Options

Doc Martin (Part 16 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    whalewhale Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best part was that MC said there would be more future DM series.
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Well, I would hate to think NHS doctors cannot accurately differentially diagnose appendicitis from cholecystitis. That's a worse thought than misinterpreting MC called off the surgery!

Calling off an appendectomy when a patient has appendicitis is idiocy. Calling off removal of the gallbladder (and let's throw in the appendix while we're at it) due to gallstones causing a temporary cholecystitis is, on the other hand, reasonable.

At the onset, appendicitis presents with nonspecific epigastric pain just like any number of abdominal events.
    The pain then migrates to the right lower quadrant. The difference in this case would be if she was showing signs of peritonitis...a rock hard abdomen with guarding and rigidity. I venture to guess that she had diffuse abdominal pain without rigidity . If there is peritonitis it has to be operated. A CT scan of the belly would have shown everything so it makes me wonder where they were, if they didn't have a CT scan I don't know if I would have an operation there myself....and certainly not an "exploratory".

It's a shame that "nonsensical" has such a disdainful air. I'm sure he said it but I question the tone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Interesting that they know she comes from Texas.:)

Maybe she was wearing a cowboy hat and boots?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMfan wrote: »
    What is interesting about the article is that Martin Clunes still is not getting correct PR representation after the "Reader's Digest" matter. Not only does he go after the "House" TV show, he also stupidly states that the women in the Iranian version of Doc Martin won't be able to speak. Since he presumably is making money from the Iranian's use of the Doc Martin character, it would seem some PR person should have told him that about 75 percent of the physicians in Iran are women, and the Iranian Doc Martin is statistically more likely to be a woman than a man. His comments about America and now Iran are bordering on xenophobia. He really needs some PR help.

I find myself in this pickle at times. I tend to be sarcastic and have a dry sense of humor. I try to warn others that if it sounds bad that I am most likely kidding. It's a joke...a joke! Political correctness is so tiresome at times.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    I find myself in this pickle at times. I tend to be sarcastic and have a dry sense of humor. I try to warn others that if it sounds bad that I am most likely kidding. It's a joke...a joke! Political correctness is so tiresome at times.

Yes, Mofromco, but you are not a public figure (so far as I know) and your words are not likely to be quoted and widely circulated for possible misunderstanding.

We do want him to be open and authentic in interviews, but after so many experiences, I would think he knows what happens when he jokes around with journalists, who seem quite likely to take him literally, especially if it makes a good story.

I remember an interview in which he said that he no longer drinks hard cider b/c after some amount, he becomes quite opinionated, or words to that effect. I think he probably has a lot of opinions, some of which are poorly informed, just like the rest of us. Only we don't get tempted to air them in public -- except for this Forum, I guess.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC can brag all he wants about how they use real medical cases, however, I still remember being horrified at one mistake I feel they made on the show. When they first bring the baby home from hospital and Louisa doesn't have the crib set up yet. Supposedly she reads from a book that states it's safer for a baby to co-sleep with a parent. I don't know about Britian, but in America it is NOT recommended that a parent let a baby sleep with them in bed. The adult, once asleep, could inadvertently roll on top of the baby.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Yes, Mofromco, but you are not a public figure (so far as I know) and your words are not likely to be quoted and widely circulated for possible misunderstanding.

We do want him to be open and authentic in interviews, but after so many experiences, I would think he knows what happens when he jokes around with journalists, who seem quite likely to take him literally, especially if it makes a good story.

I remember an interview in which he said that he no longer drinks hard cider b/c after some amount, he becomes quite opinionated, or words to that effect. I think he probably has a lot of opinions, some of which are poorly informed, just like the rest of us. Only we don't get tempted to air them in public -- except for this Forum, I guess.

You are correct, my friends. Many journalists are not clever enough to discern joke from fact and the truth of the matter is, in print, the written word carries no nuance or expression.
    We only can read what the words SAY, not how the speaker said them.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    MC can brag all he wants about how they use real medical cases, however, I still remember being horrified at one mistake I feel they made on the show. When they first bring the baby home from hospital and Louisa doesn't have the crib set up yet. Supposedly she reads from a book that states it's safer for a baby to co-sleep with a parent. I don't know about Britian, but in America it is NOT recommended that a parent let a baby sleep with them in bed. The adult, once asleep, could inadvertently roll on top of the baby.

Aside from that, how about having LG want to carry the newborn home in the car and not use the baby seat Penhale so graciously brought, and DM thinking it's okay to not use the baby seat and even later, think it's okay to drive with the baby sleeping on his shoulder?? :eek: Yeah, MC, DM as a medical show is SO much better and accurate than US ones...(not!)

(And, that was written in a joking tone!) :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    >>He recently suggested the sixth series of Doc Martin would be the last. “Well, that’s the kind of thing that happens when they let me out on my own,” he deadpans. “But, no, we’re not talking about 'last series’ any more.<<

Oh so very true. And after he's let out on his own the damage control machine is set in motion! :rolleyes::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Interesting that they know she comes from Texas.:)

I'm pretty sure she would have introduced herself to MC. :):):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BodminDM wrote: »
    I just re-watched S2E8. I don't know if we ever mentioned it before on this forum, but I noticed one little thing.
    When Julie is lying on the bed, confronted by Mark about her multiple personalities, she declared she wanted to find the "real me". Mark responds with "Whoever that may be" (or something to that effect).
    Later in that episode we have Louisa making Martin drunk to see a glimpse of the "real you".

Did we ever had any talk about the "real someone" in any episode?
    Is it significant that we do have it twice in this one?

I just about every episode what the secondary characters do parallels or highlights in some way what the main characters are doing or experiencing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aside from that, how about having LG want to carry the newborn home in the car and not use the baby seat Penhale so graciously brought, and DM thinking it's okay to not use the baby seat and even later, think it's okay to drive with the baby sleeping on his shoulder?? :eek: Yeah, MC, DM as a medical show is SO much better and accurate than US ones...(not!)

(And, that was written in a joking tone!) :)

I think the carseat scene was a great opportunity for an educational public service announcement . The baby's birth was a total surprise. DM and LG were totally "out of it". Louisa's thought that she would hold the baby on the drive home was surprising because she would have gotten all the prenatal counseling. I don't think the Doc was rational enough to approve or disapprove. He was just there. Penhale did a great job.
    As to driving while carrying the babe on his shoulder...I'm assuming that that was what you thought as he was driving to AJ's farm. I don't remember him driving with the baby like that. I'll be very surprised if that occurred. I don't believe it did.

My biggest medical beef is the lack of IV's in all the emergency cases. IV access should almost always be established in an emergency be it for volume or rehydration or as access for meds. But then the "Port Wenn Effect" is in full force here...not to worry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »

It's actually a pretty good article, spoilers aside. He does repeat the canard about how American medical shows just make stuff up (I wish someone would disabuse him of this, but he clearly doesn't like House, etc.). But as he tells it now, the incident at the ER makes a little more sense -- the surgeon now seems to have diagnosed appendicitis and NOT a gall bladder problem. I still think, BTW, that he did relay something of that incident in the interview, b/c while Reader's Digest clearly embellished his telling of it, they didn't make it up out of whole cloth.

Here's another interview (first spotted by Leannethemouse)
    Here's an interesting (non-spoiler) quote from it:

"Odd to say for such an enduring series but it feels like ‘Doc Martin’ still struggles with its tone – at times it seems to aim for sitcom chuckles, at others a degree of dramatic heft. Still, Clunes is likeably lugubrious and it makes a pleasant change to see a primetime ITV drama that doesn’t seem too desperate to please everyone."

What do others think about that comment?

NewPark
    To me, it is pretty clear that MC has seen (or heard of) at least one incident on House where they used poetic licence to exaggerate the drama. No doubt he wanted to do the same on DM but was told it was legally impossible here so now purports to be holier than thou! I think it is said in a joking manner.

This top article actually quotes MC in the hospital debarkle but it is still difficult, now, to work out the context or order of events!

I really agree with the writer of your second last paragraph. DM does struggle with tone particularly, for me, in the last 2 series. Whether this is a function of using so many writers or of allowing actors to interpret their own characters to some extent is unclear.

Ben Bolt certainly writes DM as a particularly grumpy and even mean character in the episodes he writes.

It does create an uneven show but maybe this is also what adds to the depth of the show? Not sure but it certainly keeps us from being settled!!! :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the carseat scene was a great opportunity for an educational public service announcement . The baby's birth was a total surprise. DM and LG were totally "out of it". Louisa's thought that she would hold the baby on the drive home was surprising because she would have gotten all the prenatal counseling. I don't think the Doc was rational enough to approve or disapprove. He was just there. Penhale did a great job.

Well, LG was against using the car seat at first and DM didn't step in and correct her like regarding baby care like he did in almost every way from then on once they were home. It took Penhale's obstinate use of the law to protect the child in the drive home. Whether that was for a public service announcement or not, it did not make DM and LG look that smart to the audience.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    One week.....One more week to go! :D
    I can't contain my excitement lol, I'm just hoping this week will fly by. Although, saying that...I think we should enjoy the time left because as soon as the series starts, doesn't it just go so quick:confused:

Still......This time next week, we shall all be chatting about how Ep.1 went and all our withdrawal symptoms cured for a little while ;)

ONE FLIPPIN' WEEK EEEEK! :D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BlooSky wrote: »
    I can't contain my excitement lol, I'm just hoping this week will fly by. Although, saying that...I think we should enjoy the time left because as soon as the series starts, doesn't it just go so quick:confused:

Still......This time next week, we shall all be chatting about how Ep.1 went and all our withdrawal symptoms cured for a little while ;)

Well, SOME of you will have seen the episode while we in the "outer darkness" shall have to wait! :)

Rob
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    Well, SOME of you will have seen the episode while we in the "outer darkness" shall have to wait! :)

Rob

I should have been born British.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I should have been born British.

Don't say that, not that there's anything wrong with it. ;):p:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BlooSky wrote: »

What day/time is it premiering?
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, LG was against using the car seat at first and DM didn't step in and correct her like regarding baby care like he did in almost every way from then on once they were home. It took Penhale's obstinate use of the law to protect the child in the drive home. Whether that was for a public service announcement or not, it did not make DM and LG look that smart to the audience.

I think that scene was written to show how incredibly unprepared they both were for this baby. Louisa must have been distracted when they were discussing car seats in the prenatal classes. And Martin may have never read anything on that subject since it wasn't an area that he would be involved with as a GP. In his retraining they probably focused on health issues rather than safety issues.

And, of course, he never expected to ever have a baby of his own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I think that scene was written to show how incredibly unprepared they both were for this baby. Louisa must have been distracted when they were discussing car seats in the prenatal classes. And Martin may have never read anything on that subject since it wasn't an area that he would be involved with as a GP. In his retraining they probably focused on health issues rather than safety issues.

And, of course, he never expected to ever have a baby of his own.

Precisely, Shop Girl....neither of them is very sharp at this time...mostly stunned
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What day/time is it premiering?

I believe it airs at 9 pm next Monday in the UK, 5 pm EDT, 2 pm PDT.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yup, Sept. 2, etc. is what some our Brit friends are saying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Yes it's on ITV at 9PM. I might watch it again on ITV+1 straight after :D

The TV Guide articles come out tomorrow. There might be new promo pictures in the mags. I shall keep an eye out
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

4 p.m. EDT, 1 pm PDT
This discussion has been closed.