Options

Apple seeks $40 Per 'infringing' handset againt Samsung

Comments

• Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    There is no squirming - I just read it differently to you.

Way back when, this was about OS and brand, and those two factors on their own.

All tdenson really said was that people will base their decision on a variety of factors, rather than only the OS, or only the brand.

It may be that how it was worded it was ambiguous, but I'd be surprised if that wasn't what he meant.

Correct. Of all my non-techie friends and acquaintances I know with an Android phone (probably a few dozen) I can't believe any one of them bought it BECAUSE IT WAS ANDROID. They will have bought it because it met a price point and functionality. Half of them won't even know it is Android.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »

He deliberately said 90% of android users had no idea or paid no regard to the OS and simply wanted cheap and cheerful.

Your own quote from me just a couple of posts back quotes me as saying -

"They buy a cheap and cheerful phone that meets their requirements regardless of O/S"

Please pay careful attention to the BIB
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Oh I see and all these requirements are also cheap and cheerful too oddly enough!! so do these friends constitute 90% of all android buyers then by the way?

I assume all your apple buying mates buy because of all things appley don't they after careful consideration.

all time classic Apple thinking, you are without doubt a huge fanboy with fanboy views :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    you are without doubt a huge fanboy with fanboy views :D

And you are without doubt a huge Apple hater, with Apple hater views - at least I own an Android phone.

Had enough of this farcical thread, signing off at this point
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Must he really!!! show me where this is fantastic.

Even after showing you the post in black and white you continue to squirm, truly amazing and you talk about painful discussions.

Your unwillingness to admit apple have any failings now extends to it supporters too, so very sad :D

Well, he has just said so.

Given that he has confirmed what he meant, and that's how I interpreted it....

...might it be worth considering the possibility, however unlikely it might sound to you, that that is actually what he meant and you're the one who hasn't understood?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    And you are without doubt a huge Apple hater, with Apple hater views - at least I own an Android phone.

Had enough of this farcical thread, signing off at this point

I would think that well advised ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, he has just said so.

Given that he has confirmed what he meant, and that's how I interpreted it....

...might it be worth considering the possibility, however unlikely it might sound to you, that that is actually what he meant and you're the one who hasn't understood?

:D did he where was that exactly, you are the king of squirm you really are. He has tucked his tail between his legs, at least one of you knows when to quit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Um, post 102?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I see no mention of 90% or anything else, all I see is some reference to his dozens of android friends who buy cheap phones, some may be polite and call that a coincidence. That is nothing to do with his original post , probably why he scarpered and left you to continue posting your squirming nonsense posts.

Never mind I think it clear to all how you two as iphone users view things :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How we view things?

You mean having the perfectly reasonable view that when people buy a phone the consider many factors rather than simply the brand, or simply the OS?

Yeah - crazy.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    ... They will have bought it because it met a price point and functionality. Half of them won't even know it is Android.

You thus seem to be saying that most users don't even know those major differences in functionality.That functionality difference being unknown at purchase if they did not even know about the OS system.

Are most buyers as unknowing as your Android ones?
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    You thus seem to be saying that most users don't even know those major differences in functionality.That functionality difference being unknown at purchase if they did not even know about the OS system.

Are most buyers as unknowing as your Android ones?
    :)

That's just it - I'm not sure there are major differences in functionality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How we view things?
    You mean having the perfectly reasonable view that when people buy a phone the consider many factors rather than simply the brand, or simply the OS?
    Yeah - crazy.

yet are many many pages not one feature has been put forward as to why the iphone sells 30+ million handsets a quarter regardless of OS or brand. Oh except for over hyped worlds most popular camera

Crazy :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's just it - I'm not sure there are major differences in functionality.
    On functionality, with 4K recording becoming the norm will Apple have an SD slot or USB to properly cope with that storage conundrum?

Me, I'm happy to know the major differences in GPS, USB, the Web Browser, 2K screen versus less than 1K screen,tethering etc etc etc.

Sticking to the safer topic of 'smoothness' gets boring .
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On functionality, with 4K recording becoming the norm will Apple have an SD slot or USB to properly cope with that storage conundrum?

Me, I'm happy to know the major differences in GPS, USB, the Web Browser, 2K screen versus less than 1K screen,tethering etc etc etc.

Sticking to the safer topic of 'smoothness' gets boring .
    :rolleyes:

4K recording becoming the norm? Since when? A handful of phones released in the last few months, with a feature that virtually no-one will make use of is hardly "becoming the norm".

Isn't the GPS thing that weirdly specific thing you've mentioned before, that again has every little real world benefit.

What on earth are the major differences in web browser functionality?

I'd be willing to bet my house that most ordinary people use their phone for making calls, texting, taking photos, managing contacts and calendar, web browsing, listening to music, social media, playing games etc. and that the differences you mention are not the sorts of things most people would consider to be major differences in functionality, but very specific differences that would have very little bearing on buying choice for most people.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4K recording is going to become a thing. Apple will adopt it, so it's probably rather dangerous to write it off as something pointless simply because Apple hasn't done it yet.

People will want to record 4K video even before they've got a 4K TV so they have content ready, such as video of their children or an event. Thus it's great to have a device that can do it now. I'd use 4K for getting video of my son, and am fully aware that it consumes huge amounts of data (but luckily I can get a 128GB card for £99, which is plenty fast enough).

People can also play back 4K video on their device, even without 4K resolution because i lets you zoom in on areas. Perhaps rather less important, but still a feature that gives newer devices something 'new'.

Now whether someone would go out to buy a device with 4K recording is another matter, but once the TV industry starts to move these in large quantities (and that will either be this Christmas or next) then naturally the need to have hardware that can record 4K video will grow. The new Xperia Z2 also has 4K output too, so it can also be used as a way to deliver 4K content (like Netflix) to a 4K TV.

Question now is when Apple will join the party. And also when we'll see 8K recording.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...and that the differences you mention are not the sorts of things most people would consider to be major differences in functionality, but very specific differences that would have very little bearing on buying choice for most people.

That is the thing. There is no vive la différence, just a forever promotion of ignorance.
    It is quite sad as ignorance is usually only ever good for the manufacturer, not the consumer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    4K recording is going to become a thing. Apple will adopt it, so it's probably rather dangerous to write it off as something pointless simply because Apple hasn't done it yet.

People will want to record 4K video even before they've got a 4K TV so they have content ready, such as video of their children or an event. Thus it's great to have a device that can do it now. I'd use 4K for getting video of my son, and am fully aware that it consumes huge amounts of data (but luckily I can get a 128GB card for £99, which is plenty fast enough).

People can also play back 4K video on their device, even without 4K resolution because i lets you zoom in on areas. Perhaps rather less important, but still a feature that gives newer devices something 'new'.

Now whether someone would go out to buy a device with 4K recording is another matter, but once the TV industry starts to move these in large quantities (and that will either be this Christmas or next) then naturally the need to have hardware that can record 4K video will grow. The new Xperia Z2 also has 4K output too, so it can also be used as a way to deliver 4K content (like Netflix) to a 4K TV.

Question now is when Apple will join the party. And also when we'll see 8K recording.

I certainly didn't write it off as something pointless.

I just disagreed that, as of now, it is "becoming the norm".

I imagine, like HD, it will become the norm - but it is nowhere near that point now. 4K televisions have only just reached the point that might see them start to shift any numbers at all, and starting at £2-3k.

HD took a while to get going, and it was only one it got going to any degree that HD recording on phones became a worthwhile feature. 4K recording on phones is a long way from being a feature that would be an important consideration for an average person looking to get a new phone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is the thing. There is no vive la différence, just a forever promotion of ignorance.
    It is quite sad as ignorance is usually only ever good for the manufacturer, not the consumer.

Ignorance about what?

I'm not disputing there are differences, I'm disagreeing that they are major differences that are considered by the average consumer looking for a phone to make calls, text, listen to music, manage contacts and calendar, play games, use social media, watch video etc.

They are very specific differences, possibly not even that major, that would be important considerations for a minority, not the majority.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I certainly didn't write it off as something pointless.

I just disagreed that, as of now, it is "becoming the norm".

I imagine, like HD, it will become the norm - but it is nowhere near that point now. 4K televisions have only just reached the point that might see them start to shift any numbers at all, and starting at £2-3k.

HD took a while to get going, and it was only one it got going to any degree that HD recording on phones became a worthwhile feature. 4K recording on phones is a long way from being a feature that would be an important consideration for an average person looking to get a new phone.

Owning or having a 4k Tv is irrelevant, being able to record in the best possible format to future proof that recording now is not. Why would you not want to record a very important event in 4k now instead of HD, it will be in 4k still 10 years from now.

This is your problem, with statements like
    with a feature that virtually no-one will make use of
    you actually think if Apple haven't got it it can't be needed or that good. A total and utter ignorance of the possibilities and world beyong your Apple bubble.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Seems many companies are realising the importance of SD, HTC bringing it back by public demand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Owning or having a 4k Tv is irrelevant, being able to record in the best possible format to future proof that recording now is not. Why would you not want to record a very important event in 4k now instead of HD, it will be in 4k still 10 years from now.

you actually think if Apple haven't got it it can't be needed or that good. A total and utter ignorance of the possibilities and world beyong your Apple bubble.

No - what I think is that most regular people looking to get a new phone won't have 4K recording high on their list of priorities.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No - what I think is that most regular people looking to get a new phone won't have 4K recording high on their list of priorities.

Whilst obviously 4K undoubtedly will become the norm further down the line, I think its a stretch to say that it is becoming the norm now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You may think that you clearly have no idea whether that is true or not.

However you said it was something hardly anyone will use, why is this exactly other than the iPhone not having it.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Google are becoming more involved in this case which will make Apple uncomfortable as their war by proxy reveals itself in court.

The lawsuit between Apple and Samsung does not have Google's name attached to it, but that hasn't kept the company from being involved. Hiroshi Lockheimer, the company's current VP of engineering for Android took to the stand today to aid in Samsung's legal counter-battle against Apple, an effort that focused on the very beginnings of the mobile operating system.

Samsung is using Google in its case to help establish that many of the features in its phones — including some that are on trial here — were designed by Google and not Apple. That's part of Samsung's argument that Apple's gone after it to indirectly attack Google since it's the largest, and so far most successful Android hardware manufacturer.

Samsung also relied on Lockheimer to pick apart some of Apple's claims, including that there was any value in its patented features. One of those features is universal search patent, which lets users search both locally on phones, as well as the internet at the same time.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/11/5606024/Top-Google-Android-lieutenant-comes-to-Samsungs-defense-against-Apple