Options

The Bill (Drama Pace)

Comments

• Options
    guttridgeguttridge Posts: 1,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How come yesterday episode ended weird no preview of the next episode .
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tubzy2001 wrote: »
    I've complained to uktv this morning and will be receiving a call from them next week as to why they are messing about with The Bill as next Saturday they are back to 2006 episodes

Is that right 2006! why are the doing this I will be in touch as well, The Watch channel is are doing episodes from 2005 this is plain stupid>:(
  • Options
    tubzy2001tubzy2001 Posts: 1,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Early 2006 Watch are showing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry my post wasn't about Drama
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right ive just checked Drama's tv listings & The Bill is carrying on from the last episode phew I was just getting ready to call them:D http://drama.uktv.co.uk/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for confusing people
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    guttridge wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the likes of polly page or Ben Haywood are up to know?

Ben Peyton aka Ben Heyward

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0679029/

Lisa Geoghan aka Polly Page

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0313287/?ref_=tt_cl_t3
  • Options
    WrexyWrexy Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Readingfan wrote: »
    Having read a suggestion on another forum, I contacted UKTV about whether they'd do anything to mark 30 years since The Bill proper started in the autumn. They said they would consider it and would look to see how much audience demand there was. Hence if anyone would be interested in seeing something to commemorate the occasion I'd suggest contacting them!

I'd love a couple of where are they now documentaries, one for the characters and one for the actors
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry if its been mentioned but anyone know why the skipped 'A week of nights part 1' ?
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrexy wrote: »
    Sorry if its been mentioned but anyone know why the skipped 'A week of nights part 1' ?
    Bonesy84 wrote: »
    According to there facebook page somone emailed them and got this reply from them

Thank you for your email.

We are sorry to hear that you were unhappy with the scheduling of The Bill.

We schedule episodes in order, but sometimes an episode is judged to be unsuitable for pre-watershed transmission by our compliance checkers.

If we are showing the programme before the watershed, we may have to skip certain episodes, to prevent risking an Ofcom fine if viewers complain.

There may be an issue with showing certain episodes if they conflict with similar shows on other channels or if we are unable to obtain the rights to that episode. We are also sensitive to current affairs and an episode may be replaced at late notice due to the topics it covers.

Where possible we show all the episodes in the right order, except that some episodes may have to be missed out. Whilst we realise this can affect the flow of the story, we do our best to maintain running order.

We have to abide by the standards required by Ofcom and our responsibility as a broadcaster.

Kind regards

The UKTV Team

Watched the one about the graffiti last night, another Rolf Harris mention :D
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

The general perception in this thread is that episode was skipped due to the fact it contained a conversation between Des Taviner and Sgt Gilmore that involved a list of offensive euphemisms for homosexuals. It was actually Gilmore saying them as a way of telling Des that he (Gilmore) knew just what Des thought of him
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    The general perception in this thread is that episode was skipped due to the fact it contained a conversation between Des Taviner and Sgt Gilmore that involved a list of offensive euphemisms for homosexuals. It was actually Gilmore saying them as a way of telling Des that he (Gilmore) knew just what Des thought of him

PC gone mad again
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting Paul Usher who played Taviner hasn't done much since Robin Hood in 2006
  • Options
    The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ray266 wrote: »
    PC gone mad again

we wouldn't have Des, any other way !! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the answers everybody, still annoying though. Don't think theres any reason why they couldn't have shown the episodes in the late night slot
  • Options
    james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the answers everybody, still annoying though. Don't think theres any reason why they couldn't have shown the episodes in the late night slot

wasn't it always pre-watershed on itv anyway, it was broadcast at 8pm so what's their reasoning for not being suitable pre-watershed now?
  • Options
    Ken TunKen Tun Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    james_W85 wrote: »
    wasn't it always pre-watershed on itv anyway, it was broadcast at 8pm so what's their reasoning for not being suitable pre-watershed now?

I don't know about original transmission times but things have moved on a bit in the intervening years regarding what can be said. I'm watching episodes from 1990 at the moment and the P-word is used quite frequently - there may even have been the odd N-word too. There's no way that could go out now before or after the watershed. The point which I don't understand about Week Of Nights Pt 1 is why they didn't simply cut the scene as it had no particular relevance to the main plot.
  • Options
    PsychoTherapistPsychoTherapist Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That was quite strange.

The episode was 4:3 and it's end credits played the same part of the tune on loop, with freeze framed background graphics.

I can't understand why this was done either, since the next episode is quite inoffensive and they're showing it as normal.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Watched the one about the graffiti last night, another Rolf Harris mention :D

I just watched the graffiti episode, really dull episode I thought. Can't wait to see the Brittaniamania episodes... Every fan seems to rave about these episodes, and this is the very first time that I'm going to see them!

Regarding a week of nights part 1, I guess like Ken Tun said, times have changed a lot. I was even surprised by some of the language used towards Craig Gilmore in his first episode! I can't imagine people describing gay people like that nowadays and being that offensive (not that I would ever complain as it's just fiction, but I can't imagine language or attitudes like that being aired pre watershed nowadays)

I guess Drama didn't want to risk airing the episode and receiving complaints. Viewers are far quicker to complain about things they see nowadays, compared to 10-15 years ago. Really though, they could have cut the scene out if they thought it unnecessary. I don't think it particularly matters though - it's all about the context. It's just a TV programme, and if Des Taviner is homophobic then so be it. It's his character, and the actor is just acting out a fictional role. It's no way a reflection of the actor's own attitudes or the TV programme or Drama channel trying to promote homophobia.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just watched the graffiti episode, really dull episode I thought. Can't wait to see the Brittaniamania episodes... Every fan seems to rave about these episodes, and this is the very first time that I'm going to see them!

Regarding a week of nights part 1, I guess like Ken Tun said, times have changed a lot. I was even surprised by some of the language used towards Craig Gilmore in his first episode! I can't imagine people describing gay people like that nowadays and being that offensive (not that I would ever complain as it's just fiction, but I can't imagine language or attitudes like that being aired pre watershed nowadays)

I guess Drama didn't want to risk airing the episode and receiving complaints. Viewers are far quicker to complain about things they see nowadays, compared to 10-15 years ago. Really though, they could have cut the scene out if they thought it unnecessary. I don't think it particularly matters though - it's all about the context. It's just a TV programme, and if Des Taviner is homophobic then so be it. It's his character, and the actor is just acting out a fictional role. It's no way a reflection of the actor's own attitudes or the TV programme or Drama channel trying to promote homophobia.

The Brittaniamania episodes are brilliant - the beginning of Chris Simmons becoming a legend in my eyes. Mickey goes on such a journey throughout the years and it's weird to see him very early on when you know how he is in 2010.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But Des would say things like that it was 2001 so what's the difference with now? Drama should show The Bill at 8pm or 9pm and show all episodes in order they were put on whats the problem with that:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was quite strange.

The episode was 4:3 and it's end credits played the same part of the tune on loop, with freeze framed background graphics.

I can't understand why this was done either, since the next episode is quite inoffensive and they're showing it as normal.

Yes I spotted that as well.
  • Options
    CBel27CBel27 Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    That was quite strange.

Ray266 wrote: »
    Yes I spotted that as well.

I may be incorrect, but I'm almost certain that these edits were made by FremantleMedia who edited the episodes to accommodate for foreign TV stations' requirements. For example, some TV stations perhaps didn't want the standard ITV "Next Time on The Bill" preview. I also believe the episodes were cropped to 4:3 for the same reason.

It seems as though FremantleMedia have supplied Drama with the wrong transmission masters again...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBel27 wrote: »
    I may be incorrect, but I'm almost certain that these edits were made by FremantleMedia who edited the episodes to accommodate for foreign TV stations' requirements. For example, some TV stations perhaps didn't want the standard ITV "Next Time on The Bill" preview. I also believe the episodes were cropped to 4:3 for the same reason.

It seems as though FremantleMedia have supplied Drama with the wrong transmission masters again...

Right I see could be right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought what was funny when Des called someone a blurt last week he does come out when some real funny's or the writer's know what he would say just spot on:D:D