Options

The One Direction Appreciation Thread (9)

Comments

• Options
    BluestoneBluestone Posts: 2,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When asked if the other songs on the album have a similar sound like 'fireproof' on twitter, the writer 'Julian's' reply was something like "err......not really?"
  • Options
    abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Niall sings a line that goes something like "it's been so long, so long and I know" in Strong as well. These boys, always pining and fighting fire :p

A few listens later and I like the song more and more. It's nice and chilled and I'm sure it sounded good on the radio yesterday. But I'm glad it's an album track - the first single needs to leave a stronger impression. I approve of this strategizing from Syco - no one was expecting it and the fans didn't leak the song (or even the news). I think there's a very good chance we could get the first proper single within the next month, and have two singles (or at least another album track) before November 17th.

http://youtu.be/RuIK2wCoy5A?t=2m17s
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluestone wrote: »
    When asked if the other songs on the album have a similar sound like 'fireproof' on twitter, the writer 'Julian's' reply was something like "err......not really?"

for me it's a good thing that they have something for everyone hi hi :blush:

i don't understand how other fans don't like "Something Great" coz i adore that song for it's honest and raw vocals (for me) esp harry's in the chorus..

imagine if they considered the consensus that time and scrapped the song... :o

to each his own... so please bring it on!! as they say: vive la différence :D
  • Options
    pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,104
    Forum Member
    Loving fireproof! Very different IMO
  • Options
    DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abrightyz wrote: »

Found it! Had the wrong song in my brain.

http://youtu.be/0usuO4NhBBA?t=26s
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found it! Had the wrong song in my brain.

http://youtu.be/0usuO4NhBBA?t=26s

ha ha... same words but won't be reminded of that coz of its different placement n the song...

it's as much the melody as the words "it's it's been so long" in Fireproof that reminded me of zaynie's voice in another song lolz :blush::kitty:
  • Options
    andi84andi84 Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These are the countries where FOUR is in the top 3 of itunes (as a pre-order, competing against "real" albums...):
    #1 United States (=)
    #1 United Kingdom (=)
    #1 Argentina (=)
    #1 Australia (=)
    #1 Azerbaijan (=)
    #1 Belgium (=)
    #1 Brazil (=)
    #1 Brunei Darussalam (=)
    #1 Bulgaria (+4)
    #1 Cayman Islands (NE)
    #1 Chile (=)
    #1 Colombia (=)
    #1 Costa Rica (=)
    #1 Cyprus (=)
    #1 Dominican Republic (=)
    #1 Ecuador (=)
    #1 El Salvador (=)
    #1 Finland (=)
    #1 Greece (=)
    #1 Guatemala (=)
    #1 Honduras (=)
    #1 Hungary (=)
    #1 India (=)
    #1 Indonesia (=)
    #1 Ireland (=)
    #1 Israel (=)
    #1 Kazakhstan (=)
    #1 Kyrgyzstan (NE)
    #1 Latvia (=)
    #1 Lebanon (=)
    #1 Malaysia (=)
    #1 Malta (+66)
    #1 Mexico (=)
    #1 Netherlands (+1)
    #1 New Zealand (=)
    #1 Nicaragua (=)
    #1 Norway (=)
    #1 Oman (+1)
    #1 Panama (=)
    #1 Paraguay (=)
    #1 Peru (=)
    #1 Philippines (=)
    #1 Poland (=)
    #1 Portugal (=)
    #1 Romania (=)
    #1 Singapore (=)
    #1 Slovakia (=)
    #1 Slovenia (=)
    #1 South Africa (+1)
    #1 Spain (=)
    #1 Sweden (=)
    #1 Switzerland (=)
    #1 Taiwan (+3)
    #1 Thailand (+1)
    #1 United Arab Emirates (+1)
    #1 Uzbekistan (=)
    #1 Venezuela (=)
    #2 Austria (-1)
    #2 Cambodia (=)
    #2 Canada (=)
    #2 Colombia (=)
    #2 Cyprus (=)
    #2 Denmark (=)
    #2 Egypt (=)
    #2 El Salvador (=)
    #2 Estonia (+9)
    #2 France (=)
    #2 Germany (=)
    #2 Greece (=)
    #2 Italy (=)
    #2 Jordan (=)
    #2 Kazakhstan (+28)
    #2 Kyrgyzstan (NE)
    #2 Luxembourg (-1)
    #2 Mexico (=)
    #2 Mozambique (=)
    #2 Peru (=)
    #2 Philippines (+2)
    #2 Saudi Arabia (=)
    #2 Trinidad and Tobago (-1)
    #2 Turkey (=)
    #2 Venezuela (=)
    #2 Zimbabwe (NE)
    #3 Bolivia (=)
    #3 Brazil (=)
    #3 Ecuador (=)
    #3 Honduras (=)
    #3 Hong Kong (+1)
    #3 Sweden (=)

--> numbers in brackets: change during the last 8 hours
    --> if a country appears twice on the list, the higher entry is the deluxe version, the lower one the standard album.
    --> it's #1 in 57 countries right now, that's more than it was yesterday, a couple of hours after the announcement!

Plus, they continue to be the #1 artists on itunes: http://kworb.net/itunes/
    Because they don't really have anything new "out" at the moment, they're "only" on 3357 points, compared to over 14.000 (!!!) the day MM was released. But that was mainly due to the fact that tons of songs were downloaded individually, which gave them so many points.
    Anyway, in short: They're longevity continues to amaze me. And what a great move yesterday to release this song for free out of the blue. Totally re-energised the fanbase!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a terrible interviewer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBlFOpk7A8U

She had to read all the questions from the paper, didn't seem interested at all, neither did Zayn, Louis and Niall :D
  • Options
    ImperfectPearlsImperfectPearls Posts: 1,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Omg fireproof has been stuck in my head all day at work! :D
  • Options
    String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andi84 wrote: »
    These are the countries where FOUR is in the top 3 of itunes (as a pre-order, competing against "real" albums...):

--> if a country appears twice on the list, the higher entry is the deluxe version, the lower one the standard album.
    --> it's #1 in 57 countries right now, that's more than it was yesterday, a couple of hours after the announcement!

Because they don't really have anything new "out" at the moment, they're "only" on 3357 points, compared to over 14.000 (!!!) the day MM was released. But that was mainly due to the fact that tons of songs were downloaded individually, which gave them so many points.
    Anyway, in short: They're longevity continues to amaze me. And what a great move yesterday to release this song for free out of the blue. Totally re-energised the fanbase!

Thanks for posting that. Incredible.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

thx, andi. :)

and it certainly re-energised me, lolz!! ;-) :kitty:
  • Options
    annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D
    Their longevity is truly great for a boyband.
    I think that many people expect a significant decline with the recent rise of other new teen acts (5SOS, The Vamps...) & 1D's (relative) lack of presence in the media, so it's nice to see the fanbase so energised.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me too :) Finally some new amazing stats and numbers coming up :D And it's only just begun ;)
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

LOL I cannot imagine you ever being de-energised :D:D:D I know that's probably not a word :D
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Andi for the amazing stats

Just realised no one has put a link n the music forum will go and do it and see what the reaction is?

BTW Will this record chart from views and radio play?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    LOL I cannot imagine you ever being de-energised :D:D:D I know that's probably not a word :D

tee-hee :D :kitty: :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "FOUR" still #1 in 44 countries... :) Amazing comeback, if you can call it that ;)
    And Fireproof is definitely a song which sticks in your mind after hearing it a couple of times!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One Direction's Free 'Fireproof' Scores 1.1 Million Downloads
    http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6244242/one-direction-fireproof-million-downloads

Good sign for the album sales, right? :)
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    annushka wrote: »
    One Direction's Free 'Fireproof' Scores 1.1 Million Downloads
    http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6244242/one-direction-fireproof-million-downloads

Good sign for the album sales, right? :)

Yes I think so.

I've just thought let's play the first week album sales in the UK and US game for this year Lol.

I am going for 270K UK and 600K US.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Yes I think so.

I've just thought let's play the first week album sales in the UK and US game for this year Lol.

I am going for 270K UK and 600K US.

Haven't you increased the figures once again compaired to MM? :o
    I expect a decrease tbh...
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    annushka wrote: »
    Haven't you increased the figures once again compaired to MM? :o
    I expect a decrease tbh...

I know what you mean but for them getting to 1 on pre orders alone in so many places I am very optimistic again. You were all laughing at my predictions last time Lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    I know what you mean but for them getting to 1 on pre orders alone in so many places I am very optimistic again. You were all laughing at my predictions last time Lol.

I know we did :) But I think 600k in the US is unlikely; happy to be wrong though :) I just don't know whether the considerably lower number MM has sold compared to TMH at the same stage last year is due to a reduced hype/interest in One Direction in the US or rather a consequence of poor singles choice?! So if the lead single is really strong and they manage to avoid an early album leak, they could have similar opening sales as last year.

I'd be VERY happy with another 200k+ opening in the UK and another #1 in the US (and anything above 400k). Especially the #1 thing in the US would be HUGE (first group scoring #1s with their first four albums), extending their Guinness World Record from last year :)

I might change my predictions though, once we see the sales numbers of the lead single :) I just wouldn't over-interpret the number of FREE downloads...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know we did :) But I think 600k in the US is unlikely; happy to be wrong though :) I just don't know whether the considerably lower number MM has sold compared to TMH at the same stage last year is due to a reduced hype/interest in One Direction in the US or rather a consequence of poor singles choice?! So if the lead single is really strong and they manage to avoid an early album leak, they could have similar opening sales as last year.

I'd be VERY happy with another 200k+ opening in the UK and another #1 in the US (and anything above 400k). Especially the #1 thing in the US would be HUGE (first group scoring #1s with their first four albums), extending their Guinness World Record from last year :)

I might change my predictions though, once we see the sales numbers of the lead single :) I just wouldn't over-interpret the number of FREE downloads...

Like you, I feel like I need more data to make a real prediction.
    For now I feel FOUR will do OK but not as well as MM, but it actually all depends on the lead single. I feel like its sales, airplay on radios (especially in the US and UK) & longevity in the charts would help me get a real idea of what to expect...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The high download demand is encouraging, particularly as the only promo for it is from tweets - the boys aren't doing any photocalls. There is a decent proportion of sales which will be physical CD purchases (e.g. Granny's Christmas present to Emily). I am wondering if the zouiweed thing might have put some of those buyers off. And the boys generally looking less wholesome teen idol-ish. The tour has been a success though and there isn't major competition for children's Christmas present money.

Fireproof is a great start as it invites new listeners/owners. I think first week sales will very much depend on the lead single (& hopefully a strong follow up like SOML) plus the promo the boys do. They will certainly have had two songs out before 17th Nov (sorry MTUK).

I'm going 500-520k in America and 200k+ in the UK. I don't think it will top MM in either unless they pre-release a SOML crossover song and/or a WMYB bop (crossing my fingers for the zaughty boy song).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh just to add, it's been a while since the boys had a #1 single, despite SOML coming close in the UK. They could really do with one. After the flopping of You & I and disaster of Midnight Memories I'd like to see them getting inside Top 10 airplay too. It's a real shame they didn't follow up SOML with good singles.