grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,957
    Forum Member
    No, I'm elderly, no use pretending.
  • Options
    pauljoansspauljoanss Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clara28 wrote: »
    It's all very subjective isn't it? You don't think David Morrissey is very attractive, lots of people do. I thought he looked swoonsome in this programme. Likewise I think Sheridan Smith is a pretty girl, but in an unremarkable kind of way, and that isn't meant as any kind of criticism.

I completely understand why she fell for him.

Ohm, I think the difference between me and you is that I am male and therefore do not generally find men attractive. As a man I found SS VERY attractive and you as a women thought she was not remarkable. That's how the natural world works.
    Maybe I have learned something and should think of growing a greying beard to attract the opposite sex. I always thought it would be a big turn off.
    Yes it is very subjective and very dependent on your sexual orientation.
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,957
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    That sounds like the perspective of someone in their teens.

As a 41 (and a half) year old there no way I consider myself "middle aged", even if statistically I am half way through my life.

These are just labels, and really don't matter. It's how you feel that matters. I was a grandad at 41, a label which freaks a lot of younger grandparents out. As for what is elderly, the common definition is between middle-age and old age. I don't know where else 60 would fit. I'm past 60, fit, all my own teeth etc. but I have to accept that I will be described as elderly, bus pass, winter fuel allowance and all.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grauniad wrote: »
    60 and over I would say is elderly, 35-40 is middle-aged, and 49 is late middle-aged. Unless of course one is 50ish, in which case it's not late. 😉

I avoid the bus seats at the front in case I have to give it up if "an elderly person needs it". And I'm 70.
  • Options
    rovermacrovermac Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barbra wrote: »
    What works for me -
    1. Tall, hunky David
    2. Mood music esp love scenes, parting scenes
    3. Furry cat

Shouldn't that be a rabbit?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chaz rich wrote: »
    So most men are that shallow that they would only find her attractive because she is an actress :confused:

No, I find her attractive full stop!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously? I'm amazed that men think she's anything special. If she wasn't an actress/famous (that adds a lot of glamour) you wouldn't look at her if she passed you in the street. She's a nice girl though - very self-effacing and modest in interviews.

Thanks for telling me how I would act if i saw her in the street, but do you know me?, and yes I would look at her she is stunning.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1) i only saw the second part of this but i loved it.
    2) i find DM very lovely, yes please, thank you very much.
    3) in 1999 I worked on an exhibition about age that stated that scientifically middle ages started at 49 (but didn't say when it turned into old age).
    4) my mum was old a 37, I am 38 and not even middle aged.
    5) see point 2.
    6) SS does come over as a lovely person but I think her face is starting to look like shes had some work done (goodness knows why though as she quite pretty).
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can seewhat men see in Sheriden smith shes very pretty and she looks like she would be both really dirty in bed and a good laugh to go out with , and I say that as a very straight woman a lot of good lookers both men and women have an air of Im gorgeous but boring she doesnt have that
  • Options
    clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else who decides they fancy David Morrissey can get to the back of the queue!

And take a seat, I may be a while.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can seewhat men see in Sheriden smith shes very pretty and she looks like she would be both really dirty in bed and a good laugh to go out with , and I say that as a very straight woman a lot of good lookers both men and women have an air of Im gorgeous but boring she doesnt have that

BIB - I think that sums her up perfectly. :blush:
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can most of this thread be about the attractiveness, or lack thereof, of Sheridan Smith...

Marathoned this tonight and it was engrossing from start to finish. A little clichéd with the embrace in the park and the morning sickness, etc. but I think the characters' reactions were realistic for the most part.

Sheridan's "We were better on the train" speech was sad and really the crux of the drama. Also enjoyed how Olivia Colman can be in for a total of about ten minutes and as an actor still demand your empathy. She is so good! :cool:

Not sure about the epilogue, though - why was the daughter reading lines? Or was she into the theatre biz, too?
  • Options
    lindenlealindenlea Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »
    How can most of this thread be about the attractiveness, or lack thereof, of Sheridan Smith...

To be fair, quite a lot of it is about the attractiveness, or lack thereof, of David Morrissey too. :D

Not sure about the epilogue, though - why was the daughter reading lines? Or was she into the theatre biz, too?

I thought it was just school work for English Lit ... it may be significant that she is reading one of Juliet's speeches (from R&J, Act 3, scene 2) in which she is impatiently waiting for Romeo to arrive to consummate their marriage.

Edit: Doomed love and all that. :)
  • Options
    Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMO, A very enjoyable & engrossing drama - beautifully acted with a thought provoking ending.....

Amazed at the amount of viewers discussing SS's bits - or, in this case.....the absence of....:D
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO, A very enjoyable & engrossing drama - beautifully acted with a thought provoking ending.....

Amazed at the amount of viewers discussing SS's bits - or, in this case.....the absence of....:D

Never happened to me on the Gatwick express did it CC? That's because I didn't bump into you though did I? ;):D:D
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure that I entirely bought the happy family at the end, though I thought it was clever to make it initially look as if he hadn't been forgiven.
  • Options
    GeorgiecatsGeorgiecats Posts: 6,628
    Forum Member
    David Morrisey looks like a disgruntled badger.
    As opposed to a disappointed horse. (Little Britain). Or an angry owl in the biscuit cupboard. (PG Tips adverts).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    I'm not sure that I entirely bought the happy family at the end, though I thought it was clever to make it initially look as if he hadn't been forgiven.
    Very annoying ending IMO. Gives married men who have affairs the green light to carry on cos wifey will forgive you and you had your fun and it all ended up okay in the end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    clara28 wrote: »
    Anyone else who decides they fancy David Morrissey can get to the back of the queue!

And take a seat, I may be a while.
    Safe with me I wouldn't even bother joining a Q for him. Felt nothing at all for him. His character was a wimp as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Very annoying ending IMO. Gives married men who have affairs the green light to carry on cos wifey will forgive you and you had your fun and it all ended up okay in the end.

They could have just given a hint that all had not been forgiven yet, something that didn't trivialise his affair or make the wife look weak.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Safe with me I wouldn't even bother joining a Q for him. Felt nothing at all for him. His character was a wimp as well.

He had a much less sympathetic character. In Sheridan's case, her character was in an unhappy relationship so it's no wonder that she was drawn to another man, whereas Carl is happily married. His life may not be very exciting but not really an excuse to cheat!
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    He had a much less sympathetic character. In Sheridan's case, her character was in an unhappy relationship so it's no wonder that she was drawn to another man, whereas Carl is happily married. His life may not be very exciting but not really an excuse to cheat!

Exactly, I wouldn't be interested in sloppy seconds from either angle.
  • Options
    mccaffepmccaffep Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    Who was the man Sally met on the railway platform at the end ? It didn't look like Sean Maguire ?
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mccaffep wrote: »
    Who was the man Sally met on the railway platform at the end ? It didn't look like Sean Maguire ?

It was her new boyfriend/ husband. She dumped Sean Maguires character.
  • Options
    mccaffepmccaffep Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    It was her new boyfriend/ husband. She dumped Sean Maguires character.

Thanks for your answer. Was this mentioned on screen ?