Options

The Leona Lewis Appreciation Thread (Part 60)

Comments

• Options
    StubeStube Posts: 16,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I knew from the moment I saw its title that 'Ladders' would be amazing. It'd work as a single definitely. I also hear the 'Latch' comparisons. Not a bad thing at all.
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ItsBrooke wrote: »
    Well i picked awful few days to have a break didn't i? but I'M BACK not letting nobody keep me away from this thread at times like this!

First of all, Not fussed on the deluxe cover, I like the picture but the way "I Am" is just chilling in her hair is abit meh (No death threats on twitter again please just my opinion) but that said i dont really care about cares its about the songs on the album just saying i like the standard verison cover more.

Right now the snippets, I AM SLAYED! I think "Power" is my favourite at the moment but thats because of them notes oh my! :cry:

WELCOME BACK

You picked a perfect time to come back <3
  • Options
    AlfonsoJuanesAlfonsoJuanes Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    244 I Am Deluxe on Spain iTunes in 36 minutes 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻
  • Options
    ItsBrookeItsBrooke Posts: 2,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CrazyLoop wrote: »
    WELCOME BACK

You picked a perfect time to come back <3

Thanks lovely, I have missed you lot on here :cry:
  • Options
    EnvoirmentEnvoirment Posts: 9,486
    Forum Member
    244 I Am Deluxe on Spain iTunes in 36 minutes 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻

Woo Spain better stan. Wonder how it's going to do in Portugal? Get to #1 on their iTunes album chart maybe? :cry::p
  • Options
    VirtuosoVirtuoso Posts: 1,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the tracks are really well structured. They are all so, so, so much better than FUMF. I know people on here love it and I don't hate it at all. I think it's good but just not got great melodies whereas all of these sound brilliant. Maybe FUMF was a dry run. Literally everything else (excepting EOM, for me personally) has been incredibly immediate and catchy. This is such a good album so far.

Thoughts on them:

I Am = As others have mentioned, similar to Heaven by Emeli Sande and some of the vocals are very Sande-esque. But to me a lot better than Heaven. Genuinely well-thought out signature vocals. Every bit of it is recognisable. For the first time, great character in the vocal
    Thunder = Again similar to something in the way of Stay With Me but definitely stands on its own. I would prefer it to not be released but I can understand the motivation with the vocal. I think it will be her comeback song in the US, not necessarily released here.
    Ladder = Does sound like Latch by Disclosure. But it does sound like a classic. It's the Shake You Up of the album. Great quality production on it for definite.
    Power = A very big soundscape altogether and has that earthy vibe, which I have to say is working well on the album. Great vocals but I have to say it's not my sort of vibe

What I'm really glad to say is that it's hard to pick a favourite. I think I Am has the best not for the big notes but the character conveyed in it. The key of the song work really well for her voice. I know it's early to say but, best album so far? I think it will be by quite a stretch. It sounds so much more genuine. It makes me think FUMF didn't actually introduce the character of this album because so far it sounds like the one with the least character.
  • Options
    VirtuosoVirtuoso Posts: 1,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I literally have no idea how to function right now. Like seriously I'm at a loss for words. Just what. How? Why? I can't.

The one that clicked for me instantly was Thunder. They made an AMAZING decision of making it (possibly) lead single in the US. The chorus is extremely catchy, the melody is amazing, and it's different to what's in the Top 50 right now but it has similarities to SWM so it's not too different to be ignored. I'm ready for it's slayage.

The vocals and lyrics on power are just simply stunning. Ladders sounds really good and super easy to listen too and I can't wait to hear the rest! I Am is super emotional and I can definitely see it working well as a single too, although it didn't click right away for me.

I am honestly shocked by how amazing this album is. Get ready guys, the I Am era is coming like a freight train to slay us all :D

The "I'm coming back with a thunder" sounds great. Great melody, great mix with the backing vocals. Really sounds excellent.
  • Options
    Tiago.Tiago. Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Envoirment wrote: »
    Woo Spain better stan. Wonder how it's going to do in Portugal? Get to #1 on their iTunes album chart maybe? :cry::p

7# right now. Let´s see tomorrow^^
  • Options
    adamw92adamw92 Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the snippets, I think my favourite tracks based on them are Thunder and Power. Those notes on the Power snippet are just heaven! I love it but I think Thunder just really clicked with me, I can see it becoming possibly my fave track off the album.
  • Options
    saxman25osaxman25o Posts: 3,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ItsBrooke wrote: »
    Well i picked awful few days to have a break didn't i? but I'M BACK not letting nobody keep me away from this thread at times like this!

First of all, Not fussed on the deluxe cover, I like the picture but the way "I Am" is just chilling in her hair is abit meh (No death threats on twitter again please just my opinion) but that said i dont really care about cares its about the songs on the album just saying i like the standard verison cover more.

Right now the snippets, I AM SLAYED! I think "Power" is my favourite at the moment but thats because of them notes oh my! :cry:

welcome back ! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay so I just listened to the snippet video for the third time. This is going to be one critically adored album! I'm trying to take off my fan glasses for a second and give an honest and unbiased opinion of the snippets. The vocals are insane! 'I Am' sounds like a real hit. It has that trip-hop instrumental. I get the Emeli comparisons. I also echo the comments about the raw emotion in her vocal delivery. 'Thunder' is a surprising choice for the next single but I can see why the label chose it. It's very instant and it does have that 'Stay With Me' instrumental. 'Ladders' is just amazing! In my opinion it is an obvious single. I notice a few on here say it's similar to 'Latch' and, again, I can see it. But that can only be an amazing thing since 'Latch' is a phenomenal song. I hope it is a single at some point. It has "hit" written all over it. To be honest I would've gone for 'Ladders' as the US lead single. It has such an earworm of a chorus. 'Power' has a 'Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart' vibe about it. Those vocals are insane!! I can see Leona getting incredible praise for the vocals on this track alone. All in all, this is shaping up to be Leona's best album yet and with Echo in her back catalogue, that is a REAL achievement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've tried to get all of the lyrics from the snippets. The ones underlined I'm unsure of.

I Am

I thought the moment I was leaving
    Barely breathing, Fall to pieces
    I couldn't face it
    Why would I believe it?
    I believed in you and me against the world

I am free without you
    I am stronger without you
    I thought I'd never rise again but i am
    I am

Thunder

And I won't wait any longer
    When you left me down I got stronger
    I'm on the horizon
    I'm coming back with the thunder

Ladders

Down here in the trenches
    I know what I'm fighting for
    Come back to my senses
    I'm ready for something more

I fall back down but I'm looking up
    Each heart breaks up the ladder
    You're there to lift me, help me up
    Higher
    Each heart breaks up the ladder
    You're there to lift me, help me up
    Higher

Power

Take a deep breath, I'm jumping in
    This where you end and I begin
    See the world through a kaleidoscope
    I am the one I've been waiting for (I've been waiting for)

I've got the power (power)
    I feel the power (power)

I have to say I am loving the lyrics! Leona is such a talented songwriter. Queen of diction as always btw. :D
  • Options
    GreekFanGreekFan Posts: 6,203
    Forum Member
    My ranking right now:

1. I am
    2. Fire Under My Feet
    3. Ladders
    4. I Got You
    5. Power
    6. Thunder
    7. Another Love Song

I have a feeling that You knew me well is going to top this list soon though ( even if this will be hard because I am sounds incredible )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why didnt they give us a preview of You knew me well? :(
    Oh my God I hope it will be as huge as I imagine it.
    Maybe they are going to remind people that Leona is still around with FUMF, Thunder and I am and then bring out the Diane Warren's nuclear bomb and own the world
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'I am' has some magic about it, especially in the chorus and gets better on each listen. Perhaps this will be a new 'trip hop' standard.

Hope they release this as a single as I think it could be the 'dark horse' hit from the album, at least in the UK.
  • Options
    siwelanoelsiwelanoel Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GreekFan wrote: »
    Why didnt they give us a preview of You knew me well? :(
    Oh my God I hope it will be as huge as I imagine it.
    Maybe they are going to remind people that Leona is still around with FUMF, Thunder and I am and then bring out the Diane Warren's nuclear bomb and own the world
    :confused: Am I the only person not so excited over the track?? I feel like DW always hypes up her music and then it becomes way overhyped. All of her recent releases have been mediocre IMO.
    Hope this one's an exception though!
  • Options
    Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stube wrote: »
    I've tried to get all of the lyrics from the snippets. The ones underlined I'm unsure of.

I Am

I thought the moment I was leaving
    Barely breathing, Fall to pieces
    I couldn't face this
    Why would I believe it?
    I was believing its you and me against the world

I am free without you
    I am stronger without you
    I thought I would never rise again but i am
    I am

Thunder

And I won't wait any longer
    When you left me down I got stronger
    If you want it, if I want it (like a bullet.....)
    I'm on the horizon
    I'm coming back with the thunder

Ladders

Down here in the trenches
    I know what I'm fighting for
    Come back to my senses
    I'm ready for something more

Each rung breaks up the ladder
    You're there to lift me, hold me up
    Higher
    Each rung breaks up the ladder
    You're there to lift me, hold me up
    Higher

Power

Take a deep breath, I'm jumping in
    This where you end and I begin
    See the world through a kaleidoscope
    I am the one I've been waiting for (I've been waiting for)

I've got the power (power)
    I feel the power (power)

I have to say I am loving the lyrics! Leona is such a talented songwriter. Queen of diction as always btw. :D

I made some changes, I put them in bold, that is what I hear from it.

Thunder is really hard to hear and I am not convinced the lyrics I hear are correct.

Ladders, I feel like she is saying something after 'break' but I don't know what.

Edit: I am also not sure about the 'hold/help me up' lyric, I can't work it out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    siwelanoel wrote: »
    :confused: Am I the only person not so excited over the track?? I feel like DW always hypes up her music and then it becomes way overhyped. All of her recent releases have been mediocre IMO.
    Hope this one's an exception though!

Well I loved I am but I found the other tracks ok. Vocals are amazing and the production sounds decent but only I am hits me, nothing else sounds like a hit to me (just very good, solid album tracks). Thats why I hope You knew me well is going to be spectacular.
    Diane co-wrote My time ( UK's best Eurovision score in recent history ) and she wrote Only love can hurt like this which I adore so I have faith in her!
  • Options
    siwelanoelsiwelanoel Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://dailyrindblog.com/newsletter/physreleaseschedule/onesheets/2015%20Sheets/7.10/Poet_AFallToRise_OneSheet2.pdf

Details about "Catch Me When I Fall." According to this, the whole album will be out July 10th. So maybe the song itself is getting the actual single release in September??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I posted these a few days ago because I randomly came across them again, but the first and last snippets on this video sound like they would fit perfectly on this album or is it just me?

I can't remember the first ones name, but the last one was called Heart Wreck I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OvcytOq-zc&feature=youtu.be
  • Options
    BenFriendBenFriend Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    POET ‏@poetnamelife 15m15 minutes ago

@leonafanclub love u guys, a teaser tonight! I think this song and yes Leona are so beautiful;did about 20 diff versions and 3d print art ..
    We may hear a snippet tonight!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    siwelanoel wrote: »
    http://dailyrindblog.com/newsletter/physreleaseschedule/onesheets/2015%20Sheets/7.10/Poet_AFallToRise_OneSheet2.pdf

Details about "Catch Me When I Fall." According to this, the whole album will be out July 10th. So maybe the song itself is getting the actual single release in September??

Interesting, that must mean the snippet she recorded last week isn't for this album as some people thought, as that wouldn't be enough time to record vocals and get the song completed surely?

Soe do you know for definite if this song is the collab she recorded last week?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BenFriend wrote: »
    We may hear a snippet tonight!!!

Exciting, hopefully he does put it online soon and doesn't change his mind.
This discussion has been closed.