Options

Did James think Gary was being homophobic or just too crude?

2»

Comments

• Options
    viewer123viewer123 Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iMatt_101 wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused as to what that was all about?

The nobody was trying to get some air time, by deliberately starting an argument with the biggest celebrity in the house.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Massive overreaction by James who well and truly let his nice guy mask slip.
  • Options
    Oracles_eyeOracles_eye Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rosie girl wrote: »
    I think you have hit the nail right on the head and I also side with James.

As do I.
  • Options
    scotslassiescotslassie Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Overreaction to a bad joke.

Could have been handled a lot better and with a lot less fuss.

Uncomfortable to watch.
  • Options
    Fairy WingsFairy Wings Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    If Gary hadn't have said 'butt f*cked’ I think James may have taken it better. It was the explicitness of Gary's turn of phrase that irked James.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he thought he was being crude.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I saw was.

Gary made a remark that was a bit over the lone.

Being a dancer James has probably been subject to all sorts of "homosexual" labels, many I would guess are homophobic.

But why would Gary joke in such a specific way about a married man, he didn't call him gay, he called him a closet gay who would enjoy such things.

My guess is James can take being thought of as gay but can not handle being thought of as a gay man pretending to be straight. ( Ola IS HOT & I am a straight female:D)

May be Gary didn't say anything too offensive in the normal run of the mill, but he had only met the guy 24 hours earlier & should not have gone that far.

"Oh He is American" When in Rome etc.

Mr Unjoyful is at present moving into the spare room as he sided with Gary.

I side with James :D

Agreed with you! Gary went wayyyy too far, borderline aggressive - especially when he went up to James and demanded that he stand up.
  • Options
    MaisieMooMooMaisieMooMoo Posts: 1,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overreaction to a bad joke.

Could have been handled a lot better and with a lot less fuss.

Uncomfortable to watch.

I agree, James went on and on trying to belittle Gary and Gary came back with aggression.
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    For what it is worth, in my opinion, this was a total storm in a tea cup and both were wrong. This is my interpretation

James and Leslie were having a joke. Gary walks in and tries to get involved but misunderstands the premise of the joke. He misses the search/medical exam joke ( maybe he hadn't noticed the gloves) and assumed a homosexual joke. In that respect he was mistaken (or if you prefer in the wrong)

So he cracks a joke that he think fits the theme but it doesn't quite and he also delivers it in a tone which is ambiguous. IS he joking or is he serious??

in James' mind it does quite fit, but James continues to try to keep the spirit of jokey banter up. But he isn't sure if the comment is malevolent or not.. I think James was still joking at the point where he said he'd never hit a 70 year old man. I think that was intended to be humour. But it wasn't funny any more than Gary's opening line was funny.

Basically they were at crossed purposes right from the very start, because each had a very different perception of the scenario. The longer it went on the further and further their paths divided. James didn't get the humour in Gary's opening remark because Gary's gag didn't fit the set up. But rather than stop he tried to keep going with the humorous intention.

Gary tries to build on his first gag and in an attempt to ride the comedic wave, overeggs it. James can't reconcile Gary's remarks with the premise of the joke he was having. So as Gary adds more and more lines, by the time it gets to the vaseline line, he starts to conclude it is a personal attack and eventually he reacts to perceived provocation.

Pure misunderstanding before, during and after the fact. In my view. Neither right neither wrong.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I side with James. Gary might have meant what he said as a joke, but he wasn't smiling and it didn't sound like he was trying to be funny to me. He insinuated in a serious tone that James was a closet gay who came equipped with tubes of lube and his whole life is a farce. I wouldn't have take that as a joke either.
  • Options
    J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For what its worth in my opinion this was a total storm in a tea cup and both were wrong. This is my interpretation

James and Leslie were having a joke. Gary walks in and tries to get involved but misunderstands the premise of the joke. He misses the search/medical exam joke ( maybe he hadn't noticed the gloves) and assumed a homosexual joke. In that respect he was mistaken (or if you prefer in the wrong)

So he cracks a joke that he think fits the theme but it doesn't quite and he also delivers it in a tone which is ambiguous. IS he joking or is he serious??

in James' mind it does quite fit but James continues to try to keep the spirit of jokey banter up. But he isn't sure if the comment is malevolent or not.. I think James was still joking at the point where he said he'd never hit a 70 year old man. I think that was intended to be humour. But it wasn't funny any more than Gary's opening line was funny.

Basically they were at crossed purposes right from the very start and because each had a very different perception of the scenario. The longer it went on the further and further their paths divided. James didn't get the humour in Gary's opening remark because Gary's gag didn't fit the set up. But rather than stop tried to keep going witht he humorous intention.

Gary tries to build on his first gag and in an attempt to ride the comedic wave, overeggs it. James can't reconcile Gary's remarks with the premise of the joke he was having. So as Gary adds more and more lines, by the time it gets to the vaseline line, he starts to conclude it is a personal attack and eventually he reacts to perceived provocation.

Pure misunderstanding before, during and after the fact. In my view. Neither right neither wrong.

Spot on! You have described exactly what I saw too - but put more eloquently than I managed last night with my other half.
    I thought they had settled it when James went out to speak to Gary and then Gary came in - all macho - and told James to stand up - because he said so! That was unnecessary and aggressive. I am not a fan of James - really needs to keep his mouth in check - but Gary seems to have no filter or boundaries. Yes I know about his problems but does he? I found it all very uncomfortable to watch.
  • Options
    mz fitmz fit Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes James is comfortable with his sexuality as a straight heterosexual man. Gary's "Joke" implied he was nothing of the sort but a closet Gay man.

It also implied indirectly that his marriage to Ola was something of a smoke screen. It may have been a joke but in very very bad taste & James is not at fault for taking offence

I have to say I agree with this all the way. Gary is hard to 'read', but just what he was saying was out of context with what was going on. James and Leslie were kind of camping it up and all of a sudden Gary is taking it to a whole cruder level. If he had done or said something in the same tone as James and Leslie then I think it all would have been fine.
  • Options
    Fairy WingsFairy Wings Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    J.R wrote: »
    Spot on! You have described exactly what I saw too - but put more eloquently than I managed last night with my other half.
    I thought they had settled it when James went out to speak to Gary and then Gary came in - all macho - and told James to stand up - because he said so! That was unnecessary and aggressive. I am not a fan of James - really needs to keep his mouth in check - but Gary seems to have no filter or boundaries. Yes I know about his problems but does he? I found it all very uncomfortable to watch.

Also, twice James offered a handshake out to Gary, who promptly ignored the it. Gary maybe deaf but he ain't blind.