Options

James Corden and Sir Patrick Stewart in on-stage spat

Comments

• Options
    DeeLushDeeLush Posts: 2,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, my point is so many people, upon seeing stuff like this, just go on to slag off as much of his character as they can without even knowing him 'oh, he's hideous, he's fat, he's talentless' etc. My ONE point was that it is pathetic to do this. I'm not picking apart bits of everyone's character and saying horrible personal things to specific people, you're probably quite nice in the real world, I'm just saying to come online and make such personal comments for no reason is downright rude and immature.

Excuse me?

I havent made ANY COMMENTS of the type youre calling rude and immature if you meant others cool, but state others when you use YOU it implies ME, and i have done no such thing thanks :)
  • Options
    BritishHoboBritishHobo Posts: 2,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's funny- James Corden was humilated in front of thousands by an aging, arrogant prick and yet he's still getting abuse on here

I think he showed great dignity and I was actually appalled at what took place

Exactly. He looked really annoyed that Patrick Stewart was being so rude and embarassing. I mean, how would these people have reacted? You'd be pretty taken aback to have that happen in front of so many people, and it'd be quite difficult to think up some gold standard quip right there. Who cares who's more of a 'legend'? That was downright rude of Patrick Stewart and I hope he's ashamed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DeeLush wrote: »
    Excuse me?

I havent made ANY COMMENTS of the type youre calling rude and immature if you meant others cool, but state others when you use YOU it implies ME, and i have done no such thing thanks :)

Oh sorry, I should have made it clearer I guess. When I said 'you're' I meant to everyone in here who was making rude comments. Sorry for any confusion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    A really quick witted comedian would have made a brief apology if he had unintentionally offended such reknown actor, and televisual Icon, and then said how honoured he was to be sharing a stage with a man like Bill Shatner.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Ive read most of this thread, admittedly not all as its late and im pretty tired :D

I actually had some hmmmm thoughts about JC lately from this article...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/2995390/Mathew-Horne-James-Corden-hasnt-got-time-for-me.html

I know Its the Sun and not particularily reliable, but I found the comment about JC's motivations and ambitions to be very interesting.

Sir Patrick Stewart is the Chancellor of my university, and knowing the work he does for us academically I found JC's attitude disrespectful and just fu**ing rude tbh. I dont care if he is the funniest person to ever exist (which I dont think he is, and god I hope Jimmy Carr tears him a new one for this at the next available opportunity), but he reacted very badly to a lighthearted joke, and made it into a difficulkt situation. It was very clear that JC was angry and that sir Patrick Stewart didnt mean to offend JC personally.

JC is a tosser and I hope he chokes and burns in the industry for this.
  • Options
    abercrombieabercrombie Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only ever seen James Corden on the Jonathan Ross show.
  • Options
    XadXad Posts: 1,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's what I saw:

Corden is pretending to be bored and uninterested in the background while Stewart is supposed to have the audience's attention.

Stewart isn't sure why the audience are laughing. Turns, sees Corden is doing stuff behind his back.

Stewart makes ill-judged, personal joke that falls completely flat. Maybe in retaliation or maybe he was light-heartedly (and clumsily) giving Corden a taste of his own medicine. Who knows. Some laugh. The mood is half light, half confused at this point.

Corden then aggressively squares up to Stewart with his own 'joke', which is intended to isolate Stewart in the position of ridiculed outsider to Corden and the audience. The mood is now dark.

Silence. Stewart, still composed but possibly embarrassed by now and stuck for what to do next, tries to get the upper hand with another riposte. Can't think of any. Makes bizarre and unfunny Jonas brothers quip. Mood now dead.

Some arse heckles "get on with it". Clip over.

Six of one and half a dozen of the other based on the evidence. Corden started it. Stewart carried it on. Corden made it even worse. Stewart tried to lighten it again. Corden wouldn't let it lie long after Stewart left the stage.

So in summary, and given that for me Corden generally oozes arrogance while Stewart seems thoroughly likeable, I'm going to find in favour of Stewart.
    Good analysis; i agree!

Also, another vid which shows what happened just before:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIBUWqSTp90

Seems like James was standing behind people at acting disrespectfully in PS eyes, when he calls Corden out on it, well, Corden's very disrespectful he pretty much says "just f**king get on with it", literally in front of a packed audience.

Honestly, i never really understood the hate towards Corden before, but after this incident i'm jumping on the i hate corden bandwagon :D

A real, talented comedian could have handled the situation 100 times better, like when Geldof called Russell Brand a c**t, Russell's comeback was quick, piercing and f'ing hilarious and he didn't have to use a single foul word right in an old man's face :D (and PS's comments are trivial compared to that of Geldof's)
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corden - utterly talentless (owes all his fame to Ruth Jones) unfunny slob.
    Stewart - legend who's not used to having to deal with such rude muppets.
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never understood what anyone finds funny in Corden. It really baffles me. :confused:

Agreed. He's just a loudmouth yob, hopefully at 14m59s of his 15m00s of fame.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Xad wrote: »
    Good analysis; i agree!

Also, another vid which shows what happened just before:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIBUWqSTp90

Seems like James was standing behind people at acting disrespectfully in PS eyes, when he calls Corden out on it, well, Corden's very disrespectful he pretty much says "just f**king get on with it", literally in front of a packed audience.

Honestly, i never really understood the hate towards Corden before, but after this incident i'm jumping on the i hate corden bandwagon :D

A real, talented comedian could have handled the situation 100 times better, like when Geldof called Russell Brand a c**t, Russell's comeback was quick, piercing and f'ing hilarious and he didn't have to use a single foul word right in an old man's face :D (and PS's comments are trivial compared to that of Geldof's)

i couldnt agree with you more.

Cames Jordans ego totally superceedes any actual glimmer of talent he may have. Knowing how much respect Sir Patrick commands though, I really doubt this is gonna do anything good for big boobs' career.
  • Options
    barkleybarkley Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    imnotjesus wrote: »
    I actually had some hmmmm thoughts about JC lately from this article...
    I know Its the Sun and not particularily reliable, but I found the comment about JC's motivations and ambitions to be very interesting.

I wouldn't wipe my arse on The Scum let alone believe the cack they write, so using that as a source for anything but shite is a joke.

Judging by the tape I'm guessing PS has either got early onset of Alzheimers, or his knighthood has gone to his wee baldy little head, or he's just always been a self-important stuck-up little tw at and it's only just coming out now.
  • Options
    ChwastChwast Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    barkley wrote: »
    I wouldn't wipe my arse on The Scum let alone believe the cack they write, so using that as a source for anything but shite is a joke.

Judging by the tape I'm guessing PS has either got early onset of Alzheimers, or his knighthood has gone to his wee baldy little head, or he's just always been a self-important stuck-up little tw at and it's only just coming out now.

probably a combo of all three, plus not being able to handle his booze or other substances. agree with you about the "Scum".
  • Options
    superboysuperboy Posts: 4,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe Corden actually tried to square up to Patrick Stewart :| square up!!!! The sooner this overweight annoyance is off our screens the better, what I find even more annoying is him masquerading in all these football related shows -I think I'll kill myself the next time I see his manboobs bouncing up and down as he runs around in an England kit
  • Options
    Forum Member
    superboy wrote: »
    I think I'll kill myself the next time I see his manboobs bouncing up and down as he runs around in an England kit

really? what a f*ckin tragedy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chwast wrote: »
    really? what a f*ckin tragedy.

Wow I'm so impressed, please teach me how to be fool that can't get his point across without swearing either - PLEEEASE!! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    barkleybarkley Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    I think I'll kill myself the next time I see his manboobs bouncing up and down as he runs around in an England kit

Yeah well, don't let us stop you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah well, don't let us stop you.

how original, that almost makes James Corden sound funny
  • Options
    hallamhallam Posts: 437
    Forum Member

The Alzheimers thing is bullshit, he seems drunk, but his whole attitude is just rude and offensive from what I can see, no attempt at humour there at all, totally out of order. I think Corden showed alot of restraint actually, I'd have decked the idiot if he'd come out with that stuff at me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,168
    Forum Member
    hallam wrote: »
    The Alzheimers thing is bullshit, he seems drunk, but his whole attitude is just rude and offensive from what I can see, no attempt at humour there at all, totally out of order. I think Corden showed alot of restraint actually, I'd have decked the idiot if he'd come out with that stuff at me.

I think PS showed restaint.

If I had to sit through these tedious award shows, with a buffoon like Cordon for "entertainment", I would have flipped.
  • Options
    brodybrody Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    It's surprising really. PS comes across as a pompous arrogant dick. I honestly never imagined he was like that. Ignorant old coot.
    Just because you're made a "Sir" doesn't mean you're better than everybody else.
  • Options
    CarlosVelaCarlosVela Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brody wrote: »
    It's surprising really. PS comes across as a pompous arrogant dick. I honestly never imagined he was like that. Ignorant old coot.
    Just because you're made a "Sir" doesn't mean you're better than everybody else.

It certainly makes him better than James "I WAS IN GAVIN AND STACEY AND I'M MATES WITH JAMIE REDKNAPP AND DIZZEE RASCAL" Corden

Corden is a fat mess
  • Options
    kpmfankpmfan Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    brody wrote: »

Indeed. PS looks like a bit of a pillock over this. Too much booze and a superiority complex. Never a happy combination.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CarlosVela wrote: »
    It certainly makes him better than James "I WAS IN GAVIN AND STACEY AND I'M MATES WITH JAMIE REDKNAPP AND DIZZEE RASCAL" Corden

so because someone's got a knighthood you think that makes them a better person? how very Daily Mail of you.
  • Options
    LucaLuca Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the clip of their cringeworthy disagreement and I thought neither of them came out with too much credit for differing reasons.

In Patrick Stewart's case, I felt he should have not got involved in the first place, realised the kind of vacuous do he was it, presented the wretched award for God knows what to the simpering luvvie who was expecting it, taken his no doubt large fee and aired his contempt for Corden's truculent manner in private.

As for Corden, his reaction to Stewart's verbal provocation was bordering on the threatening with his school playground bullyesque eyeballing of what is a man aged nearly 70, egged on by his very large gang (err...sorry, the audience). It was during that particular moment (the gross invasion of Stewart's personal space by Corden) that I hoped and I prayed Stewart would stick one on him and leave him sprawling and red-faced on the floor.

Anyone observing the scene in more depth could see the fear in Corden's eyes after Patrick Stewart had showed him that even after his foul-mouthed, in-yer-face routine he was still prepared to stand his ground and say his piece. Corden tried to mask it, but it was there to see. I didn't see that same fear in Stewart.

As I said at the beginning, both of them came out badly from this. Stewart for starting the thing originally, then by making personal remarks to Corden about his weight, and Corden for behaving like Gripper Stebson from Grange Hill and in particular for his use of foul language (the refuge of the witless) after Stewart had dared to lecture him about what he saw as his dismissive body language throughout the night. Overall, they should both be ashamed of themselves for what happened.

People say Corden has no talent and make jokes about his weight. Well, he's not my cup of tea, and I think his kind of comedic style/yobbish behaviour would have got him absolutely nowhere thirty or so years ago, but he's clearly popular with younger audiences of today, so you can't just dismiss him an overweight, talentless, arrogant windbag as his detractors seem to want to do, as there is clearly a very well paid market for the likes of Corden at present and much less of Jean-Luc Picard on the telly these days. Equally, though, you wonder whether James Corden will have a fifty year career in show business like Stewart has achieved. Personally, I very much doubt it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow I'm so impressed, please teach me how to be fool that can't get his point across without swearing either - PLEEEASE!! :rolleyes:

Yeah, s'alright to be rude and abusive so long as you don't swear, innit? You can mock James Corden's weight, and Patrick Stewart can be bloody rude in front of hundred of people, but s'long as you don't so the f word (god forbid :eek:) you're the politest guys around, aren't you?