Options

Why do the BBC feel they need to educate our kids?

2»

Comments

• Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    It's not as if this a new thing. When I was at primary school we watched Look and Read to help with literacy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Look_and_Read

Then there was an ITV programme called How We Used To Live

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_We_Used_To_Live

I used to watch both of them too :) "Ma-gic e, ma-gic e" :D
    And didnt the likes of You and Me teach about diversity?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    I haven't dictated anything. I'm questioning it which as a licence fee payer I feel I should have a right to do.
    It's fine to question, and others have explained that it is part of the BBC's Charter obligations.

To my mind you seem to be saying that the BBC programmes should not be setting out to educate because you don't agree with that approach - in my book that is tantamount to trying to dictate what other parents can do with their children.

Whereas I am coming down on the side of choice - you have the choice to allow your children to watch other channels, whilst other parents who don't share your view have the choice to allow their children to watch educational content.

Having said that, I see that you are not really saying that the BBC should reduce or even remove the amount of education programming on the childrens' channels.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    OP is quite right. Much better to have ignorant and uneducated kids.

Children come home from school after they've already had some education.
    When I was a kid and came home from school and something like Blue Peter was on, my instant thought was "Oh no, more school".
  • Options
    RobbomanRobboman Posts: 848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because parents can't be trusted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    What's wrong with the Lingo show? The four year old I look after loves it and knows all sorts of words in different languages now. It's totally harmless education- and what's wrong with learning whilst absorbing the 'fun' part!
    Kids enjoy learning at that age, and I think CBeebies are doing a fine job actually.
    Yes the programmes may drive US demented but I look after lots of age groups from 0-5 and they all take something from it as a channel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Point is it's not up to the BBC to make sure my child has an education. That should be the parent and teacher's responsibility. Although I see that some parents might see this as a lazy way to educate their kids. Sit them in front of Cbeebies all day.

I'm more than capable of ensuring my child has a well rounded, educated and fun upbringing and knowing what time to put him to bed without Auntie beeb having to teach me. You don't see other tv channels doing it.

I'm pretty sure that allowing my son to watch Nickleodeon isn't gonna make him turn out to be ignorant and uneducated.

Quite right. How DARE the BBC teach anyone anything! >:(:D
  • Options
    ennui 57ennui 57 Posts: 1,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Children come home from school after they've already had some education.
    When I was a kid and came home from school and something like Blue Peter was on, my instant thought was "Oh no, more school".

But I loved Blue Peter! (But I also loved school :kitty:)
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,994
    Forum Member
    They don't try and tell anybody what time to put their kids to bed. They provide an hour of (apparently) calming TV before bed so that if the kids are hyper because of what was on TV before, it just calms them down.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ennui 57 wrote: »
    But I loved Blue Peter! (But I also loved school :kitty:)

I admit that I did like it sometimes. It's just at times after a hard day at school it was the last thing you wanted to watch.
    I too really liked going to school.
    I think there's a place for educational programming, don't get me wrong, but as long as there's a good balance, and that nothing is seen as wrong if a children's TV show just seeks to entertain. And even then in a show purely designed to entertain, it can be educational in many ways, if not in the conventional sense.

I think educational TV for very young children is very good in general though. Because usually those types of show reflect the exploratory nature of the growing child anyway as they are seeking to learn about the world around them. It's what they do, they want to learn as it's the natural thing to do if they don't know anything.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not as if this a new thing. When I was at primary school we watched Look and Read to help with literacy

Indeedy and very popular they both were. We used to watch How We Used To Live actually at school as part of the curriculum.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having young grand children I've had the opportunity to watch children' TV and to be honest its better now than it was when my children were growing up twenty years ago and a dam sight better than the programming available to me as a child 50+ years ago...Watch with Mother et al.
  • Options
    meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Look and read was and still is my favourite ever kids show.