Options

Cat banned from Tesco by H & S officials

Comments

• Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not hygienic to have animals roaming free around food products, cats carry a lot of disease (notably toxoplasmosis) and parasites.

Assistance dogs are carefully trained so as not be a problem when in public.

Cats should be contained to their owner's property, end of, your pet, your problem,
  • Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    Muze wrote: »
    It's not hygienic to have animals roaming free around food products, cats carry a lot of disease (notably toxoplasmosis) and parasites.

Assistance dogs are carefully trained so as not be a problem when in public.

Cats should be contained to their owner's property, end of, your pet, your problem,

In your opinion - but not in the opinion of the law of this country.

Cats have the legal right to roam and people who don't like that can take appropriate and humane measures (I know you hate roaming cats and brag about what you have/would do to them) to stop cats 'trespassing' on their property. The onus is on the people who don't want cats on their property, not the owners, to take the appropriate action to deter them.

People like you who don't like the law can't keep stating your own opinion as a fact, ''end of'', ''your cat, your problem''. The law supports the owners of free roaming cats.

As for the comment about disease, the risk of transmission from cat to human is very rare and cats in general do not ''carry a lot of disease''.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Bingo! It's cats crapping in the garden time again. I feed my cats laxative and make sure they crap all over next door's precious lawn. Needless to say, I have the last laugh. I am the late John Aspinall and my cats are Siberian Tigers! Do I win £5?

LOL. Now the cat nutters (on both sides) will be out in force.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It should be put down.
  • Options
    cressida100cressida100 Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    If rats in the bakery aisle are a problem, perhaps it would make sense to introduce some sort of predator of rats to keep their numbers down?

^^^^^^^^^ This. Clever!
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    It should be put down.

Given what Tesco's had in their lasagne, I'm surprised its survived hanging around one of their stores this long:cool:
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    Given what Tesco's had in their lasagne, I'm surprised its survived hanging around one of their stores this long:cool:

Hello, i'm Mr. Ed.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh i've seen that cat, my mum shops at that tescos store, very friendly cat. Usually sits in the foyer.

According to my mum this morning, it's back in the store.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    There was a live-in cat at Southend Victoria station. Unlike the Tesco cat, it didn't have a proper home - it had walked into the station one day as a stray. It lived there for years with the staff feeding it, and was a common sight on the platforms and commuters used to stroke it etc.... until one day Network Rail said it had to go (based on the usual dubious Health & Safety rules). The coffee shop in the station put up a petition and Network Rail backed down - the cat continued to live in the station.

I don't know if it is still there (it must be really elderly if it is), but it must have lived there for at least a decade. I saw it two times I happened to pass through the station, about 4 years apart, and it was old news and had been there "years" the first time I saw it!
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair the cat is not spending anything in there, that's all they will be interested about
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sambda wrote: »
    There was a live-in cat at Southend Victoria station. Unlike the Tesco cat, it didn't have a proper home - it had walked into the station one day as a stray. It lived there for years with the staff feeding it, and was a common sight on the platforms and commuters used to stroke it etc.... until one day Network Rail said it had to go (based on the usual dubious Health & Safety rules). The coffee shop in the station put up a petition and Network Rail backed down - the cat continued to live in the station.

I don't know if it is still there (it must be really elderly if it is), but it must have lived there for at least a decade. I saw it two times I happened to pass through the station, about 4 years apart, and it was old news and had been there "years" the first time I saw it!

I've seen that cat as well :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    oh i've seen that cat, my mum shops at that tescos store, very friendly cat. Usually sits in the foyer.

According to my mum this morning, it's back in the store.

Great news :kitty:
  • Options
    Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    I've seen that cat as well :)

A few years ago we used to have this little ginger cat wandering into our car park.
    It was funny to see some of my big macho 'don't f-cking mess with me' colleagues crouch down for a minute or so to give said cat a bit of love and attention.
    They (rather uninspired) called him Dave. 'Dave' did have a home just around the corner, but I guess wanderlust got the better of him and he just loved getting all this attention and fuss from his nearby neighbours.
    One particularly cold winter night I came in for a late shift, and noticed that someone had actually built a nest for little Dave in the backyard. And there he was, all curled up and happy under a makeshift tent and a handwritten sign that read "Dave. Do Not Disturb."

There is some hope for mankind :kitty:
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few years ago we used to have this little ginger cat wandering into our car park.
    It was funny to see some of my big macho 'don't f-cking mess with me' colleagues crouch down for a minute or so to give said cat a bit of love and attention.
    They (rather uninspired) called him Dave. 'Dave' did have a home just around the corner, but I guess wanderlust got the better of him and he just loved getting all this attention and fuss from his nearby neighbours.
    One particularly cold winter night I came in for a late shift, and noticed that someone had actually built a nest for little Dave in the backyard. And there he was, all curled up and happy under a makeshift tent and a handwritten sign that read "Dave. Do Not Disturb."

Lovely story which reminded me of a local Builders Merchants i would go to for materials. All blokes there similar description to your work colleagues. One day i was talking to one of them outside about some wood i needed when this fox casually strolled across the yard. :o

I stared and said, 'i've just spotted a fox come into your yard', and he turned to look and said, "oh that's Maisy...she lives here and recently had two cubs so we've built her a place but we don't tell anyone exactly where it is for obvious reasons". They looked after her and made sure she always had plenty of food and warmth. :)

Now for all you cat lovers.....what do you think of this little beauty? :)

http://oi58.tinypic.com/17w95k.jpg

http://oi61.tinypic.com/4r2hxv.jpg

http://oi59.tinypic.com/10z9xud.jpg
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    She looks like she has bat ears like my Sphynx (name not breed lol) does. She's almost 5 and her ears still don't fit her head, but that may be because she's quite a sleek cat in blacks and browns with a tiger print coat. Her sister (and littermate) is a big fluffy thing with Calico markings, but she occasionally develops these little "owl peaks" on top of her ears. Quite cute.

I'm wondering if this Tesco is similar to other Tescos I've visited. There's usually a discarded half-eaten sandwich, something from the hot counter and/or various other snacks littering the store outside, courtesy of the lunch time rush. If this is a food motivated cat it's probably realised that there's a plentiful supply of junk food, and he knows the humans are his meal ticket, quite literally. I dare say he doesn't even have to humiliate himself doing the "sad eyes" either, and probably now believes he's entitled to tid bits by default.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There is indeed - thanks for relaying that :)
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Lovely story which reminded me of a local Builders Merchants i would go to for materials. All blokes there similar description to your work colleagues. One day i was talking to one of them outside about some wood i needed when this fox casually strolled across the yard. :o

I stared and said, 'i've just spotted a fox come into your yard', and he turned to look and said, "oh that's Maisy...she lives here and recently had two cubs so we've built her a place but we don't tell anyone exactly where it is for obvious reasons". They looked after her and made sure she always had plenty of food and warmth. :)

http://oi58.tinypic.com/17w95k.jpg

http://oi61.tinypic.com/4r2hxv.jpg

http://oi59.tinypic.com/10z9xud.jpg

Another great story :)

Cat looks like a silver tabby.
  • Options
    GibsonGirlGibsonGirl Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you either allow animals [excluding service dogs] into food outlets or you don`t, i vote for don`t. if the cat is that well loved and worried over why hasn`t someone taken him in?

Well humans are animals too and you are far more likely to catch something off another human than a non human animal!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i wonder how many in favour of cats in shops would change their tune if they got their shopping home to find it stinking of cat piss. or poo in the potatoes. :p:o:D

I wonder how aware you are of the fact that many people do NOT wash their hands after using the toilet, picking their nose or changing a nappy. Then they go and handle things that YOU will buy! I just wonder how often YOU have come into contact with goods that have trace amounts of human urine, faeces and saliva.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    GibsonGirl wrote: »
    I wonder how aware you are of the fact that many people do NOT wash their hands after using the toilet, picking their nose or changing a nappy. Then they go and handle things that YOU will buy! I just wonder how often YOU have come into contact with goods that have trace amounts of human urine, faeces and saliva.

seems like a particularly good idea not to add cat shit to the list when you put it like that.
  • Options
    I-poo-rainbowsI-poo-rainbows Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    My local bingo has a cat that hangs around outside and has a food bowl. This is one of the ways certain animals became pets in the first place, so it's not surprising that it still happens.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another great story :)

Cat looks like a silver tabby.
    She's got a seriously famous pedigree actually and surprised nobody recognised. She comes from this line here.

She isn't mine though.....she belongs to a neighbour and i 'baby sit' a couple of times a week as she works full time.

I call her 'Miss Chief' as she's always poking around in something and likes a good nosey around my house, but also gives me the runaround too! :D:D
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Tesco stores don't have a 'lobby'

Cats are quite capable of living outdoors and if anyone is that worried I'm sure it can be given a home with a family to look after it, a supermarket that sells food is not really the place for stray cats or any feral animals.

Mine does and so does my local Morrisons. Said puss could have stayed in a comfy cat bed in the supermarket lobby area.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just think you can't criticise a food store for keeping stray animals out, particularly as it is where everyone enters and exits, treads through and where people put bags of shopping down while people wait for taxis, or while a family member gets the car etc.

It is not an area you want cat piss or stray animals rolling around, it is meant to be a hygienic area not an area you want to encourage feral animals to be. Put an area for it elsewhere or give it a proper home, not a food supermarket.

He has got a proper home. The supermarket is his second home.
    The need to make 'reasonable adjustments' under the Disability Discrimination Act. It's a special case that doesn't apply to any old feral that wants to walk around a food supermarket.

Next this lot will be advocating putting saucers of milk out for the rats that have taken up home in the bakery aisle. I know people are cat lovers, but strays don't have a place in food shops, sorry.

The Disability Discrimination Act 1995 has been superseded by the Equality Act 2010.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Warm, dry and plenty of food! ;-)

I love cats, but a shop selling food is not the right place for a cat. It's not the right place for one of the neighbours' dogs to wander around. It's not the right place for someone's racing pigeons to practice "circuits and bumps".

What about all the humans that don't wash their hands after using the toilet, etc, who then go on and handle stuff that you will buy? What about all the loose bakery items (like rolls and croissants) that can be coughed and sneezed on?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great news :kitty:

Sorry, but why is it great news that an animal is practically living in a supermarket?

I wonder if the cat has ever marked it's territory? Asides from the potential health risks of a cat spraying piss everywhere, why should those with a cat phobia be forced to shop elsewhere just because a blasted cat is living in their local supermarket?