Options

Why does the Queen never attend funerals of other heads of state?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    The Queen did go to the funeral of King Baudouin of Belgium in 1993. They were third cousins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOQv1DIPuBc#t=405
  • Options
    Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Queen probably isnt going for security reasons
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's certainly too old to scarper out of the way of a demented signer...
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really; don't forget it also allowed her to avoid having to pick and choose WHICH ones to go to so as to not express support....or have her attendance interpreted as support...for a particular political stance or achievement.

When other Royals go in her place, they specifically go as personal representatives of the Queen, and not as state representatives.

That is a very good point, Phylo. I hadn't thought of that.
  • Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    The reason she sends Charles instead of her is because she knows that she is going to outlive him and she wants to give him some King treatment before he dies. When he dies he will of at least had some experience.

His brother Lord Lucan was next in line but he is dead now. He died in South Africa in 1999.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know age is cited as an excuse now, but if she's never attended state funerals then I think that's quite poor form.

If she snuffed it tomorrow then I'm sure her funeral would be jam packed full of other heads of state....

Because she would be a rare example of a HoS dying in post, so to speak
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Prince Charles has been taking over a lot of her usual engagements lately, it's just that she's elderly and in semi retirement. It was mentioned a while ago that she wouldn't be travelling as much.

She is so old she can't even travel from her home (Buckingham Palace) to the (London Palladium) for the Royal Variety show. I give her a week to live.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    The reason she sends Charles instead of her is because she knows that she is going to outlive him and she wants to give him some King treatment before he dies. When he dies he will of at least had some experience.

His brother Lord Lucan was next in line but he is dead now. He died in South Africa in 1999.

I feel sure there is a paragraph or two missing. :)

This is a red letter day for phylo - he finds out that JFK made the Queen Pregnant. She was elected and Lord Lucan is Prince Charles' brother:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just when I feel it's difficult for DS to suprise me anymore, humanity suprises me once again

Neelia...QED, really! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    good job you popped in today :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I feel so enriched by the experience :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    neelia wrote: »
    I feel sure there is a paragraph or two missing. :)

This is a red letter day for phylo - he finds out that JFK made the Queen Pregnant. She was elected and Lord Lucan is Prince Charles' brother:o

You missed the fact that if her birth year is correct would make her 8 at time of his birth. Shame her birth year and country is incorrect. She was born in 1911 in Berlin, Germany to German parents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You missed the fact that if her birth year is correct would make her 8 at time of his birth. Shame her birth year and country is incorrect. She was born in 1911 in Berlin, Germany to German parents.

eh????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    neelia wrote: »
    eh????

Everyone knows the queen is German.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member

Who married a Greek

It's kinda funny that The British Royal family have less "British Blood" running through their veins than most of the population
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    It's protocol that a Monarch doesn't attend a funeral of a 'commoner, though the Queen has broke protocol by attending Margaret Thatchers funeral.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Who married a Greek

It's kinda funny that The British Royal family have less "British Blood" running through their veins than most of the population

Her blood is of the Royal line don't matter what its nationality or if it is 40% proof she is the Monarch.
  • Options
    lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No she's not.

Queen Victoria (great great nan) English
    Albert (great great grandad) German
    Edward vii (great grandad) English/ German (born in uk)
    Alexandra ( great nan) Danish
    George v (grandad) English/Danish (born in uk)
    Mary (nan) English
    George vi (dad) English
    Elizabeth (mum) English /Scottish (born in uk)

Conclusion. The Queen has more ENGLISH blood than German
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    :D:D:D:D

Seriously, I didn't realise she was pregnant the . But still it doesn't explain why she doesn't bother now.

I think the fact shes in her 80s now, but then she does still go abroad (I think)

But I hated when she didn't go to Princess Graces and sent the most junior Royal (albeit most popular) in her place
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just heard that on Sky News that the Queen is sending Prince Charles to represent her at Mandela's funeral. Prince Charles is not our heard of state, she is and she should be there. It was the same back in 2005 when the Pope died, and just to prove its down to her age, she didn't even attend JFK's funeral in person and sent Philip in her place. She was still a young woman back then.

Does the Queen think she's more important than other heads of state or something?:confused: I was under the impression that she was genuinely fond of Nelson Mandela as well?

In her role as Head of State the Queen does not decide to go anywhere she goes at the instruction of the government of the day , she maybe invited somewhere or she might suggest she does something the government either agrees or disagrees.

These days she is an elderly lady so less travel is advised and also pPince Charles as heir has a job to do and is doing it.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Queenie is old now. Even Charles is getting on. Wills or Harry should go in their place, to such events, if they can't attend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know she isn't. She had had a few German ancestors, who themselves had British ancestors.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    She's an elderly woman.

She's also the Queen. If she cannot cut it, then it's time to pass the role to Charles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lola_skye wrote: »
    No she's not.

Queen Victoria (great great nan) English
    Albert (great great grandad) German
    Edward vii (great grandad) English/ German (born in uk)
    Alexandra ( great nan) Danish
    George v (grandad) English/Danish (born in uk)
    Mary (nan) English
    George vi (dad) English
    Elizabeth (mum) English /Scottish (born in uk)

Conclusion. The Queen has more ENGLISH blood than German

Pretty sure Albert had British ancestry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    She's also the Queen. If she cannot cut it, then it's time to pass the role to Charles.

She "cuts it" by delegating.