Options

Seems Torchwood-The New World is no more

Comments

• Options
    JohnBoy WaltonJohnBoy Walton Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know, this thread may have been filled with some stupid Doctor Who argument and some garbage about them having a responsibility to list everything thats been destroyed or survived in an explosion that pretty much (apart from what they will conveniently need) destroyed everything, but at least there is not much Ianto bleating in DS which is always good. I gave up on my favourite Torchwood forums and facebook pages because I was fed up of the coffee sending morons who were determined to ruin everything (the ones who will NEVER watch again but so obviously will).

For that, I am grateful.
  • Options
    JohnFlawbodJohnFlawbod Posts: 4,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know, this thread may have been filled with some stupid Doctor Who argument and some garbage about them having a responsibility to list everything thats been destroyed or survived in an explosion that pretty much (apart from what they will conveniently need) destroyed everything, but at least there is not much Ianto bleating in DS which is always good. I gave up on my favourite Torchwood forums and facebook pages because I was fed up of the coffee sending morons who were determined to ruin everything (the ones who will NEVER watch again but so obviously will).

For that, I am grateful.

LOL, nice Post - also interesting to note that several Posters who "hated" Torchwood because it was "RTD crap" are now complaining that US involvement is going to ruin the series: go figure! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,666
    Forum Member
    Consistency and continuity in TW and DW ? *rolls on the floor and laughs*
    Come on ! Let's be serious for a sec, if you want consistency and continuity in a sci-fi show then you should watch... err... hang on, I'm sure I know at least one sci-fi show with consistency and continuity over the years... errr... Would Firefly count considering it lasted only 14 episodes and a film ?

Anyway, I'm terribly excited about all these TW news. Sure, I'm a bit worried about the changes, but I miss TW and Captain Jack so much that just a glimpse and a scene in Cardiff will be enough for me right now !
    So roll on summer !
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't trying to be clever.
    And in that, you succeeded admirably.
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    but you forget, Jack can travel in time;)

He can't, since his Vortex Manipulator was shorted out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL, nice Post - also interesting to note that several Posters who "hated" Torchwood because it was "RTD crap" are now complaining that US involvement is going to ruin the series: go figure! :D

I love it, makes me laugh a lot. Torchwood and 8th Doctor are my things and as much as I enjoy DW classic and new, I will always prefer EDA and TW. But if a new producer, showrunner, production company took over then I would give it a go. Fair enough, if this is hideous and really bad then moan. But until then, just try it. Took a gamble but COE worked out beautifully and I am so grateful this is a continuation and not a reboot and that RTD is still I'm charge.
  • Options
    JohnFlawbodJohnFlawbod Posts: 4,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it, makes me laugh a lot. Torchwood and 8th Doctor are my things and as much as I enjoy DW classic and new, I will always prefer EDA and TW. But if a new producer, showrunner, production company took over then I would give it a go. Fair enough, if this is hideous and really bad then moan. But until then, just try it. Took a gamble but COE worked out beautifully and I am so grateful this is a continuation and not a reboot and that RTD is still I'm charge.

I'm still not sure whether or not to keep the faith and watch CoE again just before TW: MD since it's a continuation or whether CoE being so fine will colour my view of TW:MD...hmmm, decisions, decisions :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had swine flu and then flipping pneumonia over Xmas, been off work since 17 December until tomorrow and watched Torchwood 1, 2 and COE so I am ok now until Miracle Day, just to watch the occasional episode and read the books, and the two new audio books. Then DW and then TW. Too exciting for words!
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Solamenn wrote: »
    Come on ! Let's be serious for a sec, if you want consistency and continuity in a sci-fi show then you should watch... err... hang on, I'm sure I know at least one sci-fi show with consistency and continuity over the years... errr... Would Firefly count considering it lasted only 14 episodes and a film ?

Anyway, I'm terribly excited about all these TW news. Sure, I'm a bit worried about the changes, but I miss TW and Captain Jack so much that just a glimpse and a scene in Cardiff will be enough for me right now !
    So roll on summer !

You know, I don't think you can even count that one! The film and tv show kind of contradict each other a little - they have differing stories to tell.

So to sum up: even a short-lived, few-episoded sci-fi run has an issue with keeping consistency...

;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Nothing like keeping an open mind is there? :)

as i said up thread, people were convinced that a five episode series involving politicians was going to be pants and went on and on and on about how pants it would be for months before COE aired, and in the end on this forum it was arguably more popular than an Doctor Who related series since the show returned.

yep...
    They have the perfect ongoing story to cover that, something happens to keep Jack immortal but his aging carries on. Perfectly leading up to the already hinted at Face of Boe. The cruelest twist for Jack since Ianto and Steven, even his looks vanish.

Who are these 'yanks'? As far as every report I read RTD and JG are still very much in charge. Bloody RTD putting on a Welsh accent to confuse me?

:D

For that, I am grateful.

yeah I guess you right...could be worse...
    Solamenn wrote: »

So roll on summer !

excellently put!!!!:D
    And in that, you succeeded admirably.

He can't, since his Vortex Manipulator was shorted out.

maybe I was wrong to say it in such a surefire way....but at the same time, there is nothing to say that he can't...becuase yes his manipulator was shorted out...untill the Doctor fixed it in the Sound of Drums...before this he lost its ability to travel in time and teleport....and then the Doctor broke it again in LOTTL, and the reason he gave was that he would go anywhere twice...once to say sorry...suggesting the issue was time travel...rather than teleportation....but again both are lost (River's was also able to do both)...the he got the code in Journey's end....but the Doctor again got rid of it....but who is to say that he forgot the code? he probably respected the Doctor's descision and didn't put the code in....untill he needed to runaway for good...to which he then may have put the code in...as we don't see him actually lifet the cover, we already see it lifted, and him pressing a final button, and vanishing a two or three seconds later...

so who knows....but whatever the case...it isn't shorted out anymore....
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    You know, I don't think you can even count that one! The film and tv show kind of contradict each other a little - they have differing stories to tell.

So to sum up: even a short-lived, few-episoded sci-fi run has an issue with keeping consistency...

;)

yep!!!:D
  • Options
    INSOMNIA56INSOMNIA56 Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    err..... i thought it was to be called The New Tomorrow....
    time for a lie down.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    INSOMNIA56 wrote: »
    err..... i thought it was to be called The New Tomorrow....
    time for a lie down.

yes, but that would be like tomorrow, only new, so no change there....:p

Exciting to read they have commenced filming now. :)
  • Options
    Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,870
    Forum Member
    Had swine flu and then flipping pneumonia over Xmas, been off work since 17 December until tomorrow and watched Torchwood 1, 2 and COE so I am ok now until Miracle Day, just to watch the occasional episode and read the books, and the two new audio books. Then DW and then TW. Too exciting for words!

Ye Gods! You shouldn't be going back to work yet.

Swine flu is bad enough, but Pneumonia is the real bugger. You need plenty of rest to recover from the damage & effects of it even after the virus is gone.

Whoever told you to go back to work is a muppet. Your immune system has just taken one hell of a beating & it needs recovering.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ye Gods! You shouldn't be going back to work yet.

Swine flu is bad enough, but Pneumonia is the real bugger. You need plenty of rest to recover from the damage & effects of it even after the virus is gone.

Whoever told you to go back to work is a muppet. Your immune system has just taken one hell of a beating & it needs recovering.

Yeah, I lasted half a day. I am now on the couch watching daytime tv mixed with DW and Shameless and having another fortnight.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait for this.

I've been missing Torchwood massively.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait for this.

I've been missing Torchwood massively.

By the time the series airs it'll be two years since CoE, i really hope that there won't be such long gaps between series here on in if all goes well with this one....
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    By the time the series airs it'll be two years since CoE, i really hope that there won't be such long gaps between series here on in if all goes well with this one....

Got to agree with you.

I can't understand why they've had such a gap.

I've always thought that they should run it opposite Dr Who, so that it is on screen when Dr Who is off air, that way fans are catered for for most of the year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got to agree with you.

I can't understand why they've had such a gap.

I've always thought that they should run it opposite Dr Who, so that it is on screen when Dr Who is off air, that way fans are catered for for most of the year.

till now there has always been an air of uncertainty about TW future, for one reason or another, mainly to do with funding i think. But with Starz on board, i hope we could see a series in the summer as a regular thing if this series goes well.
  • Options
    KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Because it is important to those who actually follow the show and care about internal consistency. That populist attitude was what ruined Doctor Who, I don't want to see Torchwood go the same way.

Those people really need to get some perspective, then.

There's never been any particular internal consistency in these shows, as has been said previously, 99.9% of viewers wouldn't give two hoots about any of those things.

Why, because they're not important. It's a TV show and it doesn't have to make sense - that counts doubly for the times when its utterly irrelevant (like now).

It's the people who try to nit pick everything (the Doctor only has 13 lives, etc...) that find flaw in everything.

Sometimes, I think taking a good step backward and putting a show into perspective is a really good idea.

I'm fairly sure that people not caring about consistency didn't 'ruin' Doctor Who.
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Karis wrote: »
    Those people really need to get some perspective, then.

There's never been any particular internal consistency in these shows, as has been said previously, 99.9% of viewers wouldn't give two hoots about any of those things.

Why, because they're not important. It's a TV show and it doesn't have to make sense - that counts doubly for the times when its utterly irrelevant (like now).

It's the people who try to nit pick everything (the Doctor only has 13 lives, etc...) that find flaw in everything.

Sometimes, I think taking a good step backward and putting a show into perspective is a really good idea.

I'm fairly sure that people not caring about consistency didn't 'ruin' Doctor Who.

Indeed - I was under the impression that it was exactly the opposite: that Doctor Who died out due to the excessive catering to the internal consitency, thereby alienating the casual viewers...

That proves that a more flexible approach is the better route.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noticed Wayne Knight (Jurassic Park etc) has been added to the cast, managed to avoid most stories on this so far but have to agree with the people worrying about the US cast, I loved TW and it's darkness, you never know though, I do love a lot of the US shows and they might still do TW justice, will have to see, anyone know when it starts?

PS Is Gwen not in the new series?
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    Indeed - I was under the impression that it was exactly the opposite: that Doctor Who died out due to the excessive catering to the internal consitency, thereby alienating the casual viewers...

A false assumption frequently touted as fact by too many. Doctor Who was still popular and getting respectable ratings up until 1986, all the way through the period some regard as too continuity heavy. It died because the BBC wanted to get rid of it for other reasons and did so by, from 1987, deliberately scheduling it in a slot where it'd be up against the competition's highest performing soap and giving it no promotion. It had nothing to do with its popularity or otherwise with the public and everything to do with changes of priority at the BBC and the personal grudges of certain executives.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    spendleb wrote: »
    Noticed Wayne Knight (Jurassic Park etc) has been added to the cast, managed to avoid most stories on this so far but have to agree with the people worrying about the US cast, I loved TW and it's darkness, you never know though, I do love a lot of the US shows and they might still do TW justice, will have to see, anyone know when it starts?

PS Is Gwen not in the new series?

July 1st.
    And yes, she is :)
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RTD has said that Gwen and Jack are still the lead characters on the show.
  • Options
    WillCBWillCB Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    Some more news on Torchwood: Miracle Day...

- 'Torchwood' writer John Fay discusses Series 4

- 'Ghostbusters' star joins 'Torchwood: Miracle Day'

Ernie Hudson guest starring, amazing!
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WillCB wrote: »
    Some more news on Torchwood: Miracle Day...

- 'Torchwood' writer John Fay discusses Series 4

Interesting that a lot of
    Episode 9 (out of 10) is set in Wales, I think a lot of people thought that once Jack/Gwen got to the U.S that would be pretty much the end of any scenes set in Wales.