Options

Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 9)

Comments

• Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Hahaha, Tracy and Amy trying to set Brian up with a fake Julie Carp.

Can anyone explain this plot? Were Tracy and Amy picking a random Julie Carp off Facebook? And ringing her up? Eh? :confused:
  • Options
    chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And what about Steve. He was supposed to be staying with Andy for "a couple of days", but that must have been two, possibly three weeks ago now. So what's he actually doing? Assuming Andy took some time off to re-bond with his twin, surely he's had to go back to whatever his work is by now, so Steve is therefore just mooching about on his own?

He has got to be back for the September wedding with the VW Campervan.
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    Can anyone explain this plot? Were Tracy and Amy picking a random Julie Carp off Facebook? And ringing her up? Eh? :confused:

That bit was totally ridiculous
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davads wrote: »

Yes, they were.
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Yes, they were.

Ooooooh...kay.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and so this completely random "Julie Carp" would just accept this bizarre offer to go on a round the world cruise with some guy she has never met......yes makes total sense :)
  • Options
    cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tracy and Amy did well to find another Julie Carp - looking on Facebook I can only find one, and that's the one that's being hounded by Brian! ("fictional character") :D
  • Options
    stevepjkstevepjk Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big sor, tracey being a mum and helping amy with her homework

hope the writers remember that amy starts high school in September
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does a bistro have its own van anyway? (which we've never seen before and is just introduced for a contrived plot device)

The van, plastered all over with the bistro's name and address, was parked outside a warehouse while nick and leanne burgled it.

How long has notGavin been driving it? How long ago did nick examine his driving licence? Why did he go to hospital just because he had a bump in the van?

And was anyone else expecting it to be a set up, with the wine stolen from the van?
    And it was still light! What time did the quiz start exactly?!

As has been pointed out, gary was closing up the cafe, which I'm sure is at 6pm, after the end of round 20.
    Even if Norris did know, she shouldn't have lost her temper at the customers. Especially when it was her great decision to host a pub quiz on a Friday night!...................

Erica is a friend of liz; that's a personal relationship. So it was very unprofessional to allow what happened to erica to affect her relationship with her customers.
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And didn't she say, as she left the Café, "I need to get to The Rovers, to help Sarah open up". Shouldn't that have been the other way around?

And what about Steve. He was supposed to be staying with Andy for "a couple of days", but that must have been two, possibly three weeks ago now. So what's he actually doing? Assuming Andy took some time off to re-bond with his twin, surely he's had to go back to whatever his work is by now, so Steve is therefore just mooching about on his own?

Apart from Liz, none of the Rovers staff were working on quiz night! It was staffed by Erica, Eileen and Andrea. Weird.

Yes, where are Steve, Tony and Michelle? All had big events/SLs and all have disappeared. Even Lloyd, the best man disappeared.

It looked like Nick and David went from the Rovers to the bistro. It seemed empty. Was it closed on Friday evening?
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tracy and Amy did well to find another Julie Carp - looking on Facebook I can only find one, and that's the one that's being hounded by Brian! ("fictional character") :D

Believe it or not the whole world isn't on FB!
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The pub quiz scenes were a load of shite. I've been to hundreds of pup quizzes and used to run them as well. I've never seen the quiz master read out the questions from behind the bar - not once. They're always set up at the end of the pub somewhere or in a booth. Nonsense from the writers.
  • Options
    BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,742
    Forum Member
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    The pub quiz scenes were a load of shite. I've been to hundreds of pup quizzes and used to run them as well. I've never seen the quiz master read out the questions from behind the bar - not once. They're always set up at the end of the pub somewhere or in a booth. Nonsense from the writers.

And only the characters involved in that episodes storylines were present. The pub didn't even look busy.

Also big Platt family meal for Erica's birthday - where was Sarah?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Believe it or not the whole world isn't on FB!

True! I'd hazard a guess that only around 10% of folks that I know are :D

I think what I meant was, if Julie had been called, say, Julie Smith, it would have been a lot more believable as a storyline as

a) There would have been many, many more doppelgängers to choose from
    b) Because of a) one of these would have been daft enough to have a profile with a telephone number on it!

:D
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    and so this completely random "Julie Carp" would just accept this bizarre offer to go on a round the world cruise with some guy she has never met......yes makes total sense :)

It does. This sort of thing has happened many times in the guise of a competition on a television show or a radio show.

Sadly, much of the population has very poor morals and will drop their drawers or underpants in a second for a freebie like this!

I am glad that I have old fashioned morals.
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corrie rip off SL because in December 2014..............

Man finds woman with same name as ex to join him on round-the-world trip

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/18/man-find-woman-same-name-ex-girlfriend-round-world-trip
  • Options
    MarcPaulBMarcPaulB Posts: 4,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is Craig still going to school? Haven't GCSEs finished at Weathy High yet? (assuming he took any - I haven't heard it mentioned?)
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BadRomance wrote: »
    And only the characters involved in that episodes storylines were present. The pub didn't even look busy.

Plus folk drink the same as always at Quiz Nights, so bar staff don't want someone bellowing into a mike getting in their way all night. Awful writing.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does. This sort of thing has happened many times in the guise of a competition on a television show or a radio show.

Sadly, much of the population has very poor morals and will drop their drawers or underpants in a second for a freebie like this!

I am glad that I have old fashioned morals.

But you would hope whoever was running the competition be it the magazine, TV show or Radio show, would vet and make checks on the contestants first before matching them up.

When it's some random person asking you directly to come on holiday, with no intermediary media outlet setting it up, you have no idea who or what type of person they are.
  • Options
    culabulaculabula Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If someone, anyone, rang you up in the back of finding your number on Facebook you'd immediately think "scam!” In the grand tradition of African princes wishing to use your account albeit temporarily to deposit a few million* (that their dad left them).

*and in the grand tradition of the Rover's Return, "have one for yourself".
  • Options
    stevepjkstevepjk Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    would david remember blockbusters seeing as he was three when it finished
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When it's some random person asking you directly to come on holiday, with no intermediary media outlet setting it up, you have no idea who or what type of person they are.

Very true. After all, the person calling you up could be a murderer. Hang on a minute...... :D
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Redpoppy wrote: »
    I've been to lots of quizzes too and generally each round is 'themed' i.e. round on geography, music, literature etc and teams are usually asked to play a joker on the round they think they will do best in. What's the point of having a quiz with lots of rounds of general knowledge questions?

When I used to put pub quizzes on, I not only had a joker round, but I gave teams the chance to "scrub" one round. Useful for those who, like me, can't do sports or pop music rounds.
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    The pub quiz scenes were a load of shite. I've been to hundreds of pup quizzes and used to run them as well. I've never seen the quiz master read out the questions from behind the bar - not once. ................

One very popular pub quiz I used to go to had the question master behind one end of the bar, armed with a microphone. One member of the winning team had to set the quiz two weeks later, so I was behind the bar on a number of occasions.

The pub has since been pulled down, but there's no connection.
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    When I used to put pub quizzes on, I not only had a joker round, but I gave teams the chance to "scrub" one round.

How did that work?
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    When I used to put pub quizzes on, I not only had a joker round, but I gave teams the chance to "scrub" one round. Useful for those who, like me, can't do sports or pop music rounds.
    Playing the joker? That makes you sound like Arthur Ellis presiding over It's A Knockout! Remember him?
This discussion has been closed.