Options

What did he whisper?

Comments

• Options
    nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    I'm confused about the fact that she doesn't know herself as River. I assumed she grew up with them forest people and was brought up as River Song as their was no Pond Melody.

Brilliant point that I haven't seen anyone else bring up yet :)
  • Options
    hopscotch23hopscotch23 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    I'm confused about the fact that she doesn't know herself as River. I assumed she grew up with them forest people and was brought up as River Song as their was no Pond Melody.

Why did you assume that? I assumed after the end of AGMGTW to that she brought up on Earth but no-one said where she was hidden and brought up?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did you assume that? I assumed after the end of AGMGTW to that she brought up on Earth but no-one said where she was hidden and brought up?

Because River Song is Melody Pond translated into the language of the Forest.

If I was born as a Patrick but then you met me later and I was called Patrice it would be logical to assume I was brought up in France.

Obviously we don't know exactly what Melody's timeline is between Demon's Run and Leadworth
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    I assumed it because why else would she go from Melody Pond to River Song, unless the language of the people she was brought up with dictated it.
    Her changing from Melody to River because that's what the Doctor calls her later in her life, even though she's never heard that name before is a bit weird to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because River Song is Melody Pond translated into the language of the Forest.

If I was born as a Patrick but then you met me later and I was called Patrice it would be logical to assume I was brought up in France.

Obviously we don't know exactly what Melody's timeline is between Demon's Run and Leadworth

I was thinking about the whole 'Melody becomes River' transition as well today, and at first thought that maybe she became known as River - the archaeologist - to distance herself from Melody - the psycho killer - after working with the Forest people during her archaeological studies and learing about their language etc.

...but of course she knew by the end of the ep that she is River Song, so I wasn't sure if it maybe blows the theory out of the water, I don't know, and that maybe she just ends up as River Song because they told her she's River Song, and she learns the significance of it later...

...although this is SM we're talking about!!!! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perdita_x wrote: »
    I was thinking about the whole 'Melody becomes River' transition as well today, and at first thought that maybe she became known as River - the archaeologist - to distance herself from Melody - the psycho killer - after working with the Forest people during her archaeological studies and learing about their language etc.

...but of course she knew by the end of the ep that she is River Song, so I wasn't sure if it maybe blows the theory out of the water, I don't know, and that maybe she just ends up as River Song because they told her she's River Song, and she learns the significance of it later...

...although this is SM we're talking about!!!! :)
    I'm going to seperate them as:

Melody - Tries to kill the Doctor
    River - Doesn't

When that change occurs she'll become River
  • Options
    stick_of_rockstick_of_rock Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it was "You Are Not Alone"..? :O
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She wouldn''t know in this episode because this is a brand new freshly regenerated River. Not the same one that we've got to know over time. She didn't even know that she was called River Song.
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    temperare wrote: »
    But why did she respond with a nonchelent "Well I am sure she knows that"

If he said "Tell I her I love her" - Bad-River was already taking the mickey out of him and saying he obviously fancied this River that she'd never heard of - she'd say that. Or something really disconnected and odd - like "Wash behind your ears".
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He whispered...'I've just come...' :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assumed it because why else would she go from Melody Pond to River Song, unless the language of the people she was brought up with dictated it.
    Her changing from Melody to River because that's what the Doctor calls her later in her life, even though she's never heard that name before is a bit weird to me.

The name comes from the embroidered thingy given to baby Melody in AGMGTW and has nothing to do with who raised her. The episode was pretty clear in establishing that at that point Melody has never heard the name before and it is revealed to her by accident.

When dying and trying to get to the box, and the Doctor's calls for River to help, Melody's intrigued about River because of the Doctor's devotion and need for her help.

The Doctor presumably whispers "Tell River I love her", and Melody's response "I'm sure she knows" is saying "how can she not know"; the episode really builds up Melody's expectations of this person River. When Amy reveals River's identity, Melody chooses to become River Song because (at least in part) the Doctor loves River Song and because everyone apart from the justice guys think River is all kinds of awesome with great hair.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was ....
    bad wolf
  • Options
    kw4121kw4121 Posts: 3,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think he said " Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast" :P
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the TessaSandersonelector identify her as Melody Pond?

If that's the case, history must have recorded that Melody Pond killed the Doctor and no-one but the Doctor and Co (and 10,000,000 viewers but we ain't dobbing her in) has heard of River Song - so taking the name could simply be a disguise, a way of avoiding being caught and tried.

Incidentally,we now know that she got the name from the Doctor, not from the prayer cloth. She'd never seem that cloth since she was a tiny baby - she was taken and Amy had the cloth.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the TessaSandersonelector identify her as Melody Pond?

If that's the case, history must have recorded that Melody Pond killed the Doctor and no-one but the Doctor and Co (and 10,000,000 viewers but we ain't dobbing her in) has heard of River Song - so taking the name could simply be a disguise, a way of avoiding being caught and tried.

Incidentally,we now know that she got the name from the Doctor, not from the prayer cloth. She'd never seem that cloth since she was a tiny baby - she was taken and Amy had the cloth.

Hi Minkster :)

That was what I said to my OH. The Doctor effectively created River Song.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    I think it is "This will get the forums talking" :D
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    "The Tardis is sexy"

"Gordon's Aliveeee!

"Khannnnnnnnnn!"

"I'm Sorry, I'm so sorry!"

"Donna Noble was a former companion of mine, here is why you should look shocked when you meet her..."

"River Song can use her remaining regeneration energies to cure me so if you could quickly ask Amy who River Song is, find her and get her to do that for me, that'd be grand, ta"

Take your pick....:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    I assumed that at the end of 'A good man goes to war' that expert linguist River song reads the Drs name on his cot and is able to tell him it in 'Silence of the library'.
  • Options
    AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was:

"How do I get out of this show now? This script's rubbish!"

One of the most ridiculous episodes ever! You can tell Moffat's past his prime here!
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the Doctor did whisper, tell River I love her , then it might be along the lines of "tell River I love her right up to the moon and back".:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 232
    Forum Member

"River Song can use her remaining regeneration energies to cure me so if you could quickly ask Amy who River Song is, find her and get her to do that for me, that'd be grand, ta"

does she actually have any regenerations left, didn't she use what she had left to save the doctor?, just a thought:eek:
  • Options
    Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kw4121 wrote: »
    i think he said " Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast" :P

LOL. HAHAHAHAHA :D
  • Options
    jonnyjackovjonnyjackov Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sammybear wrote: »
    does she actually have any regenerations left, didn't she use what she had left to save the doctor?, just a thought:eek:

This was before she used her regenerations to cure the doctor.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can smeone remind me -

in her first appearance (silence in the library?) she whispers something to the doc , did we ever learn what it was ? could it be the same line ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can smeone remind me -

in her first appearance (silence in the library?) she whispers something to the doc , did we ever learn what it was ? could it be the same line ?

It was his name I think.