whats been your crappiest gift so far?

Comments

• Options
    Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    At least be grateful for a present even if it's crappy

I got no presents at all :(

I thik everyone should re-wrap their unwanted pressies and send them to Ovalteenie :D
  • Options
    scousesirenscousesiren Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    I thought I was getting a lovely bottle of bubbly as my Aunt presented me with my wine bottle gift bag. Inside the bag was an ice-scraper and a bottle of de-icer. (they were on offer in Wilkinson's) !!! She had no clue what to buy me so had asked my mum what I would like. I forgave her when she also bought me a bong so that I can smoke flavoured tobacco!!
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine got given a 4-way extension socket/QUOTE]

:o I got one of those from my aunt :D But mine are old and an accident waiting to happen.

I don't mind presents like that as it's something I forget to buy :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Menk wrote: »
    50 shades of grey - the trilogy.

:cry:

I got up to the 8 chapter before I gave it back to the library .. pile of crap imo

50 Sheds of Grey is so much better :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    50 Shades of Grey - initially unintentionally hilarious but then just boring....even the sex bits and the dialogue that sounds as though its been written by a teenager. Not sure how anyone can find it a turn on.

My worst presents - a foot long plastic dolphin bought for me by a guy on our first date - supposed to be cute but actually has the creepiest most sinister smile. Currently lives on top of my parents display cabinet. And speaking of parents - a tub of anti ageing cream I got for Christmas a couple of years ago. Thanks Dad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The scream wrote: »
    I once got a hairbrush set of a relative, this set included curlers and such like. I had a mohican at the time. Same relations bought me a care bear bag when I was about 15 and got my younger cousin negligee!!!?

Maybe they put the wrong tags on each present? Does sound rather odd!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got to say, it really irks me if people send me a list of gifts that they want, or a link to an item and say 'please get this for me'.
    Next year we aren't doing gifts for adults as its quite frankly ridiculous. Father Christmas will come for our son, and we will as a family get a gift for all of us that all of us can benefit from.
    Christmas lists are for Father Christmas from children. Not grown adults.
    If I'm made to purchase any items, where the recipient will know what it is, I shall not bother wrapping it.
    It's plain rude if you ask me, saying buy this for me, dictating how much somebody should spend on you

Bl*ody lists! Grr! .

Edited to add, I'm very happy with all gifts that I received this year, in fact, its best year ever for gifts I've received! I did receive a fancy toiletry set from my mother (I'm allergic to a lot of creams/shower gels and soaps) but that'll come in handy for the guest bathroom so am quite pleased with it :)
  • Options
    PinkvelvetPinkvelvet Posts: 10,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    I don't mind what presents I get. In fact, I quite like the "crappy" presents.

I've received some truly bizarre presents over the years and they have always given me a good chuckle, which is a gift in itself.

For some reason I have never been able to fathom, my mum once bought me a tin of chopped tomatoes amongst other things. :confused:

This is still making me laugh a couple of days after I first read it.

:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    goonst wrote: »

:eek: I will never about my gifts again :o:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    My gifts were lovely this year but my auntie's mother in-law bought her a size 26 dressing gown.... she's a size 14 :S
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »
    A sponge.

Cream or Jam :D

Years ago my In laws brought me a suitcase :mad: When I divorced their son I divorced them as well :D
  • Options
    EastEnders-1105EastEnders-1105 Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All my presents where good this year but i havent opened my Auntie and Uncles presents (havent come yet) and they are usally crap.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got to say, it really irks me if people send me a list of gifts that they want, or a link to an item and say 'please get this for me'.
    Next year we aren't doing gifts for adults as its quite frankly ridiculous. Father Christmas will come for our son, and we will as a family get a gift for all of us that all of us can benefit from.
    If I'm made to purchase any items, where the recipient will know what it is, I shall not bother wrapping it.
    It's plain rude if you ask me, saying buy this for me, dictating how much somebody should spend on you

I can see that some people would see an unsolicited list as forward, but surely there is nothing wrong with it when someone has asked you what you would like?

For those people who think "surprises" are important, then a short list to choose from will preserve some element of surprise. Don't know where you get the idea that this entails "dictating how much somebody should spend on you" - I've received presents that 2 or 3 friends or rellies have shared the cost of, other times the same people have bought smaller individual presents.

As for wrapping, personally I couldn't give a toss if a gift is wrapped or not, but some people enjoy wrapping things up elaborately so let them have fun doing it.
  • Options
    dorahalldorahall Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My gifts were lovely this year but my auntie's mother in-law bought her a size 26 dressing gown.... she's a size 14 :S
    See, I'd like that present, a massive over-sized dressing gown, to wrap round twice, it would be lovely and warm:)

My pressies were all fab, but I did get my sister Peter Andre's autobiography. (It was in the 5p bin in the charity shop :o).
  • Options
    tamara1969tamara1969 Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    My crappiest present was given to me in a wonderfully decorated box, opened carefully as felt quite heavy, only to find it was a replacement oven dish for one of mine that the gift giver had broken?!? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    tony13579tony13579 Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A book of cats in art :(
    dreary paintings with stiff cats in the pictures.
    I dont even own a cat. I hate dreary art.
    I am dyslexic and I dont realy read books....

I cannot understand what they were thinking

now a box of pyrotechnics :) ....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see that some people would see an unsolicited list as forward, but surely there is nothing wrong with it when someone has asked you what you would like?

For those people who think "surprises" are important, then a short list to choose from will preserve some element of surprise. Don't know where you get the idea that this entails "dictating how much somebody should spend on you" - I've received presents that 2 or 3 friends or rellies have shared the cost of, other times the same people have bought smaller individual presents.

As for wrapping, personally I couldn't give a toss if a gift is wrapped or not, but some people enjoy wrapping things up elaborately so let them have fun doing it.

I've been told to buy a particular item, and they didnt want anything else. I didn't ask /hadnt asked what the person wanted. I find it terribly rude. If I had asked then fair enough, but I never have.
    I enjoy wrapping gifts beautifully, and spent a fair bit on paper/bows/ribbons/boxes, but what is the point if they are under no illusion as to what is beneath it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been told to buy a particular item, and they didnt want anything else. I didn't ask /hadnt asked what the person wanted. I find it terribly rude. If I had asked then fair enough, but I never have.
    I enjoy wrapping gifts beautifully, and spent a fair bit on paper/bows/ribbons/boxes, but what is the point if they are under no illusion as to what is beneath it?

Perhaps you've got a history of buying things that s/he didn't like or couldn't use. :) (I remember my mum saying something similar once "that's all I want, don't bother wasting your money on anything else".) Personally I think it's only sensible to ask people if there's anything they'd like, unless you've picked up a hint beforehand.
  • Options
    vintage_girlvintage_girl Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bl*ody lists! Grr! .

Edited to add, I'm very happy with all gifts that I received this year, in fact, its best year ever for gifts I've received! I did receive a fancy toiletry set from my mother (I'm allergic to a lot of creams/shower gels and soaps) but that'll come in handy for the guest bathroom so am quite pleased with it :)

I agree...I've never had anyone give me a list or a link, if they did I'd probably ignore it, as I think it's really cheeky and not at all in the spirit of Christmas. The presents are supposed to be a surprise, something that loved ones have bought out of goodwill, not because someone's told them to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree...I've never had anyone give me a list or a link, if they did I'd probably ignore it, as I think it's really cheeky and not at all in the spirit of Christmas. The presents are supposed to be a surprise, something that loved ones have bought out of goodwill, not because someone's told them to.

Sez who?

If that works in your circle, fine, but other people's customs may differ. I know which system is more likely to result in crap presents. :rolleyes: or as i'm sure you'd see it, unappreciated presents :D
  • Options
    vintage_girlvintage_girl Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Usually people just ask out of politeness, unless it's your parents or partner. Then you can suggest something, or drop hints or whatever. But if it's a more distant relative or a friend, I think it's rude to tell them what you want, or even worse make a list. You never know what their financial situation might be at the time- they may have been planning to shop within a certain budget. If someone then suggests something costing more than what they were planning to spend, it puts pressure on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    tony13579 wrote: »
    A book of cats in art :(
    dreary paintings with stiff cats in the pictures.
    I dont even own a cat. I hate dreary art.
    I am dyslexic and I dont realy read books....

I cannot understand what they were thinking

now a box of pyrotechnics :) ....

Cats in art :confused: sounds a bit scary!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member
    I really can't believe people complain about gifts. Shocking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Usually people just ask out of politeness, unless it's your parents or partner. Then you can suggest something, or drop hints or whatever. But if it's a more distant relative or a friend, I think it's rude to tell them what you want, or even worse make a list. You never know what their financial situation might be at the time- they may have been planning to shop within a certain budget. If someone then suggests something costing more than what they were planning to spend, it puts pressure on.

Well, then that's another argument in favour of a list. It can include some very modestly-priced items. I'm not talking about hugely expensive gifts here. My idea of an expensive gift would be about £35, and I wouldn't expect that from one person, it would be something my friends might club together to get for me.
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really get crap presents. Well, I probably do in some people's books, but I tend to like crap. Like, I got a set of velcro hair rollers this year which I LOVE.

I'm super easily pleased.