Options

14 years since Princess Diana died.

Comments

• Options
    TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You only need to look at Harry to see he's Charles' son!

Even more so these days than ever!

Watch you dont trip over your guide dog ....:D
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    belfastkidbelfastkid Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quick!! Someone get the Daily Mail/Express on this fact!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't feel sad at all. When I heard she had died I just turned the radio off and went back to sleep. Then when I got up later I was pissed off both BBC 1 and BBC2 where ruined.

If she was alive today we would have another begging royal to feed and pay for.
    Totally agree. The royal family mean nothing to me and never will ....
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Exactly 14 years ago. Yet we are still plagued with articles about what she would have looked liked, how amazing she would have found Kate etc. .

Stop reading Hello magazine then.
  • Options
    egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it Diana's death that started the whole "blanket of flowers" at places of tragedy?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    egghead1 wrote: »
    Was it Diana's death that started the whole "blanket of flowers" at places of tragedy?

I don't recall where she died having blankets of flowers?
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was completely shocked that day when I got told that Princess Diana had been killed in a car crash. I couldn't believe it!
  • Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    sofieellis wrote: »
    So all those people, including Diana are special then.

The fact is, she could have chosen to to live a totally spoilt lifestyle, but instead she used her fame to promote charitable causes she felt strongly about. She managed to change public opinion and ignorance surrounding HIV/AIDS, just by publicly touching someone who had the disease. She did this at a time when people thought the disease could be passed by touch and people were terrified. She later did the same thing with a leper. She walked across a minefield to draw attention to the dangers and devastation that these weapons cause. She didn't have to do any of those things. The fact that she did, makes her special, IMHO. Just like others who do charitable work.

I see it the other way, she exploited charity to promote herself. She picked a cause celebre and aligned herself with it to make her look wonderful. I don't for one minute believe that she cared a damn about landmines or lepers or sufferes of HIV and AIDS except for what she could get out of it.

And she did lead a very spoilt lifestyle from the moment she was born until the moment that she died. It's nonsense to suggest otherwise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think it might have been. I don't recall seeing this happening when any other famous person died before her.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it didn't. I think it was the Hillsborough tragedy that began that.
  • Options
    sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marjangles wrote: »
    I see it the other way, she exploited charity to promote herself. She picked a cause celebre and aligned herself with it to make her look wonderful. I don't for one minute believe that she cared a damn about landmines or lepers or sufferes of HIV and AIDS except for what she could get out of it.

And she did lead a very spoilt lifestyle from the moment she was born until the moment that she died. It's nonsense to suggest otherwise.

Well, I disagree. Yes she had a spoilt lifestyle, but she could have chosen to only do those things which made her happy. Instead, she chose to spend some of her time helping others. If she had done it to raise her own profile, then she would have chosen more popular charities, but she didn't, she chose things that the public were uncomfortable with. Also, since she died, a lot of stories have come out about charitable things she did very privately, like visiting sick children in their homes, in private, away from the paps. Why would she have done those private good deeds if she didn't care?
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About time someone told the "Daily Express" then ;)

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/265480/Princess-Diana-s-secret-engagement

seems the express have cut back to once a week on princess Diana.:(:D
  • Options
    egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I was completely shocked that day when I got told that Princess Diana had been killed in a car crash. I couldn't believe it!

I was shocked because I heard newsflash before I went to bed Saturday night/Sunday morning, and it said she had a broken arm!
    Just shows how information gets distorted/made up in early news reports.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was shocked because I heard newsflash before I went to bed Saturday night/Sunday morning, and it said she had a broken arm!
    Just shows how information gets distorted/made up in early news reports.

I woke up late that morning so probably heard the news when they'd got all the facts.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Really? I remember her being a plain Jane and running around in a cheap mini metro, I'd hardly call that being spoiled.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My lasting memory is they cancelled all the football. Ruined my day:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    My lasting memory is they cancelled all the football. Ruined my day:(
    That was when we had that pratt Richard Madely urging the Scottish players not to turn up for a pointless match?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Time flies and I remember finding out the news so clearly although slightly in disbelief. I know people say "why be upset over someone you never met" but I couldn't help but feel sad.

Lets face it she was out for what she could get, Had she lived would she still be seen as some kind of saint? I doubt it.
  • Options
    IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In total agreement.
    sofieellis wrote: »
    Well, I disagree. Yes she had a spoilt lifestyle, but she could have chosen to only do those things which made her happy. Instead, she chose to spend some of her time helping others. If she had done it to raise her own profile, then she would have chosen more popular charities, but she didn't, she chose things that the public were uncomfortable with. Also, since she died, a lot of stories have come out about charitable things she did very privately, like visiting sick children in their homes, in private, away from the paps. Why would she have done those private good deeds if she didn't care?
    She couldn't have chosen to do only that which made her happy - charitable work is required of all members of the royal family. The Princess of Wales chose to support - and be seen to support - those charities which would earn her the most column inches.

In fact she cared so much that after she was stripped of her HRH title, she dropped most of them like the proverbial hot potato.

As for her private good deeds - if she really wanted her selflessness to remain private she wouldn't have tipped off the paps or got someone else to do it for her.
    Really? I remember her being a plain Jane and running around in a cheap mini metro, I'd hardly call that being spoiled.
    Well being given a £50,000 flat in Coleherne Court for her 18th birthday (back in 1979) hardly suggests a life of deprivation. To get it into perspective those flats currently sell for over £2 million.
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DarthGore wrote: »
    who cares??? she's dead... get over it!

I hope people say the same when you die :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »
    As for her private good deeds - if she really wanted her selflessness to remain private she wouldn't have tipped off the paps or got someone else to do it for her.

How do you know that she or a friend tipped off the tabloids?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    How do you know that she or a friend tipped off the tabloids?
    You know different?
  • Options
    BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    I dont miss her doe-eyed 'poor me' routines on TV to be honest.
This discussion has been closed.