Options

Ballroom and Latin American Dance Questions

Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just wondered if anyone would be interested in keeping a thread going, purely related to the dance, technique or otherwise? There are quite a few dancers and teachers on this forum and we all should be able to contribute and answer any questions. Great way to learn and understand what the celebrities should be doing and what the judges are looking for. Strictly dance enthusiasts only please:)

Comments

• Options
    tangos_with_timtangos_with_tim Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm interested! There used to be a Dance Teachers thread so that interested people could discuss the technicalities in a thread that was assumed to be objectively neutral in terms of the influence of personal favorites, but that died a death some years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm interested! There used to be a Dance Teachers thread so that interested people could discuss the technicalities in a thread that was assumed to be objectively neutral in terms of the influence of personal favorites, but that died a death some years ago.

That's great. I always find its good to hear other points of view. Hopefully there will be some interest and even more importantly some great questions!
  • Options
    Spin turnSpin turn Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds good to me.
  • Options
    pinkwaferpinkwafer Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to be a dance teacher but not ballroom. I have a good idea what things to look for though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pinkwafer wrote: »
    I used to be a dance teacher but not ballroom. I have a good idea what things to look for though.

That's good to hear, the more the merrier. Hopefully after seeing the shows over the weekend, some posters will have some thoughts they want to discuss after the dances.
  • Options
    Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a teacher or dancer but I love to learn about technique etc from our experts so can I join please?
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jennifer_F wrote: »
    Just wondered if anyone would be interested in keeping a thread going, purely related to the dance, technique or otherwise? There are quite a few dancers and teachers on this forum and we all should be able to contribute and answer any questions. Great way to learn and understand what the celebrities should be doing and what the judges are looking for. Strictly dance enthusiasts only please:)

I'm ex-Latin pro competitor and now teach both BB & Latin & would definitely like a thread to discuss more serious side of the dances, so definitely count me in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a teacher or dancer but I love to learn about technique etc from our experts so can I join please?

Not my thread of course but I would say you can most definitely join in. You don't have to be a dancer or teacher to want information, or voice an observation.

Jennifer F - this is your thread, so hope I'm not "treading on your toes" with this answer to CC ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    I'm ex-Latin pro competitor and now teach both BB & Latin & would definitely like a thread to discuss more serious side of the dances, so definitely count me in.

Welcome Kaycee and Caramel...spotted Spin Turn earlier too. I really would like this to take off as personally I am not interested in slagging off celebs or pro's, I don't actively follow one couple so am not a fan of anyone in particular. Just love dancing - good or bad ( perhaps not the bad...), so any critisism or point of view on here is intended to improve the celeb or just as a way of increasing our own knowledge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not my thread of course but I would say you can most definitely join in. You don't have to be a dancer or teacher to want information, or voice an observation.

Jennifer F - this is your thread, so hope I'm not "treading on your toes" with this answer to CC ?

No, not at all...I just started the thread as I can see that there seems to be a number of people more interested in technique etc this year. Everyone welcome to join in.
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought you started one last year? I can't remember what you called it. It seemed to be working.

EDIT

Found it

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1922109

Seems like a nice thread
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought you started one last year? I can't remember what you called it. It seemed to be working.

EDIT

Found it

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1922109

Seems like a nice thread

Well done Henry. I knew that I had rambled on last year, but I would not have had a clue on how to look for it. It would be nice I think, and more convenient if it was pinned to the top but I don't know how to do that. If there is not enough interest it will just disappear off the page.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shall I start with a question then?

Does the round and round pivoty step that the pros like to get their celebs dance in Strictly have a name? Just to clarfiy that I am, in terms of ballroom and latin syllabus, fairly advanced, as I am now on gold star 2. So I've done various syllabus steps with pivots in them (e.g. Reverse slip pivot in all 4 main dances) and travelling steps with a lot of turn (in VW) and off syllabus steps (kicks, rondes etc) but have never danced round and round pivots, but I know they are used a lot outside Strictly. So just wondered if they had a formal name.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spin turn wrote: »

Does the round and round pivoty step that the pros like to get their celebs dance in Strictly have a name? Just to clarfiy that I am, in terms of ballroom and latin syllabus, fairly advanced, as I am now on gold star 2. So I've done various syllabus steps with pivots in them (e.g. Reverse slip pivot in all 4 main dances) and travelling steps with a lot of turn (in VW) and off syllabus steps (kicks, rondes etc) but have never danced round and round pivots, but I know they are used a lot outside Strictly. So just wondered if they had a formal name.

Well done Spinny. If you mean the steps that travel around the corner ( this is the usual place to dance them), yes these are commonly known as pivots. Actually just a forward and backwards foot action, connected bodies passing, gives the illusion of going round and round. Of course, if you were just going round your partner, you would not get anywhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The pivoty steps are exactly that - pivots. They can be used in just about all the dances from waltz to paso; probably the only exception is Viennese Waltz where the steps are strictly limited. They can turn once, twice, or as many times as you like - right around the room if you like, but not advised!!!! Not a difficult step to learn, but they look effective, especially in the faster dances, which is why the pros use them so much. Does that help?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The pivoty steps are exactly that - pivots. They can be used in just about all the dances from waltz to paso; probably the only exception is Viennese Waltz where the steps are strictly limited. They can turn once, twice, or as many times as you like - right around the room if you like, but not advised!!!! Not a difficult step to learn, but they look effective, especially in the faster dances, which is why the pros use them so much. Does that help?

I find pivots incredibly difficult. But as I lead I can get my follower to do the pivots :cool:

I recently got some dance shoes off ebay with 4 cm heels and my pivoting seems to have improved. My weight is forced onto the balls of my feet so I imagine that has helped.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm now going to be contraversial Kaycee as I don't think they are easy at all. which is why in my opinion (of course) they usually look so dreadful on SCD. Yes they look effective to the onlooker as - for once on SCD - movement is generated, but I think thyey are more complex than they look. It is easy to dance them, but not easy to dance them well. I can dance them of course, but I would not say that they are easy for a beginner.No problem for most Pro's though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Spinny. If you mean the steps that travel around the corner ( this is the usual place to dance them), yes these are commonly known as pivots. Actually just a forward and backwards foot action, connected bodies passing, gives the illusion of going round and round. Of course, if you were just going round your partner, you would not get anywhere.

Ah ok. Hadn't notice that they started in the corner usually. Will take a look next time. :-)

Yes. Thanks. I guess they do look effective, although I'm not overly keen because it often looks like the female celeb is being pulled round. Right round the room would certainly not be comfortable. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find pivots incredibly difficult. But as I lead I can get my follower to do the pivots :cool:

I recently got some dance shoes off ebay with 4 cm heels and my pivoting seems to have improved. My weight is forced onto the balls of my feet so I imagine that has helped.

Indeed, it would have. There is a ballroom saying regarding weight distribution.."balls over the balls"...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, it would have. There is a ballroom saying regarding weight distribution.."balls over the balls"...

Never heard that. Easy to remember.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah ok. Hadn't notice that they started in the corner usually. Will take a look next time. :-)

Actutally they don't need to start in a corner, but often do to get round one corner, along a short side and around the other corner, if that makes sense. Just with the continued rotation in Waltz for example, it is a lovely variation to travel around the corners.
    We have put them in other places too, and in other dances, but I think they look great around corners. Think Kevin used them in the same way with Frankie in their training video.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard that. Easy to remember.

Sorry for the crudeness, but it will stick in your mind now:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah ok. Makes sense. Re Henry's comment, my problem was also with getting weight over leg, but also body alignment (remembering to not turn it too much and break). If I remember that the pivots tend to work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just created a new move by chance which not unexpectedly is an old move called the Boleo. I thought the Boleo was something else.

I lead a pivot and just before the follower lands, lead a pivot right back in the opposite direction. The result is a lovely outstretched flicking leg making an arc.

I mustn't over do it though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah ok. Makes sense. Re Henry's comment, my problem was also with getting weight over leg, but also body alignment (remembering to not turn it too much and break). If I remember that the pivots tend to work.

At the point where you are coming forward, partner backing LOD, with your right foot coming forward and partner dropping foot back,well into knees, try and get the best connection you can here( contra body), both your weights should be forward towards each other. You don't really want to feel that you are fully over your right leg as that will take your weight into your partner. Even though you are on that right leg, by now you must try and develop a strong left side lead, and the partner does the same. You need to try and feel the volume in your top. As you come forward, I always think about my shoes doing the work ( the suede soles) and then keep the volume out to left, don't drop sides, feel that although my feet and going in a forward then back action, my body is forward to my partner thoughout all, body passing and around, then dropping my foot slightly backwards ready to receive my partner coming forwards. The person coming foward always has the power, even if lady comes forward in any steps, the lady then has the power. Think of that in weave actions.