Options

Birmingham - why does it exist?

Comments

• Options
    ArtfulDodger81ArtfulDodger81 Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ben_Caesar wrote: »
    No, it's still very much a 'Birmingham bashing thread' if you want to call it that. I've called out everything I've disliked about the city from its architecture (Prince Charles once ripped into the old Central Library. Maybe he should do the same to the new one lol) to its jihadists who've settled there. Remember the Trojan Horse plot to introduce extremist Islamic teachings in schools? That was in Birmingham. There's a big extremist problem in Birmingham considering how many terror cases often revolve around Muslims in Birmingham. All the while that majority 'peaceful' Brummie Muslims (and Muslims in general) play the victim card. They immediately did this when the Trojan plot came to light in predictable fashion.

So it is a Muslim bashing thread
  • Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kind of lost interest in this when it became a racist thread, however this may interest people from the Birmingham Post

http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/news/regional-affairs/birmingham-named-fourth-most-prosperous-9941581?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,586
    Forum Member
    So it is a Muslim bashing thread

Yeah ... unpleasant stuff. Probably best just to ignore the hardline Muslim bashers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben_Caesar wrote: »
    A city of over 1 million people, Britain's second biggest city by population. With a city that big, what does it have to offer? Their two most 'famous' exports other than their crappy football clubs are Ozzy Osbourne and Jasper Carrot. That's EMBARASSING for a city that big. Everyone rightly mocks their silly accent and the place has become a multi-culty hell hole.

I wouldn't say it's the Detroit of Britain but it's not a particularly good place either. It's just a mediocre city. And there's nothing in life that irritates me more than mediocrity.

Cities in the UK that are smaller than Birmingham like Manchester, Leeds, Edinburgh, Newcastle and Liverpool all punch above their weight. Birmingham produces nothing of real relevance. And especially compared to other global cities of a similar size like Barcelona, Calgary and Adelaide, Birmingham is pitiful ^_^

You obviously have never been to the dosshouse called London
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ecckles wrote: »

Which London is that? Can't be the English one.
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member

Wimbledon Village is lovely , it can be quite snobbish in parts but I would prefer that then having chavs surrounding me .
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hate it. I've been there quite a few times, for work purposes and also to visit friends. I find it as dull as dishwater. It feels very industrial and there's just no atmosphere. The Bull Ring and shopping areas I don't think are anything special...I mean they're nice, but London and Manchester have shopping centres just as good. I don't think Birmingham has any redeeming features.

BIB...That's just silly.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kind of lost interest in this when it became a racist thread, however this may interest people from the Birmingham Post

http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/news/regional-affairs/birmingham-named-fourth-most-prosperous-9941581?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Meh. They are probably all muslims. Damned hardworking muslims putting us lazy English to shame :D
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    Except that he did (or at least his sources did).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-30773297

Not so much if it stands between your office and the train station. Just when I thought Paradise Forum was as bad as it could get along came the bloody German Market. I sometimes felt like I should have a siren strapped to my head along with a sign saying 'I'm a commuter. Shift yer arse or get walked over"

Thankfully soon after I switched to a different train station and could commute along a nice quiet canal path.

I do feel your pain, I live in Stratford Upon Avon so I deal with a lot of slow moving tourists. It has made me more aware of my own movements when out, I try to stay out of the way
  • Options
    Ben_CaesarBen_Caesar Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    DianaFire wrote: »
    Really? Because your post is 118 words long. A colossal 81 of them are bashing Muslims.

I think the posters who suggested this may have been the plan all along were right. I'll leave you to it.

I'm bashing a city that just so happens to have a gigantic Muslim population. I've ripped the city to shreds from a lot of angles including the multi-cultural takeover of Birmingham. It's not my fault you can't be bothered to just go a few pages back to see what I don't like about the city.

This is a 'racist' thread is it? Please explain because I didn't think muslims were a 'race'. I just have no sympathy for anyone following such a barbaric, backward and quite frankly evil religion. Especially when they come to this country and ignore all the freedoms we offer as well as us having a proud history in scientific discoveries, engineering and technology. It has nothing to do with anyone's skin colour.

I live in London. I have a love/hate relationship with the city. It's turning into a multi-cultural nightmare, probably the biggest of its kind in Europe already. But the history of London kind of counters that problem. I mean I often spend hours and hours in the city's art galleries and museums. Plus I live in one of the better parts of London and thankfully not in some grotty East London backwater.
  • Options
    Peter_BlondePeter_Blonde Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    Its funny how when someone mocks scousers on here it is banter, when someone highlights the muslim population of Birmingham it is racist muslim bashing.

What an F'ed up country this is.
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    Its funny how when someone mocks scousers on here it is banter, when someone highlights the muslim population of Birmingham it is racist muslim bashing.

What an F'ed up country this is.
    Actually that is a very good point.

Even when we're talking about actual jihadists, other posters are proclaiming that is "muslim bashing"......

I don't understand that.

I understand that there are people who don't like muslims and who will see the worst in them as there are people who only want to see the best in them, but I thought everyone would agree with each other when it comes to actual extremists?!

But no, when the OP was talking about the fact that there have been terror cases revolving around Birmingham muslims, and talking about the very real extremist problem, he straight away gets condemned for muslim bashing!

He gets condemned for condemning muslims that want to cause terror in this country!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think he used a far right website to get his facts from memory.
    Yes there are muslims birmingham hence there being a few faith schools, the schools you mention were not faith schools.

The way you worded your penultimate paragraph in my opinion shows you class Birmingham as a hell hole due to muslims...I think Birmingham is fantastic and the muslims have a huge part to play in that.
    If i had to move to any part of England in the near future, then I probably wouldn't choose Birmingham. Basically because i wouldn't voluntarily move to somewhere that is so well known for being very multicultural. I don't think I would like to live in a city with such large numbers of muslims.

I can't say it is a hell hole or would be a hell hole for me to live there, as I've no experience of living there, I can only say that it would put me off knowing already that in some pockets of the city I could be in the minority.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cas1977 wrote: »
    Actually that is a very good point.

Even when we're talking about actual jihadists, other posters are proclaiming that is "muslim bashing"......

I don't understand that.

I understand that there are people who don't like muslims and who will see the worst in them as there are people who only want to see the best in them, but I thought everyone would agree with each other when it comes to actual extremists?!

But no, when the OP was talking about the fact that there have been terror cases revolving around Birmingham muslims, and talking about the very real extremist problem, he straight away gets condemned for muslim bashing!

He gets condemned for condemning muslims that want to cause terror in this country!

No, he was condemned for bringing the subject of Islamist extremism into a unrelated thread. The extremists he was talking about were actually from Leeds IIRC!
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If i had to move to any part of England in the near future, then I probably wouldn't choose Birmingham. Basically because i wouldn't voluntarily move to somewhere that is so well known for being very multicultural. I don't think I would like to live in a city with such large numbers of muslims.
    That is a sad indictment of you, not the city. Your 'cultural intolerance' not only stems from an obsolete, primitive instinct it also goes against British history. We are a mixed race. Always have been. It's what's made us who we are. You are the 'foreigner' here. A true Briton embraces other cultures and learns from them. We incorporate the bits we like into our own culture and we are stronger as a result.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/aug/10/multiculturalism-uk-research
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    That is a sad indictment of you, not the city. Your 'cultural intolerance' not only stems from an obsolete, primitive instinct it also goes against British history. We are a mixed race. Always have been. It's what's made us who we are. You are the 'foreigner' here. A true Briton embraces other cultures and learns from them. We incorporate the bits we like into our own culture and we are stronger as a result.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/aug/10/multiculturalism-uk-research
    You're entitled to your opinion, although I imagine it's unnecessary for me to add that I disagree with you most strongly.

You don't have to "embrace" multiculturalism 100 percent in order to prove how british you are.

I don't think I've said anything bad when I declare that I'd rather be in the majority of where i'm living than the minority.

And yes I'm intolerant to certain parts of the religion Islam that I've read about so far.

I take it that when we're talking about multiculturalism we're actually in fact talking about muslims? And if so, why do you feel the need to defend such a religion like that? Or, is there anything good about that religion that should be defended? :confused::confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    No, he was condemned for bringing the subject of Islamist extremism into a unrelated thread. The extremists he was talking about were actually from Leeds IIRC!
    omg.........there are extremists in Leeds now as well as in Birmingham! :o Let's now start a thread on Leeds. You'll have to go first.

The only thing I know is that Emmerdale is filmed somewhere around there.....:cool:
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,856
    Forum Member
    You're entitled to your opinion, although I imagine it's unnecessary for me to add that I disagree with you most strongly.

You don't have to "embrace" multiculturalism 100 percent in order to prove how british you are.

I don't think I've said anything bad when I declare that I'd rather be in the majority of where i'm living than the minority.

And yes I'm intolerant to certain parts of the religion Islam that I've read about so far.

I take it that when we're talking about multiculturalism we're actually in fact talking about muslims? And if so, why do you feel the need to defend such a religion like that? Or, is there anything good about that religion that should be defended? :confused::confused:

Gosh yes. ( I knew I shouldn't have clicked this thread again. :D)

I have a different word for Muslims, I call them people. In most cases British Muslims and no doubt Muslims around the world are decent, honest, kind and law abiding people. Many you wouldn't even know were Muslims. They go about their business just like anyone else and most are horrified by the atrocities being perpetrated in their names.

Even their religion is not so alien. It is a religion in the Abrahamic tradition and is not so very far away in many aspects to Christianity and Judaism. It stresses virtues such as honesty, hospitality, charity and so much more.

I suspect the burden of what is currently happening with a tiny minority of hot headed, usually young, usually ignorant or misunderstanding radicals weighs far more heavily on the average Muslim than it does on anyone else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gosh yes. ( I knew I shouldn't have clicked this thread again. :D)

I have a different word for Muslims, I call them people. In most cases British Muslims and no doubt Muslims around the world are decent, honest, kind and law abiding people. Many you wouldn't even know were Muslims. They go about their business just like anyone else and most are horrified by the atrocities being perpetrated in their names.

Even their religion is not so alien. It is a religion in the Abrahamic tradition and is not so very far away in many aspects to Christianity and Judaism. It stresses virtues such as honesty, hospitality, charity and so much more.

I suspect the burden of what is currently happening with a tiny minority of hot headed, usually young, usually ignorant or misunderstanding radicals weighs far more heavily on the average Muslim than it does on anyone else.

I agree in part with some of your post, although not with the religion part. Although I'm not an authority on Islam, so I couldn't really argue my point, I can only talk about the things I read in the papers.

And of course, they tend to be the bad stuff, as generally that is what gets talked about first and foremost.

There are generally things happening in England right now and in recent years that I see on the news and read in the papers that are all muslim related and it's those things that make me certain I wouldn't want to live in a heavily dense multicultural city.

That might be perceived as me lumping them all in together, although it's nearer the case of just not wanting to be living as the minority.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree in part with some of your post, although not with the religion part. Although I'm not an authority on Islam, so I couldn't really argue my point, I can only talk about the things I read in the papers.

And of course, they tend to be the bad stuff, as generally that is what gets talked about first and foremost.

There are generally things happening in England right now and in recent years that I see on the news and read in the papers that are all muslim related and it's those things that make me certain I wouldn't want to live in a heavily dense multicultural city.

That might be perceived as me lumping them all in together, although it's nearer the case of just not wanting to be living as the minority.

Though as a non-Muslim, you wouldn't be the minority in Brum!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    Though as a non-Muslim, you wouldn't be the minority in Brum!

Well I'm glad about that.....

But then to be fair, it is true isn't it, that there are so called "pockets" of muslim majority places? Or is that an exaggeration? Also what is with the patrols I'm reading about as well.....the so called muslim patrols where they try to pólice the streets? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member

Don't you live in Spain Cas? Aren't you a minority there?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well I'm glad about that.....

But then to be fair, it is true isn't it, that there are so called "pockets" of muslim majority places? Or is that an exaggeration? Also what is with the patrols I'm reading about as well.....the so called muslim patrols where they try to pólice the streets? :confused:

Good grief! :o What are you reading over there? Like all cities districts differ and some reflect a higher density of people from some places than others. So there are richer areas. poorer areas, areas with more Asian people than others, areas with more Afro Caribbeans than others. One of the richest areas in Birmingham is Edgbaston where houses sell for upwards of a million.It has plenty of Asian people. It also has plenty of doctors on account of the hospital being in Edgbaston .I expect some of these Asians will be Muslim and doctors. But you can't tell by looking.

As for vigilante patrols .. :o:confused::o:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't you live in Spain Cas? Aren't you a minority there?
    That is an excellent point......and one where I'm struggling to come back with an answer for you....:blush:

Although you're most definitely right, I really don't feel like I'm in the minority here. I used to, not just feel a minority, but a definite outsider, but then that was in a complete spanish inland town, whereas where i live now is on the coast, and because we're mostly all western europeans, apart from some obvious different traits etc in the nationalities, noone really stands out, apart from when they're wearing socks with sandals, but that is for another thread......

There are muslims here, couldn't say how many, I tend to only see them in the street markets etc.

And this is the truth, a few weeks ago, was the first time in a long while I saw a family of muslim women all completely dressed head to foot in black just with their eyes showing and they were in the supermarket and so was I.......and it really really felt odd to me, they stood out very obviously but not in a good way, it wasn't a good feeling at all, and with the best will in the world I really can't see how that type of muslim would ever have the desire to integrate etc and acknowledge they're living in a western country....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good grief! :o What are you reading over there? Like all cities districts differ and some reflect a higher density of people from some places than others. So there are richer areas. poorer areas, areas with more Asian people than others, areas with more Afro Caribbeans than others. One of the richest areas in Birmingham is Edgbaston where houses sell for upwards of a million.It has plenty of Asian people. It also has plenty of doctors on account of the hospital being in Edgbaston .I expect some of these Asians will be Muslim and doctors. But you can't tell by looking.

As for vigilante patrols .. :o:confused::o:confused:

I get all my reliable sources of information from YouTube thank you very much. :cool::cool: