Options

The One Direction Appreciation Thread (9)

Comments

• Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh just to add, it's been a while since the boys had a #1 single, despite SOML coming close in the UK. They could really do with one. After the flopping of You & I and disaster of Midnight Memories I'd like to see them getting inside Top 10 airplay too. It's a real shame they didn't follow up SOML with good singles.

Would you please stop going on about disaster and flopping! There has never been a boy band with this ww longetivity unless someone comes along and proves me wrong of course but no other Boy band has managed 3 consecutive albums debuting at number 1 in USA. Could we please celebrate what they have achieved and stop going on about the singles that didn't do so well because it's not like their lead single flopped and by the time of release the album had done so well most people had bought it anyway
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    I don't think there's anything wrong with talking about hopes for this album campaign/places where people think the previous album campaign could've been improved. I know I personally was disappointed with how Midnight Memories' promotion turned out because I think there were many more songs that could've been great singles that didn't get released while songs that didn't seem like good choices were not only released instead but then were not properly promoted. It all comes from the same place of being a fan and wanting to see them succeed.

A #1 UK single would be great and I think highly possible this go around. They had the misfortune of releasing Best Song Ever and Story of My Life last year during a time when there were lots of strong singles all competing for #1. I doubt they are too concerned about that now since both of those songs sold well (and while #1s are nice, at the end of the day sales are what matter). It's less competition so far this year, so a good single timed perfectly can be an easy #1. :D

I think they'll probably go the usual route of releasing a single sometime in September and then a follow-up single right before the album drops.
  • Options
    andi84andi84 Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cakesy wrote: »
    I think they'll probably go the usual route of releasing a single sometime in September and then a follow-up single right before the album drops.

I hope they do that, but they'd have to hurry up, since it we're nearly halfway through September :) As they're most probably going for a on air/on sale-strategy, they could still do it in September. And who knows, they might have shot the video in the last 2 weeks when they weren't touring?! Don't know if they've ever all been in the same place though ;)
  • Options
    abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    Would you please stop going on about disaster and flopping! There has never been a boy band with this ww longetivity unless someone comes along and proves me wrong of course but no other Boy band has managed 3 consecutive albums debuting at number 1 in USA. Could we please celebrate what they have achieved and stop going on about the singles that didn't do so well because it's not like their lead single flopped and by the time of release the album had done so well most people had bought it anyway

i agree, twingle...

sometimes i really wanted to tell her to get out of the AT and stay in the music threads and little nixes forums if she'd go on and on and on and on and on and on and on about negatives and flopping and disaster MM and y&i... ad nauseam... *clutches at anti-sickness medications...* :o >:( >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oopppss... sorry for the outburst... maybe just PTSS flashbacks from encounters with detractors bombarding the boys doomsday scenarios at every turn even when they were actually slaying it lolz...

in my defence, the immediate thought was: with "fans" like this, detractors would go out of business... smh!!
  • Options
    ImperfectPearlsImperfectPearls Posts: 1,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abrightyz wrote: »
    i agree, twingle...

sometimes i really wanted to tell her to get out of the AT and stay in the music threads and little nixes forums if she'd go on and on and on and on and on and on and on about negatives and flopping and disaster MM and y&i... ad nauseam... *clutches at anti-sickness medications...* :o >:( >:(

Yeah I agree too! Also the hate for Ben Winston is a bit much I think. The BSE and SOML video were amazing.
  • Options
    annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please, let's not all pile on one poster because we don't necessary agree with their views.
    There are enough threads turning nasty on this forum...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    annushka wrote: »
    Please, let's not all pile on one poster because we don't necessary agree with their views.

Yes, let's just enjoy any new music we get and welcome any more or less constructive criticism. Of course we don't need hate and only negative comments (it's an AT after all...), but I think we all wish One Direction the best possible success, we just have different opinions about how exactly that success has to look like...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

While I agree with you to a certain extent I do still think that dumdum has to be a bit more positive. She said in a previous thread that she can be quite negative so I was just reminding her about the positives!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and here's a positive

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6244242/one-direction-fireproof-million-downloads?mobile_redirection=false

Normal free downloads generate about 300,000 and the boys managed 1.1 mil in 24hrs !!:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lolz!! "10 signs that you just can’t live without One Direction" :blush::Dhttp://metro.co.uk/2014/09/12/10-signs-that-you-just-cant-live-without-one-direction-4862143/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One Direction to debut songs from new album ‘Four’ live on TODAY :)http://www.today.com/toyotaconcertseries/one-direction-debut-songs-new-album-four-live-today-1D80144902
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One Direction to debut songs from new album ‘Four’ live on TODAY :)http://www.today.com/toyotaconcertseries/one-direction-debut-songs-new-album-four-live-today-1D80144902

I am a bit confused by the phrasing... :blush:

-The group will debut songs from their new album "Four" in a special live performance on TODAY.
    -They will go to the Today show on Monday, Nov. 17, to mark the release of their fourth studio album.

So it's like the live concert thing they did in previous years...?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a bit confused by the phrasing... :blush:

-The group will debut songs from their new album "Four" in a special live performance on TODAY.
    -They will go to the Today show on Monday, Nov. 17, to mark the release of their fourth studio album.

So it's like the live concert thing they did in previous years...?

i think the venue will be different, it says Universal Orlando Resort which i assume is in florida... hopefully they allow lucky florida fans to watch them live... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think the venue will be different, it says Universal Orlando Resort which i assume is in florida... hopefully they allow lucky florida fans to watch them live... :D

Yes they will. Universal City walk in Orlando is huge so it has the potential to be bigger than their previous two shows on Today at 30 Rockefeller plaza.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liam sent the best birthday message to Niall: https://vine.co/v/OavJA6lAqh0
    :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ohhh, Happy Birthday, Nialler!! Mwuahhh!! Mwuahhh!! :blush: :kitty: :kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Haha, great message :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh wow at this . Loving it :D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BaU0QPGsuU
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andi84 wrote: »
    Haha, great message :)

What did he say? I can't get sound on vines
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    What did he say? I can't get sound on vines

He's wishing Niall a happy birthday, but doing it as if he was a famous person who Niall didn't know making a happy birthday video. Liam looks so damn fine in this video. :blush::blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cakesy wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything wrong with talking about hopes for this album campaign/places where people think the previous album campaign could've been improved. I know I personally was disappointed with how Midnight Memories' promotion turned out because I think there were many more songs that could've been great singles that didn't get released while songs that didn't seem like good choices were not only released instead but then were not properly promoted. It all comes from the same place of being a fan and wanting to see them succeed.

A #1 UK single would be great and I think highly possible this go around. They had the misfortune of releasing Best Song Ever and Story of My Life last year during a time when there were lots of strong singles all competing for #1. I doubt they are too concerned about that now since both of those songs sold well (and while #1s are nice, at the end of the day sales are what matter). It's less competition so far this year, so a good single timed perfectly can be an easy #1. :D

As I mentioned before, I don't think they'll do this. The new single has been announced today called Steal My Girl. http://www.onedirectionmusic.com/static/news/album4-single1.html

It's being released September 29th for the world outside of the UK and on October 12th for the UK. I do get really pi$$ed off with record labels holding back songs for the UK. Some don't like Taylor Swifts new one came out the same day worldwide. They're probably doing it for an X Factor performance or something, but why hold it back and not release it everywhere on October 12th?

I don't think they are going to release a second single before November 17th. That would only be six weeks or so after Steal My Girl. Seems like they are going for a different strategy this time.
  • Options
    String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happy Birthday Nialler!!!:)