Options

Esther McVey should be sacked

Comments

• Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    People can express their opinion how they like and shouldn't have accusation like above leveled at them for doing so.

Voices shouldn't be silenced.

Oh I don't know, there's one in particular I'd like silenced:)
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remember Aberfan, I remember it being a very sad time and I remember the reporter, John Humphreys reporting on it and being very upset.

You tend to remember disasters like Aberfan and Hillsborough, especially when children are killed.

I agree. Both tragedies are lodged in my memory. They both seemed at the time to be incomprehensible - how could a whole school full of children suddenly be gone and how could hundreds of people at a football match be maimed and injured and killed in such numbers?

When you hear of disasters in the air or sea or in areas where volcanoes or floods are common, the shock and bewilderment are less severe. Schools and football grounds are safe places. Or so we thought.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    trunkster wrote: »
    Oh I don't know, there's one in particular I'd like silenced:)

It's case of "Do as I say and not as I do" I'm afraid.:D

I share your sentiment.;-)
  • Options
    GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    why.?

If you have to ask .........
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Do you observe every remembrance of every football, mining, shipping, aeroplane disaster? Or just the ones on the TV?

How do you commemorate the pan am bombing? The moortgate tube crash? The Bradford city stadium fire?

Unless these are different? And and should not be human nature to care about the tragic death of other human beings? But you are going to have to explain the difference lest you appear a hypocrite.

There is no difference.

If the MP for say Bradford was doing the same during say the city 25th anniversary commemoration of the the Bradford fire, I'd think it pretty poor too.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Self-serving people don't have much of a sense of decency or respect for others. Most of the people interesting in politics who aren't in it purely for what they can gain aren't in the big parties.

I thought Andy Burnham was nailed on for the self-serving award.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is no difference.

If the MP for say Bradford was doing the same during say the city 25th anniversary commemoration of the the Bradford fire, I'd think it pretty poor too.

Doing the same - sending a tweet?:D:D:D

Do you have a calendar with all the anniversaries of every event in which people died nailed to your wall?
  • Options
    television2004television2004 Posts: 2,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ennerjee wrote: »
    This is all based on media heightened awareness of the anniversary of Hillsborough and is an excuse for non-Tory supporters to have a go at this MP because they don't like her.

Yes, she is a Merseyside MP, but she isn't compelled to be in mourning for this anniversary and she was exercising her other duties.

I think the Hillsborough disaster is, by definition, important to supporters of football primarily and with it being covered by the news today we have been made aware of it and a lot of people who wouldn't have necessarily commemorated did so because they felt it was the thing to do. Esther McVeigh was not in this category and neither should she be.

The world doesn't revolve around Merseyside.

What about Heysel stadium in 1985? 39 people died and 600 injured.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are entitled to behave how they like, the problem lies here however is that she is an MP who represents a large number of people on Merseyside.

If she wasn't an MP there, it wouldn't be an issue.

Do I think she should be sacked for it? No.

Is it just another action in a long list of insensitive behavior? Yes.

Is she likely to be voted out of office in just over a years time? I'd say yes.
  • Options
    alaninmcralaninmcr Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This one happened in Liverpool, so it's more important than disasters like Aberfan.

Do you really mean that?
  • Options
    nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People are entitled to behave how they like, the problem lies here however is that she is an MP who represents a large number of people on Merseyside.

If she wasn't an MP there, it wouldn't be an issue.

Do I think she should be sacked for it? No.

Is it just another action in a long list of insensitive behavior? Yes.

Is she likely to be voted out of office in just over a years time? I'd say yes.

Why is she?
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    alaninmcr wrote: »
    Do you really mean that?
    You need to read in context. Unfortunately some people need things like rolleyes smileys but even then they may not get the point.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Why is she?

is that an existentialist question?
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is she?

I wish I knew.
  • Options
    razorboyrazorboy Posts: 5,831
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Doing the same - sending a tweet?:D:D:D

Do you have a calendar with all the anniversaries of every event in which people died nailed to your wall?

Why do people have to exaggerate

There are different responsibilities and expectations on MPs and Civic Leaders and we rightly expect them to act appropriately, individuals like you and me are not so constrained

I have said that earlier in this thread that this is only relevant because she was a local MP and the subject of the tweet was local. She could not seriously claim to be unaware so it was a silly thing to do as she admitted in her apology.

Having said that I do not think she should be sacked for this, we all make mistakes and hopefully she will have learnt from it.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you're attending a memorial service it is pretty disrespectful to have your mobile devices switched on let alone start using them.

But if you're not there (which it would appear she wasn't) then there's nothing to answer for.

Perhaps a more pertinent question isn't that she was tweeting but why she wasn't there in the first place being as she's a local MP. But being as a quick perusal of this thread suggests none of those slagging off McVey appear to be asking that question this thread can be summed up as mock outrage stooping to a new low.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is she?

AS things stand she's hardly sitting on a massive majority.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    At this rate, political parties are going to have to ban their members from social media for their own good.

I would agree with this.

MPs shouldn't have Twitter at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MPs shouldn't have Twitter at all.

Some need to learn to "engage brain" before they use it what with the number of professional offence takers out in the world, but to suggest they should all be banned from having Twitter accounts is going way, way overboard.
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She tweeted, during the day. How dare she.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a Liverpool lass she seems especially out of touch with Liverpool

Perhaps it is another example of the London centric world MPs and their flunkies live in
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    For a Liverpool lass she seems especially out of touch with Liverpool

By being a tory as opposed to the stereotypical whingy scouse lefty do you mean?

:)
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    razorboy wrote: »
    Why do people have to exaggerate

There are different responsibilities and expectations on MPs and Civic Leaders and we rightly expect them to act appropriately, individuals like you and me are not so constrained

I have said that earlier in this thread that this is only relevant because she was a local MP and the subject of the tweet was local. She could not seriously claim to be unaware so it was a silly thing to do as she admitted in her apology.

Having said that I do not think she should be sacked for this, we all make mistakes and hopefully she will have learnt from it.

Nail hit firmly on the head.
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    For a Liverpool lass she seems especially out of touch with LiverpoolPerhaps it is another example of the London centric world MPs and their flunkies live in

Really?? Do you stereotype all people in the UK?
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trunkster wrote: »
    Really?? Do you stereotype all people in the UK?

I would have thought someone from Liverpool would retain an interest in what happens in Liverpool, just as someone from Margate retains an interest in what happens in Margate

Since when is it stereotyping to assume that?