Options

'The 7.39' New 2 Part BBC Romantic Drama Starts 6th Jan 9pm

Comments

• Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    CABINET wrote: »
    I see David Morrissey was born in 1964 so her comments that he seemed too young to have a 17 year child are just a bit ridiculous. He might be a bit too young to have a grandchild of that age.

He's attractive enough but he certainly looks his age.

I think she must have meant 'seemed young' in an abstract way, or just that she couldn't imagine him having a kid almost adult age. Probably being attracted to him meant that she imagined he was younger than he blatantly is.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The hair dye should have given her a clue.
  • Options
    pauljoansspauljoanss Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed this drama and found some scenes very hard to watch, eg when he had to tell his children. But did not find it easy fo understand why someone as attractive as Sally should fall for a late middle age man with grey beard and miserable expression.
    Sheridan Smith is stunning, I cannot understand how anyone can say otherwise. Had a look at some pics on google and most were not as good as she came over on this drama. Looking at Wikipedia it is amazing the number of roles she has played for such a young actor. I first noticed her as the girlfriend in The Royal Family and she was good then. Also remember her amazing rap with Smithie in Gavin and Stacy.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dsimiller wrote: »
    It looked like Embankment Gardens opposite Waterloo.

Yes, it looked very much like Embankment Gardens, between Temple and Embankment stations.
  • Options
    Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pauljoanss wrote: »
    Really enjoyed this drama and found some scenes very hard to watch, eg when he had to tell his children. But did not find it easy fo understand why someone as attractive as Sally should fall for a late middle age man with grey beard and miserable expression.
    Sheridan Smith is stunning, I cannot understand how anyone can say otherwise. Had a look at some pics on google and most were not as good as she came over on this drama. Looking at Wikipedia it is amazing the number of roles she has played for such a young actor. I first noticed her as the girlfriend in The Royal Family and she was good then. Also remember her amazing rap with Smithie in Gavin and Stacy.

What are you on about?

Shes 32 and he's 49? How is that 'late middle age'?

The difference isn't even that great in real terms.
  • Options
    RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the worst pieces of television. Really? Have you seen Atlantis?

Yeah and maybe take in a few of 'The One Show'.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,589
    Forum Member
    KMKYWAP wrote: »
    She was saying sorry to Carl because he had just been caught by his wife.

I didn't understand how she knew that was Maggie? Had she seen a picture of her before that?
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I didn't understand how she knew that was Maggie? Had she seen a picture of her before that?

That's why I said it was ambiguous. She might have seen a picture, but we don't know that. She might have guessed, but we don't know that. My guess is that something was cut from the final version but the "I'm so sorry" line was left in. But we don't know that either.
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Sally knew it was Carl's wife because he would have shown her family photos at some time during their friendship. And/or she may have guessed from his wife's body language (standing in the park and looking at them shocked/angry).

She said "I'm so sorry" to Carl (in the same way people say it when they commiserate) because she spotted his wife and realised, from that point on, his life and his family were about to fall apart, all because of their involvement.

I'm certain she didn't tell Carl's wife. She would have no reason to do that. Carl's wife was already suspicious (as she was about to check his phone before he left for London) and presumably followed them.
  • Options
    clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pauljoanss wrote: »

It's all very subjective isn't it? You don't think David Morrissey is very attractive, lots of people do. I thought he looked swoonsome in this programme. Likewise I think Sheridan Smith is a pretty girl, but in an unremarkable kind of way, and that isn't meant as any kind of criticism.

I completely understand why she fell for him.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clara28 wrote: »
    It's all very subjective isn't it? You don't think David Morrissey is very attractive, lots of people do. I thought he looked swoonsome in this programme. Likewise I think Sheridan Smith is a pretty girl, but in an unremarkable kind of way, and that isn't meant as any kind of criticism.

Me too! :blush::D

And anyone who wants to see 'bad' David Morrissey should catch him in The Walking Dead ... :o
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clara28 wrote: »

And me!!! I love his eyes, his mouth, his height ...." Everything really.:D
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was watching last night's episode with the view to seeing if like others on here I thought it was made in 16:9 then made closed matte but I don't think it was.

I would love to see more dramas shot in this aspect ratio, it really looked great in some of the wide shots of the train and in the outdoor shots
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    solare wrote: »
    I think Sally knew it was Carl's wife because he would have shown her family photos at some time during their friendship.

Really? Surely he'd want to play it down?
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it, under sufferance because my wife wanted to see it, and it was actually better than I had expected.
    Must admit, given that it was 2 hours, and spread over two night, I was expecting something dreadful to happen. In the end it was pretty much true to life, stuff happens and then it's back to the monotony.

I was kind of hoping that he'd completely lose it and beat his vile little boss to a bloody pulp, but I guess it wasn't that kind of drama. :)
  • Options
    snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgot to say that I struggled with the last scene where she is seen with the baby and a new beau. Pregnant women and those with small babies are hardly attractive prospects and also the baby soon results in a housebound life. I fail to see how this happened in the circumstances.
  • Options
    chrishartxxchrishartxx Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    snoweyowl wrote: »
    Forgot to say that I struggled with the last scene where she is seen with the baby and a new beau. Pregnant women and those with small babies are hardly attractive prospects and also the baby soon results in a housebound life. I fail to see how this happened in the circumstances.

They usually have their mums look after their babies while they're out with their new beau. I knew someone who met and married her husband before her child from a previous relationship was even a year old.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are you on about?

Shes 32 and he's 49? How is that 'late middle age'?

The difference isn't even that great in real terms.

Forty nine is late middle aged, though. Unless you think you're going to live past a hundred.

I agree that 32 and 49 is not much of an age gap at that age. Seventeen years when you're 17 and the other person is 34 is a lot. Similarly when you're 50 and your other half is 67, that's a lot, too.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    Forty nine is late middle aged, though. Unless you think you're going to live past a hundred.

I agree that 32 and 49 is not much of an age gap at that age. Seventeen years when you're 17 and the other person is 34 is a lot. Similarly when you're 50 and your other half is 67, that's a lot, too.

An often quoted rule of thumb is that the minimum age to have a relationship with is "half your age plus 7" http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Half-age-plus-seven-relationship-rule.svg
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,905
    Forum Member
    Servalan wrote: »
    Me too! :blush::D

And anyone who wants to see 'bad' David Morrissey should catch him in The Walking Dead ... :o
    I really did keep waiting for him to lop someone's head off :D Seriously though, it was nice to see him play a polar opposite from the Governor.
  • Options
    Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »

So whats 55? 60? 64?

it is not late middle age. It is middle age.

Most consider 40s the onset of middle age, some not until 45. So how can 49 be late middle age when its still the same decade.

sorry about someone calling 49 late middle age is one of the most ludicrous things I've read on here.

Being literal with average life expectancy isnt the point.
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,966
    Forum Member
    60 and over I would say is elderly, 35-40 is middle-aged, and 49 is late middle-aged. Unless of course one is 50ish, in which case it's not late. 😉
  • Options
    cgkcgk Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snoweyowl wrote: »

My best mate met his wife when her daughter was six months old, I was best man at their wedding last year.
  • Options
    cuzacuza Posts: 1,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grauniad wrote: »
    60 and over I would say is elderly, 35-40 is middle-aged, and 49 is late middle-aged. Unless of course one is 50ish, in which case it's not late. 😉

Im sorry but no way would I class 35 as being middle aged for God's sake! I think you're being a bit too literal here!

I would class 35 as still young. Not very young,it's true, but still relatively young.

And 60 is elderly?! It probably was years ago but not now.

I'm 58, in good nick and I would be outraged if someone called me elderly!

My skin is good, I colour my hair, still have all my own teeth, wear make up and like to dress nice. I've also had a couple of younger boyfriends and have a young mindset.

I'm not ready yet for a grey, curly perm, lavender perfume and socks with sandals!

With these views I can't help but wonder how old you are.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grauniad wrote: »
    60 and over I would say is elderly, 35-40 is middle-aged, and 49 is late middle-aged.

That sounds like the perspective of someone in their teens.

As a 41 (and a half) year old there no way I consider myself "middle aged", even if statistically I am half way through my life.