Options

DVD storage

2»

Comments

• Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Penrose wrote: »
    Of course I would. I have a lot of DVDs and I want shelving to display them all.

I'm looking for actual bookcase type shelves or stacked pullout style drawers or displays.

I know a guy who made some DVD drawers, IIRC he used full extension runners (expensive but give you full access to the back of the drawer), and made units that were slightly smaller than a single kitchen cupboard on wheels and held something like 240 DVD's each, with room for things like box sets/slightly larger than usual cases.
    IIRC he said it worked out about £40 or £50 per unit, but he had access to all the tools to make them (I think he said he could have saved a tenner+ and a lot of hassle with sourcing materials by using white contiboard rather than coloured)..

Most people I know who want to store their DVD's in a way that allows for both capacity and relative ease of use cheaply tend to go with Billy bookcases from Ikea.

I've been tempted to try and get some big bookcases/wardrobe shells from somewhere like Ikea and use them to hold drawers for my DVD/blu-ray collection (currently approaching 1800 titles.
  • Options
    alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    At 2 gb the quality is fine so that's 500ish for a 1tb drive or 1000 on a 2tb.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're worried about quality just rip as an ISO and job done ok its probably 4 or 9GB used per disk but its as good as it would be playing the actual disk
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mentioned Ikea, not PC World. Surely that was a clue?

Something from the Billy range then would probably be suitable if you want to display them.

Personally I can't wait til ours are in the loft - the hard drive is much easier to dust!
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At 2 gb the quality is fine so that's 500ish for a 1tb drive or 1000 on a 2tb.

hardly.

i don't want compression if I own the DVD. And you can tell.
    at 50% theres loads of artifacts.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Discgear products allow you to store a lot of DVDs, CDs or blu-rays in very little space.
  • Options
    zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got lots of DVD's and CD's and in the end I went for 6 of this 190cm type of shelving
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60103750/

The bracket hides behind the shelving so you don't get anything noticeable at the sides.
  • Options
    PenrosePenrose Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    The Discgear products allow you to store a lot of DVDs, CDs or blu-rays in very little space.

Not what I'm looking for thanks.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JethroUK wrote: »
    and weight for weight, DVDs will weigh less than harddrive carrying same info

so you are saying 200 DVD weight less then a hard drive ?
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hardly.

i don't want compression if I own the DVD. And you can tell.
    at 50% theres loads of artifacts.

you must be using some pretty rubbish re-coding software. at 4.5GB, I have not noticed any issues and that is watching on a 50" screen from just a few feet away.
  • Options
    jonnyinscotlandjonnyinscotland Posts: 999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    look 1Tb HDD will hold about 100 disks, will it not.

I think I must have at least 1000 DVD's, not to mention about 100 blurays by now, and any number of CDs

so that's going to cost me at least £1000 for the DVDs alone.

I doubt very much if the "ripped" disk will allow me to watch all the special features, subtitles, commentaries etc, either.

and it will take me forever to rip them all.

I'll keep the plastic, ta very much.

It depends on disk size but I would say a 1TB drive would hold about 200 disks. On this basis you would need 5TB of space. I'm not sure where your £1000 figure is coming from; 3TB drives can be got for £90 these days.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    If you run your NAS in a RAID mode you can provide for the failure of one or two drives without having to start again.

Not if the enclosure goes - RAID schemes are often not transportable between different controllers.

As somebody else said, grand ripping projects are for kids with too much time on their hands. Why on Earth would one need an entire DVD library online at all times? How often do you watch each of these films?

You can build your own shelving to hold DVDs if commercial stuff doesn't suit (or is too expensive), or there are CD/DVD wallets holding hundreds of disks, and put the boxes in the loft. I built 75m of DVD/VHS shelving myself from Contiboard for under £100 (price at about 15 years back).
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sambda wrote: »
    Not if the enclosure goes - RAID schemes are often not transportable between different controllers..
    I said you can survive the failure of one or more drives, depending on the RAID mode being operated, which is quite correct so Im not sure your point in picking me up on that? If the actual NAS unit fails, clearly you would need to have that repaired or replaced with similar. So what?

And as for your other comments, well fine, each to their own. Aside from the space saving issue, it is quite nice having an entire collection online. Not just films, but TV box sets and series recorded from TV are very nice to have online in any room of the house. The physical DVD is going the way of CDs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found what I wanted at Ikea and am pleased with the result, lots of putting together but worth it in the end :)

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a586/penroserd/benno_zps289b5a57.jpg

(excuse the dodgy stitched photo, I'm sure you get the idea!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phew! Lots of discs there Penrose...
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found what I wanted at Ikea and am pleased with the result, lots of putting together but worth it in the end :)

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a586/penroserd/benno_zps289b5a57.jpg

(excuse the dodgy stitched photo, I'm sure you get the idea!)

Wow, that's pretty impressive - good job.

I sure hope that technological advancements don't make it entirely redundant within 10 years ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They probably will, I have a handful of Blu-Ray's and they are smaller still so I could fit more in.

The handy thing is, they are Benno CD Tower's with 11 shelves, although you can use them for DVD's and have eight shelves instead. The ones closest to the camera are for CD's and I'll buy another four towers to bring it closer to the door and fill them with CD's.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the easiest (and cheapest) way to store them is just to leave them in their original packaging and stack them against the wall, so you can you see the side of the case/box with the title on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even with the quantity that I have? Those towers were £18 each.