Dressing for dinner on holiday

13»

Comments

• Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rickbe wrote: »
    What, pray, are we supposed to "dress up" in?

We are not in the 1950s, thank god.

I don't have any "formal" clothing anymore, no suits, no ties, it's all been banished from my life and disposed of. No old style shoes, the best I can do is plain black trainers and black jeans.

People used to stand for the national anthem and curtsey before Her Majesty as well. It's all gawn dinehill.

I think what people mean is they dont like wearing what they've worn during the day (shorts/t-shirts etc.) but they like to have a shower and change into something a bit nicer......not necessarily a ball gown or DJ but something smart!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Formal dining on holiday? That went out with the ark didn't it?

I think smart casual is fine these days but if some people feel comfortable lounging around in the same thing they wore on the beach all day then it's their prerogative. It's their holiday and who am I to judge? How do we know that person isn't getting away for the first time in twenty years and just wants to kick back and relax without feeling the need to conform to what someone else's perceived idea about appropriate dress codes are?
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    People used to dress up for dinner in their home too. Nowadays so many people just eat off a tray in their lap on the settee. It's a symbol of our decline as a nation IMO.

I don't really see the point of dressing up for dinner in my own house. I don't have a problem with eating by the TV or computer.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I am on holiday the most difficult decision I make each day is what to wear for dinner :D

I always dress to go out for dinner and drinks - my bikini and beach dress is for the day time.

Dressing doesn't have to mean a ballgown, it means having a shower and putting on something clean and semi pretty!

Exactly. Funny how in typical DS fashion, having a shower and wearing something nice for an evening out has been turned into wearing ballgowns or top hat and tails.
  • Options
    Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Exactly. Funny how in typical DS fashion, having a shower and wearing something nice for an evening out has been turned into wearing ballgowns or top hat and tails.

That's not how I see it, but the OP does seem to be critical of people that don't dress up for dinner. Had they just said that they enjoy doing it themselves, perhaps the responses would have been different.

My feeling is, it's a holiday, wear what you want to and feel good in, but don't worry if other people wear what they feel comfy and good in, even if it is different to your idea.

Some people see it as 'going to dinner' others might seeing it as having a quick bite to eat before they do something else.

Holidays are to be treasured and enjoyed, and in my opinion that's why everyone should be free to dress how they want to. :)
  • Options
    JTGEJTGE Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess it adds to the holiday feeling if people change into something nicer in the evening and make a tiny effort. You know you are on holiday when you aren't still slobbing about in your daytime casuals as you would be at home.
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never dress for dinner when on holiday, personally I don't see the point, I'm on holiday.

Shower in the morning then put on clean clothes, back to hotel in the evening for a meal, back to hotel room for a shower then into night clothes.

That's it, that's all I want to do. And I do the same day after and so on for the rest of the hols.

Otherwise think about the amount of clothes you'd be taking? Day clothes, evening clothes, night clothes, underwear, swimwear, shoes...too much. Just cut out the evening clothes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member
    I never dress for dinner - full stop. I've just realised that I wear the same 365 days a year. Although not to sleep in. Jeans and fleecy tops in the winter and jeans and t shirts in the "summer". Not even a summer dress the last couple of years as we has no summer.

(riding stuff a few times a week but I never "dress" for anything!)

Ekkkk

Got a wardrobe full of lovely clothes too!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i did remember showering and changing into smarter clothes for dinner when we were on hol's..its been ages like, but i remember doing so :p
  • Options
    trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just realised that I wear the same 365 days a year.

Next you'll be saying that you have a bath once a year too, whether you need it or not... :eek:
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sort of agree with the OP in that I'm the type of person who loves coming back to the apt/hotel after a day at the beach or by the pool, have a shower and get my gladrags on. Nothing extravagant, just something nice and summery and relatively smart.

However, you're on holiday. You should wear what you want and what you're comfortable in. I don't like it when people sit and eat at the table with no shirt on though (men), whether it's breakfast/dinner. That's just rude. Put a vest on or something while people are eating!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member
    trphil wrote: »
    Next you'll be saying that you have a bath once a year too, whether you need it or not... :eek:

Noooo....I lurrrve my bath! Every night, floating lights, music and salts.... It is therapy!

And I don't wear the same clothes, just have everything the same. Lots and lots of pairs of funky embroidered jeans!

:p
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »

:D:D Exactly. We're only talking about not wearing t-shirts / shorts / swimwear, surely? It does look slobby to see people dressed as toddlers at restaurant tables. Wearing proper clothes in the evening in a hot climate not only looks better but means you are less likely to be bitten by mosquitoes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D:D Exactly. to see people dressed as toddlers at restaurant tables.

You've hit the nail on the head there. Thats why I always assume they are unintelligent boors, when they might not be.
  • Options
    rickberickbe Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D:D It does look slobby to see people dressed as toddlers at restaurant tables.

the mind boggles

If it's a smartish restaurant or whatever then I'd agree smartish casual is better, rather than "wifebeater" vest, tracksuit bottoms, thongs or shabby sneakers.

but not "dressing up".
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    Don't get me started.

I agree with the OP-nobody seems to dress up for restaurants now or even special occasions.

I don't know if it is laziness or they just do not know when to dress up.

I've seen people going to christenings and funerals in jeans.
    To me it shows a lack of respect for the event and the family.

What really annoys me is chavs living in their tracky bottoms from morning till night, probably sleeping in them then going to the supermarket or into town. By this time they have slunk around their arses and we the great British public have to look at their white flabby mounds of fat bouncing over the top of the elasticated, much expanded waistband.
    They should be locked up for their own safety.

Sorry, got carried away.

Rant over.

Dress codes are there to exclude people, and are by their very nature, elitist. I can understand getting dressed up for an interview, a wedding, funeral or christening, but getting dressed up for the theatre or popping out for Sunday lunch ? Nein danke. How ridiculous.
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    riceuten wrote: »
    Dress codes are there to exclude people, and are by their very nature, elitist. I can understand getting dressed up for an interview, a wedding, funeral or christening, but getting dressed up for the theatre or popping out for Sunday lunch ? Nein danke. How ridiculous.

You wouldnt dress up to go to the theatre? How crass :p
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    You wouldnt dress up to go to the theatre? How crass :p

Why should I? It's only a play, for heaven's sake - it's hardly the Ritz, is it ?. If I'm going to sit through 2 - 2 and a half hours, I want to be comfortable, not wearing some ridiculous garb.

Thankfully, most of my fellow theatregoers locally agree; indeed, someone wearing a penguin suit would be the one looking out of place.
  • Options
    Nine Bob NoteNine Bob Note Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You wear what you want, I'll wear what I want. Liberal democracy. Marvellous.

Personally, I'd turn up in a top hat, bowtie and arseless chaps if I smelt the opportunity to offend some conservative old farts who believe everyone should do as they do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slightly off topic I know, but, does anyone else love seeing how smart everyone was when you see old newsreels or films from the last war and the decade or so after? You could hardly tell the difference between the most humble of workers and the upper classes, so much pride was taken with their appearance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You wear what you want, I'll wear what I want. Liberal democracy. Marvellous.

Personally, I'd turn up in a top hat, bowtie and arseless chaps if I smelt the opportunity to offend some conservative old farts who believe everyone should do as they do.

Setting out to deliberately offend is hostile, not liberal. Just saying.
  • Options
    Nine Bob NoteNine Bob Note Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JTGE wrote: »
    Setting out to deliberately offend is hostile, not liberal. Just saying.

Meeting hostility head on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got back from my holiday today and I didn't dress for dinner once. Mind you it was Butlins...
  • Options
    Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    trphil wrote: »
    Just got back from my holiday today and I didn't dress for dinner once. Mind you it was Butlins...

They allow nudity in the restaurants at Butlin's now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baboo Yagu wrote: »
    They allow nudity in the restaurants at Butlin's now?

Indeed they do, positively encourage it. ;)