Options

Panorama: Jimmy Savile - What The BBC Knew, BBC1, 10.35pm 22 Oct

Comments

• Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sound on the more recent Karin Ward interview sounds a bit "off" somehow, anyone else notice?
  • Options
    Romola_Des_LoupRomola_Des_Loup Posts: 3,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like Panorama decided to make the programme that Newsnight failed to make, rather than just an investigation of why Newsnight pulled it. Good.

That's the impression I get too. Karin especially must have felt utterly betrayed after the original programme was pulled, and then again when the original 'reason' for pulling the programme was given. I am glad that the expert witness and at least two of the Newsnight Journalists have refused to let it go.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just out of interest if phone hacking was enough to shut down the News of the World, so would a paedo ribg be enough to shut down the BBC?

No. It happened in the 1970's/1980's and for all we all find it despicable and sickening, its not something that should shut the BBC down in 2012. But lessons should and will be learned. There is far more going on here than at the BBC - this is about establishment figures, people in the public eye and in the media and the police force itself and it stinks.
  • Options
    JOSWolfJOSWolf Posts: 2,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhumble wrote: »
    yep,,,,all the 70/80's stars who were involved in this are probably shitting themselves

I really hope they are. Scum of the earth.
    In prison soon hopefully.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there is a spate of showbiz suicides over the next few weeks I won't be one bit surprised.
  • Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A shut down might be a drastic measure. Perhaps a 'cleansing' period and a full investigation.

I think we've only heard a quarter of the story. You get the feeling more will come out.

I think ITV at the time would be implicated... Only 2 broadcasters
    :eek:
  • Options
    ugley_mattugley_matt Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    Shame the phone hacking didnt get used for something good, ie investigating saville rather than celeb tittle tattle
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    The sound on the more recent Karin Ward interview sounds a bit "off" somehow, anyone else notice?

Yes it sounded like it was recorded via a phone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Hi I don't often say things on here because everyone to they're own.
    But in the case of a prolific, predatory, protected paedophile such as Jimmy Saville, and all his co conspirators, co perps and back handed, paedophilic protectors I would just like to say.............................you thought you got away..................you didn't , you haven't .............. and the truth is out there....... thank god for the world wide web X
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "stepping aside"... ie. not resigning! :mad:
  • Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This story is so much bigger than the BBC - I think it's unfortunate that this is the bit that's being focussed on. Seem to me that some Newsnight Journo's are upset that ITV got to breal the story. TBH, I'm more concerned about what he got up to when he was working in hospitals !
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How bad must Shane Ritchie feel now sitting in that chair??
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish they would stop showing those pictures of him in his shorts. Makes my stomach turn.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I always thought there was something creepy about a member of a certain glam rock band in the 80's
  • Options
    KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ugley_matt wrote: »
    Shame the phone hacking didnt get used for something good, ie investigating saville rather than celeb tittle tattle

You honestly believe News Corp didn't know about this? Obviously the entire media did. You wouldn't know what is said behind the scenes, and all coming out now?

Its Murdochs revenge for Leveson and people trying to hang him out to dry in my opinion.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Just out of interest if phone hacking was enough to shut down the News of the World, so would a paedo ribg be enough to shut down the BBC?

I doubt it, for a start JS is dead now, as are a lot of figures there at the time.

Also, the NOTW shut, but reopened afterwards with a different name.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    This story is so much bigger than the BBC - I think it's unfortunate that this is the bit that's being focussed on. Seem to me that some Newsnight Journo's are upset that ITV got to breal the story. TBH, I'm more concerned about what he got up to when he was working in hospitals !
    Agreed.

How and why was he given full access to wards and a private room?
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't see this ending well for the bbc
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How bad must Shane Ritchie feel now sitting in that chair??

he has his own 'issues' with one particular young fan, i don't imagine he feels bad at all considering what he did.

..waited until she was old enough....rubbish
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Ironically the BBC at its best making a programme about what looks like the BBC at its worst.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a lot better than I was expecting. Entwhistle tomorrow, but when will Rippon and Boaden speak up?
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    mrbernay wrote: »
    I think ITV at the time would be implicated... Only 2 broadcasters
    :eek:

I'm sure your right. The entertainment industry attracted some strange people, it still does - it would stand to reason they'd be everywhere in society.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    i don't see this ending well for the bbc
    I don't think we've heard the last of this peado 'ring'.
  • Options
    kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone on HIGNFY said that they didn't actually 'know', they just heard rumors, and if anyone actually did 'know' what was going on, they should be prosecuted.
  • Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, after all the derogatory stuff about teachers, we get all this stuff about TV celebs.... At last the spotlight moves away from teachers....(I'm a teacher BTW). That was an excellent programme. The BBC is the only TV company in the world who would put itself under scrutiny like this and that has to be applauded. Please, all you BBC-bashers remember that...