Options

Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 9)

Comments

• Options
    JohnDoe14JohnDoe14 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MarcPaulB wrote: »
    Why is Craig still going to school? Haven't GCSEs finished at Weathy High yet? (assuming he took any - I haven't heard it mentioned?)

Because the writers seem to have forgotten his age and school year along with not properly understanding state schools (look back at Faye's school trip for a good example).
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    stevepjk wrote: »
    would david remember blockbusters seeing as he was three when it finished
    The original run finished in 1993, was revived in each of 1997, 2000/2001 and 2012. So he might have been referring to those series in the 2000s.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does. This sort of thing has happened many times in the guise of a competition on a television show or a radio show.

Sadly, much of the population has very poor morals and will drop their drawers or underpants in a second for a freebie like this!

I am glad that I have old fashioned morals.

I think you're making a huge assumption here, or do you just have a dirty mind? People do go on trips together without having sex you know!
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    The original run finished in 1993, was revived in each of 1997, 2000/2001 and 2012. So he might have been referring to those series in the 2000s.

Didn't he mention "Can I have a P please Bob?" which would mean he could only be referring to the earlier series which ended when he was 3.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't he mention "Can I have a P please Bob?" which would mean he could only be referring to the earlier series which ended when he was 3.

Yeah, fair point, but 'Can I have a 'P' please, Bob' is certainly a well known catchphrase.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did that work?

There were 50 questions, divided into ten rounds of five questions each. Each round had a theme title (sometimes misleading) . At the end of the quiz, each team could mark a large "J" against the round for which they'd get double points. They could also put a large "X" through one round - this round wouldn't be counted. Leaving a possible 50 marks for the quiz.

The important point is that it was after the teams had heard all the questions - even then, some teams picked the wrong round for one or the other!
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Playing the joker? That makes you sound like Arthur Ellis presiding over It's A Knockout! Remember him?

I imagine that's where the phrase, meaning double points, originated. Though wasn't it that rugby bloke and stuart somebody?
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    There were 50 questions, divided into ten rounds of five questions each. Each round had a theme title (sometimes misleading) . At the end of the quiz, each team could mark a large "J" against the round for which they'd get double points. They could also put a large "X" through one round - this round wouldn't be counted. Leaving a possible 50 marks for the quiz.

That sounds very complicated. I have always played it that the teams choose which round they have their double-points joker from the cryptic subject title, before the questions are asked.

I am contemplating doing a 'double or nothing' question / round - haven't quite worked out the logistics yet !!
  • Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    The pub quiz scenes were a load of shite. I've been to hundreds of pup quizzes and used to run them as well. I've never seen the quiz master read out the questions from behind the bar - not once. They're always set up at the end of the pub somewhere or in a booth. Nonsense from the writers.

Not necessarily nonsense. I go to a quiz every week and the quiz master is behind the bar.
    Likewise with the pub I work in. Between questions, they may be serving at the bar.
  • Options
    Sandgrounder1Sandgrounder1 Posts: 753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My local pub quiz has a Wipeout round, whereby if you put down an incorrect answer for any one question, your entire round is wiped out regardless of any other correct answers you may have given. So it's safer to leave it blank unless you're 100% certain. And just to try and keep it on topic, no pub would host a quiz night on a Friday - no need, which is why they are usually on a quiet night, in our case a Tuesday.
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,644
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    There were 50 questions, divided into ten rounds of five questions each. Each round had a theme title (sometimes misleading) . At the end of the quiz, each team could mark a large "J" against the round for which they'd get double points. They could also put a large "X" through one round - this round wouldn't be counted.

I'm confused. Why would you not want one round to be counted? :confused:
  • Options
    Soapster1Soapster1 Posts: 1,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Apart from Liz, none of the Rovers staff were working on quiz night! It was staffed by Erica, Eileen and Andrea. Weird.

Yes, where are Steve, Tony and Michelle? All had big events/SLs and all have disappeared. Even Lluoyd, the best man disappeared.

It looked like Nick and David went from the Rovers to the bistro. It seemed empty. Was it closed on Friday evening?

Yes strange all the bar staff off on a busy night. Nearly as strange as Roy arranging a driving lesson at 1pm... lunchtime in a cafe!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bethaneeny wrote: »
    Not necessarily nonsense. I go to a quiz every week and the quiz master is behind the bar.
    Likewise with the pub I work in. Between questions, they may be serving at the bar.

Totally agree, I used to do quizs in 4 different pubs & the quiz master was always behind the bar, normally at the flip up bit & would also serve the odd pint if needed during the quiz then at the interval also.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soapster1 wrote: »
    Yes strange all the bar staff off on a busy night. Nearly as strange as Roy arranging a driving lesson at 1pm... lunchtime in a cafe!

I thought that. No one who owns a cafe voluntarily makes appointments at lunchtime. No chance.
    Same as Nick the owner of the local restaurant. No way he'd be in The Rovers on a Friday night.
    And what about Eileen and Michael and Lloyd? They were all there and Steve's still in Spain, so I suppose Streetcars don't see the need for too many staff in a taxi firm on the Friday night after payday.
    And since when did Andrea work behind the bar? Where were Sarah and Sean and Michelle? You're having a quiz on a Friday night to bring the punters in, so you give every member of staff that night off so you need to ask one of the customers to step in when there is an emergency, do you?
    I see.
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ericos wrote: »
    Totally agree, I used to do quizs in 4 different pubs & the quiz master was always behind the bar, normally at the flip up bit & would also serve the odd pint if needed during the quiz then at the interval also.

I've honestly never seen that. I'm in the Glasgow area and it's just not done that way here. I've been going to, and hosting quizzes, for 25 years and the quiz master is always situated at a table set up for him or her or in a booth with all the equipment and speakers set up. In fact punters are often asked to move so he can get set up.
  • Options
    kevthelutonbeekevthelutonbee Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    and so this completely random "Julie Carp" would just accept this bizarre offer to go on a round the world cruise with some guy she has never met......yes makes total sense :)

Believe it or not it happened in real life a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    cardiancardian Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LaineyT wrote: »
    Has Kathy been thrown out of her house??? Shes getting a wash in the toilets and strolling around like a lost soul.

at least it was only her armpits :o
  • Options
    doormousedoormouse Posts: 2,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, this won't happen. Ridiculous idea.

Ok God, thanks for letting me know.
  • Options
    doormousedoormouse Posts: 2,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know how Deidrie's going to be written out? Or has it happened and I've missed it?
  • Options
    dobbybeardobbybear Posts: 18,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doormouse wrote: »
    Does anyone know how Deidrie's going to be written out? Or has it happened and I've missed it?

No she's not been written out yet, she even helped Ken with the quiz questions.
  • Options
    stevepjkstevepjk Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deirdre
    dies of a brain aneurysm, you just quietly pass away basically
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doormouse wrote: »

Yes, I know how she is going to be written out.
    Basically Ken and Tracy are preparing a 'welcome home' party for her, when they get a call from Bev (who she is staying with) to say that she has died.
  • Options
    desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sam_gee wrote: »
    Can't believe Miley's just going to be handed over to a bunch of strangers. Anna and co know nothing about Jackson's family apart from that they have a gormless drip of a son who has terrible taste in girls.

Jackson is a teenage boy. Says it all. The actor is atrocious btw. Hope this is the last we see of this family unless they move into the Street!!!!!
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Believe it or not it happened in real life a few weeks ago.

I can't at some people!
    dobbybear wrote: »
    No she's not been written out yet, she even helped Ken with the quiz questions.

It seems strange that Ken would bother Deirdre with such a trivial thing like a table quiz when she isn't at home. I'm guessing she submitted her contribution over email or by letter then:confused:
    It just seems weird.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That sounds very complicated. I have always played it that the teams choose which round they have their double-points joker from the cryptic subject title, before the questions are asked......................

The first time I used it I had to go round before the teams swapped papers, but after that it worked with no problems.
    davads wrote: »
    I'm confused. Why would you not want one round to be counted? :confused:

See post 4232.
  • Options
    dobbybeardobbybear Posts: 18,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    I can't at some people!

It seems strange that Ken would bother Deirdre with such a trivial thing like a table quiz when she isn't at home. I'm guessing she submitted her contribution over email or by letter then:confused:
    It just seems weird.

Yes I thought it was a bit odd too but obviously a way to keep her mentioned at the moment
This discussion has been closed.