Options

Man United Supporters Thread (Part 19)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,909
Administrator
Cantona07 wrote: »
I didn't read it on goal.com, I read it with direct quotes from his agent saying they had sat down with the boss and he had given it the green light.

I'm all for it tbh.
    Admin Notice: This thread is a continuation of: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1386745

Comments

• Options
      Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      You don't loan someone in January unless you're after a sale. I think Fergie may have deemed it time for Macheda to move on.

Rumours I'm hearing is that we're planning to tag onto City's bid to prize Džeko from Wolfsburg. Obviously it'll be down to wages, if the player sees it like that but apparently, and take this for what it's worth, we'll be willing to match any City bid up to a limit (not sure what that is) but want them to make the first move.

I think there's a minimum fee release clause too which means we won't have to go higher than around £28m anyway.

It would fit in with speculation that Kiko is now off.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Oh....19th thread.....probably going to be around for a few months...when we win our...19th title....omen perhaps?
    • Options
      Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
      Forum Member
      Dzeko is a promising player but I'm not sure he is worth the money being mentioned for him, what do you think?
    • Options
      Davey84Davey84 Posts: 5,296
      Forum Member
      i would take dzeko, he's only 24 as well
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Dzeko is a promising player but I'm not sure he is worth the money being mentioned for him, what do you think?

I think you have to look at the fact that he has a minimum fee release clause. To be honest, if we were in the market for strikers, how many top strikers out there would we be able to bag without getting into a foolish and ever escalating price war with either City, Madrid, Bacelona, Chelsea or some other side for whom money is no object?

At least with this one money, in terms of the fee, is taken out of the equation. There'll be no escalating war as the sale price is essentially already agreed in the players contract.

I think his credentials are very good too. I certainly don't see us being able to compete for anyone else in that bracket.

Even if Sir Alex bid £70m for one other player, City would deliberately bid £90m. So other than these deals, we stand no chance.
    • Options
      TribecTribec Posts: 9,332
      Forum Member
      The quotes by all accounts turned up on goal.com first of all. I've read the article myself, and as I said I find it strange with all this talk of Owen leaving one way or another that Fergie has sanctioned this.

It would be a kick in the teeth for someone like Kiko and Wellbeck if we signed Dzeko, as Fergie has for so long touted them both as long term members of our attack. I know Kiko's had his problems, and a loan move may well be the best thing for him, but to send him on loan and then sign another forward would suggest that Fergie no longer has the faith in him. I don't think our strikers have been that bad this season so far. Yes, only Berbs and Chico have scored, but we know that Rooney will come good once more, so we've got room for a young 4th striker to help out, learn and perhaps add the odd goal or two.

My personal concern is the midfield where it's looking increasingly like Gibson will be leaving, and probably Hargreaves too at the end of the season. That's not taking into the possiblity that Scholes may quit as well. Yes Cleverley is putting on quite a show at Wigan, and that Eikrem is doing everything asked of him in the reserves and deserves a chance with the first team. We are though short of one or two midfielders to be able to rotate with Anderson and Fletcher.
    • Options
      TribecTribec Posts: 9,332
      Forum Member
      I think you have to look at the fact that he has a minimum fee release clause. To be honest, if we were in the market for strikers, how many top strikers out there would we be able to bag without getting into a foolish and ever escalating price war with either City, Madrid, Bacelona, Chelsea or some other side for whom money is no object?

Fergie's done it before first with Ole, and last spring he snapped up Chico for a snip, rather than joining a bidding war. It's a matter of finding them and hoping no one else has found them as well. It's very rare to do something like that, but the talent is out there.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      Welbeck and macheda are a long was off the required standard so it's understandable that other avenues are being looked into.

Macheda isnt going to develop much further with us so a loan makes a fair bit of sense.

Welbeck and Owen will most likely be off and Hernandez still has a lot to learn

The striker situation could have a few twists and turns I think.
    • Options
      FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
      Forum Member
      Tribec wrote: »
      The quotes by all accounts turned up on goal.com first of all. I've read the article myself, and as I said I find it strange with all this talk of Owen leaving one way or another that Fergie has sanctioned this.

I saw a headline online the other day where Fergie said Owen was going nowhere in January and any story saying he was, wasn't true.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      Flukie wrote: »
      I saw a headline online the other day where Fergie said Owen was going nowhere in January and any story saying he was, wasn't true.

It makes a lot more sense to ship macheda out on loan in January than it does to get rid of Owen.
    • Options
      Forum Member

Is he the player mentioned just now on SSN as going to City in January? A fee for 27m being agreed on, and his agent is in the NW to get as much money as he can for the player in wages - otherwise known as 'discussing personal terms'
    • Options
      Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Not that fussed about Kiko going on loan - and I don't think it has negative implications either. SAF has seen how much a loan deal has helped Wellbeck and wants Macheda to get more of the same.

I'm not that bothered about a new striker either. Rooney's drought can't continue much longer and I have faith in Chico and Berbs (now ;))

And very happy with the defence. Even if Katy Perry and Riahanna were to tatoo my name on their buttcheeks I wouldn't swap that back four for ours.

It is, as always, the middle I'm worried about. Park is not mine or anyone's favourite player, but he will be missed. And look at how well Giggs played against Sunderland - because at his age he needed the gap of posponed games more than others. He and Scholes just can't do it every week anymore. GIBSON IS NOT THE ANSWER. HE'S NOT EVEN A QUESTION. GIBSON IS A CRY OF "OH NO...."

We can run away with this league, but we have to get the middle right. When's Valencia due back?

• Options
      Forum Member

We can run away with this league, but we have to get the middle right. When's Valencia due back?

In September it was said he'd be back the end of February. Then a few weeks ago it became 'January', following NASA 'water torture' treatment!

So February is probably the approximate time, at the moment.
    • Options
      SSReportersSSReporters Posts: 9,541
      Forum Member
      Wigan 1-0 up on Arsenal on one of the worst dives I've ever seen. Ref awards a penalty anyway and the Gunners are down.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ok arsenal are losing but i'd rather chelsea drop more points. both dropping pts would be even better.

so who is everyone cheering for in the arsenal v city match in the new year? For me, I'll be cheering an arsenal win.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Probably famous last words but Bolton have had the better of it at the Bridge thus far.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      It's difficult following the streams tonight. On the one I get excited when the blue team attack, on the other I get excited when they concede. There's always a split second confusion of excitement/panic whenever I glance over to the left of my screen to watch them both.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Arsenal are level. Fantastic bicycle from Arshaven.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      shit, 1-1
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Arsenal have had that coming for a while. Well deserved. It's almost criminal they're not ahead to be honest.

Corner at the Bridge. Chelsea just starting to get a strong foothold on the game now these last ten to fifteen minutes.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Chelsea haven't been over committing. Latest chance, they still had seven or eight men behind the ball. Perhaps sensible but are Bolton really a major counter-attack concern?
    • Options
      Forum Member
      Liverpool really are a poor football team.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      2-1 to Arsenal now. You have to say the've deserved it.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      The ball was played in and Bentdner almost stumbled with it into the penalty area. Unlucky one to concede from a defenders point of view but Wigan deserve nothing thus far. The fact they've scored must have been an act of divine intervention.
    • Options
      Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Chelsea haven't been over committing. Latest chance, they still had seven or eight men behind the ball. Perhaps sensible but are Bolton really a major counter-attack concern?

Nope and they hardly win away either. Chelsea are scared out of their wits.

EDIT: Arsenal 2-1 up.
    This discussion has been closed.