Options

The baby boom thread (part 2)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,851
Administrator
Miss jef I know how you feel re the breastfeeding guilt. I too feel like a bit of a failure because I chose to give up, but I do know it was absolutely the right choice for my family as a whole. I have to admit, and I feel ashamed to say it, that I've been finding visiting this thread difficult the last week or so as everybody seems so happy and idyllic. Much as I feel delighted and blessed with my beautiful wonderful family and I am absolutely in love with my children, I have the green eyed monster for how happy everyone else seems to feel. I think my infection ans mastitis have taken the shine off a bit for me.

Bug I am delighted for all you lovely ladies with your gorgeous little ones :)
    Admin Notice: This thread is a continuation of: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1503836

Comments

• Options
      miss-kittymiss-kitty Posts: 1,518
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      oooh, look at this, we have so many posts we have a part two! :eek:

Mrs_Buckley, I felt the same when I gave up breastfeeding my boys. I wish I'd kept trying, but like you, I know it was the right choice, I was getting so unhappy with my lack of milk, it was affecting us all. looking back, I suspect most of my problem was all the stress I was under. I will always feel guilty I think. BUT my boys are happy and healthy, and they did get the colustrum at the beginning, which is the best bit isn't it?
      Elijah will have got all that goodness too.
    • Options
      alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Wow part 2, well done ladies:)

Mrs Buckley please don't feel too downhearted, you have had some rough times since your little boy arrived - onwards and upwards eh?
    • Options
      FanielleFanielle Posts: 1,251
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Aaah I feel bad now :( I made the choice to breastfeed just as others made the choice to bottle/ change/ combine.. We all want what's best for our babies and what's best for them is what's best for you. I can't imagine how I'd breastfeed if I had a toddler.. I certainly couldn't breastfeed if I was ill, I couldn't do it when my gallbladder flared up. A big part of me breastfeeding is the fact I'm too lazy and love my sleep too much. I also can't wait to start expressing and letting my partner take some feeding responsibility. After a long, hard night feed I have to take myself in the garden for five minutes just to have some me time!

We're having some wind problems in our house. Theo seems like he's really struggling to fart. Everybody keeps telling me breastfed babies shouldn't have much wind so I'm either doing something wrong or there's more to it? Could the antibiotics I'm on be causing this? It's horrible to see him in pain.. But boy when he does fart we all know about it!
    • Options
      Miss NMiss N Posts: 2,639
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Oooh, part 2!!

Breastfeeding is not for everyone and nobody should feel guilty that they didn't try it. I think the only reason I chose to breastfeed is because I had watched my sister do it. However, our other sister didn't want to nor did my sister in law.

Mrs B - you gave your Son a good start from the b/feeding you did in his first few weeks, so don't feel guilty. You have been through a lot and yes it does take the shine off it. I felt like Miss Kitty etc when I had my first baby but my second baby was such a traumatic birth and I was ill afterwards for over a month. I had to get on with things when all my helpers went away and I struggled on but then at xmas that year I just felt so drained and ill. I have often looked back on that time and wondered if I had PND, but I never went to the Dr's which I should have done. I felt like I didn't bond with my second child because I felt so ill. I think motherhood is made to make us feel guilty!

Misjef - so glad you are feeling better about things. My Dad died last year and I would have felt so sad if he never got to meet my children so I imagine it must be hard for you that your Nana never got to meet Theo. My firstborn made my husband's Nana a Great Grandma - she was so proud, but sadly she died before my daugther's first birthday, but we have photos of her and we tell our children about her. When my daughter was a bit older we took her to the grave and explained that that is where great grandma is asleep. On the way home she said 'does great grandma have a quilt in the ground'?!!

Lily - glad to hear she turned herself! Good luck!
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Fanielle wrote: »
      Aaah I feel bad now :( I made the choice to breastfeed just as others made the choice to bottle/ change/ combine.. We all want what's best for our babies and what's best for them is what's best for you. I can't imagine how I'd breastfeed if I had a toddler.. I certainly couldn't breastfeed if I was ill, I couldn't do it when my gallbladder flared up. A big part of me breastfeeding is the fact I'm too lazy and love my sleep too much. I also can't wait to start expressing and letting my partner take some feeding responsibility. After a long, hard night feed I have to take myself in the garden for five minutes just to have some me time!

We're having some wind problems in our house. Theo seems like he's really struggling to fart. Everybody keeps telling me breastfed babies shouldn't have much wind so I'm either doing something wrong or there's more to it? Could the antibiotics I'm on be causing this? It's horrible to see him in pain.. But boy when he does fart we all know about it!

Oh my goodness - who told you breastfed babies shouldn't fart as much?!!! I breastfed all three of mine and all of them would fart so much!! I presumed it was the other way round and that breastfed babies are the farters not bottlefed babies!!
    • Options
      fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Miss N wrote: »
      Oh my goodness - who told you breastfed babies shouldn't fart as much?!!! I breastfed all three of mine and all of them would fart so much!! I presumed it was the other way round and that breastfed babies are the farters not bottlefed babies!!

I thought that too.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      My health visitor and some friends, apparently they shouldn't take in as much wind if they're latched on properly? It's great to know yours were farters too!! Just wish he could get them out easier!
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      My little lady has no more, and no less wind than I remember the boys having. The boys were breast and bottle then bottle fed only after 2 weeks, and little lady is a combination of breast and bottle. Little Miss latches on just fine, but you can still hear her taking down wind as she sucks.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      My health visitor and some friends, apparently they shouldn't take in as much wind if they're latched on properly? It's great to know yours were farters too!! Just wish he could get them out easier!

What I found with mine is they rarely burped or brought up wind that way, it all came out the other end!! I assumed it was more to do with what I was eating that was making them fart!
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      I didn't mean to make anybody feel bad, that wasn't me intention. To be honest my post sounds a little petulant ans self indulgent and I wish I hadn't written it! I don't begrudge any of you your happiness with your beautiful babies! Sorry for anyone who I've offended.
    • Options
      alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      I didn't mean to make anybody feel bad, that wasn't me intention. To be honest my post sounds a little petulant ans self indulgent and I wish I hadn't written it! I don't begrudge any of you your happiness with your beautiful babies! Sorry for anyone who I've offended.
      I didn't read anything that made me think anyone was offended, Mrs B, you are entitled to be self-indulgent at times, you haven't had much fun recently, you poor thing.

PS I am so glad you didn't call your son Gideon:D
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,140
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Wow we have a part 2 now,

Well as I sit and type this up I have my eyes propped open with tooth picks, it has been one of those weeks I have 2 poorly babies.

Aleisha has got some sort of bug and won't eat so is very grumpy and we are having to force fluids into her. We phoned NHS 24 and well they couldn't give a monkeys after nearly an hour on the phone the best they could come up with was if no improvement by 6pm phone back.

Now forcing fluids in to someone isn't easy but doing it with a 19 month old is almost impossible. Thankfully though she is asleep just now hugging upsy-daisy so will try her with something when she gets up.

As for Baby Bradley, finally after weeks of pestering our GP/HV they have relented and admitted that I was right all along about him having reflux. This could have been sorted out when he was 3 weeks if they listened to me, but now they waited and waited until he was 6 weeks before finally saying there was something up, they wanted to pop him on Lactose free formula milk but after pleading with them to try Gaviscon first they gave in and it worked. Bradey has also been a bit out of sorts the past week with his feeds but today he has started to get back to normal.

I wish I could go for a sleep just now but Cyndi has beat me to it and one of us needs to stay awake as we are awaiting a phone call and also waiting for our oldest boy Matthew to return from his grans.

I hope everyone is having fun.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭

I wasn't offended, and I don't think anyone else was either...
      We know you dont begrudge us our happiness.
      As Alfiewozere said, you are more than entitled to feel the way you do, it hasn't been easy, and its so easy to play the what if? game when things don't neccessarily go the way you planned.
      At the end of the day, you have two gorgeous children that you can be proud of and know that you have done your best for! A happy Mummy is the best thing for a child.(((hugs)))
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Wow we have a part 2 now,

Well as I sit and type this up I have my eyes propped open with tooth picks, it has been one of those weeks I have 2 poorly babies.

Aleisha has got some sort of bug and won't eat so is very grumpy and we are having to force fluids into her. We phoned NHS 24 and well they couldn't give a monkeys after nearly an hour on the phone the best they could come up with was if no improvement by 6pm phone back.

Now forcing fluids in to someone isn't easy but doing it with a 19 month old is almost impossible. Thankfully though she is asleep just now hugging upsy-daisy so will try her with something when she gets up.

As for Baby Bradley, finally after weeks of pestering our GP/HV they have relented and admitted that I was right all along about him having reflux. This could have been sorted out when he was 3 weeks if they listened to me, but now they waited and waited until he was 6 weeks before finally saying there was something up, they wanted to pop him on Lactose free formula milk but after pleading with them to try Gaviscon first they gave in and it worked. Bradey has also been a bit out of sorts the past week with his feeds but today he has started to get back to normal.

I wish I could go for a sleep just now but Cyndi has beat me to it and one of us needs to stay awake as we are awaiting a phone call and also waiting for our oldest boy Matthew to return from his grans.

I hope everyone is having fun.

Aw, I hope both of them feel better soon! It's horrid having poorly kiddies, only so much you can do and you end up feeling so useless half the time.

It's a b!tch when the docs don't listen to you isn't it! You clearly knew what was wrong with Bradley, I remember you telling us weeks ago.

It's lovely you are letting your wife sleep, I hope you manage to get some sleep soon too! xx
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭

You certainly haven't offended me and I know you don't begrudge any happiness! Hope you're ok.. I echo everything Alfie and Miss Kitty have said!
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      You certainly haven't offended me and I know you don't begrudge any happiness! Hope you're ok.. I echo everything Alfie and Miss Kitty have said!

As do I :)
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Thought I'd show Theo off to you all... Here he is! http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r539/daniellemarie1982/SAM_0435.jpg
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Thought I'd show Theo off to you all... Here he is! http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r539/daniellemarie1982/SAM_0435.jpg

Ah bless, he is gorgeous.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭

Oh my gosh he is just yummy!
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      I love that picture fanielle, it's beautiful :)
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭

Aww, he's lovely!!!
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Little lady is very unsettled today, permanently feeding. she usually sleeps 3-4 hours between feeds, but we are lucky to get half hour at the moment. feeding little and often, is this what is meant by 'cluster feeding'?
      I think she must be due a growth spurt.
      I can see a loooong night ahead.
      And we have promised the boys a trip to Jungle Jims tomorrow! So not too much chance for me to kip. But I will get a kip as and when I can. OH will take over from me.
      He doesn't do night feeds as I feel it would be a bit unfair as he has to work the next day, where-as I don't. So he will be nice and refreshed tomorrow, even if I'm not.

Hoping to get Chloe registered tomorrow. And I will be sending away for a deed poll to change my surname to the same as my partner. I hate not having the same surname as my boys and now Chloe.

Also must get started on the boys Easter project for school! They would set one for my busiest holiday wouldn't they! :rolleyes:
    • Options
      curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Fanielle , Theo's adorable !
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Miss N wrote: »

My daughter can fart for England and has done since birth! Actually, both boys were prolific farters. Lily farts for so long and so loud that my husband calls her Gatling Arse. When my eldest was 5 weeks, he farted so loudly he scared himself and starred screaming.

I've only ever breastfed and there seem to be a lot of myths around what breastfed babies do and don't get.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      miss-kitty wrote: »
      Little lady is very unsettled today, permanently feeding. she usually sleeps 3-4 hours between feeds, but we are lucky to get half hour at the moment. feeding little and often, is this what is meant by 'cluster feeding'?
      I think she must be due a growth spurt.
      I can see a loooong night ahead.
      And we have promised the boys a trip to Jungle Jims tomorrow! So not too much chance for me to kip. But I will get a kip as and when I can. OH will take over from me.
      He doesn't do night feeds as I feel it would be a bit unfair as he has to work the next day, where-as I don't. So he will be nice and refreshed tomorrow, even if I'm not.

Hoping to get Chloe registered tomorrow. And I will be sending away for a deed poll to change my surname to the same as my partner. I hate not having the same surname as my boys and now Chloe.

Also must get started on the boys Easter project for school! They would set one for my busiest holiday wouldn't they! :rolleyes:

I never asked my husband to get up at night as he works and I didn't! I do have friends though who had their partner get up and do the night feed!

I would tell the teacher I had been far too busy with my newborn to do the school project. My kids get loads of homework and it drives me mad. I'm not the flipping teacher!

I thought you were married! Nice to change your name though, that was one reason I got married after two kids as I didn't like having a different surname to them.