Options

Why does the Queen never attend funerals of other heads of state?

Comments

• Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the fact shes in her 80s now, but then she does still go abroad (I think)

But I hated when she didn't go to Princess Graces and sent the most junior Royal (albeit most popular) in her place

Diana was certainly not the most junior Royal, the newest addition maybe but in royal precedence ranking she was not. Also Diana wanted to attend as she had gotten on well with Princess Grace , Charles did not actually think she should go alone but Diana insisted and represented the Royal family.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    Everyone knows the queen is German.

Really

http://www.britroyals.com/royaltree.htm

What does one need to do to be British these days ?

The Queen is the 32nd great grandaughter of King Alfred who was bascially the first King of England from 871 to 889.

Henry VIII was her Great Uncle ( x14) , and on the German side George I ruler of Hanover became King of Great Britian and Ireland in 1708 !!! yet 305 years later the Royals are still referred to as German .

Odd isnt it that its deemed acceptable to call the Queen who was born in this country and with her ancestory German but it would be deemed rightly very unacceptable to say the same thing about a relatively recent second generation Jamaican or Indian etc person, in fact I am sure if someone did there would a huge thread and poll on the matter.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    She's also the Queen. If she cannot cut it, then it's time to pass the role to Charles.

She is queen for life. She has always said she will never abdicate and why should she.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Really

http://www.britroyals.com/royaltree.htm

What does one need to do to be British these days ?

The Queen is the 32nd great grandaughter of King Alfred who was bascially the first King of England from 871 to 889.

Henry VIII was her Great Uncle ( x14) , and on the German side George I ruler of Hanover became King of Great Britian and Ireland in 1708 !!! yet 305 years later the Royals are still referred to as German .

Odd isnt it that its deemed acceptable to call the Queen who was born in this country and with her ancestory German but it would be deemed rightly very unacceptable to say the same thing about a relatively recent second generation Jamaican or Indian etc person, in fact I am sure if someone did there would a huge thread and poll on the matter.

The queen is the product of intensive inbreeding,and shes married to her own cousin for crying out loud.........so shes obviously german!
  • Options
    xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is queen for life. She has always said she will never abdicate and why should she.
    Will she still be Queen when she is a ghost? :confused::eek::D
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Queen can do as she likes. Not everyone is in awe of Mandela, I wish someone would tell the BBC that, another four and a half hours on BBC one tomorrow FFS.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The queen is the product of intensive inbreeding,and shes married to her own cousin for crying out loud.........so shes obviously german!

He isn't her cousin FGS.

Interesting thinking that somehow inbreeding and being married to her cousin would make her German.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xp95 wrote: »
    Will she still be Queen when she is a ghost? :confused::eek::D

No but she will have died not abdicated.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she went, somebody would publish the cost to the tax payer of sending her and somebody would have a problem with the cost.

If I was her, I'd just stay at home and watch It on TV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    neelia wrote: »
    He isn't her cousin FGS.

Interesting thinking that somehow inbreeding and being married to her cousin would make her German.

The german part was a joke,and actually phillip is her 3rd cousin.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The german part was a joke,and actually phillip is her 3rd cousin.:D

which means he isn't her cousin.

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that he is her 2nd cousin once removed - also not her cousin.

On your thinking almost everyone is her cousin, even if they are her 556th cousin 73 times removed.
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its probably just old age. At least they are sending a royal
  • Options
    Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    which means he isn't her cousin.

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that he is her 2nd cousin once removed - also not her cousin.

On your thinking almost everyone is her cousin, even if they are her 556th cousin 73 times removed.

The post blatantly states that Prince Phillip is her third cousin. We had this discussion before on a different thread.
    Do you think incest is ok?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lil_M wrote: »
    The post blatantly states that Prince Phillip is her third cousin.
    which is NOT her cousin, which he claimed in the post quoted above
    We had this discussion before on a different thread.
    Indeed where you seemed to have little understanding of what incest is, i.e. ignoring the "close" bit of "close relation"/
    No but marrying your cousin is ok, never mind marrying your second cousin one removed.
  • Options
    PalafrugelPalafrugel Posts: 2,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bugloss wrote: »
    and anyway, if she watches the bbc, it'll be just like being there, all week

Aint that the truth.

Also Philip has no Greek blood in him. He was just Prince of Greece. They imported their Royal family because for some reason they wanted noble northern European stock?? The Greek royal family made a point not to marry anyone actually Greek. Their descent is mostly Scandinavian I believe.

I believe some Northern and Central European Royals do have Byzantine Royal ancestry, but obviously we are going way back..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    which is NOT her cousin, which he claimed in the post quoted above

Indeed where you seemed to have little understanding of what incest is, i.e. ignoring the "close" bit of "close relation"/
    No but marrying your cousin is ok, never mind marrying your second cousin one removed.

Seriously? Tell me the difference between cousin and third cousin? I really have no idea. She has married her cousin. End of.

Incest is not ok but ok to marry- huh?:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The post blatantly states that Prince Phillip is her third cousin. We had this discussion before on a different thread.

They are both , they are third cousins through Queen Victoria and second cousins once removed via Christian IX of Denmark.

And it is not incest in the legal meaning of the word or in the morally acceptable version of it.
    Seriously? Tell me the difference between cousin and third cousin? I really have no idea. She has married her cousin. End of.

If as you say you do not know the difference between a first cousin and third cousin then before shouting incest "end of" perhaps you should look into it.
  • Options
    PalafrugelPalafrugel Posts: 2,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Many Italians marry first cousins, but usually they have to go to the doctors before having children to check if it is ok to breed as the dna does not like it and turns out some right weirdos sometimes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are both , they are third cousins through Queen Victoria and second cousins once removed via Christian IX of Denmark.
    They are cousins. They are third cousins.
    And it is not incest in the legal meaning of the word.
    That makes it ok then.

I hear Cleetus is the 4th cousin twice removed and has Byzantine blood in him. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Palafrugel wrote: »
    Many Italians marry first cousins, but usually they have to go to the doctors before having children to check if it is ok to breed as the dna does not like it and turns out some right weirdos sometimes.

What have Italians got to do with this? :confused:
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's an old lady and has younger relatives who can do the job just as well (in this case the future King). Anyway, to be fair, this is the best time of year for tele, so she's probably got her feet up with a nice box of choccies and Strictly.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell me the difference between cousin and third cousin? I really have no idea.

First cousins are third-degree relatives and share 12.5% genetic overlap. Second cousins are fourth-degree relatives and share 3.125% genetic overlap. Third cousins are fifth-degree relatives...etc., etc...

They can be the grandchildren of two first cousins, or the children of two second cousins.

As for incest - in those parts of the world where there is a "cousin" taboo in defined incest - it's first cousin ONLY. Any deegree below first cousin is not incest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you have no idea but you are saying "end of"?? She did not marry her cousin she married her second cousin once removed.

A cousin is the child of a sibling of parent. A second cousin once removed is not that.
    Incest is not ok as that is having sex with a close relative. A cousin is not a close relative
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously? Tell me the difference between cousin and third cousin? I really have no idea.

Explanation here. "Third cousins" just means they share a great-great-grandparent (though admittedly it's a bit more complex in this case).
    She has married her cousin. End of.

So how distant a relationship would you regard as the cut-off point between "cousin" and "not cousin", or "incest" and "not incest"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And it is not incest in the legal meaning of the word or in the morally acceptable version of it.

If as you say you do not know the difference between a first cousin and third cousin then before shouting incest "end of" perhaps you should look into it.

thanks for that. I didm't realise :)