Options

The next Labour leader? - your bets

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they will go fir the younger man like the Lib Dems have done - So it's Miliband.
  • Options
    Katla RevengerKatla Revenger Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    Peter E wrote: »
    We all know Brown will be toast a week by now so who do you think think will be the next labour leader (not caretaker leader).

I think it's between David Miliband and Alan Johnson. Harriet Harman and Ed Balls will throw their hats into the ring but they won't win (well I hope not anyway :D).

Millibeast is like a YTS version of Mandleslime, Harman may not have a seat from all accounts but Johnson seems like a ok guy, bit like Prescott who was not afraid to speak his mind.
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you all considering the next PM in an coalition with Clegg or the next Leader Of The Opposition? Does it make a difference do you think? I heard someone on local radio say that if the Tories don't get a majority and it's up to Gordon to try and form a Coalition then he may just throw the towel in and resign and in that case Harman becomes PM even if only temporarily.
  • Options
    Katla RevengerKatla Revenger Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    Majlis wrote: »
    Chancellor Darling should get the job - the only one I can see with any integrity.

he represents a Scottish constituentcy and may not be acceptable to a party which has had three Scots in a row and may feel an English candidate is more acceptable. Darling faces a strong challenge and may not hold onto his seat.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you all considering the next PM in an coalition with Clegg or the next Leader Of The Opposition? Does it make a difference do you think? I heard someone on local radio say that if the Tories don't get a majority and it's up to Gordon to try and form a Coalition then he may just throw the towel in and resign and in that case Harman becomes PM even if only temporarily.

The Queen can ask anyone to form a government. They do not necessarily have to be leader of a party, although it is likely they would take on this role if they were PM.

In practice, if the Tories have got somewhere near to a majority, and it is looking as if either that or a Tory majority will be the outcome, Cameron will have the best chance of forming a government. Brown will recognise this (and if he doesn't, someone will point it out to him!) and he will resign and advise the Queen to send for Cameron.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miliband he's been positioning himself for months. All that cozying with Clinton wouldn't have been for nothing! I'd say he would put himself forward.
  • Options
    THRTHR Posts: 9,808
    Forum Member
    If Labour get annihilated at the polls it is really irrelevant who thei new leader is going to be. Someone who still has a parliamentary seat.

On the other hand, the times ahead will be so tough that being leader of the opposition will be a really juicy job. I think this election will be dubbed by posterity as the election everyone would have loved to lose.
  • Options
    Binky WinkyBinky Winky Posts: 4,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rothschild
  • Options
    cleocleo Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike O'Brien :) Maybe?

He's my local MP and very good at that job. A junior minister, squeaky clean on expenses.

I think they should look for someone not too high up in the current government, because people usually want someone totally fresh in a party they've just voted out.

Picking someone like Milliband would be like when the tories had Michael Howard - a mistake
  • Options
    bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If John Cruddas hangs on to his seat he might try have a go for the Leadership:confused:

But i think Hilliary Benn will be the next Leader:confused:
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Diane Abbott, with Michael Portillo as her chancellor.
  • Options
    blue_cobaltblue_cobalt Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    The only Labour MPs I would like to see as PM are either Jack Straw or Ken Livingstone :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely it's Milliband?
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan Johnson. I sincerely hope it's not Milliband 1 or 2.
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harriet :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miliband hopefully.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More election betting odds than you can shake a stick at

http://www.oddschecker.com/specials/politics-and-election/

next Labour leader betting at

http://www.oddschecker.com/specials/politics-and-election/next-party-leaders/next-labour-leader

I just can't understand the interest in Ed Milband - he's just an even duller version of his big brother.