Options

Athletics 2014

Comments

• Options
    JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Afraid your right :( still meucci is fab.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meucci is so sexy. Maybe that Russian guy can medal? Bronze of course
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, we Saw that coming :(
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    On a side note, I've been watching athletics since Ovett got our only gold in the 78 Euros and I can't remember enjoying a Euro champs like this one. I think Jo Pavey had a lot to do with that. However, I have a question. I've seen a lot of people post during these champs that they don't really follow athletics but have got on board this week. My question is, didn't you get the bug during the Olympics? What have these champs got that London 2012 didn't have...?

I'm someone who has posted that I don't really follow athletics these days.......

just to elaborate.....

I did follow it from the 60s up until maybe 10-15 years ago,,,,,,,,,,but a combination od factors made me stop watching

Firstly Britain went into a slump in the 90s in Athletics and it didn't seem worthwhile supporting the team.......they just seemed like a bunch of losers

Secondly I got cable TV and suddenly had a huge choice of sports to watch.........combined with starting to work from home meant I shifted to focus on:cry: things that were on during the day like cycling and cricket and gradually lost interest in athletics

Plus I never liked the WWF Wrestling style athletics circus that got big from the 90s onwards.......the big money meetings, the hyped up rivalries, pacemakers, staged events. I still don't imagine I will ever watch those.

So athletics gradually slipped down my ladder of sporting interests until I was only watching the Olympics (I didn't even watch any of the Commonwealth Games for a decade until this year. I haven't watched the last 3 or 4 world championships either)

Why am I watching this ?

Because I was surprised to see how good the British athletes were at the Commonwealth games and want to start supporting them again........:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rus may Even Take silver?
  • Options
    Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think there is anything wrong with Brendan pointing out athletes previous nationalities (not ethnicity as some have claimed) who have only decided to run for countries based in financial reasons and have no connection to that country or where not brought up there.

Ultimately the rules govern what is permissible.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Cram said that the team event medals DO count towards the overall count. Certainly the medals the Italian ladies got yesterday were the same as the other medals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Cram said that the team event medals DO count towards the overall count. Certainly the medals the Italian ladies got yesterday were the same as the other medals.

Maybe he is wrong. Its not on the official sita AFAIK
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meucci wins, Poland silver, hopefully Russia bronze...
  • Options
    CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    Huge crowds.

People will turn out to watch, if it's free.:-)
  • Options
    Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For what it's worth, the winning time was almost identical to that of the Commonwealth Games marathon (just 7 seconds quicker).

Meucci now has the full set. 10km bronze in 2010, 10km silver in 2012, and now marathon gold. :)
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CarlLewis wrote: »
    Huge crowds.

People will turn out to watch, if it's free.:-)

And it is in their home town/city so they don't have to pay high hotel bills.
  • Options
    ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't remember who was on the British team but did they get beaten by the Swiss women at the Lausanne diamond league this year? Or am I making this up? The Swiss women's Q time for the final is worth consideration.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ali1234 wrote: »
    I can't remember who was on the British team but did they get beaten by the Swiss women at the Lausanne diamond league this year? Or am I making this up? The Swiss women's Q time for the final is worth consideration.

I'm guessing the Swiss fancy their chances of a medal in the Women's 4x100 given the organisers have taken the unusual step of making that the last event on the Championships rather than the Men's race.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GB 4x100m squads have been decided.
    Gemili replaces Talbot on anchor, Jodie Williams replaces Onuora on third leg.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And now the GB 4x400m.
    As expected, Conrad Williams opens, Hudson-Smith joins in and Rooney anchors. (Best chance of gold today.)
    As for the women...best they can hope for is a bronze, and that won't be easy. Child will lead, but no place for either Ohuruogu.
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    I'm guessing the Swiss fancy their chances of a medal in the Women's 4x100 given the organisers have taken the unusual step of making that the last event on the Championships rather than the Men's race.

Grrrr....champs should always end with 4x4s IMO. Bolt started this trend and now the EAA is following suit. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »

Would be Nice to See a swiss medal!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So excited about 1500. I so hope MMB can win this...
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Grrrr....champs should always end with 4x4s IMO. Bolt started this trend and now the EAA is following suit. :(

4x100 are bad races to finish with because everyone has to hang around for an extra hour while they decide who's been disqualified and hear all the appeals.......
  • Options
    Lunatic DreyfusLunatic Dreyfus Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    4x100 are bad races to finish with because everyone has to hang around for an extra hour while they decide who's been disqualified and hear all the appeals.......

The Swiss organisers are hoping their girls do rather well.

But yeah, the 4x400 should be the finale.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 48,008
    Forum Member
    DQs all round there I think!!
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Mayhem in the 1500 :o
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He just can't help being a jerk can he?
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice bronze for O'Hare.

Huge boos for the winner, does seem like an epic arsehole.