Options

Lib Dem Reveals Plans On Tory Welfare Cuts

124»

Comments

• Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    Limiting child benefit to the first two children is a great idea and one I've been banging on about for years. The state helps with the healthcare of the pregnancy and the birth, will educate the child until it's 19 and will even pay the parents a monthly fee for doing so.

Why shouldn't the monthly pay packet be limited to the first two children? No one is saying that you can't have more, and we'll still cover the healthcare and education, just saying that if you do want more you'll have to be responsible and ensure that you have considered the financial implications.

Doesn't work though. It doesn't save any significant money between now and 2020 - because you can't make it retrospective. And, if its intended to condition behaviour, you still have the problem of the irresponsible, the religious and the accidental - you can't just leave the children with no money to live on when they do arrive. Its the sort of idea IDS would come up - with that any serious political leader will veto.

As someone said above, if you don't care about the children. you just cap the allowance total - that doesn't impact most poeple not on benefits. and its not specifically a cut in anything with the word child in its name.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,432
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Lib Dem Reveals Plans On Tory Welfare

Cuts http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/29/danny-alexander-tory-plans-welfare-cuts-child-benefits

IDS really hates children

The Conservatives have discussed other options too such as tightening up the eligibility for Carer's Allowance and those cuts options are listed here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32084722

Alexander's remarks are almost certainly true, despite the Conservative denials, and the harsh cuts that have listed in those two news reports above, or similar ones, will almost certainly be back on the drawing board again as part of the £12 billion benefit cuts if the Conservatives form part of the next government.

This announcement by Alexander was almost certainly cleared by Clegg and it was presumably issued today to cause maximum destabilisation to the Conservatives on the day of the live Question Time sessions with the party leaders. Although I doubt it will help to save Alexander in Inverness, it might cause some wavering voters to think again about how they're going to vote now that they know what the implications of voting Conservative will mean.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »
    Wow, Danny Alexander taking the Tories down with him now he's realised he's gonnna lose his seat?!

He's a liar, a cad and a bounder.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AndyCopen wrote: »
    Remind me again please, why do I have to fund people to breed ?

Because it's cheaper than taking their children into care.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is a "state funded kid"? Anybody who receives child benefit? Those aren't just the poor.

Any child that uses the NHS, goes to a state school, enjoys the protection of the police and social services, walks on pavements maintained at public expense - well, I think that must be all of them.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecco66 wrote: »
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=40064371&postcount=19

You were certainly posting the day before....
    Someone was posting, it can't have been me as I was in Turkey walking the Lycian Way.

Do you often stalk other posters?
  • Options
    ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone was posting, it can't have been me as I was in Turkey walking the Lycian Way.

Do you often stalk other posters?
    So this log in is not just one person but an anti-Tory collective? Good to know. There are many of you who share this ID then.

Stalk!! How funny, I just know how to prove a point ethel. Which I have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecco66 wrote: »
    So this log in is not just one person but an anti-Tory collective? Good to know.

Stalk!! How funny, I just know how to prove a point ethel.
    "Pot etc" is not proving a point, it's avoiding the matter. It's used by people who are unable or unwilling to answer a question with the truth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Pot etc" is not proving a point, it's avoiding the matter. It's used by people who are unable or unwilling to answer a question with the truth.
    OK, so let's get this right.

1. You stated you could not have discussed regionalisation of public sector salaries because you were out of the country and away from any tech.

2. I did a simple search that showed that ethel_fred posted on 5/5/2010 on this site, this being the date before the last general election. Therefore, your claim mentioned above is untrue.

3. You accused David Cameron of being untruthful, I called you out on it because you did exactly the same thing.

4. You are now deflecting that. The internet does not lie. You were posting on this site regardless of where you were in the world despite you denying it utterly.

QED.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave didn't deny they'd cut Child Benefit if elected.
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member

True
    After seeing how Clegg was torn apart for t his betrayal because of tuition fees he's probably being careful
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    It's about time they cut children related benefits tbh
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So? Why do you think you hold the moral high ground after our recent discussions on this thread from page 3 onwards?
  • Options
    Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

yes he did. i watched todays interview on itv news at 6.30pm. he was asked if child benefit levels would remain the same and he said "correct".

feel free to watch on itvplayer.
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    yes he did. i watched todays interview on itv news at 6.30pm. he was asked if child benefit levels would remain the same and he said "correct".

feel free to watch on itvplayer.

And you believed him?

Do you also believe in unicorns and leprechauns?
  • Options
    Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And you believed him?

damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.
    if you are calling him a liar, then if he had said "yes i am cutting child benefit" would you have believed him then?
    Do you also believe in unicorns and leprechauns?

no. only trolls.;-)