Options

Gareth Bale is the best British footballer since George Best

Comments

• Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Freeman000 wrote: »
    Gerrard? You've got to be having a laugh. He's a no mark and a big fish in a small pond. He hasn't even won a league title.

He's won the Champions League. Bale hasn't. He's won a UEFA cup. Bale hasn't (though it's a possibility this season).

Also Gerrard would have been 21 at the end of Liverpool's treble winning season, which included said UEFA cup, so if you don't want to count the Champions League, he's won a treble when he was 21 while Bale never did.

What about Wayne Rooney? He won the Champions League with Man United in 2008. He would've been 22 then. His first Premier League title with United came in the 06/07 season when he would have been 21.

Also what makes Steven Gerrard a "big fish in a big pond" but not Bale? Is he not a "big fish in a small pond"? Was Gerrard in a small pond in the 2008/09 squad that included Reina, Hyypiä, Arbeloa, Mascherano, Alonso and Torres?

What makes you consider Bale as the best British footballer if you're so dismissive of Gerrard and what he has accomplished in such a small pond?
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    TheMunch wrote: »
    He's won the Champions League. Bale hasn't. He's won a UEFA cup. Bale hasn't (though it's a possibility this season).

Also Gerrard would have been 21 at the end of Liverpool's treble winning season, which included said UEFA cup, so if you don't want to count the Champions League, he's won a treble when he was 21 while Bale never did.

What about Wayne Rooney? He won the Champions League with Man United in 2008. He would've been 22 then. His first Premier League title with United came in the 06/07 season when he would have been 21.

Also what makes Steven Gerrard a "big fish in a big pond" but not Bale? Is he not a "big fish in a small pond"? Was Gerrard in a small pond in the 2008/09 squad that included Reina, Hyypiä, Arbeloa, Mascherano, Alonso and Torres?

What makes you consider Bale as the best British footballer if you're so dismissive of Gerrard and what he has accomplished in such a small pond?

A WUM, or a satirist, nothing more.

No one in their right mind compares Bale and Gerrard, certainly not at this point in Bale's career
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is very good, but looks like someone who practices their craft relentlessly.
    In terms of steaming up a pitch and belting a goal in he is one of the best.
    Haven't seen him do many pin point passes or tricks.

I would say 3 stood out since Best.

Glenn Hoddle, who wasn't used properly in the England team.
    Paul Gascoigne, who ruined his career and wasn't quite up there.
    Matt Le Tissier, who played for an unfashionable club and didn't or was allowed to make his mark internationally.
  • Options
    satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    As I watched Messi the other night I thought, he's nearly as good as Gareth Bale! ;)

He's been excellent this season, but it's a bit soon to say best of British since George B!!!
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    He is very good, but looks like someone who practices their craft relentlessly.
    In terms of steaming up a pitch and belting a goal in he is one of the best.
    Haven't seen him do many pin point passes or tricks.

I would say 3 stood out since Best.

Glenn Hoddle, who wasn't used properly in the England team.
    Paul Gascoigne, who ruined his career and wasn't quite up there.
    Matt Le Tissier, who played for an unfashionable club and didn't or was allowed to make his mark internationally.

Really? His passing and crossing is more than decent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O'Neill wrote: »
    Really?

I think Bale is a creative midfield wannabee who is one of the best at going the full length of a pitch and belting a goal in.

Started as a left back who became a prolific goal scorer by moving up the pitch.

He is one of my favourite players at the moment, his passing etc is very good.
    He's more a Lothar Matthaus in his prime than a silky skill merchant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. In my view, post Best's era it's

1. Bale
    2. Scholes
    3. Gascoigne
    4. Giggs
    5. Hughes
    6. Rooney
    7. Shearer
    8. Law
    9. Adams
    10. Linekar

So no kenny dalglish no alan hanson rooney before shearer tony adams at 9 ashley cole left out who has been the best in the world for years playing his position bale plays 2 good seasons and he's the best since best ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I remember posts and threads suggesting Cristiano Ronaldo was nothing special, and only played well against poor opposition. Only when he joined Real Madrid and carried on proving what a player he is did they stop. Bale needs to join a club like Real Madrid, or Manchester United in my view.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I remember posts and threads suggesting Cristiano Ronaldo was nothing special, and only played well against poor opposition. Only when he joined Real Madrid and carried on proving what a player he is did they stop. Bale needs to join a club like Real Madrid, or Manchester United in my view.

Man Utd, this summer

Best thing for him
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

1. Bale
    2. Scholes
    3. Gascoigne
    4. Giggs
    5. Hughes
    6. Rooney
    7. Shearer
    8. Law
    9. Adams
    10. Linekar

You are Gareth Bale arnt you.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He should have gone to United a few years back tbh. Madrid's a potential graveyard even for some of the so called superstars.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Man Utd, this summer

Best thing for him

Not for the Glazers' pocket's it's not.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    [/B]

He should have gone to United a few years back tbh. Madrid's a potential graveyard even for some of the so called superstars.

Di Maria. Özil, Khedira etc.. as well as Ronaldo has done alright. Obviously I'd prefer he joins United though.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

1. Bale
    2. Scholes
    3. Gascoigne
    4. Giggs
    5. Hughes
    6. Rooney
    7. Shearer
    8. Law
    9. Adams
    10. Linekar

No John Barnes. No Peter Beardsley who was better than Gazza. No Dalglish. No Jinky Johnstone who some argue was just as good as George Best.
  • Options
    The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    No John Barnes. No Peter Beardsley who was better than Gazza. No Dalglish. No Jinky Johnstone who some argue was just as good as George Best.

Jinky was on the same level, in my book !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think after Wilkins was banned (I think he was sent off if my memory is correct.) the 86 England World cup team was full of good players.
    Beardsley and Hoddle were two that stood out.

I prefer it to the 90 team.
    Unpopular opinion maybe, but they were beaten by a handball and a goal that looked like Terry Butcher kicked from under Maradona's foot. Although the jinky run cannot be argued with.
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gareth Bale can be compared to George Best in the same way Rolf Harris can be compared to Michelangelo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bale and his cohorts are doing headless chicken impressions against Basel so far tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    Gareth Bale can be compared to George Best in the same way Rolf Harris can be compared to Michelangelo.

:D:D:D

Absolutely!!
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but Giggs is light years ahead of Bale, 13 League titles says it all.
  • Options
    Phoenix04Phoenix04 Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »

Michelangelo played the didgeridoo? :eek:
  • Options
    TribecTribec Posts: 9,331
    Forum Member

1. Bale
    2. Scholes
    3. Gascoigne
    4. Giggs
    5. Hughes
    6. Rooney
    7. Shearer
    8. Law
    9. Adams
    10. Linekar

I'm not going to touch Bale, as obviously he's the focal point of the debate. He has the potential to be up there, but I'm not convinced he's got the distribution skill set to be right up with the very best.

So onto your list, I've highlighted those in bold whom I'd seriously quesiton on the list. As much a fan of Hughes as I was, he wasn't a consistent goal scorer, Shearer was the goal scorer, but though he tried to copy Hughes. I say copy as you watch a young Shearer play and watch Hughes of that time. However, for holding up the ball etc, Shearer wasn't anywhere near as good as Hughes, but neiher are in the top 10. Linekar, a great, great goal scorer, but he's the first to admit that that's all he was, I'm at pains to say this, but Rush had more about him that Linekar at the time.

As for Adam's another good player, but the best centre half since Best? In the top 10? No chance, Hansen was miles better than he was, as was Lawrenson for that matter. I'd go for Ratcliffe above him as well, though of course during this period Paul McGrath was probably the best born in that position in the UK.

I've underlined Law, as he'd finished well before Best did, but if you want to include players of that time how you can leave out Charlton then I don't know.

Rooney, should get into the top, but I dare say he won't be above 7 or 8. However for many the jury is still out on him, in part due to his displays for England.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tribec wrote: »
    but if you want to include players of that time how you can leave out Charlton then I don't know.

I think Bobby Charlton was one of the best players ever. Although the question is Bale the best UK player since Best.
    I remember Charlton playing at the same time as Best and for me he was better than Best. Due to his longevity.
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one mentioned Nigel Reo-Coker yet then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DavidT wrote: »
    No one mentioned Nigel Reo-Coker yet then?

No one needs to

Everyone knows he's the best.