Options

What makes Beyonce a 'legend'?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her over enthusiastic fans make her a 'legend'. She hasn't achieved half of what Madonna, Janet, MJ, etc. have. She's definitely an icon but I wouldn't put her in the same bracket as Janet, Madonna, Cher etc.
    She really does need to do something original/pioneering/truly iconic though to become legendary imo. She hasn't, yet.

That said, I think she is the only current female singer with the talent and drive/work ethic/commitment to earn legend status. GaGa has the drive but time will tell if she has the talent. Christina has the talent but doesn't have the same drive/work ethic. I thought Britney was heading for legend status but her career seems to be built solely on sympathy these days.
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    suniil wrote: »
    Beyonce is a very versatile Singer with extreme commitment to her job but not sure how to compare her to Gaga, who is a Musician

what makes gaga more of a musician. the fact that she also plays the piano? beyonce is as good a song writer. beyonces voice is her instrument. what a fantastic instrument it is too.
    Nothing makes her a legend.
    She performed like a dancing bear last night and I don't mean that in a facetious way either.

i disagree. her performance last night was fantastic. she completely blew the audience away. the sheer amount of strong material that she sang, is testimony to her continued longevity as a world class artist.

for me she is a legend. she is one of the few artists that can make a successful career. once breaking away from a group format.

she is a jack of all trades as an entertainer. however, she has successful mastered everything she turned her hands too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way she is respected and regarded within the music industry contributes IMO. Otherwise I'd say it's her immense talent and humbleness - it's led her to becoming an icon and I definitely believe she will reach legend status one day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    what makes gaga more of a musician. the fact that she also plays the piano? beyonce is as good a song writer. .

Isn't Beyonce infamous for stealing writing credits? Lots of her producers have gone on record to say that she doesn't write as much as she makes out to and a lot of the time song writing credit is given to her because she is A-List.

I agree that GaGa is a better musician and song writer, although Beyonce trumps her in terms of dancing/performance/vocals etc.
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    franster wrote: »
    Isn't Beyonce infamous for stealing writing credits? Lots of her producers have gone on record to say that she doesn't write as much as she makes out to and a lot of the time song writing credit is given to her because she is A-List.

I agree that GaGa is a better musician and song writer, although Beyonce trumps her in terms of dancing/performance/vocals etc.

that is interesting. i was not aware of these producers making such claims. i think gaga is a good musician. however, she would struggle to outdo madonna at this early stage. she needs a bit more longevity before people should make comparisons.

beyonce is the full package.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    She's not a legend YET. In the space of 10 years, she has not come close to what people like Mariah, Whitney, Madonna achieved in the same time frame.

I think she is 2 - 3 albums away.
  • Options
    GoldenBoy81GoldenBoy81 Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Gaspanic! wrote: »
    We all know she's a great singer, dancer and overall performer. My main problem is that when you look at her back catalogue, it's surprisingly bereft of good songs compared to Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, Rihanna and other very popular singers.

Opinions?

OP even as a big Beyonce fan I think you are entitled to question Beyonce's back catalogue. However, your choice of people to use for comparison is frankly a bit shocking :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Quite right. Now Ella Fitzgerald, Dionne Warwick, Barbra Streisand, Bette Midler, Diana Ross - you could call them legends, but Beyonce? Will she still be around in 5 years time? Probably not.

She's been around since 1997, ofc she will.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When did beyonce become a legend:confused:
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d3nium wrote: »
    That post makes no sense, and please learn some basic grammar.

if you don't understand basic english, who are you to query someones grammar?

you understood fine what i said. you're just to pig headed to want to accept it

seriously, i had no idea how absolutely mental beyonce fans are. it's like the childish crap that michael jackass fans spout, like the sun shines out her arse

she's a singer from a girl group gone solo. her singing isn't outstanding, her dancing isn't outstanding, her music isn't outstanding

she's popular because she looks good and had some decent producers knock up some popular tracks. that's it

if you think she's great, just wait till you find the world of music where you have truly talented singers who's popularity is based on musical talent

beyonce isn't a bad artist by any means, but the hysteria on this forum about her is bloody ridiculous
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Quite right. Now Ella Fitzgerald, Dionne Warwick, Barbra Streisand, Bette Midler, Diana Ross - you could call them legends, but Beyonce? Will she still be around in 5 years time? Probably not.

Want a bet?
  • Options
    MikePJBMikePJB Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    unique wrote: »
    if you don't understand basic english, who are you to query someones grammar?

you understood fine what i said. you're just to pig headed to want to accept it

seriously, i had no idea how absolutely mental beyonce fans are. it's like the childish crap that michael jackass fans spout, like the sun shines out her arse

she's a singer from a girl group gone solo. her singing isn't outstanding, her dancing isn't outstanding, her music isn't outstanding

she's popular because she looks good and had some decent producers knock up some popular tracks. that's it

if you think she's great, just wait till you find the world of music where you have truly talented singers who's popularity is based on musical talent

beyonce isn't a bad artist by any means, but the hysteria on this forum about her is bloody ridiculous

Well what other female is doing like she is right now? Dancing wise, singing wise and performance wise???? None.

Some of the hate is bloody ridiculous. I'm not saying it's you, just what I've read from certain people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    I certainly think she's stabbed a few people in the back and is ruthless in her quest for superstardom...

Because it's not like she's got talent or anything is it? :rolleyes:

You'd be hard pushed to find someone she's worked with say a bad word about her, thats rare for an artist as big as she is. Says a lot...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MikePJB wrote: »
    Well what other female is doing like she is right now? Dancing wise, singing wise and performance wise???? None.

Exactly.

No female artist has ever performed to that standard. All the legends from the past people have been mentioning are great singers (better than Beyonce) but Diana Ross, Streisand, Bette Middler, Etta James etc etc couldn't dance like that AND sing at the same time. Nobody has ever done what Beyonce is doing now.

Which is why she's a legend! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting points raised.

Lets take a look. Now i consider Beyonce to be a major Pop Icon alongside Britney Spears for the past decade PLUS for her output and her longevity THUS far.

Now what defines a legend in music? Someone who has had a massive input with their music, their art, their performances and achieved massive success.

Now for me Madonna is that standard setter. In 8 years look at the success Madonna had! Beyonce is actually quite close (the closest actually of ANY contemporary act) For starters Beyonce was in DC to establish herself and they were a popular band. Then her first solo album and B Day established Beyonce as a more "cult" figure. Then I Am....Sasha Fierce reflected Beyonce more than that, she was a Pop Icon and she reached new levels of fame and hype and her marriage with Jay Z etc. and her endorsements and continuous presence reflects this.

Madonna worked her ass off and pushed her debut out and made herself an iconic performer, and through Like A Virgin and True Blue made herself a Pop Icon. It was 7 years into her career with Like A Prayer she reached her first artistic peak with her Like A Prayer album.

Now Beyonce, i would not say her albums are on the SAME level, but she has ensured she garnered her fame and popularity....NOW Beyonce has performed at glasto to such a vast audience, her material on 4 i feel is her greatest yet (i would call it a masterpiece for this year personally) and has in my opinion showed that out of all her contemporaries Beyonce will be here this time in 2018....2030....etc.etc. I think she can change up her image a lot, her styles musically and in performance to ensure this. She isnt a "cultural fad" she IS a Pop Icon and can work to become a legend!

I reckon that in the next decade she will really push herself to be on that level of iconography like Madonna, MJ, Janet Jackson, Elvis etc. Because look at her and her popularity 14 years into her music career! (inc.DC obviously)

So yeah, in a nutshell she can compare to absolute music legends....she has established herself as a Pop Icon and her album "4" is setting her on such a peak! the journey is really at a high point now :cool:
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    i'm sure she will, and at some point she will be a legend, perhaps when half the names you've mentioned have died
    GOGO2 wrote: »
    Exactly.

No female artist has ever performed to that standard. All the legends from the past people have been mentioning are great singers (better than Beyonce) but Diana Ross, Streisand, Bette Middler, Etta James etc etc couldn't dance like that AND sing at the same time. Nobody has ever done what Beyonce is doing now.

Which is why she's a legend! :)

Errr, Tina Turner?
  • Options
    Ash's ManAsh's Man Posts: 7,165
    Forum Member
    Errr, Tina Turner?

Tina Turner was great but she was never on B's level. Beyonce does not put a foot out of place and her voice doesn't falter whether she's leaning back til her head touches the ground or twisting her neck at 100 miles an hour, her voice stays consistent.
  • Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I don't think Beyoncé is a legend, but I think she's on her way.:)
    I think the other people the OP mentioned are ridiculous in comparison.:confused:

Britney is a Legend, but a different type - a Pop Culture Legend, á la Marilyn Monroe. I love her, and she has produced some of the best Pop music from anyone, but it's not down to her talent, or lack thereof.

Lady GaGa is quite simply too recent.

Rihanna? Don't make me laugh.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think Beyoncé is a legend, but I think she's on her way.:)
    I think the other people the OP mentioned are ridiculous in comparison.:confused:

Britney is a Legend, but a different type - a Pop Culture Legend, á la Marilyn Monroe. I love her, and she has produced some of the best Pop music from anyone, but it's not down to her talent, or lack thereof.

Lady GaGa is quite simply too recent.

Rihanna? Don't make me laugh.:rolleyes:

BIB: Lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ash's Man wrote: »
    BIB: Lol.

Did you actually read the rest of the post or was that line like a red flag to a bull?:rolleyes:

I said a POP CULTURE LEGEND, not a MUSIC LEGEND.

There is a difference.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did you actually read the rest of the post or was that line like a red flag to a bull?:rolleyes:

I said a POP CULTURE LEGEND, not a MUSIC LEGEND.

There is a difference.:rolleyes:

The words legend and Britney in the same sentence is what made me laugh :D

You are easy to wind up :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Errr, Tina Turner?

Good one!
    I can't see why Beyonce can't be 'up there' with Tina Turner.
    Can you think of any others?

Tbh fair to Beyonce though, Tina Turners dance routines weren't to her standard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ash's Man wrote: »
    The words legend and Britney in the same sentence is what made me laugh :D

You are easy to wind up :p

I understand that you Stan for Beyoncé, and I'm fine with that, but if you can't offer at least a little objectivity in your posts, don't bother me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I understand that you Stan for Beyoncé, and I'm fine with that, but if you can't offer at least a little objectivity in your posts, don't bother me.

I've offered you objectivity before. We've agreed to disagree before. I've even said that Britney is a pop icon. Legend is pushing it a bit I feel. She hasn't done anything to warrant being referred to as a living legend IMO.
  • Options
    SuperwombleSuperwomble Posts: 4,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think legendary status can be attributed to people who cross the generation divide. This normally only applies to people who have been in the business a very long time and have an ability to sing and create music that enthrals not only their generation but that those that are older and younger.

The best way Beyonce fans could find out her musical status is to ask those that are not of their generation to name some of her hits. I'm not, and I can name only three - Crazy In Love, At Last (Which is a remake, but a pretty fine one) and Single Ladies.

I think she needs to have more than that to be remembered for posterity. As some have pointed out, she may yet contribute a great deal of memorable music, she certainly has the voice - but she hasnt yet, in my opinion.