Options

Glee (US Pace) (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    The Glee Project has been cancelled. Apparently it is unrelated to Cory's death.

http://broadwayworld.com/article/Oxygen-Cancels-THE-GLEE-PROJECT-Decision-Unrelated-to-Monteith-Tragedy-20130716

That's been on the cards for a while according to rumours around the Glee fansites. Doesn't surprise me really, it never got the audience figures.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pick TV announced they are paying tribute to Cory with a memorable episode.

It's the same episode they would have shown even if he hadn't died. :rolleyes:

And they have Cory Monteith 1982 - 2013 under the Pick TV dog.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh for goodness sake, did you miss the bit of my post where I said "I think"? That denotes opinion, by the way.

And my opinion is that the future of Glee is not something that anyone who's connected with the show will be caring about for a long time, and certainly not something Lea would be thinking about, so it's much more respectful not to be talking about what she will or won't be doing. Remembering Cory's time on the show (his legacy) and speculating about whether Lea's mental state would allow her to do a funeral episode or not are two different things entirely, and in my opinion the latter is disrespectful just a couple of days after his death. She's in mourning, she wants to be left alone (her publicist's statement), and it's entirely pointless and in my opinion inappropriate to be discussing whether she will or won't be able to play a scene of Rachel at Finn's funeral! I think it's insensitive.

But as I said, very clearly, that's just my opinion, and all I wanted to do was express that, just like you've been expressing yours. You're no more entitled to do that than anyone else.

Obviously it's awful that he's died. I'm really sad. But this thread is about glee, not Cory. I don't mean this to sound heartless at all or anything like that, but last time I checked there were two threads dedicated to his death (rightly so) where users are saying how sad his death is etc. But here, we're about the show as a whole so it's totally understandable that we're wondering what will happen. In a thread dedicated to speculation of the show it can only be expected that we wonder what'll happen to a main character who's actor has died.
    Having contributed to the thread over the past couple of seasons I feel like I should say something...but there really are no words. It's just so sad, and I feel absolutely devastated for Lea in particular, but of course for Cory's family, friends and castmates.
    It's one of those things that you hope is a sick internet prank, but unfortunately isn't. Such a sad turn of events, a talent who will be missed and an integral part of the cast who will sadly be forever missing.
    RIP Cory.

As for the future of Glee, I really don't know. Out of respect for all the cast and crew I'd understand any decision they make, cancellation, plotlines, whatever. But to be honest I'm guessing it's the last thing on everyone's minds right now, and I really hope the press give Lea and the cast and family time and space to deal with their grief with dignity, not flashing cameras in faces at every opportunity.

I have to agree with this. I've been reading this thread since it happened and I can only post now. I've been posting here since season 2, discussing a character in different relationships, storylines, scenarios. Never did I think I'd be discussing Cory's death only three years? later. I feel stupid too because I'm in shock over the death of someone I've never, and will never, meet. But I am. I've cried over it, and I really feel like I knew him because we've seen his character mature in front of us from that boy too scared to be what he wanted, to someone who wanted to be a teacher. And it's funny because I've never really liked Finn as a character, but I've always loved Cory. But now, Finn seems so much more special, and the thought that he's gone from glee really hurts me.
    As for the future of glee, personally I don't mind too much as long as he isn't replaced. If they did that, I'd be done and so I think would many others, it's just too disrespectful. I do feel like the 'best' option would be his death, but I can also see the whole thing of Finn going on living off screen as a good thing too, letting Cory's memory essentially live on. I would like an episode dedicated to him though, with all his goofy offscreen moments and possibly interviews celebrating him (if the cast were up to it), maybe before the season starts again?
    Pick TV announced they are paying tribute to Cory with a memorable episode.

It's the same episode they would have shown even if he hadn't died. :rolleyes:

And they have Cory Monteith 1982 - 2013 under the Pick TV dog.

Really it's the thought that counts. At least they addressed it. What episode was it, out of curiosity?
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really it's the thought that counts. At least they addressed it. What episode was it, out of curiosity?

Season 3 Episode 5 The First Time.

It had Finn worried about his future. But was more memorable for me because of Santana's performance in Westside Story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 3 Episode 5 The First Time.

It had Finn worried about his future. But was more memorable for me because of Santana's performance in Westside Story.

Ahh okay. I'll agree there's better episodes for him, but its not a terrible one. What would be people's favourite Finn episodes?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ahh okay. I'll agree there's better episodes for him, but its not a terrible one. What would be people's favourite Finn episodes?

Yes but the thing is, it was the episode they were going to show anyway. Episode 4 was shown last week, and episode 6 is next week.

Episode 6 is more memorable for me with the Rumour Has It mash up and Santana slapping Finn.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but the thing is, it was the episode they were going to show anyway. Episode 4 was shown last week, and episode 6 is next week.

Episode 6 is more memorable for me with the Rumour Has It mash up and Santana slapping Finn.

Yeah I agree that they could have changed the scheduling, but at least they went to the effort (however small) of mentioning and dedicating it to his memory. I wouldn't put episode 6, that's one of Finn's worst moments imo with the outing of Santana
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My favourite Finn story (and the episode I am surprised I haven't read about more stations showing) that actually shows the great character he was is probably "Ballad".

I posted the link to his cover of "I'll Stand By You" alongside my message regarding Cory's death and I think it really was his best performance. Everything else "Finn" in that episode is great, trying on his dad's suit jacket with Kurt, his horribly misjudged performance at the Fabray house, his admitting the pregnancy to his Mum and supporting Quinn after her parents throw her out.

It really did show the best of Finn.
  • Options
    revans33revans33 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    huggzy wrote: »
    My favourite Finn story (and the episode I am surprised I haven't read about more stations showing) that actually shows the great character he was is probably "Ballad".

I posted the link to his cover of "I'll Stand By You" alongside my message regarding Cory's death and I think it really was his best performance. Everything else "Finn" in that episode is great, trying on his dad's suit jacket with Kurt, his horribly misjudged performance at the Fabray house, his admitting the pregnancy to his Mum and supporting Quinn after her parents throw her out.

It really did show the best of Finn.

Not to mention one of my favourite ever Finn lines 'I have to go they'll think I'm pooping' :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite Finn story (and the episode I am surprised I haven't read about more stations showing) that actually shows what a great character he is probably "Ballad".

It really did show the best of Finn.[/]

Oh wow, I'm remembering all the little Finn bits in that episode, (like when he cried on carol! :() and I think you're right. I think for me alon with that, goodbye is pretty good, his letting Rachel go gets me every time.

Actually even his final episode is quite fitting, his final performance being don't stop believing, and the scene on the phone with Rachel. If it had to end, at least it ended with her.
  • Options
    xxLoopy_louxxxxLoopy_louxx Posts: 21,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glee will come back on the 26th of September and production starts in early August, a week later than it was supposed to.
  • Options
    gemmaovwales03gemmaovwales03 Posts: 7,183
    Forum Member
    Glee will come back on the 26th of September and production starts in early August, a week later than it was supposed to.

i thought they would delay it a lot longer than that. I bet they are working like crazy trying to write some new scripts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the announcement was very well done. Pre-production's been ongoing while they've been deciding what to do so I suspect this is more a case of when they're going to ask the cast to come back into the studio.
    It will be interesting to see which way they go, either the first couple of episodes are Lima heavy with little NY action or they go straight up into Finn's story from the get go.

GLEE TO PREMIERE THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 26
    July 19, 2013 at 11:00pm
    In light of the tragic passing of beloved GLEE cast member Cory Monteith, the series’ executive producers, 20th Century Fox Television and Fox Broadcasting Company have jointly decided to delay the start of production of GLEE until early August. Season Five of GLEE will now premiere on Thursday, Sept. 26 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. No further details are available at this time.

Monteith played loveable FINN HUDSON, the star quarterback of McKinley High who became a leader of glee club New Directions. Outside of GLEE, Monteith worked closely with several charitable organizations, devoted to helping people effect positive change in their lives. In honor of his passing, the following groups will be accepting donations in his name:

· Project Limelight Society: www.projectlimelightsociety.org
    · Virgin Unite: www.virginunite.com
    · Chrysalis: www.changelives.org/donate

GLEE is produced by Ryan Murphy Television in association with 20th Century Fox Television. Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuk and Ian Brennan are co-creators of the series. Murphy, Falchuk, Brennan and Dante Di Loreto serve as executive producers. “Like” GLEE on Facebook and download the Facebook Fan Page app at www.facebook.com/Glee. Follow the series on Twitter @GLEEonFOX and join the discussion at #glee.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    I thought the announcement was very well done. Pre-production's been ongoing while they've been deciding what to do so I suspect this is more a case of when they're going to ask the cast to come back into the studio.
    It will be interesting to see which way they go, either the first couple of episodes are Lima heavy with little NY action or they go straight up into Finn's story from the get go.

I read an article somewhere that suggested they might use some old footage of Finn (apparently this was done in Dallas) to build up to writing him out. Also, at the end of last season wasn't there suggestion that they would split the season? Like, be more focused on McKinley in the first half and then NY in the second half?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read an article somewhere that suggested they might use some old footage of Finn (apparently this was done in Dallas) to build up to writing him out. Also, at the end of last season wasn't there suggestion that they would split the season? Like, be more focused on McKinley in the first half and then NY in the second half?

Yeah I've read a similar thing where they're talking about using archive footage and also scenes which were shot but then never used at the end of last season.
    One thing's for sure, I'm glad I'm not the one having to make the decisions about where to go and how to handle Cory's death as it relates to the character of Finn Hudson. It's a nightmare no win situation really as I'm sure they're going to be getting complaints whatever they do from upset fans.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am really surprised that they've only delayed production by a week but so long as the cast are okay and ready, that is all that matters (I certainly hope they will be at least).
    Actually even his final episode is quite fitting, his final performance being don't stop believing, and the scene on the phone with Rachel. If it had to end, at least it ended with her.

At the time I thought it was a really random episode to reprise Don't Stop Believing and thought it would have been better to use it in one of the last ever episodes - now I'm so glad they performed it when they did.

That episode obviously would never have given complete closure but I think they happened to end on a pretty good note for Finn - he seemed to be in a good place with finally discovering his dream and was on the way to reconciliation with Rachel.

I think there are a few moments on show, such as Finn's last interactions with certain characters, which now seem very poignant and fitting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    One thing's for sure, I'm glad I'm not the one having to make the decisions about where to go and how to handle Cory's death as it relates to the character of Finn Hudson. It's a nightmare no win situation really as I'm sure they're going to be getting complaints whatever they do from upset fans.

This, it seems like fans dont want him to be killed off and still want him to have a happy ending with Rachel which I don't know if thats really possible. As it is I've seen complaints from fans that the delay is only going to be a week as they think its disrespectful to Cory which I don't think is fair to the writers/ producers because they had to come to an agreement with Fox aswell, they couldn't just make the decision themselves.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if anyone posted about this yet but Glee scored two acting nominations for this year's Emmys - a supporting actress one for Jane Lynch and guest actress for Dot Marie Jones.

They also got a nom for directing and one for makeup.

Cory will surely be mentioned in the In Memoriam segment :(
  • Options
    burnoutbabeburnoutbabe Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    jenilou88 wrote: »
    I am really surprised that they've only delayed production by a week but so long as the cast are okay and ready, that is all that matters (I certainly hope they will be at least).

a weeks seems reasonable. Contrast it to a work colleague suddenly dying. You'd all be expected to carry on working in that situation. Clearly if its your other half/family member you'd have more time off, but not for other people, even if you spent 8-10 hours a day with then 5 days a week for years.

I think best to have Finn dying/leaving in the very first episode so its out of the way, else everyone will just be waiting for it to be mentioned and dealt with. (or the first episode people wondering where he is, then revelation of some accident at the end with funeral and memorial/recollection episode in 2nd). Rachel being taken away by her dads to recover if needed.
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would guess that although production's only delayed by a week, not everyone will be back on set immediately. They might well make the first few episodes, or even the first half of the series, McKinley only if they weren't doing so already, and let Lea return if or when she chooses to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jenilou88 wrote: »

It's the air date for the show which has been pushed back a week specifically. Production has been delayed until August (it was due to start July 17 if I remember rightly) which is close to a two week delay and some pre-production work's already been happening according to sources at Paramount so I suspect the cast and crew will have had nearer three weeks to come to terms with Cory's death (in the initial stages that is) rather than just a week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine it's Fox attempting to not be giant douche bags by refusing to move it but instead pushing it back a week to be seen to be "caring" but without actually impacting on the show too badly.

Clearly they aren't going to want to cancel the show and have already sold advertising time for the show etc. All they will likely do is add in another week to one of the inevitable other breaks in the first half of the season to balance out being two weeks behind in production.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know one thing that was done before Cory died was the promo shots for Season 5.

http://perezhilton.com/2013-06-29-glee-lea-michele-season-5-photo-shoot-photo-tweet#.UerU9W3OBN4

Also on the 6th july, a fan asked Cory to record a message a message for her daughter, so this is now believed to be the last record footage of the actor

http://hollywoodlife.com/2013/07/18/cory-monteith-final-video-before-death-watch/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I imagine it's Fox attempting to not be giant douche bags by refusing to move it but instead pushing it back a week to be seen to be "caring" but without actually impacting on the show too badly.

Clearly they aren't going to want to cancel the show and have already sold advertising time for the show etc. All they will likely do is add in another week to one of the inevitable other breaks in the first half of the season to balance out being two weeks behind in production.

Quite incorrect. Ryan Murphy's now commented.
    One week after Cory Monteith's tragic death, Glee boss Ryan Murphy is breaking his silence, telling E! News how the show will move forward—and how there were discussions that the entire Fox series might be shut down for good. Glee will return for its fifth season on Sept. 26, one week later than originally planned.

Murphy also reveals how everyone--from the head of Fox to the cast and crew---is looking to and trusting Lea Michele to make all the decisions, and how Murphy himself fought to save Monteith's life, staging an intervention and refusing to let the 31-year-old actor work until he got sober.

http://uk.eonline.com/news/440970/ryan-murphy-explains-how-glee-will-return-without-cory-monteith-lea-michele-is-the-strongest-26-year-old-i-know?cmpid=eonline-twitter&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=twitterfeed&utm_campaign=twitterfeed_topstories&dlvrit=48939
    Another inteview from TVLIne

On Friday, Fox announced that production on Glee would be pushed back until August in the wake of Cory Monteith‘s sudden death last week. The postponement subsequently moved the show’s Season 5 premiere back a week, to Sept. 26.

The relatively short delay was met with surprise given the enormity of the tragedy, particularly for Monteith’s leading lady and real-life girlfriend Lea Michele.

Here, Glee cocreator Ryan Murphy breaks his silence on the actor’s passing, explains the thinking behind the brief postponement (and the role Michele played in the decision), and offers the first glimpse of how Glee will carry on without Finn.

TVLINE | Thanks for your time. I know you wanted to talk a little bit about the reason for the one-week delay and why it wasn’t longer. Some people thought maybe it should be.
    Well, it’s such uncharted waters for me, personally. We had several options. We could delay shooting until November, we could delay shooting until January. But, ultimately, what we decided to do for the cast and crew was start shooting with something that we had already had written. We had written two Beatles episodes in May and had been working on that tribute for four years. We just decided that it would probably be the best for everybody to get back together and be working and have grief counselors on set for two weeks, which we’re going to do. But, ultimately, we made no decisions without consulting Lea. [Executive producer] Brad Falchuk and I talked to Lea and really asked her what she wanted to do. We laid out every possible option. And she was very adamant that she thought it was best for the cast and crew to get back together sooner [rather] than later so that mortgages could be paid and people could take care of their families. Cory was so beloved that she felt people really needed to be together in this time. So we sort of followed her lead.

TVLINE | Will you address Finn’s absence in the first two episodes?
    I don’t think so. We were supposed to be on in the fall with four episodes, and that’s just not going to happen. So we’re going to go on the air with two episodes and right now we’re writing the third episode, which deals with Finn’s death – which, you can imagine, is a very difficult episode to write. [It] has to be done very carefully and with a lot of taste and really making sure that it’s a tribute to Cory. Then, who knows? Maybe we’ll wait to shoot that. We really have to see how everybody feels… We’re going to take a long writers’ hiatus after that episode to refigure the season and continue to take care of the cast and crew and work on setting things up in Cory’s honor – scholarships, what have you – because that’s something we’re dedicated to doing. It’s just a crazy, really difficult, very emotional time. I think what we’re really trying to do is deal with it as a family, which is what that group of people is. Lea is obviously very grief-stricken but she’s also one of the strongest people I know. She wants people to be better and get back to work. So that’s what we’re going to do.

TVLINE | So Lea will be back with the show at the start of Season 5, including the Beatles two-parter?
    Yes. She wants to be with people. The family was her family. She wants to be with the cast and the crew.

TVLINE | The tribute episode will be shot immediately after the two-parter, then you go on hiatus?
    Yes. I mean, who knows how long it’s going to take to craft and what it’s going to be? I just got back into town Tuesday from shooting [HBO's The Normal Heart] and immediately, even in New York, was dealing with the specifics of Cory’s death. I don’t have all the answers. But I just wanted people to know that no decision has been taken lightly and it’s been a week where everyone, from [20th Century Fox TV chiefs] Dana Walden and Gary Newman to [Fox bosses] Kevin Reilly and Peter Rice to [21st Century Fox chairman and CEO] Rupert Murdoch, everyone has weighed in and wanted us to do the best thing for the cast and crew.

TVLINE | And in terms of what fans will see on TV, the two Beatles episodes will air, followed by the tribute episode, and then a hiatus?
    Yes. It’s impossible to start the season with the tribute episode; we have no time to prepare it.

TVLINE | You mentioned that you’ve spoken to Lea. A lot of people are really curious about how she’s holding up.
    It’s just a very tragic thing. It’s been a very difficult thing for all of us, including Lea, to love someone who is an addict. It’s something all of us have been dealing with for many months. It’s a disease and, unfortunately, the disease flared up. As soon as we found out, we staged an intervention with Cory that Lea was 100 percent running out of love and trying to get him better, saying, “Look. Don’t worry about your job; you will always have a job. Don’t worry about fear. Don’t worry about shame. Just worry about getting better and getting stronger…” He was like a son to me… He was both very loving and very sweet and also very stubborn. I really expected him to fight me. He wanted to finish those last two episodes of [Season 4], and that’s when we found out about the addiction flaring up again and I said, “F–k no. We’re writing you out of these episodes. Your life is more important than any stupid TV show. You’re not going to film. You’re going to get in a car right now and get help that I and Brad and Lea have arranged.” I thought he was going to fight me. He said, instead, “OK, I’m so glad it’s over.” He embraced it and went without a fight and got in a car and went to rehab.

TVLINE | And you thought he was doing OK?
    All early reports were that he was doing really well. I spoke to him, and he was really grateful. Lea was very instrumental in trying to save his life and get him the help that he needed and I think for everyone, including myself and her, it’s just a shock. It happened so quickly and without warning, as it often does for many people… She’s also been a rock for many people as well. I’ve never, ever met a 26-year-old girl or boy who’s capable of doing what she’s done in the past week. I marvel at it. I really have taken – as we all have – our lead from Lea. We won’t do anything that she doesn’t want to do. We’re planning a memorial service this week for the cast and crew and people at Fox, everybody who loved him. She’s been planning that and making decisions.

TVLINE | Do you have a memory of Cory that epitomizes who he was for you?
    The thing that I struggle with is the darkness that befell him, it was so the opposite of the person that I knew and tried to save. It was a really hard part to cast. The first time I saw Cory was on a videotape where he was playing Tupperware drums. But he was in the first scene of the first shot when I directed the Glee pilot. It was a scene with Mr. Schue and Finn where they were in Mr. Schue’s office and Mr. Schue was framing him. It was a very strange pilot and it was a musical, which nobody had really done successfully. So people were nervous, I was nervous about it. And I remember after his first take, he came up to me and said, “This is gonna be fun.”

http://tvline.com/2013/07/20/ryan-murphy-glee-cory-monteith-death-season-5-delay/

That's a film which Cory shot last year. However, some of the sites which don't usually cover Glee have picked up on it and mistakenly said it was from this year.

It was taken on a flight from Japan to Vancouver last year and was reported on the Glee Forum among other dedicated TV sites at the time.
This discussion has been closed.