Options

C4 'The Undateables'

Comments

• Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think many of these parents are far too pushy - it must be very pressurising for their children. I think Richard's mum should lighten up just a tad - she's not helping his anxiety imho. (They come over as a bit desperate - the parents, not the children!)

She's not pushy ... She's had years of explaining things to her son and knows this is the best way to deal with it. A lot of people with Asbergers think very black and white so it's no good being wispy washy with them.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    kitty86 wrote: »
    I think Justin was so brave going to that speed dating event. All of them are so lovely, but Shane is my favourite.

Oh yes, I'd never do it.
    He comes over as the type who'd have no end of female friends though.
    Maybe he keeps trying to get out of the friendzone.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Love this programe. always leaves me smiling.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Love this programe. always leaves me smiling.

Same here, sometimes a little tear escapes as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ænima wrote: »
    Never heard that one before :p

Rhyming slang, bunny rabbit, rabbit n pork, talk.
    It's a long route, lots don't know the route, but know the term, I suppose.

Just watched it again on +1.
    Any thoughts on Laurien(sp) and Marie anyone?
  • Options
    mrs.deschanelmrs.deschanel Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    She's not pushy ... She's had years of explaining things to her son and knows this is the best way to deal with it. A lot of people with Asbergers think very black and white so it's no good being wispy washy with them.

I'm the mum of a child with autism. He likes everything to follow strict rules and people to be blunt. He hates (and doesn't understand) anything wishy washy and that's not straight to the point. Also I admit I'm pushy - not just because I want him settled before I get too old to care for his additional needs but because I want him to have every opportunity despite his disability. I could have easily given up and allowed him to go to special school and drift along but I wanted him to meet his potential and do things other people take for granted. It's not easy having a child on the spectrum and you have to (wo)man up and stick your battle armour on. For my son (maybe not for all) the pushing works and he is loving school and studying things way beyond his peer group. I fought to give him wings and he learned to fly. I couldn't be prouder of my little man. He doesn't let anything stand in his way.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Always cracks me up when Richard is asked to go out the 5 mile zone and he starts swearing.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eviled2010 wrote: »
    Richard's mum is a star...a lovely lady in every way.
    Not only her, but Sam's father is equally great I thought from the first time we saw them both.
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Thought that Lorien looked stunning. Can't quite believe that she has to go to a dating agency to find a partner :confused:
  • Options
    PedroPedro Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    myss wrote: »
    Ahhh yes Shaine! :)
    Is that the Bard from Bournemouth? He's like a cross between David Jason and Charlie Drake.
  • Options
    SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The people on this prog have learning difficulties not mental health problems.

Yes, but what does it mean? As a 'layman', I don't really know what the difference is? Sorry! :(
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but what does it mean? As a 'layman', I don't really know what the difference is? Sorry! :(

It's complex. People who have learning difficulties or disabilities usually have them from birth or early years or as the result of damage to the brain later on. Some children are starved of oxygen at birth and then go on to have problems learning. I know a little girl who was fine until she fell from a horse aged 7 and suffered serious brain damage. Some people have quite minor problems others much more severe and they are permanent although people can learn strategies to help themselves. Could be things like dyslexia, dyspraxia, autistic spectrum disorders, fragile x syndrome and many other things.

Mental health problems cover things like having a nervous breakdown, post natal depression, anxiety, post traumatic stress disorder, bi-polar, schizophrenia and loads of other things. Mental health problems are often temporary.

Of course people with learning disability can also develop mental illness.

I hope this helps a bit and I am pleased that you asked. :)
  • Options
    SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's complex. People who have learning difficulties or disabilities usually have them from birth or early years or as the result of damage to the brain later on. Some children are starved of oxygen at birth and then go on to have problems learning. I know a little girl who was fine until she fell from a horse aged 7 and suffered serious brain damage. Some people have quite minor problems others much more severe and they are permanent although people can learn strategies to help themselves. Could be things like dyslexia, dyspraxia, autistic spectrum disorders, fragile x syndrome and many other things.

Mental health problems cover things like having a nervous breakdown, post natal depression, anxiety, post traumatic stress disorder, bi-polar, schizophrenia and loads of other things. Mental health problems are often temporary.

Of course people with learning disability can also develop mental illness.

I hope this helps a bit and I am pleased that you asked. :)
    It does help, thanks, and I'm pleased that you answered! :) To people who don't know anything about this kind of thing, I think the two often get lumped together, so any explanation can only be a good thing. (And might quieten down the ignoramuses, not that there's any in this thread, ho hum........ ;-)) I'm glad that these conditions are recognised in our modern age, but slightly concerned that some 'milder' people might get 'labelled', which might prevent them from getting a job or being taken seriously? Jenay (I think?) seemed so 'together', that putting her with Sam seemed rather unfair on both of them.

(Just as a PS....., I'm a diagnosed ADD sufferer, but no-one's ever told me I've got learning difficulties, lol - I suppose that's not bad enough! :D)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My goodness! Shaine constantly reminds me of Justin Fletcher!
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Always cracks me up when Richard is asked to go out the 5 mile zone and he starts swearing.

I did wonder if Richard could become agressive if taken out of his comfort zone. Something for Lorien to consider if she intended developing a long-term relationship with Richard.

I also found Richard's swearing more of a shock than the entire output the week earlier from the guy who had tourettes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    heiker wrote: »
    I did wonder if Richard could become agressive if taken out of his comfort zone. Something for Lorien to consider if she intended developing a long-term relationship with Richard.

I also found Richard's swearing more of a shock than the entire output the week earlier from the guy who had tourettes.

I found his swearing amusing, not sure why, might be the disconnect of rather mild bloke F'ing and Blinding.
    I was surprised his Mum didn't pull him up on it.

Oh that's reminded me of him stamping on the mince, then it falling out of the freezer.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I found his swearing amusing, not sure why, might be the disconnect of rather mild bloke F'ing and Blinding.
    I was surprised his Mum didn't pull him up on it.

Oh that's reminded me of him stamping on the mince, then it falling out of the freezer.

That bit had me in stitches! :D:blush:
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A new series starts Monday at 9pm.

I hope they have someone else with Asperger's on the show, as it is always good to see how the condition affects other people.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this the only Undateables thread?? I thought there would be loads of posts on here considering how popular the programme was and that the first episode of the new series was this week!

Edit: Never mind - I've found it. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    myss wrote: »
    Is this the only Undateables thread?? I thought there would be loads of posts on here considering how popular the programme was and that the first episode of the new series was this week!

Other one.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2037849&page=6
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks PM, I think I found it at the same time you posted.
  • Options
    BeecosyBeecosy Posts: 2,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • Options
    katherine500000katherine500000 Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would that blonde girl really be considered undateable?I would guess she would have more blokes interested in her than the majority of so called normal girls
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would that blonde girl really be considered undateable?I would guess she would have more blokes interested in her than the majority of so called normal girls

She had been single for 4 years so had boyfriends before.

I suspect most men would get bored of her child like nature after a while.

I liked the other blond girl who went on the date with the lad with the umbrella trick.

He missed out that she said he could go under her umbrella. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Don't take the title too literally, just something to hang the show on, certainly doesn't come over in a tabloid, mocking the afflicted way, the title might lead you to suspect.
    Although if you're of the mind to laugh at the people involved, it really doesn't matter how the program is presented.
    As we've seen they're not really undateable.
    Most recent posts are over on the other thread.