Options

Doc Martin (Part 13 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    One wonders again about the relationship realities of S5--here are two people who are massively sexually attracted to each other. They are living together and have a baby. They sleep together and use the same bathroom and bedroom. Thus, they must see each other nekkid, showering, toweling off, brushing teeth, dressing, etc, on a day to day regular basis. And, yet, no sex between them!

Either they are both dead inside, which we know is not true, or they are in internal torture.

The more one thinks about it, the more implausible it seems. I'm glad to hear that will be righted in the next series.

Not only no sex between them but the series has been drained of all evidence of the "massive sexual attraction" that we are entitled, from previous series, to believe they have for each other.

I think we are meant to believe that they are telling themselves that they are cohabiting more or less as friends and are collaborating temporarily on the care of their baby, but where are even the covert longing looks?

It really doesn't bear too close scrutiny because I think the plot wheels get pretty squeaky at this point -- that is, it seems more and more like a plot device to keep things on a slow simmer so as to wring one more season out of it.

And sometimes, in my darker moments, I think the creative forces that be might have thought, "right, you wanted them to be together... well, be careful what you wish for."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched S5 finale on PBS. I had forgotten how 'emotional' Martin seemed thru the episode (now that I am looking for it I see it plain as day). This bodes well, I think, for Season 6, as he was not the 'grumpy bugger of all nastiness' that he tried so hard to portray to LG and the rest of the village.

"I had given up hope," LG told him. That is such a sad comment. But they kiss, he tells her what he is feeling, no bull crap there, and hand-in-hand they walk off. As my wife put it, "Yes, but I fear for their long term relationship."

That is what S6 must deal with. Both partners need to actively find the middle ground and beyond or all is lost. But let's not discount the Portwenn effect! :) Now about those blue pyjamas...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MmDerdekea writes, "Well, his hair has been discussed before. Someone said that surgeons in London usually wore their hair that short. And, frankly, he looks good with that haircut and I bet LG loves running her hand through the soft fuzziness of it. Or maybe that is my hand...."

You know, in the S2 finale where the Doc passes out after drinking, Louisa runs her hands through his hair, and the camera work and lighting made me think I knew how his salt and pepper crew cut actually felt. Again, with you on this one!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I think it might be fun to have a spot in the site to see the results of all the polls. Just an idea - maybe no one else is all that bothered?

I'm not sure that that's possible but I'll look into it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    madmother wrote: »

No, would you like an age range poll?

Yes please, it would be interesting to see which age groups the programme appeals to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    Well, we can only hope.:p I guess we'll know for sure in the first episode if there's any sign of those damn pajamas!:eek:

I'm not sure which comes first: the Doc loosening up so he can have sex with Louisa or him having sex with LG causes him to loosen up. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure which comes first: the Doc loosening up so he can have sex with Louisa or him having sex with LG causes him to loosen up. :rolleyes:

I'm still in a quandary over how they ended up in bed together at all!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Not only no sex between them but the series has been drained of all evidence of the "massive sexual attraction" that we are entitled, from previous series, to believe they have for each other.

I think we are meant to believe that they are telling themselves that they are cohabiting more or less as friends and are collaborating temporarily on the care of their baby, but where are even the covert longing looks?

It really doesn't bear too close scrutiny because I think the plot wheels get pretty squeaky at this point -- that is, it seems more and more like a plot device to keep things on a slow simmer so as to wring one more season out of it.

And sometimes, in my darker moments, I think the creative forces that be might have thought, "right, you wanted them to be together... well, be careful what you wish for."

NewPark
    This is so incredibly spot on what I was thinking it is scary!!

Totally agree I am very sad to say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gh21 wrote: »
    Thanks for the offer but there are none in particular, it's just that sometimes I don't get to see the final result of a poll before the next one goes up.

Incidentally, have you ever had one asking "What age group are you in?"?

a) young
    b) young at heart
    c) old enough to know better
    d) never too old to dream

maybe...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MmDerdekea writes, "Well, his hair has been discussed before. Someone said that surgeons in London usually wore their hair that short. And, frankly, he looks good with that haircut and I bet LG loves running her hand through the soft fuzziness of it. Or maybe that is my hand...."

You know, in the S2 finale where the Doc passes out after drinking, Louisa runs her hands through his hair, and the camera work and lighting made me think I knew how his salt and pepper crew cut actually felt. Again, with you on this one!

PB said MC chose to have his hair cut short cos he thought it suited the character. They started out with the suits but PB said MC found the suits allowed him to get "into" the character and it was MC who decided quite late that DM would only wear suits.

Thank god MC made this decision AFTER the Peter Cronk episode and AFTER the car cleaning episode. :)

And then they slipped up in the dream scene entirely with the tshirt and boxers in bed but I guess even the Portwenn effect couldn't account for DM wearing a suit to bed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still in a quandary over how they ended up in bed together at all!!

I know! Wasn't that the biggest shock of our lives, when we saw DM sitting on the edge of Louisa's bed, the morning after?! :eek:;):p
    I was watching Series 1, ep-4 the other day, where Louisa asks the Doc if he wants to go to the dance. Anyway, when he walks away, she's really checking him out! :cool::p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gh21 wrote: »
    Yes please, it would be interesting to see which age groups the programme appeals to.

Ok, I'll do it next week. :):)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    Just watched S5 finale on PBS. I had forgotten how 'emotional' Martin seemed thru the episode (now that I am looking for it I see it plain as day). This bodes well, I think, for Season 6, as he was not the 'grumpy bugger of all nastiness' that he tried so hard to portray to LG and the rest of the village.

"I had given up hope," LG told him. That is such a sad comment. But they kiss, he tells her what he is feeling, no bull crap there, and hand-in-hand they walk off. As my wife put it, "Yes, but I fear for their long term relationship."

That is what S6 must deal with. Both partners need to actively find the middle ground and beyond or all is lost. But let's not discount the Portwenn effect! :) Now about those blue pyjamas...

Now you've got me thinking I need to re-watch the S5 finale (again). I think you're right. We do see a rather emotional side of him well before we even get to the wowza final cliffside scenes. I remember DM getting a brief look on his face in the chemists' shop after coming down from upstairs where he's discovered Mrs. T is self-medicating. His face briefly shows despair, fear, worry, sadness, loss, and then, poof, he's in action mode again -- time to track down ST & JH (such great acting skills!).

And then, of course, there's that absolutely adorable moment when he scoots sideways into the school lunchroom with a look of fear on his face. He just knows LG is going to blow when he tells her what's happened.

Okay, yes, gotta watch it again & look for more of those moments.

And your wife is right to worry about their long-term relationship. What these two need is a realization that they're both "difficult" people & that their backgrounds have pretty much set them up for failure. They're so bad, bad, BAD at communicating & it will take a great deal of work for them to make a go of it. I think they're both willing, but I don't think they know how, either of them! I expect in S6 we'll see a lot more of that gravel road Roger Fenn mentioned in S3. Even though they may have reached a destination of sorts, now they have to learn how to maintain a relationship. I expect the series will begin on a high note, probably a wedding, then descend into a mess (will LG go walking off down that hill again?) because they just can't figure out how to do it, then, I hope & assume, they'll finally open up, talk about their problems, & begin to figure it out.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was watching Series 1, ep-4 the other day, where Louisa asks the Doc if he wants to go to the dance. Anyway, when he walks away, she's really checking him out! :cool::p

In Series 2, ep 1, after Mrs Steele walks into the sea they take her into the pub to warm up. Watch LG when DM leaves - MAJOR checking him out. :D
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yup, she did run her hand through his hair! That was a great moment. I bet she'd been thinking about doing that for a long time. :)

LG wanted to seduce DM for awhile, apparently, and right after his declaration of love she wanted to get the table out of their way. After their engagement, and after their initial sexcapade, at the optimal nutrition dinner, LG is thinking about spending the night and more sex, (while DM was thinking about the cheese and apple dessert.) :) Ergo, their first bedroom experience was evidently very successful if LG is wanting more. I like thinking about that! What torrent of bedroom passion adeptly runs through the repressed DM? If only the writers can realize that this is the sort of stuff fans like, not only the complications. We need TV balance--sex AND problems, and preferably in that order. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know! Wasn't that the biggest shock of our lives, when we saw DM sitting on the edge of Louisa's bed, the morning after?! :eek:;):p

Renee, yes! And it was a wonderful shock!

This got me to wondering about the reactions at this forum to that "morning after" scene. It wasn't easy to find. Looks like S3 is when this forum first got started and in the early posts the participants keep talking about other shows, like "House" and a UK version of "Dancing With the Stars", etc. Anyhoo, I finally found the bedroom episode and not much was said about it. Weird. One fellow, who apparently posted while watching the show, said, "Oh, dear. It's not very good so far. I think the show may have fallen into the 'Frasier' trap. Once Niles and Daphne got together, the heart of the show died as it lost its dynamic." He then went on to complain about the fact that DM still seemed to speak in a "stilted" way after he & LG spent the night together. Then a few other participants jumped in and agreed. One said, "I agree very much with this opinion. He woke up in her bed for God's sake.... why be still so stilted.... and I know I have been irked about this in the past, but WHERE has the postman been for the last three years !!!!! We see him as an ultra social chappie tonight eager to have a cup of tea and hob nob with anyone who willing to put the kettle on, HOW could he have been invisible up to this." And someone else described series 3 as dull and boring.

Other forum participants weren't so negative, but those posting positive comments mostly just said, "I thought tonight's episode was fab," and variations of that. Not much real discussion that I could find.

Plus it's a completely different set of participants! I don't see any of you current regular peeps there at all. How long have those of you in this group been participating in this forum? As a sort-of newbie, I find it fun to go back in time & read reactions to assorted episodes, but back in the first thread there just wasn't much. Did you all participate in a different forum at the time, or did most of you end up involved after the first 3 series? Just curious.

How anyone can think of S3 as dull is beyond me, and that particular episode is probably my all-time favorite. The morning after bedroom scene made me leap out of my chair and do a little dance the first time I saw it! And the optimum nutrition dinner & the ring in the potatoes & the kisses on LG's balcony & the horses & doves & breathe-right strips!!! Great stuff! :):):)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    I agree with this. I think she does change with the arrival of her mother, and I agree that the mother serves to remind her of how important it is to her that DM be able to provide consistent, reassuring love, and of course, he is unable to be explicit at all or even demonstrative.

also, I guess we know from MC's comments that they are not, and are not meant to be a "normal" couple, and I think it's possible that with her mother's arrival, Louisa sees Martin and their relationship from the perspective of her mother, to whom it all looks very odd, including and especially Martin.

Much better said than me! And I absolutely agree with the second statement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup, she did run her hand through his hair! That was a great moment. I bet she'd been thinking about doing that for a long time. :)

LG wanted to seduce DM for awhile, apparently, and right after his declaration of love she wanted to get the table out of their way. After their engagement, and after their initial sexcapade, at the optimal nutrition dinner, LG is thinking about spending the night and more sex, (while DM was thinking about the cheese and apple dessert.) :) Ergo, their first bedroom experience was evidently very successful if LG is wanting more. I like thinking about that! What torrent of bedroom passion adeptly runs through the repressed DM? If only the writers can realize that this is the sort of stuff fans like, not only the complications. We need TV balance--sex AND problems, and preferably in that order. :D

I'VE been thinking about that for a long time too!

About the balance you mentioned, you're so right. C'mon, if it really is the final series, why not give it to us? Give it to me, give it to me, okay, now I'm hearing & seeing LG's dream as it turned into the reality of DM wrestling his stethoscope from the dog.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Renee, yes! And it was a wonderful shock!

This got me to wondering about the reactions at this forum to that "morning after" scene. It wasn't easy to find. Looks like S3 is when this forum first got started and in the early posts the participants keep talking about other shows, like "House" and a UK version of "Dancing With the Stars", etc. Anyhoo, I finally found the bedroom episode and not much was said about it. Weird. One fellow, who apparently posted while watching the show, said, "Oh, dear. It's not very good so far. I think the show may have fallen into the 'Frasier' trap. Once Niles and Daphne got together, the heart of the show died as it lost its dynamic." He then went on to complain about the fact that DM still seemed to speak in a "stilted" way after he & LG spent the night together. Then a few other participants jumped in and agreed. One said, "I agree very much with this opinion. He woke up in her bed for God's sake.... why be still so stilted.... and I know I have been irked about this in the past, but WHERE has the postman been for the last three years !!!!! We see him as an ultra social chappie tonight eager to have a cup of tea and hob nob with anyone who willing to put the kettle on, HOW could he have been invisible up to this." And someone else described series 3 as dull and boring.

Other forum participants weren't so negative, but those posting positive comments mostly just said, "I thought tonight's episode was fab," and variations of that. Not much real discussion that I could find.

Plus it's a completely different set of participants! I don't see any of you current regular peeps there at all. How long have those of you in this group been participating in this forum? As a sort-of newbie, I find it fun to go back in time & read reactions to assorted episodes, but back in the first thread there just wasn't much. Did you all participate in a different forum at the time, or did most of you end up involved after the first 3 series? Just curious.

How anyone can think of S3 as dull is beyond me, and that particular episode is probably my all-time favorite. The morning after bedroom scene made me leap out of my chair and do a little dance the first time I saw it! And the optimum nutrition dinner & the ring in the potatoes & the kisses on LG's balcony & the horses & doves & breathe-right strips!!! Great stuff! :):):)

I came onto the forum just about as filming started for S5 (March 2011). And i did enjoy going back and reading all the previous parts. I think there are still a couple of people reguarly posting that were here from the beginning (hello, SR and Madmother) but it does seem that there has been a large turnover in the cast of characters regularly posting.

I was struck in going back by how vehemently people hated the ending of S3.

I think the general commentary was somewhat more light-hearted and much less analytical -- the trend in that direction may have driven off some participants and I think that's too bad because there's plenty here for everybody.

And yes, S3 remains my favorite -- just looking at the "best-bits" clips on YouTube makes me so nostalgic for the "old" DM -- so much less grim than the S5 version.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not only no sex between them ."

I'm a bit mystified folks, (not for the first time admittedly:D:D), but what's your proof for this statement?
    IMO it's one of those things that has taken a life of its own by repetition.
    Just because it wasn't put on screen for us doesn't mean that it didn't happen.;);)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I came onto the forum just about as filming started for S5 (March 2011). And i did enjoy going back and reading all the previous parts. I think there are still a couple of people reguarly posting that were here from the beginning (hello, SR and Madmother) but it does seem that there has been a large turnover in the cast of characters regularly posting.

I was struck in going back by how vehemently people hated the ending of S3.

I think the general commentary was somewhat more light-hearted and much less analytical -- the trend in that direction may have driven off some participants and I think that's too bad because there's plenty here for everybody.

And yes, S3 remains my favorite -- just looking at the "best-bits" clips on YouTube makes me so nostalgic for the "old" DM -- so much less grim than the S5 version.

That's what I want to do next, go back & read reactions to the S3 finale. Could be that the vehement hatred of the way that series ended is what really got things going at the forum. I bet the speculation about S4 is something well worth reading. But it could be also that the way S3 ended is what caused some of the original participants to finally give up & disappear. I'll see. I'm curious.

I agree with you about the S3 YouTube clips. I love watching them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simplyred wrote: »
    I'm a bit mystified folks, (not for the first time admittedly:D:D), but what's your proof for this statement?
    Just because it wasn't put on screen for us doesn't mean that it didn't happen.;);)

Good question, SR. I guess I'm basing my view on this on two things: if they were really physically intimate, I can't believe that there would be no sign of it in their life outside the bedroom -- some physical touching, an intimate glance, something. There just is nothing to indicate that. And if they were having good sex (which we must trust would be good!) I can't believe they would be quite so repressed and non-communicative in all other aspects of their lives together.

True, they do chat together sometimes as intimates, but just as easily interpreted as "old friends" as well as lovers.

Secondly, the interviews of both CC and MC indicate to me, at least, that they are "cohabiting" for the sake of the baby, and they haven't yet addressed the terms on which they are together, except as co-parents. They don't indicate any progress at all on the romance front.

Of course, those of us in the "no sex" camp could be wrong -- they could be going at it like rabbits, after all, we're explicitly told that it's 8 weeks after the birth when she goes back to her job. But by six weeks or so after the birth, things are pretty rocky between them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simplyred wrote: »

Good Golly, someone needed sex in Series 5! ;):p:p:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've wondered about the "optimal nutrition dinner" scene myself. Why did DM ask Louisa what her plans were for the rest of the evening? Hadn't they "been together" only once? Wouldn't you think he would have wanted to jump her bones as soon as dinner was over? Heck with the cheese & apple, you can have that later, in bed. Or, for breakfast. ;):p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've wondered about the "optimal nutrition dinner" scene myself. Why did DM ask Louisa what her plans were for the rest of the evening? Hadn't they "been together" only once? Wouldn't you think he would have wanted to jump her bones as soon as dinner was over? Heck with the cheese & apple, you can have that later, in bed. Or, for breakfast. ;):p

I think he asked her about her plans for the evening & then talked about cheese & apple because he just didn't know any other way to phrase it. "What are your plans for the rest of the evening?" = in Docspeak, "You are planning to spend the night, aren't you?" "There's cheese and apple for after." = in Docspeak, "Eat fast so we can run upstairs and have passionate rabbit sex."

Same kind of thing as "You look so busy", "I look forward to it", & "I've bought a fish."
This discussion has been closed.