Options

What's going to happen to Greece

Comments

• Options
    gamez-fangamez-fan Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That may be the case, but when they realise nobody will be prepared to loan Greece even a bag of peanuts in future, the mood may change.

Iceland did the same a while back i wonder how their getting on could it be a reflection of how greece
    will be in several years time
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gamez-fan wrote: »
    Oh It's likely the poor folks you seen celebrating who told the IMF and their super rich billionare share holders
    to stick extra loans with extreme austerity attached for the poorest greek citizens up their asses im sure the
    middle and upper classes in greece will be crying tonight as well they wanted the opposite :D

Just a pity they hardly have a Cent or Drachma to rub together though.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iceland did the same a while back i wonder how their getting on could it be a reflection of how greece
    will be in several years time

Did Iceland owe 360 billion to the EU (i.e. Germany) though??
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »
    U96 wrote: »

Away from the tourist hotspots, many are pretty poor. We went to an island called Spetses a few year ago & they're were no cars on the place. Horse & cart etc.
    They probably don't even know what's going on tonight?? :-(

Oh,i didn't think there would be such places.Maybe in Romania and the likes.
  • Options
    Guts and GloryGuts and Glory Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Plus unlike Greece, corruption and tax-avoidance are not endemic in Iceland.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    Not really. If the choice for Greece is between being screwed and being screwed, why not choose the option that allows them to at least retain some measure of national dignity?

The money they are being loaned is overwhelmingly going straight back to foreign financial institutions not national spending by Greece on Greeks.

Damned if they do,damned if they don't.What a choice.:(They are either really brave or really stupid.But i fear they have been both.
  • Options
    gamez-fangamez-fan Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not anymore as they just bumped the krauts and it makes me smile as i dont like em :)
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know they're laid back people.But this is just some kind of mass insanity.

The drachma would be great news for cheap holidays, I suppose. Joking aside and it's not a joke, they'll never get out if this mess with the Euro, they have no chance of trading with such debt. The Drachma gives them an opportunity to rebuild the economy, based upon a much devalued currency. Huge struggle, they will be facing great austerity, which they refused to take on board within the EU.
    Some Greek Ministers are predicting a new bail out deal.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2066a902-2346-11e5-9c4e-a775d2b173ca.html?siteedition=uk#axzz3f3alAkMD
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not anymore as they just bumped the krauts and it makes me smile as i dont like em :)

All 82 million ? Children , babies and all the rest ? I find the Germans lovely people , and very non judgemental .
  • Options
    Jean_DanielsJean_Daniels Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    I'm hoping this will set a precedent for debt forgiveness...

can we apply as well we cant afford to repay either,funny how quick greece can arrange a reerendium we have to wait 2 years
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    The drachma would be great news for cheap holidays, I suppose. Joking aside and it's not a joke, they'll never get out if this mess with the Euro, they have no chance of trading with such debt. The Drachma gives them an opportunity to rebuild the economy, based upon a much devalued currency. Huge struggle, they will be facing great austerity, which they refused to take on board within the EU.
    Some Greek Ministers are predicting a new bail out deal.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2066a902-2346-11e5-9c4e-a775d2b173ca.html?siteedition=uk#axzz3f3alAkMD

It will be a massive struggle now for them and as always the working class will be the big loosers .I am guessing no one at all will lend them money ever again .
  • Options
    donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    It will be a massive struggle now for them and as always the working class will be the big loosers .I am guessing no one at all will lend them money ever again .

Well Germany owed a hell of a lot more after the war and they did allright,but then they had most of the debt written off
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    donovan5 wrote: »
    Well Germany owed a hell of a lot more after the war and they did allright,but then they had most of the debt written off
    With all due respects to the Greeks and they are a lovely people , the Germans are the most hard working people I have ever come across and were willing to give it everything they had to rebuild .
    And they did it again in the 90's when the East joined the West and needed huge support . The Germans suffered huge austerity and did very little whinging .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Russia is lurking.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2015/jul/06/greek-referendum-eu-leaders-call-crisis-meeting-as-bailout-rejected-live-updates
    21m ago
    12:28
    Greek television channels have been breaking into scheduled programmes to announce that prime minister Alexis Tsipras will cut short the meeting currently taking place of political party leaders at the presidential palace to speak with Russia’s Vladimir Putin, reports Helena Smith. (We mentioned this possiblity earlier). Helena writes:

The two men will speak by phone. The cross party meeting of political leaders will then resume.

Interestingly, says, Helena, the Greek energy minister, Panagiotis Lafazanis, who has close ties with Moscow and heads the militant wing of Tsipras’ Syriza party, has also rushed to the presidential palace.

16m ago
    12:34
    Speaking of Russia, the country has said Greece and its creditors should reach a compromise as soon as possible. Bloomberg reports it is watching developments “closely” following the referendum:

“We treat with respect the voice raised during the plebiscite,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters on a conference call on Monday. Russia would like Greece to take decisions that contribute to “social and economical stability in the country,” he said.

Greece has never asked Russia for financial aid in dealing with the debt crisis, Peskov said. Greek issues might be discussed on the sidelines of a BRICS summit in Ufa this week of leaders from Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa, though they are not on the official agenda, he said.

Full story here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh,i didn't think there would be such places.Maybe in Romania and the likes.

Spetes is a tiny beautiful island. I've been there 3 times over the years, since the late 70's. Cars are on the increase but the island simply isn't suitable for traffic, that's the main reason. Transport around the island is wonderful and by boat. Everything is brought into the island that way, including all water.

http://www.skyboxart.com/spetses/spetses_portrait.html
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am amazed. What possible help can voting no do for this shower.

If tourists stop going there they are a basket case. It will be a long time before I take a holiday in Greece.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,168
    Forum Member
    can we apply as well we cant afford to repay either,funny how quick greece can arrange a reerendium we have to wait 2 years

Who says we can't afford to repay?

There is no comparison between ours and Greeks economies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If tourists stop going there they are a basket case. It will be a long time before I take a holiday in Greece.

If they go back to the drachma holidays will be dirt cheap for anyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Why on earth would you not go on holiday to Greece? What a strange statement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who says we can't afford to repay?

There is no comparison between ours and Greeks economies.

Blimey what a horrifying thought! Yes, thankfully we are financial worlds apart from Greece.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the extra time to prepare will mean that ours will product a sensible result rather than this fiasco.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why on earth would you not go on holiday to Greece? What a strange statement.

Actually I wouldnt go at the moment either . Quite simply as I wouldnt be happy travelling with wads of cash . You have no guarentee that restaurants or shops or indeed hotels will take credit cards right now .
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I wouldnt go at the moment either . Quite simply as I wouldnt be happy travelling with wads of cash . You have no guarentee that restaurants or shops or indeed hotels will take credit cards right now .
    And carrying cash makes you a big target seeing as how they are running out of it. So yeah, all in all, it's probably best to stay away from Greece for a while.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    If they go back to the drachma holidays will be dirt cheap for anyone.

That might put them on the road to recovery.
    Prices went silly when they switched to the euro so maybe they'll get back to being an irresistible bargain destination again.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I took cash this year, its not that risky as nearly all hotels have safe deposit boxes.