Options

The Royle Family Christmas Special Thread

Comments

• Options
    Only_YouOnly_You Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it, the best comedy so far over this Christmas period IMO.
  • Options
    TheSlayer10TheSlayer10 Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigBmad wrote: »
    Well they are 12 years older remember, no ones going to be the exact same as they were over a decade ago

Thats not what I meant, they have all just become stupid, they used to feel like "real" characters in the first series but now Jim just SHOUTS all the time, Dave just gets thicker and thicker (he actually seemed just a little dim in 1998) and Denise has just become this unlikeable lazy wretch, at the start she at least seemed normal.

Also Joe now TALKS his lack of social skills used to be what made him FUNNY

Ab Fab suffered the same fate when it came back in 2001 after a 5 year gap
  • Options
    gaz141gaz141 Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I thought it was great, a real return to form, and when Saskia had that contraction at the end and the credits started to roll, I instantly thought "Oh no I don't want to wait a year for the next one", so maybe a Royle wedding special is in the offing late April
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M@nterik wrote: »
    Well that was rather good. Far better than the last couple of years.

Some wonderful one liners. My favourite was probably the one about Denise waiting for the DNA results on Jeremy Kyle.

Agree.

Our Antony has matured into a nice young man.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats not what I meant, they have all just become stupid, they used to feel like "real" characters in the first series but now Jim just SHOUTS all the time, Dave just gets thicker and thicker (he actually seemed just a little dim in 1998) and Denise has just become this unlikeable lazy wretch, at the start she at least seemed normal.

Also Joe now TALKS his lack of social skills used to be what made him FUNNY

Ab Fab suffered the same fate when it came back in 2001 after a 5 year gap

I sort of agree about Denise and Dave, the characters haven't been allowed to progress whereas Anthony is very successful although I did think he overindulge in the presents a little bit,
  • Options
    yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Infinitely better than the last two specials, really enjoyed it tonight. Reminded me of the old series, although it wasn't quite at that level.
  • Options
    lozzerbozzerlozzerbozzer Posts: 5,026
    Forum Member
    Not as good as the first 3 series but it was a lot, lot better that last years effort. The christmas tree really made me laugh and Cheryl and spamhead.
    Not sure why they killed Mary off though, i wasn't very happy with that. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yakutz wrote: »
    Infinitely better than the last two specials, really enjoyed it tonight. Reminded me of the old series, although it wasn't quite at that level.

Its never going to be
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    Excellent Christmas Day comedy. Lots of great gags and some very touching scenes, a great mix.

Hope there will be more specials to come.
  • Options
    WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best episode for years, laughed all the way through, perfect Christmas night viewing.....
  • Options
    goldenhatgoldenhat Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Brilliant hour...too many things to quote, but when Denise couldn't go to the Nativity play as she was waiting for Jeremy Kyle DNA results:D Will watch it again very soon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    After the last two "turkeys" they've struck gold again. I was expecting another cringeworthy Christmas special but was pleasantly surprised. Some very funny moments and it was great to see them all back in the house.:) Still miss Nana, Mary and Twiggy tho:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    I actually didn't mind 2008, though 2009 was a bit awful. But this year's special was by far the best of the trio, it felt like a lot more like the original 3 series. Shows that it works best when they keep it in the Royle house.
  • Options
    decemberboydecemberboy Posts: 3,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    The last ten minutes were very good especially when Joe took the Dyson although I would have thought it would have been easier for Barbara just to empty the Dyson into the urn.

Barbara had already tried the Dyson earlier in the episode so the ashes were mixed in with a lot of dust and dirt.
  • Options
    Dan06Dan06 Posts: 1,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps wasn't quite on par with the 3 series but way better than the last 2 Christmas specials.
  • Options
    Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant episode. They were back on form.
    Made me feel nostalgic for the old days.
    Please don't let that be their swan song.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    It's never going to be as good as the first few series but credit to them for the vast improvement on the last couple of specials. It was peppered with little golden moments tonight. I really enjoyed it for what it was. Easily the best episode they've done since Nana's last episode. Great comedy but also some lovely, heartwarming moments too - it's that aspect which I think they've lacked in recent years and finally regained tonight.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheryl's overactive thyroid cleaning out the biscuit tin! Some genuinely touching moments in tonight's ep, a prevalent sense of finality throughout, cna't help but feel Caroline Aherne has written this one to be the last.:(

craig cash wrote it as well :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laughs all the way through, just one nice new character, all the rest in great form - I thought it was brilliant.

I did not care too much for special two years ago and switched off the one last year, but I thought that tonight was one of the best episodes ever.
  • Options
    JJAMUFCJJAMUFC Posts: 1,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Royle Family, laughed all the way through tonight's and 100 times better than the last two specials worth of rubbish - a brilliant return to form, more please BBC!
  • Options
    ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was great. Lots of laugh out loud moments.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was OK, to say it was better than the last 2 is hardly praise in my opinion. I really love the original series and 'Queen of Sheba.' Highlights for me were:

- Cheryl, who is such a wonderfully drawn character.
    - Anthony's scene with Barbara, which was nicely done.
    - Saskia, who could have been a grotesque was a sweet, likeable character.

Yet there were negatives:

-Jim is now a grotesque: rude, obnoxious and generally foul. I know he was always grouchy and bad tempered, but his fuming over the ashes was OTT.
    - Joe is a character I never liked, and this special did little to endear him to me.
    - The whole fiasco over the toe was stupid.

I still think that this maintained the uneasy element that we now laugh at the Royles- they are set up as thieves and scroungers, as well as being far too stupid to be realistic. They were not like this originally. It is lazy writing that belongs to 80s sitcoms, not the gloriously realistic series it once was.

Overall, it was quite good for Christmas Day night. But I feel it's been done now, and should be left alone.

6/10.
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    although i agree this was better than the last two efforts. some very clever script writing and one liners.. now maybe with the original cast members no longer wanting to do any more episodes.
    like gran and Mary.. maybe time to call it a day...
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't agree with these people who say the characters of Dave, Denise and Jim have changed.

Dave has always been dim, Denise has always been lazy (with Anthony forced to be her unofficial gopher and then she moaned to Barbara if Anthony objected or answered her back) and Jim has always been a mass of unsupressed rage.

In the series Jim could be unbelievable rude and verbally vicious towards Norma, his mum-in-law, and there was one episode where he was in such a mood Barbara couldn't cope and stormed out of the house in a rage.

Once again, people are affected by selective-memory-syndrome.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    I can't agree with these people who say the characters of Dave, Denise and Jim have changed.

Dave has always been dim, Denise has always been lazy (with Anthony forced to be her unofficial gopher and then she moaned to Barbara if Anthony objected or answered her back) and Jim has always been a mass of unsupressed rage.

In the series Jim could be unbelievable rude and verbally vicious towards Norma, his mum-in-law, and there was one episode where he was in such a mood Barbara couldn't cope and stormed out of the house in a rage.

Once again, people are affected by selective-memory-syndrome.

Barbara and Anthony are the most grounded characters and it's funny that Anthony was the family member who was picked on by the rest but ended up the most successful. Jim can be funny but I think in the last few specials his rants have been downright nasty than funny.