Options

Should people who join ISIS ever be allowed back into the UK?

Comments

• Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could do but can't be arsed when you can google it yourself.

Can't be arsed? Surely it's better not to make claims which are impossible to verify, rather than cite laziness as an excuse.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Can't be arsed? Surely it's better not to make claims which are impossible to verify, rather than cite laziness as an excuse.
    They are possible to verify though, go have a look yourself.

It took me less than 10 secs.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Er....

No. What we have is the high profile example of Jihadi John....

...but what about all the other masked, covered-faced ISIS fighters in the mass killing of prisoners and Syrians soldiers' videos? How do YOU know that of the hundreds of UK "citizens" and those of other Western nations who have gone to the Middle East to join ISIS, NONE of them happen to be involved in all the massed killings that have been going on? The massacres of those who refuse to convert in every town ISIS takes over? The hundreds of POWs killed?

The "rubbish" position is that of all the UK-origin ISIS volunteers, none of them have taken part in killings except for Jihadi John. So nice of ISIS to ensure that the "British" volunteers among their ranks are left out of all the nasty stuff...
    Well now you've qualified what you saying.

Previously you said Asians, now it's Isis fighters, you do your cause no good by taking an extreme and applying to randomly to a whole race.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    JB3 wrote: »
    You really do need to stop taking one extreme sample and applying to everyone.

So far we have all people that join IS are benefits scroungers(not that you know this) and now we have they are all beheaders.

Such rubbish.
    phylo hasn't said they're benefit scroungers.

As for beheaders then who knows but IS members do have the monopoly on that so why not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

First link
    The man was born in Afghanistan and still holds Afghan citizenship

Second link
    Home Office lawyers say that he could easily re-apply for Iraqi citizenship and would have to be given a passport by the country's officials.

Until he did he could not be stripped of his British citizenship as that would render him stateless. She failed.

https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/2014/07/11/al-jedda-the-man-mentioned-11-times-by-home-office-as-it-tried-to-change-immigration-bill/

Any links to anyone who has been made stateless?
  • Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    francie wrote: »
    Thanks for the links.

No problem, I've found the full figures.

"Since 2000, 24 individuals have had
    their British citizenship revoked in the following years

2006 - 1
    2007 - 1
    2009 - 2
    2010 - 5
    2011 - 6
    2012 - 6
    2013 - 3

Of the 24 individuals that have had their citizenship revoked—two had British
    citizenship for less than one year; 13 had held citizenship between 1-10 years; nine
    had held citizenship for more than 10 years.

The 24 individuals’ other nationalities were: Russian, Somalian, Yemeni, Australian,
    Pakistani, Afghan, Albanian, Egyptian, Lebanese, Sudanese, Vietnamese, Iranian,
    Iraqi and Nigerian. These individuals had either held British citizenship from birth or
    acquired it by application.
    "

Source - Deprivation of British citizenship and withdrawal of passport facilities (Gower, M) (2015)
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let them come back? Most of them are there to blow themselves up. British fodder for the leaders. If not then they're sure to die quickly in battle as watching a few videos online isn't going to give them much of a clue what to do when they're being droned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No problem, I've found the full figures.

"Since 2000, 24 individuals have had
    their British citizenship revoked in the following years

2006 - 1
    2007 - 1
    2009 - 2
    2010 - 5
    2011 - 6
    2012 - 6
    2013 - 3

Of the 24 individuals that have had their citizenship revoked—two had British
    citizenship for less than one year; 13 had held citizenship between 1-10 years; nine
    had held citizenship for more than 10 years.

The 24 individuals’ other nationalities were: Russian, Somalian, Yemeni, Australian,
    Pakistani, Afghan, Albanian, Egyptian, Lebanese, Sudanese, Vietnamese, Iranian,
    Iraqi and Nigerian. These individuals had either held British citizenship from birth or
    acquired it by application.
    "

Source - Deprivation of British citizenship and withdrawal of passport facilities (Gower, M) (2015)

How many held full British citizenship?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    First link

Second link

Until he does he cannot be stripped of his British citizenship as that would render him stateless..

They were British citizens who had their passports revoked, that's all you asked for but here you go:

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2014/nov/18/terror-suspect-stateless-extradition-court

https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/2015/03/25/supreme-court-backs-theresa-may-al-qaeda-inspire-minh-pham-strip-uk-citizenship/
    How many held full British citizenship?

All of them. What do you mean by 'full' citizenship?
  • Options
    Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never let them back - Never let them back - Never let them back
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were British citizens who had their passports revoked, that's all you asked for but here you go:

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2014/nov/18/terror-suspect-stateless-extradition-court

https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/2015/03/25/supreme-court-backs-theresa-may-al-qaeda-inspire-minh-pham-strip-uk-citizenship/

All of them. What do you mean by 'full' citizenship?

I mean full legally obtained British Citizenship.

First link
    Under a 1954 United Nations convention, countries are not allowed to render individuals stateless. Pham’s case also raises questions about his entitlement to citizenship within the EU. Southey said: “It’s clear that in treaties there’s a well established principle of EU citizenship [in addition to national citizenship].”
    The follow up, your second link.
    He then successfully appealed that decision at a Special Immigration Appeals Commission (Siac) hearing in 2012 when he argued he would therefore be stateless.

The home secretary challenged that ruling in the Court of Appeal. Although the government of Vietnam said it did not consider him a national, in 2013 the appeal judges agreed with the home secretary that he had Vietnamese nationality under that country’s law.

Last November Pham appealed that decision at the Supreme Court. His lawyers said he automatically lost his Vietnamese citizenship on gaining British citizenship.

In a three-minute hearing at the Supreme Court today, Lord Justice Carnwath said there was “no evidence of a decision by the Vietnamese government to treat Pham as a non-national”.

Pham was therefore “not stateless at the time of the [home secretary’s] decision,” he added
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    JimothyD wrote: »
    Those that attempt to return should be arrested immediately and sent to a barren prison island in Scotland. There, they will be forced to live a typical Scottish existence - nothing to eat but gruel, incessant sound of bagpipes, wet and cold all year-round, nothing on TV but BBC Scotland.

As opposed to living in the South of England where a typical GP appointment waiting time is 4 weeks, where the most common kids name is Mohammed, where the English language is the second language in a LOT of classrooms and where the whole lifestyle is a rat race? Why would you want to reward them by sending them to Scotland? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As opposed to living in the South of England where a typical GP appointment waiting time is 4 weeks, where the most common kids name is Mohammed, where the English language is the second language in a LOT of classrooms and where the whole lifestyle is a rat race? Why would you want to reward them by sending them to Scotland? :confused:

Well said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I mean full legally obtained British Citizenship.

First link

The follow up, your second link.

"Of the 24, 20 were deprived on conducive grounds alone; two on both conducive and fraudulent grounds and two because of fraud, false representation or concealment of facts."

Also, I did read the article. The point is that our courts will decide whether or not depriving the person of citizenship will make them stateless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Of the 24, 20 were deprived on conducive grounds alone; two on both conducive and fraudulent grounds and two because of fraud, false representation or concealment of facts."

Also, I did read the article. The point is that our courts will decide whether or not depriving the person of citizenship will make them stateless.

Yes the point and one I was making is that no full legal British citizen can be made stateless, so I don't understand why you posted the links.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes the point and one I was making is that no full legal British citizen can be made stateless, so I don't understand why you posted the links.

This is your post to which I originally replied.
    Can you supply a link please and supporting evidence of any full British citizen having their passport revoked.

You did not even mention the word stateless, so how was I supposed to know that was your point?
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    No they shouldn't. They will be though. It's about time the law was changed to fit the current situation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No times change, and I am many former participants in other conflicts have settled in the UK. Britain and the US even recruited former Nazi scientists. I dont see why members of Isis should be treated any harsher than Nazis once they have been defeated.
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    The only problem I have with not letting them back is when families go. If a family goes and then attempts to come back and they are not allowed, would that apply to all members of the family, no matter how young? It seems wrong sending, for example, a three year old or a seven year old back into a war zone when they wouldn't have had any say in the first place
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unlike you I have, well to topic anyway.

You seem to be looking for excuses to allow them back.
    You mean 'to be looking at the actual legal position'.
    First link

Second link

Until he did he could not be stripped of his British citizenship as that would render him stateless. She failed.

https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/2014/07/11/al-jedda-the-man-mentioned-11-times-by-home-office-as-it-tried-to-change-immigration-bill/

There are a very small number of people where this is true. They continue to live in the UK, since we are not, even with Theresa May in government, so heartless as to take them out to sea and throw them out of helicopters like Argentinian fascists. Since they have no right to work or claim any benefits over their £25 a week food stamps, they have a pretty miserable time on the whole.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imo, they should be accepted back as war criminals and tried as such. Wishful thinking but that's what I think anyway.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Imo, they should be accepted back as war criminals and tried as such. Wishful thinking but that's what I think anyway.

I think that regardless of public opinion this Govt and the opposition govt will allow them to return to GB
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cessna wrote: »
    I think that regardless of public opinion this Govt and the opposition govt will allow them to return to GB

sadly government does not give a damn about public option