Options

Seems Torchwood-The New World is no more

Comments

• Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a lot of people are wondering that, but if it's being made for the Yanks and pitched as a new show, I don't think we'll get an answer. It's a bad idea, I think. It'll be just another US sci-fi show with no links to its own past or to Doctor Who.

I'll be interested to see how they get Jack back as it seemed pretty obvious he wanted to get away from Earth and forget all about it at the end of CoE. I would have thought that finished him for a long time. I can't help remembering when we were promised a 'lighter' Jack - in series 2 just before he was betrayed by an ex-lover, killed by his brother and buried for 1000 years, half his team killed and Cardiff blown up...I expect it'll be down to Gwen. 'Jack, it's Gwen and I'm bringing you back to Earth' anyone?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    especially when it's just a thinly veiled attempt to rehash a tired non-related topic of discussion all over again..;)

Indeed, sometimes I think the line between personal opinion and fact can become blurred for quite a few people.
    Where is this vast majority? A few people on an Internet forum isn't a "vast majority". I wasn't trying to be clever.

You were implying series 5 and A Christmas Carol were inconsistent am I correct? Perhaps they were in your mind, but to the vast majority of fans and viewers, it wasn't. To answer the part about the vast majority: People would not have tuned back in week on week to watch it, nor would the AIs of the episodes been as high as they were if the show was inconsistent, or as crap as you so proclaim it to have been last year.

I am not a fan of Series 2, but I don't bring up how bad I thought it was everytime someone makes an anti-Moffat remark. Series 5 has passed and it's time people started focusing on series 6, rather than continuing to bring up their opinion on series 5. This applies to so many people on the forum - you'd think it was an anti-Doctor Who place here sometimes!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    I am looking forwards to this. The first two series of TW seemed to struggle to find there true calling imo lurching from poignant stories to 'lets be rude Doctor Who' ones. CoE was a stunning and chilling drama so if the next series continues in that vein then I think it will be great.

I agree....the first series was more or less an experiment, the whole cast and production team trying to find their feet...series 2 is when they took in criticism and made vast improvemenst...and series 3, as Muttley pointed out, the one story format was lumped onto them....but RTD and Co turned it to their advantage, and came up with something that actually made TW stand on its own two feet....
    When someone is trying to make a point, no matter how valid/invalid you think it is, it doesn't make you seem any more clever or bigger than the person you are arguing against to bring in something you don't like but the vast majority did. In fact it does the complete opposite, it makes both you and your argument appear very weak.

I agree....there is plenty of holes in the argument of the person they have quoted without resorting to that....
    Talma wrote: »
    Jack's the only reason I'm going to watch it, CoE may have been well made etc but it was too depressing for me, It just had no light in it at all and that really isn't my thing. If I want depressed I can do real life! Out of three friends who watched it one feels the same way, one loved it and the other wasn't sure, so we had endless discussions...anyway we all decided we'd like to know more about what happened to what was left of the Hub, the Rift, the weevils, all the alien tech etc as Jack never went back and Gwen only later, and besides what chance did she have of getting her hands on anything really important. And if the vortex manipulator survived then so could a lot of things.

In all fairness thre was planty of light moments in the episode too, up to the point of Ianto dying, Jack's emotions were pretty much balanced in terms of being serious when needing to be serious, and having a joke here or there when there was a need/right place for it for it. so untill part 5....the humour was there...its just the darkness of episode 5 stays with you for longer, and considering the theme of the episode, its no suprise there wasn't any humour, although there was a bit from Rhys at times....so none isn't correct.

As for what Gwen found....well she managed to find the small vortex manipulator in that ruble....who is to say she couldn't find anything else....Jack didn't ask for anything else....so she only gave him the manipulator. and again, when Johnson had the wreakge searched for Jack's body parts....who is to say they didn't take anything.....its all well and fine I guess to amuse about what has survived and what hasn't...but really how important is that to future stories or even to the plot of COE....its a minor detail. All that was important was that the team were left baseless, considerd dead and forced to go into hiding, with not much equipment left to solve the plot. TW computer system could still be hacked into....so they can bring in anything they want or leave it destroyed, depending on the story...but either way, its not important to the plot as long as the plot doesn't need it.

I think a lot of people are wondering that, but if it's being made for the Yanks and pitched as a new show, I don't think we'll get an answer. It's a bad idea, I think. It'll be just another US sci-fi show with no links to its own past or to Doctor Who.

Okay so now not only does spoon-feeding need to be donw, but anecdotal evidence now counts as " a lot of people"???:eek: Right if that is the case....there are more people on this very thread who are happy to accept that things have been blown apart...and if they come back thy do....there you go a lot of people don't think that....and that is a FACT!!!;)

And surely the fact that you are happy with Moff era breaking away from the RTD era (which I agree with)....than surely TW has every right to do so too???:confused: Its a new era for the show...let it be.....

Where is this vast majority? A few people on an Internet forum isn't a "vast majority". I wasn't trying to be clever.

The high number of audiance figures and AI results would be a great starting point for that evidence;)
    I'll be interested to see how they get Jack back as it seemed pretty obvious he wanted to get away from Earth and forget all about it at the end of CoE. I would have thought that finished him for a long time. I can't help remembering when we were promised a 'lighter' Jack - in series 2 just before he was betrayed by an ex-lover, killed by his brother and buried for 1000 years, half his team killed and Cardiff blown up...I expect it'll be down to Gwen. 'Jack, it's Gwen and I'm bringing you back to Earth' anyone?

as EOT showed, depsite the pain that he has suffered (and having lived a long life, hehas seen many, and like the Doctor is learning to live with it), the Doctor almost asking him to move on, is a step towards the old Jack again....

He will have his deamons I'm sure....but just like the Doctor....he will fight the fight when there is a need to.
  • Options
    lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    I agree....the first series was more or less an experiment, the whole cast and production team trying to find their feet...series 2 is when they took in criticism and made vast improvemenst...and series 3, as Muttley pointed out, the one story format was lumped onto them....but RTD and Co turned it to their advantage, and came up with something that actually made TW stand on its own two feet....

I agree....there is plenty of holes in the argument of the person they have quoted without resorting to that....

In all fairness thre was planty of light moments in the episode too, up to the point of Ianto dying, Jack's emotions were pretty much balanced in terms of being serious when needing to be serious, and having a joke here or there when there was a need/right place for it for it. so untill part 5....the humour was there...its just the darkness of episode 5 stays with you for longer, and considering the theme of the episode, its no suprise there wasn't any humour, although there was a bit from Rhys at times....so none isn't correct.

As for what Gwen found....well she managed to find the small vortex manipulator in that ruble....who is to say she couldn't find anything else....Jack didn't ask for anything else....so she only gave him the manipulator. and again, when Johnson had the wreakge searched for Jack's body parts....who is to say they didn't take anything.....its all well and fine I guess to amuse about what has survived and what hasn't...but really how important is that to future stories or even to the plot of COE....its a minor detail. All that was important was that the team were left baseless, considerd dead and forced to go into hiding, with not much equipment left to solve the plot. TW computer system could still be hacked into....so they can bring in anything they want or leave it destroyed, depending on the story...but either way, its not important to the plot as long as the plot doesn't need it.

Okay so now not only does spoon-feeding need to be donw, but anecdotal evidence now counts as " a lot of people"???:eek: Right if that is the case....there are more people on this very thread who are happy to accept that things have been blown apart...and if they come back thy do....there you go a lot of people don't think that....and that is a FACT!!!;)

And surely the fact that you are happy with Moff era breaking away from the RTD era (which I agree with)....than surely TW has every right to do so too???:confused: Its a new era for the show...let it be.....

The high number of audiance figures and AI results would be a great starting point for that evidence;)

as EOT showed, depsite the pain that he has suffered (and having lived a long life, hehas seen many, and like the Doctor is learning to live with it), the Doctor almost asking him to move on, is a step towards the old Jack again....

He will have his deamons I'm sure....but just like the Doctor....he will fight the fight when there is a need to.

Saving myself a lot of typing if I just agree with you. I'm looking forward to it. Don't know what to expect, but I will wait until I see it. Children of Earth was one of the most amazing programmes I ever had the pleasure to watch, and I hope the new series is just as good.

This is not Moffat against RTD. Both are marvellous in their own ways and without them, my entertainment would be severely limited. Can people not take their childish arguments and agendas somewhere else?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saving myself a lot of typing if I just agree with you. I'm looking forward to it. Don't know what to expect, but I will wait until I see it. Children of Earth was one of the most amazing programmes I ever had the pleasure to watch, and I hope the new series is just as good.

This is not Moffat against RTD. Both are marvellous in their own ways and without them, my entertainment would be severely limited. Can people not take their childish arguments and agendas somewhere else?

And I agree with you!!!! This year because of Both Moff and RTD...we have DW in two parts, SJA, and TW, and Sherlock!!!! TV has never been better!!!! :D
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TV has never been better!!!! :D

well, apart from when The Wacky Races was being shown...;)
  • Options
    lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And I agree with you!!!! This year because of Both Moff and RTD...we have DW in two parts, SJA, and TW, and Sherlock!!!! TV has never been better!!!! :D

... and I look forward to the next series of all of them. My worst nightmare would be if any of them would be cancelled.

I really don't understand the "hate" some people feel towards certain eras.:(. I'm looking forward to the "6th series", Torchwood, Sarah Jane (the last series was amazing) and Sherlock. It's all amazing stuff. Some of it I might not like, some of it I absolutely love, but above all it's bloody good entertainment. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well, apart from when The Wacky Races was being shown...;)

Oh yes ofcourse....:D
    ... and I look forward to the next series of all of them. My worst nightmare would be if any of them would be cancelled.

I really don't understand the "hate" some people feel towards certain eras.:(. I'm looking forward to the "6th series", Torchwood, Sarah Jane (the last series was amazing) and Sherlock. It's all amazing stuff. Some of it I might not like, some of it I absolutely love, but above all it's bloody good entertainment. :D

Exactly....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I imagine Jack will have been travelling for a few hundred years (from his perspective of course- plenty of time travellers out there so he can be anywhen he likes) before returning to Earth- maybe deliberately aiming for 21st century, maybe not. Unless his immortality is to disappear, he needs these breaks written in- John Barrowman can't avoid getting older! (Though I'm sure he does his best :p )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine Jack will have been travelling for a few hundred years (from his perspective of course- plenty of time travellers out there so he can be anywhen he likes) before returning to Earth- maybe deliberately aiming for 21st century, maybe not. Unless his immortality is to disappear, he needs these breaks written in- John Barrowman can't avoid getting older! (Though I'm sure he does his best :p )

although i think he looks better as he gets older, when you compare Jack now to when he was in series 1...well he definitly does look a good few years older, no getting away from that, so yeah i agree it would be prudent to have had Jack be travelling for a long period of time, I mean I suppose potentially it could have been hundreds of years after COE The Doctor went to see Jack in EOT even...:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    although i think he looks better as he gets older, when you compare Jack now to when he was in series 1...well he definitly does look a good few years older, no getting away from that, so yeah i agree it would be prudent to have had Jack be travelling for a long period of time, I mean I suppose potentially it could have been hundreds of years after COE The Doctor went to see Jack in EOT even...:)

Thats very true as well.....for Gwen herself, I think COE will be two years behind won't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats very true as well.....for Gwen herself, I think COE will be two years behind won't it?

i did read that yes, makes sense.

i hope we don't have to wait so long for the next series after this one, there always seems to be overlay long gaps between torchwood series so far...:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Unless his immortality is to disappear, he needs these breaks written in- John Barrowman can't avoid getting older! (Though I'm sure he does his best :p )

Ummm...that Botox he uses does help to keep one looking younger for a while!

Oh, this brings up a thought. What is unique about Jack? His immortality. Now that the human race becomes immortal, lets consider the two together. The story will surely be about how bad it is for everyone to live forever and some way of reversing this will have to be found...or what is causing this, to be eliminated.

That said, Jack will again be the only one who is immortal. I have to think they will either weave in how he is getting tired of living forever while all those around him he loves dies. I wonder if in the process, a way to make Jack mortal will happen? Or maybe they will just have him agonize over his immortality more as a result? He could be a kind of modern Sisyphus in that sense. Lots of pathos to be mined there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leavenfish wrote: »
    Ummm...that Botox he uses does help to keep one looking younger for a while!

Oh, this brings up a thought. What is unique about Jack? His immortality. Now that the human race becomes immortal, lets consider the two together. The story will surely be about how bad it is for everyone to live forever and some way of reversing this will have to be found...or what is causing this, to be eliminated.

That said, Jack will again be the only one who is immortal. I have to think they will either weave in how he is getting tired of living forever while all those around him he loves dies. I wonder if in the process, a way to make Jack mortal will happen? Or maybe they will just have him agonize over his immortality more as a result? He could be a kind of modern Sisyphus in that sense. Lots of pathos to be mined there.

one of the things that interests me about this is the potential for those closest to Jack to come to realise the poisoned chalice immortality can be, and the kind of moral dilemmas such a "miracle" has.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member

i hope we don't have to wait so long for the next series after this one, there always seems to be overlay long gaps between torchwood series so far...:(

If there's a fifth series (despite JB's 7 series comment, depends massively on it's popularity in the US unless the Beeb agree to go back to funding it alone) I think the three way, two-country co-production element will change that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah the first three moved like a lunar calender month does didn't it....and the a whole two year gap now...so yes fingers crossed for a less wait this time....

Though the 2008 was a great start, having series 4 of DW start a day after TW.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Though the 2008 was a great start, having series 4 of DW start a day after TW.....

was weird scheduling though!
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member

The only thing is, Alonso Frame was there, which may (or may not if there is a lot of futuristic technology that slows the aging process or if residents of Sto have a longer lifespan) make that impossible.

But much time may have passed since EOT for Jack :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing is, Alonso Frame was there, which may (or may not if there is a lot of futuristic technology that slows the aging process or if residents of Sto have a longer lifespan) make that impossible.

well, i guess my point is that Jack himself could have gotten another space hopper or some such....so nothing to say he has been living time in a liner way himself...:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    was weird scheduling though!

I think if it hadn't been for Journey's end...it may have been given its own time and space.....I can't remember when they shot series 2, but I think they did it late didn't they? As I know from an interview Alan Dale talked about bumping into Kylie again when he was shooting for TW, and she was shooting for VOTD, so if they were shooting episode 6 in July 2008, I guess it probably explians the delay...

But much time may have passed since EOT for Jack :D

but you forget, Jack can travel in time;)....so it could centuries after COE, that he went to that Bar, and met both the Doctor and Alonso:)
  • Options
    thebill22thebill22 Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know how many eps we get? and also i really enjoyed coe but what i would like is maybe a thirteen part episode but in the middle of that, maybe eps 4-9, having a five parter like coe, then you get more eps and more stories.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thebill22 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many eps we get?

Ten episodes...:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    :mad: As soon as the Yanks get their hands on it, the series will be ruined. Might as well have ended it where it was rather than get the CIA involved etc. I think it will be pants.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :mad: As soon as the Yanks get their hands on it, the series will be ruined. Might as well have ended it where it was rather than get the CIA involved etc. I think it will be pants.

Nothing like keeping an open mind is there? :)

as i said up thread, people were convinced that a five episode series involving politicians was going to be pants and went on and on and on about how pants it would be for months before COE aired, and in the end on this forum it was arguably more popular than an Doctor Who related series since the show returned.
  • Options
    JohnBoy WaltonJohnBoy Walton Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They have the perfect ongoing story to cover that, something happens to keep Jack immortal but his aging carries on. Perfectly leading up to the already hinted at Face of Boe. The cruelest twist for Jack since Ianto and Steven, even his looks vanish.

Who are these 'yanks'? As far as every report I read RTD and JG are still very much in charge. Bloody RTD putting on a Welsh accent to confuse me?