Options

Sky Q Teething problems

Comments

• Options
    turboturbo Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    BOOTHY2905 wrote: »
    Boys you all need to man up and tell the bread knife to accept change.

I've got the family round for mother's day.. The boys are all upstairs watching the football in my bedroom.

Nothing about manning up. I just want to watch TV in the boys room downstairs. Rather than watching error mr209 etc.

I'll see what Sky say tomorrow.
  • Options
    swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's was tested for a good few years in real homes.

And the tv guide is a lot more strenuous to get to than the 2 button presses of previous epg. Now you have 2 button presses and that calorie busting swipe up. Such a pain!!!! People are gonna be cancelling gym memberships nationwide because of it!!!
    It's not sky+ HD anymore. It's a new state of the art system and it would be slagged off to high hell if it was the same look with the new added features. Loads of mention of wives on this site too. Boys you all need to man up and tell the bread knife to accept change.

Not 2 its at least 5, and a really ill thought out idea, 5 pushes just to see whats on TV ! press SKY and it goes straight to recordings ! Should have been press SKY and go straight to guide !
    When you get to the guide, its nowhere near as clear as the old SkyHD and cluttered too

Looks all very posh and Hi-Tec but thats where it stops !
  • Options
    BOOTHY2905BOOTHY2905 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swills wrote: »
    Not 2 its at least 5, and a really ill thought out idea, 5 pushes just to see whats on TV ! press SKY and it goes straight to recordings ! Should have been press SKY and go straight to guide !
    When you get to the guide, its nowhere near as clear as the old SkyHD and cluttered too

Looks all very posh and Hi-Tec but thats where it stops !

The guide layout is virtually identical apart from the colours maybe.
    One big criticism for Sky classic stuff is the clunky and old EPG.
    People don't like having to use their head to adapt to change. You're all prime examples of this.

Not one person I've seen using it has said it's rubbish and not good enough.

And 5 button presses is an exaggeration. press home and swipe up and press button again. that's 3 actions, but again if your sweating and out of breath after this then I'll get you a tv remote servant to follow your commands till the voice command options kick in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    turbo wrote: »
    I've got the family round for mother's day.. The boys are all upstairs watching the football in my bedroom.

Nothing about manning up. I just want to watch TV in the boys room downstairs. Rather than watching error mr209 etc.

I'll see what Sky say tomorrow.

What's the wife moaning about new things in the house got to do with you being segregated in a bedroom to watch the footy?
    I presume the wives moaning about the remotes etc are adult age's and therefore fully capable of a slightly different type of simple hand eye coordination in order to make it work. But we are a very lazy society these days
  • Options
    powarpowar Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    Your missing the whole point, sky have made changers to sky q for the sake of it, why change the remote?( what was wrong with having a layout like the sky+HD remote?) And why have they over complicated everything when they did not need to, i think you will find this is what has got people frustrated with sky q. You say its not sky HD anymore, but sky HD is so simple and user friendly to use, i certainly would not change my sky HD box for this sky q mess. ( If its not broke dot try to fix it)

Too funny. lol

Why create a new system and base it completely on its predecessor? :confused:

You are the one who is missing the point.

Thanks for the giggle though! :D
  • Options
    Keith_Rigby1Keith_Rigby1 Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    powar wrote: »
    Too funny. lol

Tell you what is funny the price of sky q and you get NO extra channels.:)
    And my sky+hd box is faster and more user friendly.
    But when you have laid the cash out you have on this sky q, you have to back it up.:)
    But thanks for the giggle though!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell you what is funny the price of sky q and you get NO extra channels.:)
    And my sky+hd box is faster and more user friendly.
    But when you have laid the cash out you have on this sky q, you have to back it up.:)
    But thanks for the giggle though!

not everyone using it has paid for it.
  • Options
    Keith_Rigby1Keith_Rigby1 Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not everyone using it has paid for it.

My god sky are giving it away for free then ?:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guide layout is virtually identical apart from the colours maybe.
    One big criticism for Sky classic stuff is the clunky and old EPG.
    People don't like having to use their head to adapt to change. You're all prime examples of this.

Not one person I've seen using it has said it's rubbish and not good enough.

And 5 button presses is an exaggeration. press home and swipe up and press button again. that's 3 actions, but again if your sweating and out of breath after this then I'll get you a tv remote servant to follow your commands till the voice command options kick in.

The New EPG is nothing like the old one, and using the IR remote it's 5 presses. Its got nothing to do with sweating, its just a poor design.
    Press SKY to TV GUIDE simple SKY to 'recordings' is just a waste !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    powar wrote: »
    Too funny. lol

But they could have taken the good stuff from the current set up, and merged it with the new surely ? The shared planner is good, picture is better, but some say not ! the minis could be / will be good, the added music and video apps are good, but some of it is not as good as previously. EPG clever, but not as 'clear' IR remotes not as simple as the old SKY HD ones and small too ! (IR may get better when it actually works properly !)
  • Options
    turboturbo Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    I think everyone has missed my point. I don't get a reliable signal to two of 3 mini boxes.

One tv is totally unusable.
  • Options
    MR_PitkinMR_Pitkin Posts: 30,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My price has actually come down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To some people yeah.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swills wrote: »
    The New EPG is nothing like the old one, and using the IR remote it's 5 presses. Its got nothing to do with sweating, its just a poor design.
    Press SKY to TV GUIDE simple SKY to 'recordings' is just a waste !

Ok 5 buttons presses is such a quandry to be in. Think of this system as a starting block from another provider. Its not SKY+HD. It's Sky Q. It's a tv on demand system with you tube and vevo and Wi-Fi and shared planner. It's a brand new designed from ground up system. And live TV isn't the primary use for it. That's part of the point.
    I've sat here for e.5 hours and not watched anything live or live recorded. Bit of you tube. Some boxsets and a bit of airplay. Didn't have to press 5 buttons and get grey hair because of it.
    Change is harder for some people and the signs on this forum and behaviours demonstrated are text book reactions to it.
  • Options
    RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that Sky HD menu's were awful, I haven't a clue how skyQ work in action. I always prefered enigma 2 for all it's added functionally and tweakability and expert features.

As long as there is 1 button access to get back to live TV, and basic watching tv isn't messed up by the sky Q interface, i probably won't hate SkyQ.
  • Options
    ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok 5 buttons presses is such a quandry to be in. Think of this system as a starting block from another provider. Its not SKY+HD. It's Sky Q. It's a tv on demand system with you tube and vevo and Wi-Fi and shared planner. It's a brand new designed from ground up system. And live TV isn't the primary use for it. That's part of the point.
    I've sat here for e.5 hours and not watched anything live or live recorded. Bit of you tube. Some boxsets and a bit of airplay. Didn't have to press 5 buttons and get grey hair because of it.
    Change is harder for some people and the signs on this forum and behaviours demonstrated are text book reactions to it.

How stupid ! Of course its for live TV and that is why most get Sky to watch TV ! and its NOT from another provider its from Sky ! and its selling Sky TV ! Most of the new things are good, but I agree the method of getting to the TV guide is just plain annoying and daft ! on the old EPG you could drop down the channels and STILL see what was on the ones above, now that's all gone, you have to go up and down like a yo yo, also it gives the impression EVERTHING is in HD as nothing is highlighted anymore
    One question when playing something back, where is the stop button? or do you have to go back to the menu, select the item again then delete ?
  • Options
    nig6nig6 Posts: 680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    press the return button, left one under the trackpad then you can wipe right and delete it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any way to get into the mini guide while playing a recorded program? I can't seem to see a way apart from the last channel viewed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nig6 wrote: »
    press the return button, left one under the trackpad then you can wipe right and delete it.

What about if you are just using the IR remote ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you can do it on there too, return button is a box with a lefthand arrow and then arrow right to delete
  • Options
    Barry_HodgsonBarry_Hodgson Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Anyone else had their box just randomly bring up the info bar or randomly start rewinding the current program?

We had it, and the only thing i've put it down to is a faulty touch remote as when we've removed it's batteries and switched to the other remote, the issue has gone away.
  • Options
    bazzer00bazzer00 Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    The remote is quite sensitive so if you accidentally brush the touchpad, it will be activated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ktla5 wrote: »
    How stupid ! Of course its for live TV and that is why most get Sky to watch TV ! and its NOT from another provider its from Sky ! and its selling Sky TV ! Most of the new things are good, but I agree the method of getting to the TV guide is just plain annoying and daft ! on the old EPG you could drop down the channels and STILL see what was on the ones above, now that's all gone, you have to go up and down like a yo yo, also it gives the impression EVERTHING is in HD as nothing is highlighted anymore
    One question when playing something back, where is the stop button? or do you have to go back to the menu, select the item again then delete ?

That's the way its been made and designed. Live TV is a thing of the past for millions of people. Maybe they should have designed it completely and solely around your viewing habits and it would be more successful!!!

Please before ridiculing my comments can you please read it first. Live TV is part of it but it's not the sole purpose any more and that's what it's creation was made in mind with. You can argue with me till you are blue in the face but it's obvious you don't understand why and who its created for. And the possibilities the future will bring to this system.
    People, believe it or not don't want to watch live TV any more. I haven't watched anything live, again for probably the 5th night in a row. So you will never hear me moaning about "not getting in the guide in half of the 3 milliseconds it currently takes"

You obviously have rock solid habits when viewing and maybe on that basis this system is too much of a change for your temperament because it seem's something so little is driving you potty.
  • Options
    Barry_HodgsonBarry_Hodgson Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    bazzer00 wrote: »
    The remote is quite sensitive so if you accidentally brush the touchpad, it will be activated.

See that's what I thought, but it was on the other side of the room on the mantlepiece when it did it!
  • Options
    KOP1975KOP1975 Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love to be able to order it to have these problems.....