Katy perry embarrassing performance

Comments

• Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    not keen on the song, but she is stunningly hot :D

Yes. As a singer, she is very attractive.
  • Options
    EvilLlamaThingyEvilLlamaThingy Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    Saw her in concert 3 years ago and she was great to be honest... Not saying she was great tonight (Actually missed the entire final) but anyhoo.

When I see her lives played back though I'll admit I don't think much of her, but she makes great songs, and they sound great on recording. Plus she comes across fairly funny/likable in interviews and whatnot. So yeah, for the "I don't get how she's popular" comments, there's your (Not exactly mind boggling) answer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is she more famous and successful than Nicole? (And a million others who can actually sing) :(

Because she has personality and a record label. Nicole doesn't have much of that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Because she has personality and a record label. Nicole doesn't have much of that.

I agree maybe about the record label but the Personality, I have to disagree.
    I know Nicole can be crazy and annoying sometimes but judging by what I've seen on X Factor, Nicole does have personality and shows that fun, bubbly side of her.
  • Options
    Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member

A personality? She hides it well.

Nah, seriously, I don't mind Katy Perry. She just makes "fun" records, she doesn't claim to be Maria Callas. :D

Lousy vocals though!
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    It was terrible.

We've seen better from her on the show before, so i'll put it down to her just having a bad night rather than being 'terrible live' as some here have put it!
  • Options
    marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasnt sure what was going on, it was really bad, maybe it was the dress of the gage thing that made her warble a bit.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's face it, if she turned up to auditions and sang like that, wearing that hideous outfit, she wouldn't last 30 seconds.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder if she was asked if "Roar" could be done by XFF, (or has she already done that on XF?) so she had to sing a ropey song.
    Mind you even Ga Ga was rubbish on XF.
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like the recorded version of the song but she's kind of ruined it now. I wonder whether she had any idea how bad that was? The judges (except Louis, who's tone deaf) must have been cringing.
  • Options
    BloodRayneBloodRayne Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Her outfit was horrible too.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a hilarious review on daily mail site today.:D
  • Options
    researchshirleyresearchshirley Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    I agree maybe about the record label but the Personality, I have to disagree.
    I know Nicole can be crazy and annoying sometimes but judging by what I've seen on X Factor, Nicole does have personality and shows that fun, bubbly side of her.

I really like Nicole and she does have a good personality. However, she has no star quality whatsoever, which is why her recording career stalled.
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Wonder if she was asked if "Roar" could be done by XFF, (or has she already done that on XF?) so she had to sing a ropey song.
    Mind you even Ga Ga was rubbish on XF.

No, she performed her new single - as she has done at multiple X Factor finales over Europe recently.
  • Options
    Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Let's face it, if she turned up to auditions and sang like that, wearing that hideous outfit, she wouldn't last 30 seconds.

They would have shown her in the bad auditions montages, heh.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like Nicole and she does have a good personality. However, she has no star quality whatsoever, which is why her recording career stalled.

Dropping the Pussycat Dolls didn't help. She misunderstood the nature of pop music. The Pussycat Dolls were the pop phenomenon not Nicole Scherzinger.

A lot of you are very confused by the fact that pop music is a cultural phenomenon not just a musical form.

Pop music has NEVER been just about singing. That is a misconception introduced by programmes like the X Factor and The Voice.

Some of the biggest names these days like Will.i.am, Example, Calvin Harris, Timbaland are DJ/Producers hardly even musicians let alone singers. You all need to get some perspective or go and listen to the charts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Dropping the Pussycat Dolls didn't help. She misunderstood the nature of pop music. The Pussycat Dolls were the pop phenomenon not Nicole Scherzinger.

A lot of you are very confused by the fact that pop music is a cultural phenomenon not just a musical form.

Pop music has NEVER been just about singing. That is a misconception introduced by programmes like the X Factor and The Voice.

Some of the biggest names these days like Will.i.am, Example, Calvin Harris, Timbaland are DJ/Producers hardly even musicians let alone singers. You all need to get some perspective or go and listen to the charts.

Everyone one of those big-name producers collaborate with SINGERS - it's not like they release instrumentals. Katy is a good pop star with broad appeal to all ages. I'm sure she's comfortable for life, but to amount to true success in the industry you need to tour. With her voice as poor as it is, I can't see her tours doing very well. There's a reason artists like Beyoncé and Lady Gaga's tour grosses are massive, while Katy and Rihanna just have their #1 singles - talent. :D

Even if tickets were ludicrously cheap, I wouldn't pay to see Katy perform. :kitty:
  • Options
    scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I normally stick up for katy cos I think a lot of the time people exaggerate how bad we singing is. She's normally not brilliant but at least competent.

That, however, was abysmal. Excruciating to watch. I've seen her sing it so much better though, she was just havin a particularly bad night sadly.
  • Options
    Amy76Amy76 Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Katy generally - she has the look, catchy songs and she sounds ok on her records. But she was really bad vocally last night. I was surprised at how poor she was.

I am actually annoyed with the guest acts this year - all have been horrendous live - a very disappointing showing when these acts are meant to be what the contestants are aspiring to be like.

That bloke from the Killers was dreadful, 1D - well they could never sing, and Gary Barlow should be ashamed of his vocals when he's sitting there in judgement of others. Miley Cyrus wasn't good, Lady Gaga's vocals were ok but her performance was ridiculous. People can say what they like about the blandness of Sam and Nicholas, but they could sing rings around this shower of supposed stars.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone one of those big-name producers collaborate with SINGERS - it's not like they release instrumentals. Katy is a good pop star with broad appeal to all ages. I'm sure she's comfortable for life, but to amount to true success in the industry you need to tour. With her voice as poor as it is, I can't see her tours doing very well. There's a reason artists like Beyoncé and Lady Gaga's tour grosses are massive, while Katy and Rihanna just have their #1 singles - talent. :D

Even if tickets were ludicrously cheap, I wouldn't pay to see Katy perform. :kitty:

The point remains the same.

The biggest female star in the world Madonna is no great shakes of a singer. Would you go and see her?
    Would you dismiss all she has done for women in pop music, all the songs she has created, all the images she has created? All the great shows she has put on because she isn't a great singer?

Get real.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scratchy23 wrote: »

That, however, was abysmal. Excruciating to watch. I've seen her sing it so much better though, she was just havin a particularly bad night sadly.

I don't know what she is thinking releasing 'Unconditionally' as a single. It's not a particularly good song (nor is most of her album though) and she simply doesn't have the vocal ability to pull it off live.

It was a similar story with Firework, she couldn't perform that live either, but it was a good catchy pop song and that always takes some of the attention away from the vocal performance. The 'Teenage Dream' album made her because it was full of such fun catchy pop songs and it had the whole image to go with it (the squirty cream bra etc.). She seems to be trying to take a more mature direction with her latest offering and it's looking like its going to fall flat because she just isn't good enough. Having listened to the 'Prism' album, it looks like Roar is going to be the stand out single and thats a very sad indictment.
  • Options
    UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Katy Perry but the performance was really disappointing. In fact, I haven't seen any of the X factor this year, I only tuned in tonight to see her and wish I hadn't bothered :blush:
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tim_A wrote: »
    I don't know what she is thinking releasing 'Unconditionally' as a single. It's not a particularly good song (nor is most of her album though)
    That is entirely a matter of opinion. For me, it is the best song she has ever released.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    That is entirely a matter of opinion. For me, it is the best song she has ever released.

Of course. I'm not arrogant enough to think everything I say is fact. We are all here to exchange opinions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    The point remains the same.

The biggest female star in the world Madonna is no great shakes of a singer. Would you go and see her?
    Would you dismiss all she has done for women in pop music, all the songs she has created, all the images she has created? All the great shows she has put on because she isn't a great singer?

Get real.

I expanded on your point, it was a bit wishy-washy.

Madonna is an amazing performer and has a lovely soulful tone to her voice, despite not having much range.

Katy has released songs that - even on record - you can hear her struggling to hit notes. Let alone the myriad of tuneless disasters on YouTube.