Options

The next Labour leader? - your bets

Comments

• Options
    SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    100% will not be Ed Milliband. He's not a leader IMO.

I think it will be David.

Labour will be wanting a Vibrant young fresh looking face to spark interest back into the party (of they fail the election). It's for this reason I think David Will provail.

David has experience and is also quite commanding. I think he'd be a good leader with Lord Mandy also pulling some of his strings.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed Balls is no good - he too much like marmite.......

David Milliband is too much like TB Mrk 2......

Liam Byrne is too smarmy..

Andy Burnham is Labour's ideal candidate.
  • Options
    Pices-55Pices-55 Posts: 18,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    I'm not averse to Alan Johnson. I hope it's him.

Not Ed Milliband please. He's awful.

Hi Sid :) Alan Jhnson seems to be fairly non offensive compared to most of the Labour big wigs, so I agree with you there, either of the Millibands are awful but David Milliband is a good speaker except I always want to slap that stupid grin off his face.

My choice of preference if I had one would be Darling, he does seem to have honesty and integrity for a politician, its not been that obvious but I think we can say he has been somewhat castrated by Brown, as we know GB does not listen to anyone else,s opinion.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pices-55 wrote: »
    I think Balls will get it, and that really is a gruesome thought.

I think Ed Balls is one of those Labour politicians who the country could never see as Prime Minister - like Neil Kinnock.
  • Options
    Pices-55Pices-55 Posts: 18,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    I think Ed Balls is one of those Labour politicians who the country could never see as Prime Minister - like Neil Kinnock.

So do I, but I just have a feeling that it will be Balls.:eek:
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Balls could never command a majority in any of the three components of the electoral college. It would be a straight fight between Johnson and Milliband.
  • Options
    Launch FanLaunch Fan Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    If it's Milliband, God help them!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan Johnson I think. Or possibly Andy Burnham.

Please NOT Ed Balls under any circumstances.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    With respect that's very silly to bring that up. We really expect people who's job it is and who's duty it is to support their current leader to come out and say "I'll do it!!"

You must think NOBODY in parliament will ever become the leader of their party because all of them, when asked, will always say that they don't want to.

Please don't tell me what I think.

I am entitled to my opinion, Thank you.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alan Johnson I think. Or possibly Andy Burnham.

Please NOT Ed Balls under any circumstances.

Is Andy Burnham the one who dyes his hair?

Peter has picked Miliband. So I guess and sincerely hope it is Miliband.
  • Options
    intjintj Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I've said elsewhere, I fancy Johnson to get the role as caretaker for a few years clearing the way for Miliband and doing all the gritty work himself.

Now would not be the right time for Milliband to take over and the powers that be....well, Peter Mandelson....will realise this and not 'waste' him immediately after Brown.

I think this is most likely or Darling now then Milliband.
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chancellor Darling should get the job - the only one I can see with any integrity.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Is Andy Burnham the one who dyes his hair?

No idea. :D He might do I guess. It is very dark.

(My mother is convinced Alistair Darling dyes his eyebrows, but I keep telling her that I can't even start to imagine why he would want to do that. :D)
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without doubt, it will be someone hated by the general public.
  • Options
    Poison_FengPoison_Feng Posts: 3,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to see a true Labour member lead the party. Not someone pretending to be Labour while following a different agenda.

Someone like Hilary Benn.

I do not agree with his policies but respect this man for the fact he is a TRUE Labour member and has never deviated form his stance on policies.

He has never tried to adopt Tory policies just so that he can gain power and is respected by all sides of the house.

A worthy candidate.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to see a true Labour member lead the party. Not someone pretending to be Labour while following a different agenda.

Someone like Hilary Benn.

I do not agree with his policies but respect this man for the fact he is a TRUE Labour member and has never deviated form his stance on policies.

He has never tried to adopt Tory policies just so that he can gain power and is respected by all sides of the house.

A worthy candidate.

Yes, I'd agree with that one.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnson would be the least offensive. Seems a nice, relatively normal, chap.

Miliband the Slightly Older would be OK, but I cannot see him connecting with the working class Labour core vote. He's too much of a clone without any personality of his own.

Anyone else apart from Harman or Balls (assuming he still has a seat next Friday)

Then again, it doesn't matter who the Labour leader is, the Dark Lord will still be in charge.
  • Options
    Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    I'm not averse to Alan Johnson. I hope it's him.

So do I. I know he's only had a relatively short stint at being Home Secretary, but I think he has done a fine job so far, given the circumstances.
    Met him a while ago; perfectly decent chap.

Certainly not one of these slick, slimey politicians you'd expect to stab you in the back the second you turn around.

On a sidenote - I only recently found out he started off as a humble London postie all those years ago - way to go Johnson!

Oh, and please please not mad Hattie. I have minus zero confidence in her competence.
  • Options
    Poison_FengPoison_Feng Posts: 3,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Johnson would be the least offensive. Seems a nice, relatively normal, chap.

Miliband the Slightly Older would be OK, but I cannot see him connecting with the working class Labour core vote. He's too much of a clone without any personality of his own.

Anyone else apart from Harman or Balls (assuming he still has a seat next Friday)

Then again, it doesn't matter who the Labour leader is, the Dark Lord will still be in charge.
    IMHO I think that Johnson is like a slimmed down John Prescott.

Very hard to take him seriously and unlike Hilary Benn, his views have changed rapidly over the last few years as he moved up the ladder of power.

He is also too much of a bully. He shouts down interviewers and when he is on programs such as QT, he talks over the other members.
  • Options
    QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    Prime Minister Balls?! :D
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QWERTYOP wrote: »
    Prime Minister Balls?! :D

One reason why it'll never happen. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O god not Ed Balls! He commands no authority at all. Milliband, son of a Marxist at a time when the nation is moving away from all that? Alan Johnson? Would the rest of the House look to him for guidance on anything? Do any of these people appear to be statesmen who will be taken seriously by other leaders? Nodding Harriet? Have you listened to her at PMQ?

All their (relatively) best people were alienated by Blair and Brown. Voldermort could do a Viscount Stansgate and head back to the Commons but is he that desperate?
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alistair Darling is probably the most principled of them all, but is probably a bit too old compared to Cameron and Clegg. Alan Johnson doesn't seem to be up to the job of leader, but might get it by being inoffensive to everyone. None of the Milliband clan please (especially not David M who makes me feel decidedly uneasy). Harman is finished IMO.

I know Ed Balls gets a lot of flak here, but he actually seems to have had a good campaign. He's done well on TV whenever I've seen him. Is he really as bad as some people say he is? Better than any of the Millibands anyway.
  • Options
    Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMHO I think that Johnson is like a slimmed down John Prescott.

What a bizarre comparison. They are not remotely alike.

(And I sure hope that Prescott was, and will remain, one of a kind. Talk about ditching all your most fundamental principles and turning into a total embarrassment. And beating people up along the way.)
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    Alistair Darling is probably the most principled of them all, but is probably a bit too old compared to Cameron and Clegg.

Apparently the bookies odds on Darling have been coming down. Assuming he holds his seat from a strong SNP challenge he could be a decent outside bet as a "stop Hattie" or "stop Milly" candidate.

On the plus side he has done a decent job as Chancellor and nobody in the Labour party seems to hate him. On the negative, he's another Scot and he's not exactly Mr Personality.

At least under a Darling leadership, Labour would have to drop the class warfare and attacks on Eton educated Conservatives - he went to the poshest school in Scotland.