Death in Paradise - Series 2

Comments

• Options
    marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't know.
    After 5 minutes; shocked!
    After 10 minutes; still waiting for it to be a dream or something.
    After 15 minutes; is this a bad dream or what?
    Brutal; DI Poole dies and here's a little comedy! Too quick.
    After 30 minutes; i had to say to myself, would i have enjoyed this if DI Goodman had arrived in the first season? Yes.
    I'm a bit less excited at this point but after the shock has passed and a few more episodes...
    Thank god, Harry's still there! :)
  • Options
    RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    On reflection a lot of last night's episode for me was on Sara Martin's shoulders - Camille's reaction to the new inspector and her eventual acquiescence at the end to install him in Richard's desk at the end. The writers had some pretty obvious lines for Humphrey about not there to be Richard.

I am glad they made BM look more relaxed at the end - no tie - in my mind it shows he had made the smallest of concessions to Island life (well ok minuscule!!!). And between her reaction at the body and the little scene with her mother - well acted by SM. There didn't need to be masses of exposition, no matter how much I think it warranted it before the programme aired.

DJJ's "where him go?" when Humphrey fell out the window was hilarious!

My other favourite bit was the look of horror on his face at all the suspects in the room and the "what are they all doing here" - I will miss the BM/SM dynamic of course but it was not a bad start - let's see how it unfolds!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Kris Marshall fitted in well although Ben Miller's leaving was a shocker. The last thing I saw Kris Marshall in - Murder City? he was awful but in this, I think it may work well. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

(Although - I am not totally sure Richard Poole is actually dead - will he reappear in a dream sequence in Camille's shower? :confused:)
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Humph soon realised taxis were not the forward so hopefully he will have a Peugeot 403 Grand Luxe Cabriolet to drive around the island

A bright red Audi Quattro would be better :D
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't know.
    After 5 minutes; shocked!
    After 10 minutes; still waiting for it to be a dream or something.
    After 15 minutes; is this a bad dream or what?
    Brutal; DI Poole dies and here's a little comedy! Too quick.
    After 30 minutes; i had to say to myself, would i have enjoyed this if DI Goodman had arrived in the first season? Yes.
    I'm a bit less excited at this point but after the shock has passed and a few more episodes...
    Thank god, Harry's still there! :)

Those were my thoughts as well. I knew what was coming, but I thought the first new episode would have been much more subdued, the almost immediately return to slapstick seemed a bit crass to me. They had grown so close it just didn't seem right to me.
    It made me think that it might have have been better to let the "old gang" solve the murder of their friend and colleague and leave the arrival of Humphrey until episode 2.
  • Options
    Jennell_SierakoJennell_Sierako Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Too true.

Why do that unless............;-)

Enjoyed it more than I thought but whether that will last the series Im not sure.

Mind you Camille is so stunning its probably worth tuning in for her alone.

I obviously am too foreign to understand the rules on posting about people's appearance. I commented on another thread that someone seemed to me to be somewhat plain, but I said it had nothing to do with their acting and was just a passing comment. I was just typing what came into my head about the character. I was then told that that remark made anything else I ever said worthless.

However, it seems that if I had typed that the person was simply gorgeous, this would have been OK. Er, why?

Anyhow, much to my surprise I enjoyed this episode a lot. Those who are avoiding it should try it just once. You never know, you might actually like it.
  • Options
    StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Ben Miller in Death in Paradise, so was really not looking forward to the new series knowing that he would be killed off.

However, I decided to give it a chance with Kris Marshall as replacement and was pleasantly surprised, so hope this show continues to do well in the ratings. :)
  • Options
    RobbomanRobboman Posts: 848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A fan of Ben Miller (as everyone else is) and sad to see him go but then Kris Marshall did a great job. I'm now thinking that maybe a third series of the suit and briefcase might have started to grate a little so this might be a change for the good ultimately. The formula hasn't changed, the beautiful setting hasn't changed so if you erase the previous series from your mind and treat this as a fresh start I think anyone who loved it before should love it now.

After one episode, I'm still hooked
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    I loved Ben Miller in Death in Paradise, so was really not looking forward to the new series knowing that he would be killed off.

However, I decided to give it a chance with Kris Marshall as replacement and was pleasantly surprised, so hope this show continues to do well in the ratings. :)

Same here. When hubby put it on last night I said 'nah I'm not watching anymore now Richard's not in it. Kris Marshall is crap' but I decided to give the one episode a chance and *whispers* it was actually fine :D

I think I was the same with Criminal Minds when Gideon went out of it.
  • Options
    spectraspectra Posts: 2,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    Same here. When hubby put it on last night I said 'nah I'm not watching anymore now Richard's not in it. Kris Marshall is crap' but I decided to give the one episode a chance and *whispers* it was actually fine :D

I think I was the same with Criminal Minds when Gideon went out of it.

Has this not taught you to be less judgemental.

Wonder how much other stuff you may have liked but missed because of prejudging progs.

It's easy to give things a go and then not bother if you don't like. Unless you have no time to waste doing this of course.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have rather Richard had one more full outing then handed over to the new guy. Richard was a great character and I'll miss Ben Miller. :(

But I have to say that the new guy works, Kris Marshall is likeable as Humphrey and he is a complete opposite to Richard. Richard was always in a suit, smartly turned out, neat & tidy, hated being there and always wanted tea. Humphrey is casual a bit scruffy, writing on scraps of paper. I also liked how they showed him gradually enjoying the motorbike ride, turning down the tea and being surprised that he would reveal the killer in front of the suspects.

Nice touches. :D
  • Options
    teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pleased to see Hannah Tointon in the trailer for next week so soon after the Xmas Midsomer Murders:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    teeswolf wrote: »
    Pleased to see Hannah Tointon in the trailer for next week so soon after the Xmas Midsomer Murders:)

I must have been totally blind - I missed her completely!
    Must rewatch later!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    spectra wrote: »
    Has this not taught you to be less judgemental.

Wonder how much other stuff you may have liked but missed because of prejudging progs.

It's easy to give things a go and then not bother if you don't like. Unless you have no time to waste doing this of course.

Its not the programme - its more the dislike of Kris Marshall. I do fine with the amount of tv I watch. By the time I get home from work and settle down I probably only watch about 3 hours of television a day.

I gave Breaking Bad a try on Netflix over xmas and I've nearly reached the end of the seasons so I do try sometimes...honest! :D
  • Options
    StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was wondering whether the replacement for Ben would have affected the viewing figures, but according to the Ratings Thread they have been very good - over 7 million.
  • Options
    LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a shame that the BBC put such a blatant spoiler in their trailer, they could have had Humphrey saying he would find the killer of her friend but then not reveal which one that was.
    I was also disappointed that Richard didn't get any proper lines to say or a last scene with his friends.

Enjoyed Kris Marshall's performance, I am a fan of his previous work, but I am a little sad to say goodbye to the character of Richard who deserved much better (how horrible to be killed for something you know), he was so close to finding happiness on the island :(:cry: I also love Ben Miller so I'll miss him as well.
  • Options
    Mike_HowlandMike_Howland Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    We first saw Kris in 'My Family' and loved that character so couldn't wait for this series. I agree that Ben was great but the series did need a new face and Kris fits the bill perfectly. Looking forward to the next one already.
  • Options
    chrisw99chrisw99 Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, my penny worth.

Helen Baxendale did it.

Its always the biggest name in a whodunnit is it not ?

Hope im wrong.

:-)

Good theory, and it proved correct. So - Peter Davison did it next week then?
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RFS wrote: »
    Must rewatch later!

I only noticed Peter Davison and Michelle Ryan myself!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pointy wrote: »
    I only noticed Peter Davison and Michelle Ryan myself!

Yeah me too ... I couldn't remember her name!!!!
  • Options
    Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was all done in such a low-key fashion it made me assume it was all going to be revealed as trick. What a strange way to 'dispose' of a character, especially one who would have been too smart to have allowed that bunch of dullards to bump him off. I've never liked 'Kris' Marshall, and I think the programme makers presume people most like the show for the scenery rather than the relationship at its heart. Now that it's gone the dubious nature of the plots are laid bare.
  • Options
    teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RFS wrote: »
    Must rewatch later!

She was in the very first scene of the trailer only:)
  • Options
    Wench02Wench02 Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen it, but from the sounds of it, not a very interesting way of getting rid of Richard, and introducing Kris.

Obviously a character shuffle allows for new plots, however IMO they still had one more series of milage from Richard/Camille, and being stuck in his ways.

Still think the best thing to have done would have been to have packed him off back to London for a terrorist case; just think we could have had a spin off series then with him in London, and Camille could finally have told him.

BBC why did you write boring stuff!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've only just realised that Richard died and within what seemed like 24 hours the new bloke had flown lord knows how far across the world, arrived on the island and put his house at home up for rent :D
  • Options
    anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen a character whipped out of a TV Series so suddenly since Poochie left the Itchy and Scratchy Show. :D