Options

What makes Beyonce a 'legend'?

Comments

• Options
    rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lightblues wrote: »
    :D the fame monster Album has produced more singles of quality than ALL of beyonces releases put together, and Rihanna simply has better pop songs.

Beyonce has no signature track(not that that is important)but it's a good maker if you supposed to be a 'legend'

There are too many to choose from to name as her definitive track.

Crazy in Love exploded her onto the scene
    Irreplaceable and Single Ladies are almost universally popular
    Halo and Listen contest for her greatest ballad

then there's her group stuff, she got Bootylicious into the English Dictionary I believe. Survivor, Bootylicious, Say My Name and Bug a Boo sound just as fresh and brilliant as they did years ago.
  • Options
    lightblueslightblues Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are too many to choose from to name as her definitive track.

Crazy in Love exploded her onto the scene
    Irreplaceable and Single Ladies are almost universally popular
    Halo and Listen contest for her greatest ballad

then there's her group stuff, she got *****licious into the English Dictionary I believe. Survivor, *****licious, Say My Name and Bug a Boo sound just as fresh and brilliant as they did years ago.

no no no,.. these are just Tracks .Crazy in Love you, rightly said set her up , i love that track but it' was a beginning ,for me there has been nothing since ,let me give some obvious examples:

whitney's 'saving all my love' is very popular track and got her established but it's not her signature

mariah's 'visions of love '..same thing
    these 2 are legends ,Beyonce will never be a true legend unless she gets better material.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no no no,.. these are just Tracks .Crazy in Love you, rightly said set her up , i love that track but it' was a beginning ,for me there has been nothing since ,let me give some obvious examples:

whitney's 'saving all my love' is very popular track and got her established but it's not her signature

mariah's 'visions of love '..same thing
    these 2 are legends ,Beyonce will never be a true legend unless she gets better material.

I think she's only 4 albums in, I think she could certainly use more consistent material. I was just saying in the appreciation thread, how she always seems slightly lacking on the album front, so I don't think she needs "better" material, I think tracks like If I Were a Boy, Crazy In Love, Irreplaceable etc are at a high level, I think what she needs is an album full of them instead of 3 or 4 people album.

But she's only 4 albums in so far, it actually feels like more, she spreads them out since she loves to tour, but I think she'll be fully cemented as a legend within another couple of albums.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash's Man wrote: »
    Tina Turner was great but she was never on B's level. Beyonce does not put a foot out of place and her voice doesn't falter whether she's leaning back til her head touches the ground or twisting her neck at 100 miles an hour, her voice stays consistent.

you are soooooo having a laugh! how old are you? you must be young.
    i saw TINA AT 70 YEARS OLD bringing the house down two years ago.I'll be surprised if beyonce is still selling out venues at 70 years old.Beyonce sooo wants to be a modern day Tina ,she's got along way to go yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i saw TINA AT 70 YEARS OLD bringing the house down two years ago.I'll be surprised if beyonce is still selling out venues at 70 years old.Beyonce sooo wants to be a modern day Tina ,she's got along way to go yet.

Being as objective as I can, I honestly think she will be.

I know I am biased because I am actually in love with the woman, but I genuinely think she'll tour until she drops.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm - interesting how my suggestion that Fleetwood Mac would be a better headline act to close Glasto went down well.

Would be interesting if this happened, and Edge of 17 was in the set...
    SUCK ON THAT, BEYONCE!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she's only 4 albums in, I think she could certainly use more consistent material. I was just saying in the appreciation thread, how she always seems slightly lacking on the album front, so I don't think she needs "better" material, I think tracks like If I Were a Boy, Crazy In Love, Irreplaceable etc are at a high level, I think what she needs is an album full of them instead of 3 or 4 people album.

But she's only 4 albums in so far, it actually feels like more, she spreads them out since she loves to tour, but I think she'll be fully cemented as a legend within another couple of albums.

interesting these 3 tracks,if you ask the average joe/josephine which out of these 3 tracks they preferred i reckon most would go for crazy in love , why ? probably because it's her most popular universal hit.it's a'killer' song even if you are not a fan you would like it .My point is, that's all she 's got , the other's are only popular with her fan base ,you are right she needs more of these types on her albums.she got to have mass/crossover appeal in her genre. MJ did it with Thriller.
    Sadly i think she got a LONG way to go,when you consider that Jennifer Hudson blew her away on all levels in 'dream girls' (a la Streisand) it's a bit ridiculous to talk about Beyonce as a legend.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    Hmm - interesting how my suggestion that Fleetwood Mac would be a better headline act to close Glasto went down well.

Would be interesting if this happened, and Edge of 17 was in the set...
    SUCK ON THAT, BEYONCE!

Why's it an is-or thing? I like both of them.

God forbid, every time the subject is brought up tons of people insist Fleetwood Mac Rumours-era sucked compared to the 'good old' Peter Green days, so we'd have five billion comments moaning about that if such a thing occured.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being as objective as I can, I honestly think she will be.

I know I am biased because I am actually in love with the woman, but I genuinely think she'll tour until she drops.

maybe :)time will tell if she's still going strong by then she will have probably earnt legendary status.:)

although she''l have to be in good shape to do the booty bounce at that age..lol
  • Options
    Ash's ManAsh's Man Posts: 7,165
    Forum Member

I'm old enough to have been around for Tina's era and have seen her live... And guess what, after seeing Beyonce live, Tina looks just looks like any other performer. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    maybe :)time will tell if she's still going strong by then she will have probably earnt legendary status.:)

although she''l have to be in good shape to do the booty bounce at that age..lol

You are so having a laugh thinking that Bey would not sell out by the time she's 70. You must not know much about American pop culture, because the UK and their biased press might not know much about Bey but the US have been calling her a legend pretty much since around 2008.
  • Options
    ICON111ICON111 Posts: 3,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beyonce is a legend because she's a huge talent, a revolutionary performer and everyone know who is she.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm old enough to have been around for Tina's era and have seen her live... And guess what, after seeing Beyonce live, Tina looks just looks like any other performer. :)

we'll just have to disagree my friend:). what is beyonce's act gonna look like when she's 70 she can't do that all those moves at that age . even james brown couldn't when i saw him live also at 70 years old (he was still brilliant btw)
    Madonna can't do it like she was younger, you've gotta come up with a completely different show when your show is dance heavy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    we'll just have to disagree my friend:). what is beyonce's act gonna look like when she's 70 she can't do that all those moves at that age . even james brown couldn't when i saw him live also at 70 years old (he was still brilliant btw)
    Madonna can't do it like she was younger, you've gotta come up with a completely different show when your show is dance heavy.

Well not being funny but the impact and success of an artist does not rely entirely on whether they can bust a move at 70 years old. Did Tina break the record for most amount of grammys won in one night by a female artist? Was Tina the first female artist to headline Glastonbury? Did Tina sing for President Obama's inauguration? Is Tina the highest paid black movie actress of all time? Did Tina even have a movie career while maintaining a music career? Did Tina do all that before she was 30? No. I think you're not acknowledging a lot of the facts of Beyonce's achievements in favour of Tina being able to dance and collect her pension simultaneously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are so having a laugh thinking that Bey would not sell out by the time she's 70. You must not know much about American pop culture, because the UK and their biased press might not know much about Bey but the US have been calling her a legend pretty much since around 2008.

the UK press have nothing but good words to say about Beyonce , i don't know what you are talking about.
    if the US were calling her a legend 3 years ago ,well that says a lot about Americans. i guess Usher's a legend too, Bieber too(i know he's canadian) Cee Lo green by American standards, he must also be a legend now ,oh and i forgot the Legendary Katie Perry .

my god! Beyonce hasn't even had a 'greatest hits' compilation and the American's are calling her a legend , the mind boggles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well not being funny but the impact and success of an artist does not rely entirely on whether they can bust a move at 70 years old. Did Tina break the record for most amount of grammys won in one night by a female artist? Was Tina the first female artist to headline Glastonbury? Did Tina sing for President Obama's inauguration? Is Tina the highest paid black movie actress of all time? Did Tina even have a movie career while maintaining a music career? Did Tina do all that before she was 30? No. I think you're not acknowledging a lot of the facts of Beyonce's achievements in favour of Tina being able to dance and collect her pension simultaneously.

Firstly ,you should read Tina's story.

All Beyonce's achievements are well deserved ,she's a hard working woman.but nowadays she's a brand more than an artist.she won 8 grammy in one night,great! all that means is that she is popular with those that decide where the grammy's go .we have the same system here in England.
    headlining glastonbury was great for her , however she got the gig through her husband/coldplay connections .highest paid movie actress?, first of all i'm sure Halle Berry can command more for a movie than her(whilst holding her oscar) and secondly i wouldn't describe her as a credible actress,more of a singer trying her hand at acting and seeing how it goes.
    Ever heard of Mad Max?
    i never mentioned Tina dancing at 70, I'm talking about Performance, but yes she could move good too.

almost forgot the Inauguration, didn't she sing 'at last' the Etta James classic. have you Heard ETTA ? now that's a legend,and Etta apparently wasn't to pleased that she sung her signature tune.( beyonce had nothing of her own to sing)And to be fair if that song was to be sung it SHOULD have been Etta, someone who actually lived through the black civil rights movements and experienced the oppression of extreme racism back then and is Still alive, why they chose Beyonce? it' must be cos she popular . i think they kissed and made up though.
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Singing Happy Birthday to some bloke at Sony Music was kinda sucky.
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She played the Acid queen in 'Tommy' (1975)
    Won an award for starring in 'Mad max 3' (even though she was terrible in it) and she was in 'the last action hero'

She has also sold more concert tickets than any other solo music performer in history
  • Options
    MikePJBMikePJB Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    I could be wrong, but looking at those facts about Beyoncé and what she's acheived, did Tina Turner achieve stuff like that all before she was 30? If not then why is it so hard for people to believe that Beyoncé will soon be referred to as a legend? She's done so much, broke a ton of records and she's only 29.

I don't know why some people are so against the idea of Beyoncé being a legend. I don't care about certain posters in here saying 'I can only name so and so amount of songs', you don't represent the entire public. I'm sure I could people to name some of Tina's songs and some would struggle. That obviously doesn't mean she's less of a legend at all.

Some people seem to disregard all she's achieved at such a young age. Beyoncé will be a legend whether you like it or not. A lot of artists and people respect her and are inspired by her even if they don't enjoy her genre of music.

And don't even compare her to Lady GaGa or Rihanna, I love Rihanna.....but no!

Like I said, some people seem to refuse to allow artists of this generation to be known as a legend. Shame.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You do realise that things were a lot different when Tina was starting out - how far do you Beyonce would have got without people like TT and Diana Ross paving the way for her - by the way what movie career has Beyonce had?
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    people ought to look up what the dictionary definition is of a 'legend' .... its being thrown around hap-hazzardly like a fashionable statement but in reality non of these artists are in any way, shape or form a 'legend'.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MikePJB wrote: »
    Well what other female is doing like she is right now? Dancing wise, singing wise and performance wise???? None.

Some of the hate is bloody ridiculous. I'm not saying it's you, just what I've read from certain people.

most other similar artists are doing the same thing as she does, and most other similar artists have done the same for the past 20 odd years

right now you have rihanna, lady gaga, katy perry, and going back a bit you have madonna, kylie, janet jackson

there's nothing new or special about what she's doing

she's not even that great a vocalist either, when it comes to the other autotune mtv rnb wannabes she's a better vocalist perhaps, but when you compare her to real artists for whom the music is the draw, she pales into insignificance. she's not a patch on janelle monae, jill scott, angie stone, eryka badu, india arie, jasmine sullivan, etc. those girls could sing her under the table

maybe some people get turned on by the dancing, like that was a draw for michael jackson fans, but there will come a time when she won't be able to prance about the stage in the same way and will have to rely on her voice. she may retire by then, have kids or whatever

look at whitney houston or lauren hill. things can easily go from number 1 to the bottom of the pile

when mariah loses her figure due to kids and can't/won't dance, she can rely on her voice, just as she did in her early career

perhaps because beyonce started in a girl band who's act was based around dancing to poppy tracks, that's the expectation that some fans have for her, but she is capable of more, and that's why people are making certain statements regarding backing tapes etc instead of singing choruses etc, as few credible artists do that. most credible artists put the music and performance first, and dancing, lights and everything else is secondary. janelle monae danced around like a mofo but she didn't leave any lines to memorex or backing singers. she had the right priorities

and when it comes to her recorded work, she really needs to do a lot better. she's relying on hit singles instead of albums. her albums have been very patchy. there's nothing on the new one that's outstanding that a regular person could say they really want to hear it again

if you take a similar male artist, justin timberlake who similarly came from a boy pop band, he had a few cracking singles, just like beyonce, but more importantly his solo album delivered, and he also delivered in live performance. he then amazed his critics by following up with more hit singles and a second strong album, then another great tour. who would have expected that from a solo member of nsync?

beyonce had a recognised talent in the band, but she hasn't used that to the full potential that some people consider she has

by that i mean that people who aren't fans and blinded by fantatisism, but can recognise talent, know she is capable of so much more. they aren't putting her down, they are saying she can do better than what the fans love her for
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    people ought to look up what the dictionary definition is of a 'legend' .... its being thrown around hap-hazzardly like a fashionable statement but in reality non of these artists are in any way, shape or form a 'legend'.

exactly. next someone will be saying tiffany and debbie gibson are legends
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beyonce isn't a legend. She's only 29 and her career is going strong, she's a great mover, a great vocalist and a fab personality - all in all a wonderful entertainer. Not a legend.

But she will be. She's the most talented young woman (IMO) in the pop charts at the moment. Many of her songs will stand the test of time and will become classics in the future.
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    I think it's just silly when people call people "legends". I mean, that's something you call someone like 30 years after their career started. Beyonce has been around for ages, but I think it's too soon. It's worse with Lady Gaga though, her career has bee like 5 times shorter than Beyonce's but she gets called stupid things like "legend", "Queen of pop", etc. too, which is ridiculous.

I don't think anybody in the charts today is a legend tbh. Except maybe like Dr. Dre or someone, but he is approaching 50 years old now...