and brought up in Kent and TBH, silly cow, dozy cow, poor cow, silly moo, dozy mare etc,was every day language, it was never used offensively, it was when someone done something silly,funny or even stupid.

But times change and any little thing will set someone off.
  • Options
    eva_prioreva_prior Posts: 2,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is it sexist? What on earth. Maybe where you live but up here it's just a sarcastic way of saying the poor sod, poor love etc. My mum's friend says it all the time when she's talking about her sister (her husband is a miserable tw-at) and her dog is sick at the minute, and she says it all the time. She's really nice and not some monster, so no idea what you are talking about.

I don't get why Steven said it though, it didn't really make much sense for him to do it, but if another HM had said it, particularly one of the girls, it would make more sense. It isn't really something guys say as it sounds bizarre. It's like a man calling another man love or hun, it's weird.

I will therefore try to explain my post.

In my whole life experience to date, I have only ever ( without a single exception) heard it said about a female ( it's male equivalent being 'dog').

Primarily I have heard it said as a derogatory insult, usually preceded by the adjectives: mucky, filthy, stupid, disgusting, and poor. The latter adjective being said in either the sharp and quick manner Steven did or in an exaggerated condescending tone.

Occasionally, I have come across it's use in the affectionate manner similar to your family's scenario. However, that has involved the context of all parties exchanging similar sentiments whilst laughing/giggling together at the whole situation. So that all parties are aware from the playful context of the situation and tone of expression that it is being said in jest.

I did not perceive the context or the tone of how it was said by Steven as affectionate and playful.

I hope my post makes a bit more sense to you now?

BTW. I have live, studied, and worked up North, down South and in the Midlands; and never heard it used towards a male - derogatory or in jest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ucra girl wrote: »
    Exactly,how people dont see that was injest is beyond me.If any one else other than Steven said it there wouldnt be a thread.It is getting ridiculous:o

I didn't see it as a jest situation as the context was very serious (especially for Steven as he keeps saying he loves Kim). The were being told that Kim was staying in hospital and not returning to BB. How can you jest immediately after receiving that info about anyone, let alone your lover?
  • Options
    sandy_53sandy_53 Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    YesNoMan wrote: »
    Seems a little simplistic, unless you think "she" and "her" are sexist too. There was in fact a move to put that right with "s/he" and "hir" but it seemed so inconvenient and ... silly ... that everyone agreed we'd be better off keeping sexism.

Everyone?
  • Options
    EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure it was "Poor Kim" - just his awful diction getting in the way.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Poor Cow' sounds like the title of one of those 1960 working class kitchen sink dramas.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kezabella wrote: »
    Wow. Could you possibly be more patronising if you tried? :o Whilst you may see yourself as more educated than the poster, you certainly didn't learn any manners!

I'm perceiving Jim Stark as posting in jest/tongue in cheek, whilst delivering factually correct information. Not patronising at all IMO.

Overall, It's quite fascinating that a little thought that I lazily posted on the forum has caused this level of continuum of further posts. I was quiet happy with my first original and light--heard response from OP. I thought that tied up the matter beautifully.

When I take time to properly consider and do a detailed post, it usually gets ignored by other FMs !!
  • Options
    gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    'Poor Cow' sounds like the title of one of those 1960 working class kitchen sink dramas.:D

I was listening to a play on radio last week and it was about the actress who played the "poor cow" in the film. She was an English actress and went to Hollywood and I think had a liaison with Frank Sinatra.

Anyway, sorry for that, I just remembered it.
  • Options
    kezabellakezabella Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eva_prior wrote: »
    I'm perceiving Jim Stark as posting in jest/tongue in cheek, whilst delivering factually correct information. Not patronising at all IMO.

Overall, It's quite fascinating that a little thought that I lazily posted on the forum has caused this level of continuum of further posts. I was quiet happy with my first original and light--heard response from OP. I thought that tied up the matter beautifully.

When I take time to properly consider and do a detailed post, it usually gets ignored by other FMs !!

Possibly due to the fact people are over-analysing the term. I've always known it to be a term of endearment, if a bit old fashioned. Poor Steven can't do anything right lol
  • Options
    radiofreeradiofree Posts: 7,316
    Forum Member
    It's a term of endearment mixed with self pity.

It's the name of a Ken Loach film from the 1960's too.

Poor Cow
    A 19 years old London girl received agressive psychiatric treatments for her schizophrenic behaviour by a doctor who still wants her family to insure the guard of the child without any regards to the facts that it is this family who's agravating her situation.

Hmmm !

endearment? hmmm, okay. pity? i suppose. but where does self-pity come into it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Henrik wrote: »
    Beep beep all aboard the offended bus.

I wasn't offended in any shape or form, as he didn't say it to me or anyone I care about. I was just shocked he used what I regard as a derogatory term about the love of his life.
  • Options
    wotnotwotnot Posts: 9,565
    Forum Member
    kezabella wrote: »
    Possibly due to the fact people are over-analysing the term. I've always known it to be a term of endearment, if a bit old fashioned. Poor Steven can't do anything right lol

But IMO it's something you'd say about someone you don't know well or aren't terribly concerned about, a bit like having to say something in response but not having anything heartfelt to say. I find him insincere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GazzaBB wrote: »
    It's totally sexist. All cows are female.

Oh wait.

I love how people just say 'THAT'S SEXIST' every time a man speaks about a woman. Hilarity.

Clearly he didn't mean it the way all of you are interpreting, please stop overreacting. It's really embarrassing.

It's only 'lil' old me that's posted a single post about my thought, nobody else.

I've seen masses of posts about men talking about women without any direct or indirect reference to it being sexist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gilliedew wrote: »
    I was listening to a play on radio last week and it was about the actress who played the "poor cow" in the film. She was an English actress and went to Hollywood and I think had a liaison with Frank Sinatra.

Anyway, sorry for that, I just remembered it.

Yes, #25 has also explained it's a Ken Loach film. It sounds right up my street.

So I guess I can no longer think of Steven as a lazy good for nothing beast (don't want to start the sexism war again), as he does have his uses.

I therefore now kinda owe the huffalump one - eeeek - please don't tell him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    Desy Boy wrote: »
    After this episode I can't come to another possible conclusion.

Steve = Psychopath

Spot on. He's also a narcissist, though that's not unusual for a BBHM.

The Steve:Kimbo relationship is very intense in the confines of the BBH so I've no doubt Kimbo is just happy to be out and reflecting on how she can get back to normal without Steve.

Most likely she did feel unwell but wised up to the fakeness of the situation and decided to call it quits.

I don't think it was a fix by the producers as Kimbo wasn't likely to go this week anyway.

The psycho reference to Steve is interesting because if it was me at his age I would walk over hot coals to be with the 'new love of my life' whereas he doesn't seem too phased by Kimbo's departure. I'd be in bits for days, and every day would be worse than the last. Given that she has a boyfriend, who no doubt will muscle in on Kimbo again, I would be after her like a shot.
  • Options
    Captain KipperCaptain Kipper Posts: 9,913
    Forum Member

I can see Kim, tied to the kitchen sink, heavily pregnant with another "Goode child", then in walks Steven (wearing a flat cap) asking her if his dinner is ready yet...Kim slowly looks out the window and asks herself. Where did my life go so wrong
  • Options
    nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    Typical Steven :D
    sherisgirl wrote: »
    I was born and brought up in Kent and TBH, silly cow, dozy cow, poor cow, silly moo, dozy mare etc,was every day language, it was never used offensively, it was when someone done something silly,funny or even stupid.

But times change and any little thing will set someone off.

Times must have changed - I'm 40 and born and bred in Kent, lived here almost my whole life, and never heard a single one of those expressions (apart from 'dozy mare' (affectionately/in jest - never in sympathy) said even once - perhaps you need a farming background (???). Which Steven doesn't have does he?
  • Options
    adwaltonadwalton Posts: 4,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cythna wrote: »
    I think of 'Poor cow' as a slightly old fashioned, working class expression, used mainly by women. I can't remember the last time I heard in in real life. Just 'cow' is very rude, but 'poor cow' isn't. There is something rather dated about Stephen.

At least he didn't call her a Silly Moo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adwalton wrote: »
    At least he didn't call her a Silly Moo.

That's the basis of my original post. In my networks 'poor cow' would be considered in the same vein as 'silly moo.' A negative not positive term.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see Kim, tied to the kitchen sink, heavily pregnant with another "Goode child", then in walks Steven (wearing a flat cap) asking her if his dinner is ready yet...Kim slowly looks out the window and asks herself. Where did my life go so wrong

Yes, reminds me a bit of the film Alfie starring Michael Caine, and as he's talking to the camera his latest girlfriend is in the background doing housework. He's telling the viewer how he's bored of her doing all the chores and cleaning, and how she isn't the same pretty girl who was so full of life when he first met her, in a really patronising way. Poor cow.