Options

Batman Begins - why so underappreciated?

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's fanboys like you who annoy me. There's so much more to The Dark Knight than Ledger's performance. I love both Begins and TDK because they're not just superhero/comic book films, they're more than that.

Oh and Tim Burton's films I thought were pretty good, I liked the gothic feel to them. They were my my favourite superhero films during my childhood. I do now prefer Nolan's more grounded approach though.

Totally agree with everything here (up to the childhood bit) The Dark Knight is a full on adult thriller IMO and one of my favourite films of all time, yet I prefer Begins.

And I don't see how anyone could see Burton's as being more of a "batman" world than Nolan's.
  • Options
    Mad Dog123Mad Dog123 Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Of Nolan's Batman, I'd go for BB too. Even though I don't much care of it, I can at least remember a few things about it. Which is more than can be said about TDK. Ledger's performance aside, I can barely recall a thing about it. Never seen a more unmemorable blockbuster*

Much prefer Burton's Gothic Batman. More overly stylised, but at least he brings us a world in which you could believe Batman would exist in. A hurdle the Nolan films never quite surmount.

*oh, hang on. Some ferries are going to blow up, but then don't. That's TDK, isn't it?

TDK is awesome but mainly because of Heath Ledger, he was truly outstanding. The action set pieces were also nice to look at. But it's Heath Ledger as The Joker who stood out for me. Much better than boring Begins.
  • Options
    GiarcYekrubGiarcYekrub Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me some wierd design decisions like the Bat Tank kinda spoiled it for me also, he spent far too long with the monks, and to choose the Scarecrow as the main villian well not exactly one of the A list, At least 2 face and the Joker are.

Personally I also missed the Gothic feel of Batman and Batman Returns
  • Options
    Mad Dog123Mad Dog123 Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    For me some wierd design decisions like the Bat Tank kinda spoiled it for me also, he spent far too long with the monks, and to choose the Scarecrow as the main villian well not exactly one of the A list, At least 2 face and the Joker are.

Personally I also missed the Gothic feel of Batman and Batman Returns

Tim Burton's movies were rather lame and cheesy IMO. People claim they were 'dark' when they were just as childish as Joel Schumacher's movies. Although Burton's movies aren't as lame as batman begins which was a borefest :yawn:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the Batman Begins but I think The Joker overshadowed it completely. I say that because let's face it, if Ledger hadn't brought the Joker to life the way he did in the dark knight then no-one would've thought much of that movie.

I'm just shocked the OP mentioned the movies he did. Xmen 2 was the best of teh Xmen movies to date but I prefered bot Ironman movies and the 2nd Fantastic Four movie tbh.
    I have to say that for me personally, the greatest comic book movie has to be Watchmen, closely followed by Kick Ass, which imho is better than it's comic counterpart in a lot of ways.
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,929
    Forum Member
    I say that because let's face it, if Ledger hadn't brought the Joker to life the way he did in the dark knight then no-one would've thought much of that movie.
    I think this is one of the reasons why Batman Begins is superior in my eyes. It didn't need one actor to give a standout performance to save it from being a stinker, like TDK did.

It stands on its own merits as a coherent Batman film that simply works, with all the parts mixing together to weave a wonderful tale.

I'm convinced TDK needed a major re-write/re-structuring, the final third just felt like a botch job. It's a shame, because Ledger's performance deserved to be part of a great film - but sadly it wasn't.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Batman Begins was pretty low-key on release. It was a conscious decision to make a 'serious' Batman film and step away from the Joel Schumacher bright colours and craziness. It did decent business but nothing spectacular.

With TDK they decided to go full on viral marketing, and that was long before Ledger's untimely death which launched interest in the film into the stratosphere. It became the in thing to see TDK, that's why everyone knows it and BB is underrated. And YES BB is the better film of the two, though Ledger gives the best performance of anyone over the two.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BB slightly better i think,but joker is amazing in TDK,both class films
  • Options
    thedarklordthedarklord Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the whole of The Dark Knight and didn't jump on the Heath Ledger bandwagon like most people did. Yes Ledger was fantastic but like I've said before the whole bandwagon thing completely overshadowed what was a fantastically written, acted and directed film. My favourite parts of the film weren't even The Joker parts but the great script that the Nolan brothers came up with. Gary Oldman was just as fantastic as Ledger as was Aaron Eckhart, Bale and Morgan Freeman. The set pieces were fantastic yet no one talks about them :(

It's a shame that this film isn't judged on its own but rather on a single person who wasn't necessarily the main character.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i dunno,it was a truly great performance from ledger though, he reinvented the joker and imo made him better than the jack nicholson version

this new joker is my hero,if i was a darker personality id be just like him lol

i remember watching the film in the cinema and it was only in this prison scene that i remembered heath ledger was dead, the joker character made me forget about the actor which is a testament to heaths skills.