Options

The 100 - E4 - UK Pace - NO SPOILERS (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something got me after watching the last ep. (Apart from: Where the hell is Kelly Hu?)

2,000 and change alive on station
    320 killed in the culling
    100 (101) sent to the surface.

So, call it 2,500 at start of series. If each family is only allowed 1 child that means that each generation would be halved. Conservatively, 3 generations of Spacers (kids on ground being 4th Gen) and take into account infertility and gender imbalance, you're talking around 8,500-9,000 originals. So why are there only enough pods for 700-ish?
    Am I off here? I have a headache

And. If the doctor isn't expendable due to her expertise. Why wasn't her husband who was the chief engineer when there was clearly a major problem that needed sorting asap.

Didn't say they'd only built 700ish so far, as they were returning to Earth sooner than expected?

Speaking of 'pods', I would have assumed that it's far more efficient to put down batches of people than 700 individual pods, as they did with the 100, so it would be only 7ish pods in that case.

I assume that population control is variable - 1 child for one generation, two for the next, or 50:50 every so often. If you're in space though, these shouldn't just be rules - it doesn't make sense that it was possible for Bell's mother to get pregnant and conceal it. It should be a goddamned dictatorship!
  • Options
    Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something got me after watching the last ep. (Apart from: Where the hell is Kelly Hu?)

So, call it 2,500 at start of series. If each family is only allowed 1 child that means that each generation would be halved. Conservatively, 3 generations of Spacers (kids on ground being 4th Gen) and take into account infertility and gender imbalance, you're talking around 8,500-9,000 originals. So why are there only enough pods for 700-ish?

And. If the doctor isn't expendable due to her expertise. Why wasn't her husband who was the chief engineer when there was clearly a major problem that needed sorting asap.

The total on ground of stationers was quoted as being 102 from grounders list, with 10 dead (the 3 added that died from episode killed by grounders). I guess he saw them burying the bodies from those that died in the crash. Whether that includes new girl that came down in shuttle pod I don't know, but since he's counting the 3 dead from the other week already, you've got to assume he added her to make it 102. That pretty much confirms for sure now then that Wells WAS counted in the official 100, with only Bellamy being the extra as 101, and now new girl (Rey?) counting as 102. So we got 92 left now. Unless I got this wrong (sounds not that good on my TV sometimes and may have heard the grounders notes read out wrong).

Also, the pods don't have to work out right. You assumed when they went up they intended for everyone to be able to come down. For all we know, their only goal was to keep enough people up there for bio-diversity (genes/DNA etc.) then just to bring down however many they could. After all, too few family lines would cause problems. Also,it's likely some pod parts got cannibalised for station parts to keep them alive in THAT moment rather than some mythical "back to Earth" 150 years in the future.
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In reality there is no way Finn could survive - no antibiotics & no sterile bandaging, but in TV land he's needed to continue the love triangle story-line, plus he's good-looking (I think I can say the latter without sounding like a paedo).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In reality there is no way Finn could survive - no antibiotics & no sterile bandaging, but in TV land he's needed to continue the love triangle story-line, plus he's good-looking (I think I can say the latter without sounding like a paedo).

Not really 'no way' no matter how unlikely, there's evidence from skeletons from way back to the neanderthal period of people surviving and living with injuries that could still kill you today.

I do expect he'll be up and around in no time like the geeky kid though, as if nothing had happened :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But they DO have antibiotics. It was like epsode 2 or 3. And yes, natural antibiotics can be just as powerful as some created ones. The ones I used were better than the crap I got from the doctors. Factor in a healthy immune system uncompromised by modern processed food and lack of excercise/sleep, and they stand a really good chance of healing. The thing most "experts" fail to take into account is just how powerful an uncompromised human immune system really is. The modern human is a weak specimen compared to days gone by, most of it due to the above lifestyle reasons.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do expect he'll be up and around in no time like the geeky kid though, as if nothing had happened :D
    Only if they go and get some more of that magic gunge-plant from the river!
    And if none of that moonshine got into his bloodstream.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take on your points, but Neanderthals were outside nearly all the time breathing fresh air, the 100 have lived on The Arc in an artificial atmosphere, the air they're now breathing has been contaminated by radioactivity; I would've thought that they'd be rather sickly due to a lack of Vitamin D due to a lack of sunlight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take on your points, but Neanderthals were outside nearly all the time breathing fresh air, the 100 have lived on The Arc in an artificial atmosphere, the air they're now breathing has been contaminated by radioactivity; I would've thought that they'd be rather sickly due to a lack of Vitamin D due to a lack of sunlight.

Some sort of more advanced full-spectrum lighting? Vitamin D can be produced now, they probably have some organic growing medium with full spectrum lighting situation to grow it. It's likely everyone gets a general ration that is laced with grown essential nutrients (Vitamin D is a hormone, so it's not like it's a limited supply mineral or something that they HAVE to recycle from poop/urine). It's highly possible they have some genetically created "skin layer thing" in a lab shone with the above lighting to produce vast quantities of it. They could even have a sun room, that filters all the harmful rays out and just lets the good in. A lot of the things you guys see as problems all have easy solutions, solutions we have in this day and age right now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering if we have this whole thing the wrong way round - they have been stuck in a metal box with 2000 other people, all sharing the same air, water would be an extreme premium commodity, everything they have been eating is recycled poop, so I think the Arc is most likely to be a germ-ridden flea-infested stinkhole. The open air and the mud and radioactivity is probably the best environment they have ever been in, and water falls on them for free from the sky without having to steal ration books so they have probably never been so clean either.

And the air they are now breathing isn't a smog of farts and armpits so that has *got* to be good for them.
  • Options
    boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the Ark sounds rather similar to the Galactica even down to the crew numbers ;-)
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    At least now we've been told how many of the Beautiful People are still alive
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Ark is an amalgam of several other space stations. I'm not sure fully functioning space stations would actually be equiped with pods capable of getting back to Earth for all the personel, as in an "Abandon Station!" situation they would expect any evacuation to mainly be Earth sending up shuttles to pick them up - maybe from space only 'life rafts'. Of course an all out war destroying all Earthside shuttles would'nt have been a contingancy...
    I would've thought the solution would be obvious - the youngest and fitest 700 go back to Earth, that leaves the older 1300 up in space but with plenty of resources to see them out their lives.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although I don't recall Lost giving over so much time to the torture of one of the characters though :)
    One of the main characters in Lost was a professional torturer. There was an episode more or less devoted to Syid and Jack torturing Sawyer.
    jenzie wrote: »
    and this is why it's at the BOTTOM of my list of series i'm watching .....

START PROJECT EXODUS
    DON'T COUNT NUMBER OF LIFEPODS
    They knew how many Lifepods they had. They had to start Exodus anyway, because they've run out of oxygen.

(I think they used up most of the O2 spacing adults for minor crimes, but that's another matter. They were still using that method of execution a year after the O2 deficit was known. They lost an airlock-full each time.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see the need for Ricky Whittle or Henry Ian Cuisick to be putting on American accents in this show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    They knew how many Lifepods they had. They had to start Exodus anyway, because they've run out of oxygen.

(I think they used up most of the O2 spacing adults for minor crimes, but that's another matter. They were still using that method of execution a year after the O2 deficit was known. They lost an airlock-full each time.)

I'm not sure they necessarily lost a whole airlock of oxygen, because they could surely suck it out before opening the doors?

As somebody pointed out near the beginning though - they lose a lot of resources just by floating them clothed. It's icky, but surely the naturally dead of the Ark must get reprocessed into food and water because they'd run out of natural matter otherwise?

I was half right about Finn being too, ahem, 'active' after his wound! Sex when you have an unhealed stabwound to the stomach would be a bad idea...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... but surely the naturally dead of the Ark must get reprocessed into food and water because they'd run out of natural matter otherwise?
    I think this is something that has to be added to the 'suspension of disbelief' bucket, we're already ignoring 99 years of air leaks! Put the calculator down, keep your hands in the air, hold it don't move I can see the way you're looking at that abacus, don't even think about it... though on the other hand it's important to be aware of what we are ignoring and why.

A bit like why only two of them went to look for that underground storage shed, given that "because that's monumentally stupid" seems to be used as the main reason for doing anything here. I'll get over it as long as there's enough recovery time.
    I was half right about Finn being too, ahem, 'active' after his wound!
    Shows how much you know. Magic red seaweed FTW :p

I am having a little trouble getting past them somehow being able to rustle up a still (and not least some ingredients for it) and unless that landing pod was a tardis I'm a bit confused by the appearance of crates full of rations. I dare say I'll get over it by next week!
  • Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see the need for Ricky Whittle or Henry Ian Cuisick to be putting on American accents in this show.

He actually suits it :D ... was surprised actually, he had an american accent in NCIS previous (haven't watched any of his other shows he is in so can't say if uses the brit or its american on those), I just find it odd though that the UK hardly uses its actors they got until they are big over there and they need them back over here a la Idris Elba (strange that?) and just my opinion (I only watched Hollyoaks a few times but wasn't keen on it) but in a way I am glad Ricky is doing really well over there compared to who we got from Reality Shows and being (cough cough) "actors"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is something that has to be added to the 'suspension of disbelief' bucket, we're already ignoring 99 years of air leaks! Put the calculator down, keep your hands in the air, hold it don't move I can see the way you're looking at that abacus, don't even think about it... though on the other hand it's important to be aware of what we are ignoring and why.

A bit like why only two of them went to look for that underground storage shed, given that "because that's monumentally stupid" seems to be used as the main reason for doing anything here. I'll get over it as long as there's enough recovery time.

Shows how much you know. Magic red seaweed FTW :p

I am having a little trouble getting past them somehow being able to rustle up a still (and not least some ingredients for it) and unless that landing pod was a tardis I'm a bit confused by the appearance of crates full of rations. I dare say I'll get over it by next week!

They were magic nuts, weren't they? The Ark talked about them gathering nuts and berries for winter.
  • Options
    boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kezo wrote: »
    He actually suits it :D ... was surprised actually, he had an american accent in NCIS previous (haven't watched any of his other shows he is in so can't say if uses the brit or its american on those), I just find it odd though that the UK hardly uses its actors they got until they are big over there and they need them back over here a la Idris Elba (strange that?) and just my opinion (I only watched Hollyoaks a few times but wasn't keen on it) but in a way I am glad Ricky is doing really well over there compared to who we got from Reality Shows and being (cough cough) "actors"

yes I'm glad he's doing well in the US

there's a thread on the DS Strictly Come Dancing forum that says he's the only ex-contestant who's managed to build a US tv career after SCD (most of them quickly fade into obscurity thereafter) http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1993060

I saw pics of him representing The 100 at SDCC and he looked like he was having a blast

here's a vid of him and the cast doing the ice bucket challenge (watch how Raven avoids a big soaking) :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24qorfLSkiE
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were magic nuts, weren't they?
    Fair point, should have thought of that, if there's magic seaweed it stands to reason there will magic nuts around the place, but these cannot exist without a dubious reference to a magic bone so watch out for that!

You need a *lot* of nuts/grain/berries to make even a one-person party, never mind two large flasks casually grabbed for medical purposes. But there was a tray of nature-type things on a table so that's the reminder of an entire off-screen shrub-scavenging community that I should have picked up on.

Maybe I missed the 'several months later' message on the screen (or obvious mention in dialogue), but I'm wondering if I should be keeping a calendar as well, not just a body count. Or I could just pay attention :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kezo wrote: »

I've never watched Hollyoaks, except for catching the end of it when I tune in for C4 News, not impressed. I saw RW in a show on Sky a few years back called Dream Team, in which he played a footballer, to be honest I think he gets parts because of his looks rather than his acting ability..... The Arc is supposed to be made up of a few survivors from the nuclear war that destroyed Earth - there's no need for them all to be American; we have no idea do we where they've landed, although I suppose it's supposed to be the USA - but in a different world accents would probably have changed, even language also (in fact I think it would be better if the grounder couldn't speak English & just grunted like some sort of cave-man).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boab34 wrote: »
    yes I'm glad he's doing well in the US

there's a thread on the DS Strictly Come Dancing forum that says he's the only ex-contestant who's managed to build a US tv career after SCD (most of them quickly fade into obscurity thereafter) http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1993060

I saw pics of him representing The 100 at SDCC and he looked like he was having a blast

here's a vid of him and the cast doing the ice bucket challenge (watch how Raven avoids a big soaking) :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24qorfLSkiE

Pity though as I still think say BBC or Channel 4 could have had him on another drama programme but of course they don't think that here!

Its like to me when Idris came back to UK screens in "Luther" I only knew him mostly from ab fab lol but it was great to see him back on UK TV and I think us in the UK are missing a trick with some of these actors (just opinion)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never watched Hollyoaks, except for catching the end of it when I tune in for C4 News, not impressed. I saw RW in a show on Sky a few years back called Dream Team, in which he played a footballer, to be honest I think he gets parts because of his looks rather than his acting ability..... The Arc is supposed to be made up of a few survivors from the nuclear war that destroyed Earth - there's no need for them all to be American; we have no idea do we where they've landed, although I suppose it's supposed to be the USA - but in a different world accents would probably have changed, even language also (in fact I think it would be better if the grounder couldn't speak English & just grunted like some sort of cave-man).

I will at least agree with you that they could have used actors like him to use his British accent but I think he is that use to it in America to use (I will say) default accent than his British one. I get your point of a grounder speaking like a caveman but then again it would be dragged out for far too long - bad enough the "violence" you see and what treatment this lot have given his character - I can't really judge alot on his acting ability but from the small part he done in NCIS to me was a turning point for me - as I took him as mostly someone doing soaps but to be doing more of these dramas in US he must be doing something right - if you meant to look at UK talent at the moment I hardly see anyone sticking out for me but I forgot the UK TV channels are full of reality, property, cookery programming (whilst dramas seem to stand out far and in between - again just my opinion and I can be wrong) :)
  • Options
    phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    Fair point, should have thought of that, if there's magic seaweed it stands to reason there will magic nuts around the place, but these cannot exist without a dubious reference to a magic bone so watch out for that!

I think Lincoln (the 'Grounder') has that and Octavia is going to get to see it before the season is out! :o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know when the parents on the Arc were talking to their kids on the ground via that Skpe type thing, well what happens when Mr & Mrs Murphy appear & want to talk to their son.......?